Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Raw_Beef posted:

What happens if you dont turn it off?

You have an unexpected moving load on your jack or lift.

Which obviously can end quite poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I know you guys like to trash on the 90s cavalier, but how were the early ones?

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/3359969351.html

Clean as hell, low miles and I love me some boxy 80s cars.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Cage posted:

My folks had an '85 hatch. It was your standard lackluster 80s GM car. Gas mileage sucked, it had no power, and it liked to eat parts. It was finally given up on in '91 when it was time for a new motor and transmission - at something paltry like 60-70k.

So, this one has a new transmission. I guess that is a point in its' favor.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Cage posted:

:stare: I don't think I've ever seen one of those in that kind of shape. That said, this is one of the cheapest cars produced by GM at the height of the malaise era. This car was a step (or two) behind the competition in 1983, if that says anything.

Cool for a "you don't see many of those anymore" factor, but not for something you would actually have to drive around in.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Raw_Beef posted:

Shop procedure for all FoMoCo cars with air-ride from the late 80s through 90s is to pop the trunk and hit the switch turning the air system off. What happens if you dont turn it off? :shrug:
I'm not going to be the guy who found out the hard way. I assume it gives a signal from the level sensor that freaks the leveling computer out, possibly making it overinflate and burst, worst case.

It's actually the opposite! The sensor sees the rear wheels dropping down which it interprets as the car's rear end rising way up, and it fully deflates the airbags to try and bring it back down. Then, when you put the car back on the ground, the now-deflated airbags collapse in on themselves, which combined with the weight of the car pinching down on them usually winds up puncturing them. Turning the switch off seals the valves so they maintain constant inflation.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Fucknag posted:

It's actually the opposite! The sensor sees the rear wheels dropping down which it interprets as the car's rear end rising way up, and it fully deflates the airbags to try and bring it back down. Then, when you put the car back on the ground, the now-deflated airbags collapse in on themselves, which combined with the weight of the car pinching down on them usually winds up puncturing them. Turning the switch off seals the valves so they maintain constant inflation.

I had the pleasure of watching a Mark VIII do a little dance in traffic several months ago.

The car was driving down the road and the backend went to the sky and the front end went to the ground.

The startled driver pulled to the shoulder and I saw the front end go up and the backend go down.

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

:staredog:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cage posted:

I can't imagine that the J-body wasn't being slowly improved over those decades. Which of course means the early ones were pretty awful.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

I had an '85 Opel Ascona which was a J body that I was surprisingly quite pleased with. But it had a 5 speed and I think put together much better than any J body in the states.

Also my buddy had a '91 Mark VII Bill Blass edition was a pretty awesome car back in 2000 when it was only a 9 year old car. He sold it to his brother and... it hasn't aged very well since.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

kimbo305 posted:

I can't imagine that the J-body wasn't being slowly improved over those decades. Which of course means the early ones were pretty awful.

The Holden Camira was Wheels magazine's "car of the year" in 1982, and the Opel Ascona came second place in the "European car of the year" in 1982. :laugh:

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3460537006.html

Looks like a pretty sweet ride...

Looks pretty straight?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/3482486094.html

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I had an '87 Firenza J-body coupe that I actually liked quite a bit. It drove and rode pretty well, and was fairly reliable until I discovered the hard way that a previous owner had poured a bunch of goop down the radiator and I had to replace nearly everything in the car that was ever touched by coolant. If it wasn't for that, it would have been a decent little car.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012
i don't know what this is, but i kinda like it.

quote:

I have my '86 Starion up for sale. I am not excited to sell my car, but unfourtanetly I need more of a family car.

The transmission is freshly rebuilt, complete tune up has been done, the interior is clean, body is straight, and fresh paint. The car has some sort of boost leak that I don't have the time or knowledge to trace. The car has a fresh 18G turbo, the A/C works but it needs a charge, power door lock and windows, and apexi n1 full turbo back exhaust. I'm asking 4,500.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3483006666.html

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

shoopeach posted:

I think it's a 1986 Mitsubishi Starion

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Wu-Tang clan aint nothin to gently caress with.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
http://bringatrailer.com/2012/12/14/11500-rpm-yamaha-r1-powered-1970-mini/

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pro-...ht_22360wt_1161

quote:

The car has easily of documented 160 hours of labor into it and is the fastest FWD car I've ever been in. The butt pucker factor is HIGH once you get above 7000 rpms and it will stretch its legs all the way to 12,500rpm.

Shifting is sequential like a motor cycle. Mechanical reverse knob is mounted just below the shifter. You can go through all 6 speeds in reverse if you were crazy enough.

:stonk:

quote:

Up for sale is my 1970 Austin Mini. I had intended to convert this vehicle to a full blown Yamaha R1 conversion and halfway during the conversion I became chronically ill.
8/29/2012 BUY IT NOW. TO 25k I have over 50k in receipts! Have the coolest sleeper in your state that sounds like an F1! I want this car sold so I can pay medical bills!

Oh. :smith:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Fucknag posted:

Reminds me of a letter to the editor I read a few years back on Old Cars magazine - a guy wrote in about he & his friends messing with his neigbour's '66 Imperial self-levelling suspension, which apparently was active all of the time - they would sit on the rear bumper, which would cause to air pump to run & level out the car. The owner would come out in the morning & find the rear end end of the car way up in the air.

VV apparently not. They would bounce up & down on the rear bumper & it would keep rising until it maxed out. I think it had to be started to release the bag valve. Apparently the designers had not accounted for load changes after the car was hut off & vacated.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 17, 2012

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

Reminds me of a letter to the editor I read a few years back on Old Cars magazine - a guy wrote in about he & his friends messing with his neigbour's '66 Imperial self-levelling suspension, which apparently was active all of the time - they would sit on the rear bumper, which would cause to air pump to run & level out the car. The owner would come out in the morning & find the rear end end of the car way up in the air.

Wouldn't it just adjust itself back down once they got off it?

RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008

Cage posted:

I had an early Cavalier, bought it for $400 with a blown head gasket. Fixed it up with new tires and everything, all said and done the car cost $800. Drove it for about 2 years before the transmission went out in it and sold it to family for $200.

It got 20-24 MPG depending on the season, and highway travel was pushing it for that little car. Wind/road noise in that car was insane on the interstate, especially with the engine screaming along.

I would buy one for a couple hundred dollars just for the utility, or for a cheap backup beater. I would never pay more than scrap value for one though, regardless of how "clean" it looks. It was never worth much in the first place.

who is spain
Oct 28, 2010

Awesome, this would be just what you need to re-enact The Wedding Singer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_-WRcUeHaY

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

shoopeach posted:

Its the Mitsubishi Starion/Chrysler Conquest. They are a hoot of a car to drive. A complete turd off the line, but once the boost builds holy gently caress! My buddy had one in college and it was fun as hell, but it seemed like it was a pain to keep running.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Someone please buy this.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Mother of God...

This is beautiful. It's great to see someone that did things in the right order.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
The ad lies, it does not need body work. It is perfect how it sits. I would buy that and not change a thing. Those wheels are awesome.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
KEYWORDS

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I don't even like muscle cars and I would drive the poo poo out of that, as is.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
A sperg is fine, too.

AWESOME Christmas Gift BMW convertible LIKE NEW conditon - $5999 (So Reno):

quote:

Talk about a BREATHTAKING CHRISTMAS PRESENT...this car is in like new conditon, you would be very hard pressed to find ANY car this clean and mechancally strong at this price...drive this perfect car anywhere...you will want to be sure to see this stunning BMW convertible in excellent condition. 1994 Mechanically perfect, runs incredible. EXCELLENT gas mileage 318, far better than 325 for economy, but still has great pep. Perfect for a daily driver that is super fun, classy, and economical. Everything checks out in good working order. This little gem has spent most of its life in the garage. Low mileage w/all options. Be careful before buying another one. Most all these cars photo well, but check out mine first before buying elsewhere. The paint is like new, a beautiful low maintance "teal" or "robbin's egg blue" with cream/tan interior. I have Ram's Head sheepskins in it, but only to protect the upholstery that is like brand new. the condition of the upholstery sets it apart from others for sale. The black ones and/or black interiors age very poorly. This is the best color combo. Pull back or remove the front sheepskins and you will see that BOTH of the front seats show no wear, like they are new. Even all the BMW badges are like new, even BMW logos on the valve stem caps on the tires. CD strereo, top and back window look like they are brand new, that is how well this car has been maintained. Oil changes at 3,000 miles or less. Two sets of floor mats, one black, and another new set in cream w/BMW logo from dealer. The price is firm, you will get what you pay for, so don't waste time if not serious. NO SCAMMERS, NO "internet" offers, No marketing services, so "send me money to ship" scams. I am an obessive/compulsive car owner...hard to live with, but PERFECT to buy from...lol!!! More pics to come, just wanted to get it listed fast...775-527-3609 cell for message. see also Mercedes, Saab, Volvo, Audi.
Please indicate your first and last name in your email and phone number please. This is priced high due to RARE CONDITION...a great classy car that costs very little to drive & maintain. Beware of the larger engines, like the 325, their "serpentine belt" goes out early/often and is expensive. No BMW for sale locally as clean/nice as this, I have seen them all.

NO SCAMMERS, NO OFFERS OVER THE INTERNET. NO TRYING TO SELL ME YOUR MARKETING SERVICES. This car is located/registered/driven in Reno, NV. It would be worth the drive to view and buy it. It is intentionally selling for above bluebook value based on it's rare and excellent conditon, so no low ballers plz. thx

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well obviously they put a flock of sheep in the car to protect the immaculate leather seats.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I have what looks to be the same seat covers and they are awesome :colbert:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That seems like a lot of money for a first year 318i convertible.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

rscott posted:

That seems like a lot of money for a first year 318i convertible.
That's a hilariously high price for a 318i convertible.

I would expect to pay MAYBE $1k more than that for a '95 M3 vert in good condition.

obscure_reference
Jan 7, 2012
"And then there's the custom camo paint job..."

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/3468653075.html

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Love that his "dual battery system" is just a second battery connected with jumper cable zip-tied across the engine bay.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

Love that his "dual battery system" is just a second battery connected with jumper cable zip-tied across the engine bay.

That's also so it will survive EMP.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I spent the first 22 years of my life in that area. I can't say that truck surprises me. Most people who live in that area of Ohio somehow consider themselves a roughneck, even though they all live in the burbs.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

It's a petrol motor yet pre electronics?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You Am I posted:

It's a petrol motor yet pre electronics?

Yeah......

The most complicated things in there are diodes, capacitors, and relays.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
THE WORLD'S BESTEST ULTIMATE CAR[ ($3,000):

Craigslist posted:

whole car must go no title.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

I know someone here really needs an interesting resto project...

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/3436309394.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

relative_q posted:

I know someone here really needs an interesting resto project...

That's pretty much a poo poo 1800 at a poo poo price.

Yeah, they're cool....but that's a $600 parts car.

It's a rusty wreck with a poo poo interior that will cost more than the car is reasonably worth to purchase or reupholster/carpet correctly......at pretty much any price. Never mind that one.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 19, 2012