Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Not sure if this is the place to ask, but I'm trying to understand the fish industry in the United States (or specifically West Coast). Like when I go to a sushi restaurant, how long ago was it caught? Does it vary depending on the restaurant? Do different restaurants buy from different sources that are "closer" to the fishermen? Or does everyone pretty much buy from the same purveyors? Things of that nature. Any links or reading material would be great. I just wanna know as much as I can because it's fascinating to me for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I've got another mystery ingredient question (because I know you love them oh so much). I bought a little baggie of mystery spice at an international grocer in the mexican section labled "Tilo Estrella" or "Tilo Star". It smells faintly of dried chilis. Any idea what to use it in? Google suggests it's supposed to be a medicinal herb for helping sleep, but I can't find any mention of culinary uses. It looks like this: http://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/6894788/il_170x135.334771449.jpg. Anyone know of a culinary use, or is it just a mexican sleep herb, or should I just put the whole bag in a cup of water and sleep for a few days straight?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

The last time I made fresh pasta I just dried it briefly and then froze it. Still cooks up in about 2-3 minutes.

if it's only for a day or two just toss in rice flour or semolina and cover with a sheet of parchment in the fridge just make sure that they don't get wet. (if you use regular whet flour the pasta will soak it up and stick)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Golbez posted:

I grated some ginger on Friday, today is Tuesday. What we didn't use has been in the fridge since. How long will that be good?

You've got maybe a day before the ginger is pretty worthless. Ginger is cheap, use fresh stuff.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Kenning posted:

You've got maybe a day before the ginger is pretty worthless. Ginger is cheap, use fresh stuff.

Really, even unpeeled stuff? I've had a root for nearly 2 weeks in the fridge, I just used it and it's fine.

Also like many things price isn't the problem, it's the travel time. If I could throw a dollar into my fridge and pull out a piece of ginger I'd pay the extra.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Kenning posted:

Yeah that's rubbish. Ive been working on a 1 lb bag in my crisper drawer that is a month old and is just as firm and fresh as the day I bought it.

Edit: so yeah use fresh. There's no reason not to.

Edit2: derp context. Yeah. Already grated ginger dies fast. Prep fresh.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 18, 2012

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Quick question on lowest-common denominator deserts; i.e. chocolate + booze.

Usually for brownies I usually bake them at a slightly lower heat and longer for dense fudginess, and either just make them with bacon grease in place of oil, or mashing the crust and pouring a good half-cup or more of fruit-infused hard liquor over them in the last five minutes of baking.

I want to do something with slightly more effort this time for a dinner party, but not much harder since I'm cooking more dishes. What say I make regular brownies, and after they're done mash up the crust a bit and pour over it a reduction of red wine and dried cherries?

Something kind of like this: http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2010/07/cherries-in-red-wine-syrup-fresh-cherry-recipe/

But I don't think I'll need added sugar (or not much) because of the sugariness of the dried ones. Does that seem a reasonable method, or am I going to be spending forever and a day getting the wine reduced enough to be syrupy-oozy and not too watery so as to get the brownies gooey but not watery as I pour the liquid on them?

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird
Just a quick question, I have a recipe that requires Heath Bars, however I am in Australia and they do not sell them here. Is there a rough Australian equivalent? I don’t need an exact, a rough estimate will do.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

They're basically toffee.

edit: If you can't find pre-made toffee in stores, this is basically a recipe for a Heath bar: http://candy.about.com/od/carameltoffee/r/englishtoffee.htm

Hawkperson fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 19, 2012

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird
Thanks Hawkgirl! I had thought they were flavoured or had extra bits inside or something.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I don't know what recipe you're using, but I'm willing to wager that using Violet Crumble would be loving delicious.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Hello GWS. I'm making some mayonnaise soon, and I'd like to be able to store it for later. Are there any special procedures I need to go through to make sure I'm being sanitary in my storage? Obviously, using an airtight container and keeping it refrigerated. Is there any particular container material I should use - plastic or glass? If I use glass, should I boil my containers and lids first to disinfect them?

I would ask the jamming/canning thread, but 1) I'm not sure if my question really applies to their thread and 2) it seems to have disappeared - I can't find it, at least.

vvv - thanks! I'm still new to actually making my own stuff from scratch, so I just wanted to check in case I'm at massive risk of killing myself or something.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 19, 2012

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Don't worry about it so much. I just use tupperware and wash it. It's fine.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

thehandtruck posted:

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but I'm trying to understand the fish industry in the United States (or specifically West Coast). Like when I go to a sushi restaurant, how long ago was it caught? Does it vary depending on the restaurant? Do different restaurants buy from different sources that are "closer" to the fishermen? Or does everyone pretty much buy from the same purveyors? Things of that nature. Any links or reading material would be great. I just wanna know as much as I can because it's fascinating to me for some reason.

This book might help:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Sushi-Economy-Globalization-Delicacy/dp/1592403638/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355893322&sr=8-1&keywords=sushi+economy

All of your sushi fish should be frozen at some point to kill parasites.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
Any quick suggestions for meals that I can make a big batch of once a week, to take to work? I've been doing linguine with beef, chili, stew, shake and bake chicken, beef with rice and beans. I was thinking of something with lentils, but I don't really care for soup...

A few more ideas would be great! I don't have a slow cooker, but I do have a dutch oven.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Lasagna. Make a big tray, cut into single serve amounts and refrigerate/freeze.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Saint Darwin posted:

Really, even unpeeled stuff? I've had a root for nearly 2 weeks in the fridge, I just used it and it's fine.

Also like many things price isn't the problem, it's the travel time. If I could throw a dollar into my fridge and pull out a piece of ginger I'd pay the extra.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Yeah that's rubbish. Ive been working on a 1 lb bag in my crisper drawer that is a month old and is just as firm and fresh as the day I bought it.

Edit: so yeah use fresh. There's no reason not to.

Edit2: derp context. Yeah. Already grated ginger dies fast. Prep fresh.

Oh for sure – whole, unpeeled ginger lasts quite a while. It's just the grated stuff that becomes sawdust quick-like.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
lentils are really versatile! you can cook them until just cooked in seasoned water, strain the liquid, and add chopped vegetables and dressing for a cold or warm salad.

you can also use more liquid and cook them a little longer, and serve them in a style similar to baked beans; microwave and serve hot as a side.

I also like curries as a big-batch meal, it reheats well and you can even preportion rice and sauce into microwaveable containers to take to work/reheat single portions.

You should also look into cooking off large(ish) batches of a protein with fairly neutral seasoning (salt pepper onion garlic) then you can use them in lots of other stuff. Easy examples are slow-cooked pork shoulder or whole roasted chickens. Both can be thrown into the dutch oven inside the big oven and roasted at 320F, the chicken for 90-120 minutes, pork for more like 5-8 hours. You can shred the meat and use it in sandwiches, add a handful to pasta/sauce, make tacos/burritos/enchiladas etc. It's a good way to buy a large portion of something (usually a better value) and use it all without getting bored of it.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

JD posted:

Any quick suggestions for meals that I can make a big batch of once a week, to take to work? I've been doing linguine with beef, chili, stew, shake and bake chicken, beef with rice and beans. I was thinking of something with lentils, but I don't really care for soup...

A few more ideas would be great! I don't have a slow cooker, but I do have a dutch oven.

Could do daal with the lentils, then serve over rice for a more curry-ish meal than soup-ish. Also, I feel you are missing generic Asian stir fry thing (for huge batches, just saute everything separately in neutral oil, then make the sauce, then combine), generic curry thing with meat in it, pot roast (I guess that's essentially stew), risotto, and more pasta dishes. And salads including potato and meat (chicken/tuna) salads, although I guess those don't have quite the shelf life.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
You guys are awesome thanks. All those ideas sound amazing right now. The shredded meat in the dutch oven is going to be especially useful!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm trying to prep as much stuff for my Christmas dinner in advance. One of the items I'm making is a bacon-onion-cream sauteed green bean dish. Would I be able to blanch and shock these green beans in advance and just bag em in the fridge for a few days? It would save a lot of hassle the day of if I could just toss em into a hot pan right away instead of having another burner taken up with a pot of water.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm trying to prep as much stuff for my Christmas dinner in advance. One of the items I'm making is a bacon-onion-cream sauteed green bean dish. Would I be able to blanch and shock these green beans in advance and just bag em in the fridge for a few days? It would save a lot of hassle the day of if I could just toss em into a hot pan right away instead of having another burner taken up with a pot of water.

Do it the day before, any longer and they're going to degrade.

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can someone recommend a a simple and cheap vacuum sealing system for trying out sous vide? I'm interested in trying this out but not enough to drop $100 on it right out of the gate.

Also, does anyone have a suggestion for a basic cooking techniques book that emphasizes general principles and methods over specific recipes? I am trying to get our household away from strict adherence to recipes because, well, I find shopping for and preparing them boring.

Bass Concert Hall fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 19, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Bass Concert Hall posted:

Can someone recommend a a simple and cheap vacuum sealing system for trying out sous vide? I'm interested in trying this out but not enough to drop $100 on it right out of the gate.

Also, does anyone have a suggestion for a basic cooking techniques book that emphasizes general principles and methods over specific recipes? I am trying to get our household away from strict adherence to recipes because, well, I find shopping for and preparing them boring.

Reynolds Handi vac or equivalent. Or a used foodsaver. I got mine off craigslist for 25bux with 3 rolls of bags.

Ruhlman's Ratio and Modernist Cuisine

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 19, 2012

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Take a heavy ziploc bag, put your ingredients in and seal everything but the very end. Use a straw to suck out the air, pressing the bag tightly around the straw, and sealing the bad very quickly. With practice, it will get you 95-98% of the way to a vacuum sealer's level for less than $0.25.

There's also the water method, where you dunk the ziploc into water and the water presses out the air for you.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Very cheap and works well enough.

http://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Vacuum...acuum+seal+bags

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
What would you guys say is a good cheese for refried black beans? Cotija? Cheddar? Monterey Jack?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like queso fresco for that.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

CloseFriend posted:

What would you guys say is a good cheese for refried black beans? Cotija? Cheddar? Monterey Jack?

Cotija.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Someone posted a recipe here a while ago for chicken marinated in a mint sauce and grilled on skewers for a sandwich. I think it was in a local foods thread from NY. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012
Stupid questions ahoy!

Whats the best way to cook boneless skinless chicken breasts which I intend to chop into thin slices? Simplicity is key here. Tomorrow I'll probably slice one up before I cook it, throw it in a frying pan on medium heat and see how that plays out. I'll be mostly using them for alfredo pasta if that means anything.

For spices, I've heard here that grocery store spice racks are a taboo. I live in Austin TX so I should be able to find some decent fresh spices somewhere.

How long can tilapia fillets last in a freezer in the original sealed package? I FORGOT ABOUT THEM OK.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Black Cat posted:

Stupid questions ahoy!

Whats the best way to cook boneless skinless chicken breasts which I intend to chop into thin slices? Simplicity is key here. Tomorrow I'll probably slice one up before I cook it, throw it in a frying pan on medium heat and see how that plays out. I'll be mostly using them for alfredo pasta if that means anything.

For spices, I've heard here that grocery store spice racks are a taboo. I live in Austin TX so I should be able to find some decent fresh spices somewhere.

How long can tilapia fillets last in a freezer in the original sealed package? I FORGOT ABOUT THEM OK.

Pan fry the entire chicken breast first, then cut into slices.

A bit of salt, sugar, pepper, thyme, oregano, rosemary, basil, and garlic should taste pretty good.

The fish will keep for a couple of years at least. As long as the bag is sealed tight and didn't allow for freezer burn.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Or aņejo.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Black Cat posted:

Stupid questions ahoy!

I prefer to rub the breast in seasoning (salt and pepper at the very least) then sear both sides in a hot oven proof pan to get some color on. Finish it bake in a 350 degree oven, remove when it hits 165. Let it sit a few minutes before slicing.

Placenta_Souffle
Dec 30, 2010

finga lickin good
Question about berries:

Today I bought blueberries, raspberries, mulberries, strawberries to use in a trifle I'm making for Christmas day. Will they still be okay to be used by Tuesday or will I need to freeze them?

And if I need to freeze them, what is the best method to freeze them without them losing their shape?

Art for the sake of making art.

kernel panic
Jul 31, 2006

so we came here to burgle your turts!

loopsheloop posted:

Someone posted a recipe here a while ago for chicken marinated in a mint sauce and grilled on skewers for a sandwich. I think it was in a local foods thread from NY. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Probably chicken spiedies?

Unfortunately I don't have a recipe I can vouch for, but this one looks fairly standard.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Placenta_Souffle posted:

Question about berries:

Today I bought blueberries, raspberries, mulberries, strawberries to use in a trifle I'm making for Christmas day. Will they still be okay to be used by Tuesday or will I need to freeze them?

And if I need to freeze them, what is the best method to freeze them without them losing their shape?

Depends on the freshness and the berries. I'd say probably not great by Tuesday.

Typically when I freeze berries I lay them out on a cookie sheet and freeze them, then put them in a freezer bag once they're frozen. Seems to work okay.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I've... not liked the way berries looked after being frozen and thawed. They're mushy and bleh looking. That's fine if it's going inside the trifle, but if you're using it as topping I suggest buying the berries fresh closer to the date that you're using them.

edit: You have a few days, why don't you try freezing them and seeing for yourself

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 20, 2012

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm thinking about getting my dad a meat grinder and sausage maker for christmas (I've left it a bit late). If I get them separately what size grinder is needed for sausages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Scott Bakula posted:

I'm thinking about getting my dad a meat grinder and sausage maker for christmas (I've left it a bit late). If I get them separately what size grinder is needed for sausages?

Most sausages would use about a 3/16" plate. I'd also suggest getting him a coarser one as you'd probably want to do your grinding in two passes, probably either a 1/2" or 3/8".