Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

smackfu posted:

Why did it only affect fast moving threads? Was it only if the total page count changed?

This app sure has to handle a lot of edge cases.

I don't think that it really only affected fast moving threads, I think that's just where people noticed it most. I think it would happen any time that a new page is added when you refresh. That's a pretty rare occurrence in most threads, but becomes a lot more common if a thread is moving fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

ChetReckless posted:

I'm on 5.1.1 -- I am going to stop being lazy and finally update to 6 tonight and see if that helps.

It disappears when you are going back to the bookmark menu from a thread, using the button in the upper left.

If it helps any, I've got a 1st gen iPad and I have the same issue, but my 4S doesn't. I think it's and iOS issue.

It'd be great if there was a fix or a workaround, but it's understandable that people should be updating - save us old tyme people on 1st gen poo poo that can't. :saddowns:

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I haven't had it happen a single time since updating to 6, so it looks like that might be it. Everything works great now.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:
Bug report: Can't paste URLs grabbed from the "Copy Image URL" button into Messages. At first I thought maybe it was having problems copying .gifs and not .jpgs, but I pasted into Notes and both links I tried worked fine.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Well that's a weird one, but you're right. Never noticed that before.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Any chance the [img] option in the long-press Format menu could include an option to input the [img] tags around the selected text? If I paste in a link to an image URL, the only options are to upload an image.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I'd love an option/toggle that turns avatars off on 3G, but keeps them on on wifi.

Would this be at all possible in a future release?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I'd love an option/toggle that turns avatars off on 3G, but keeps them on on wifi.

Pretty sure thats based on what you set it to in the forum settings, so probably not.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Avatars are absolutely tiny, they won't be making up more than an infinitesimal amount of your monthly allowance.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
I've been having problems loading images on my iPhone 5 with iOS 6 on 3G (haven't tried wifi yet)

They load fine on my ipad though. Clicking on the picture to bring it up into full screen brings up an error code -1001

Great app either way though. Much appreciated

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

This has been happening to me on iPad 1 for a couple months now. Sometimes, you can push the Forums button or the Favorites button, and everything will start working again. Other times, those menus are transparent too. Pulling down to refresh doesn't fix it. I usually have to kill the app and re-start it. I've never seen this bug on iPhone.

mlnhd fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 19, 2012

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

mlnhd posted:

This has been happening to me on iPad 1 for a couple months now. Sometimes, you can push the Forums button or the Favorites button, and everything will start working again. Other times, those menus are transparent too. Pulling down to refresh doesn't fix it. I usually have to kill the app and re-start it. I've never seen this bug on iPhone.

Just came here to post exactly this. Happened to me just now: clean launch of the app, let it refresh bookmarks (default starting view), opened the Vita thread, and when I swiped in to get the bookmarks panel it's the same as the screenshot above. Picking any tab on it gives the same, only fix is to kill it.

Edit: it's just done it again after I posted this and hit the button top left to go to another thread :(

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I'm so confused about what version of Awful I should be following, but whatever just noticed the main (?) one had been updated so lets try this again. 안녕하세요.

Edit: :D you guys can all see that right? It's not just me?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Aatrek posted:

Any chance the [img] option in the long-press Format menu could include an option to input the [img] tags around the selected text? If I paste in a link to an image URL, the only options are to upload an image.

Good chance.

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I'd think the "show images" setting would be more relevant here, but it's a good idea for both. It's on the list.

The Gillman posted:

I've been having problems loading images on my iPhone 5 with iOS 6 on 3G (haven't tried wifi yet)

They load fine on my ipad though. Clicking on the picture to bring it up into full screen brings up an error code -1001

That means the request timed out; the connection might've dropped out for a second. (We re-download the image to show it in full screen. I know, I know; it's on the list.)

mlnhd posted:

JamesOff posted:

Just came here to post exactly this. Happened to me just now: clean launch of the app, let it refresh bookmarks (default starting view), opened the Vita thread, and when I swiped in to get the bookmarks panel it's the same as the screenshot above. Picking any tab on it gives the same, only fix is to kill it.

Edit: it's just done it again after I posted this and hit the button top left to go to another thread :(

Best I can tell is this is some split view bullshit that I've never been able to track down. All I can say is it seems to happen less often in iOS 6. It doesn't happen on iPhone because we don't use the split view there.

BrainDance posted:

I'm so confused about what version of Awful I should be following, but whatever just noticed the main (?) one had been updated so lets try this again. 안녕하세요.

Edit: :D you guys can all see that right? It's not just me?

Looks like some good ol' fashioned Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Vietnamese text to me. And this is an opportune time to say "thanks Geekner!" for telling me how that works on SA.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

pokeyman posted:

All I can say is it seems to happen less often in iOS 6.

iPad 1 :(

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just got an iPad and I dig this version of the app. I would just say that permanent two column is definitely warranted in landscape.

I think that previous posts could be loaded by default after replying. It's weird to be sent back to my post with nothing else there. Maybe that's unnecessary. I'm also on wifi and this device is powerful enough to load the page in a snap unlike my iPhone 4.

The button that brings out the sidebar should move to the right of the sidebar so it can be dismissed more easily by tapping it again. I don't know. I just know it gets clumsy when I'm controlling things with my right thumb. Probably there's no perfect fix.

brap fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 19, 2012

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
"Mark read" no longer seems to work for me (on the latest public version). Tapping it does nothing, no popup dialog like before, and when I go back to the thread I'm tossed to the next page. This happens on both my iPad4 and iPhone5 on 6.0.1.

One other bug, seemingly more sporadic is the "next page" button not always working. I'll tap it, it'll mark all the posts on the page as read, and I have to tap it again to go to the next page. I'm not 100% sure this is still happening as its been 2 or so days since I've consciously noticed it, but I figure I'll put it out there.

E: maybe the "mark read" is kind of working? I just tested it in this thread and it seemed to work. I'll have to play with it more later.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 19, 2012

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

JHVH-1 posted:

How complex would it be to add a toggle for avatar animations so they are displayed but just not animated?

Sometimes I am checking forums when I am tired/sick or when I first wake up and flashing crap all over while I am trying to read text gets annoying.

I don't know if anyone else would use this feature, so if its too complicated then forget it.

I poked around for a few minutes to see if anyone knew how to do this, and the closest I got required cutting up the .gif which is far more work than I'm willing to do. For now I suggest just turning off avatars if they get annoying.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Gasmask posted:

"Mark read" no longer seems to work for me (on the latest public version). Tapping it does nothing, no popup dialog like before, and when I go back to the thread I'm tossed to the next page. This happens on both my iPad4 and iPhone5 on 6.0.1.

Does the network activity spinner spin in the top left, beside where it says "iPad" in the status bar, when you tap "Mark read to here"? It should show an error message if it fails. In 1.9.1 (currently pending approval) it'll show a message on success too.

quote:

One other bug, seemingly more sporadic is the "next page" button not always working. I'll tap it, it'll mark all the posts on the page as read, and I have to tap it again to go to the next page. I'm not 100% sure this is still happening as its been 2 or so days since I've consciously noticed it, but I figure I'll put it out there.

E: maybe the "mark read" is kind of working? I just tested it in this thread and it seemed to work. I'll have to play with it more later.

It's busted if a new page appears when you refresh. Fixed in 1.9.1.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

I just got an iPad and I dig this version of the app. I would just say that permanent two column is definitely warranted in landscape.

Just wrote the code for this, it'll be coming in the next version after 1.9.1.

quote:

I think that previous posts could be loaded by default after replying. It's weird to be sent back to my post with nothing else there. Maybe that's unnecessary. I'm also on wifi and this device is powerful enough to load the page in a snap unlike my iPhone 4.

This is one of those corners in the app where I can't come up with the Right Thing To Do. What's actually happening is you go to the next unread posts after you reply. It's the least bad thing to do right now. I hear you though, it's not great.

quote:

The button that brings out the sidebar should move to the right of the sidebar so it can be dismissed more easily by tapping it again. I don't know. I just know it gets clumsy when I'm controlling things with my right thumb. Probably there's no perfect fix.

When the sidebar is visible the entire rest of the screen becomes a "hide sidebar" button, does that work?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pokeyman posted:

I poked around for a few minutes to see if anyone knew how to do this, and the closest I got required cutting up the .gif which is far more work than I'm willing to do. For now I suggest just turning off avatars if they get annoying.

Assuming iOS is using giflib, there are ways to override the frame delay. So you just set it to some absurdly high number and it's effectively frozen.

I don't know enough about iOS programming to be more useful though.. don't know what kind of access they provide for modifying gif images.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

xzzy posted:

Assuming iOS is using giflib, there are ways to override the frame delay. So you just set it to some absurdly high number and it's effectively frozen.

I don't know enough about iOS programming to be more useful though.. don't know what kind of access they provide for modifying gif images.

It may also be possible to make it cycle just once, which would be close to the spirit of the original request.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pokeyman posted:

When the sidebar is visible the entire rest of the screen becomes a "hide sidebar" button, does that work?

Whoa. So it is. Thanks for the tip.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

xzzy posted:

The entire posts view is a web view (for reasons I covered somewhere in the first few pages of this thread, if you're curious), so we'd be looking for a way to do this with javascript, html, and CSS.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pokeyman posted:

The entire posts view is a web view (for reasons I covered somewhere in the first few pages of this thread, if you're curious), so we'd be looking for a way to do this with javascript, html, and CSS.

Oh, I suppose that makes more sense. :downs:

JS has no access to modifying a gif image's properties, so file that one under "not gonna happen".

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

xzzy posted:

Oh, I suppose that makes more sense. :downs:

JS has no access to modifying a gif image's properties, so file that one under "not gonna happen".

Oh no, it's definitely possible. There are, of course, GIF parsers written in JavaScript, if we need to go that far. And I think you can get the first frame by drawing to a <canvas> then dumping the data back out, so we probably don't need to go that far.

I'll be revisiting animated GIFs sometime anyway as they don't currently work in the image preview. It's on the list, no idea when it'll happen, but it certainly can happen.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Also 1.9.1 is out.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

pokeyman posted:

Also 1.9.1 is out.

Just downloaded! Awesome work. :cheers:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pokeyman posted:

Also 1.9.1 is out.

Sweet. I was starting to worry it wouldn't make the cutoff for Christmas.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The button named "jump to page" should be renamed "go." Also, spoiler tags in the touch and hold menu would be great. Just make it spit out both ends of the tag so you can type in the middle.

Did I miss any word on previews for image uploads?

brap fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 20, 2012

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
spoiler tags are already in the touch menu

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Don't know if it's a big or not but if you have an unread thread in your bookmarks and you swipe to delete it doesn't work.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

pokeyman posted:

Also 1.9.1 is out.

Woo! Bookmarks jump to the first unread post again! App is usable once more, and better than ever. Thanks, pokeyman!

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

pokeyman posted:

Also 1.9.1 is out.

Lookin' gooood. Jumping to the last unread post makes all the difference. Thanks!

There's just the auto-loading of favorites that still bugs me. That and the apparent lack of portrait/landscape mode lock, but that's minor really. Great job!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Woo! Bookmarks jump to the first unread post again! App is usable once more, and better than ever. Thanks, pokeyman!

Sweet, that was my biggest beef with 1.9 :)

pokeyman, could you be a bit more specific in the App Store other than just saying "Bugfixes" ?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

A tiny and rather inconsequential bug:

When opening the forums panel (ipad2, landscape) with a list of subforums open, all the subforums have a white background. If you expand (or condense then re-expand) a list of subforums, they are all colored grey, as it was in previous versions, until the next time the slider is pulled out, where they'll all be white again.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

Realised I should stop complaining and lookit the code myself for the iOS 5 split view disappearing thing. Haven't got my iPad with me but trying to repro it in the simulator at the moment :)

Alligator
Jun 10, 2009

LOCK AND LOAF

mlnhd posted:

this happens all the drat time on my ipad 3, like 1/5 times I try and go back to the thread list.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Is there any way to change the color of a bookmarked thread from in-app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ursine Asylum posted:

Is there any way to change the color of a bookmarked thread from in-app?

No, that's part of the reason I dragged my feet putting the colours back in at all. Eventually I figured the half-complete feature was better than nothing. It's definitely on the list though.

• Locked thread