Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Muffinpox posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrrari REALLY wanted to call it the F150 to spite Ford as a celebration of the 50th anniversary of their original spiting of Ford.
Because that worked out so well for them last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
So with the possibility of the El Camino and GN coming back, has anyone heard anything from Ford about a new Lightning? I used to see the last one all over the place, at least compared to the 454 SS. It seemed like a fun truck, but I was just out of high school and couldn't dream of buying one and I'd rather have had a Syclone anyway.

Glad I'm not the only one that saw that.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

PT6A posted:

Hey, those people aren't cross-shopping. They have one of each! There's never an actual decision between the two.

:clint: I spent 6 months up in Fort Mac and now I got a lifted F150
:jerkbag: Yeah, you and everyone else, bro
:clint: *rolls up in lifted Ferrari F150*
:stonk:

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Jonny Quest posted:

This actually makes sense from a marketing perspective as engine sizes are decreasing whereas John Q Public associates a higher number with newer, better. Now the guy who buys his 2014 turbo Q60 (nee G28) won't feel inferior to his neighbor with the 2012 G37.

It's just slightly more respectable than BMWs make-up-a-number system they have now. I expect Toyota to follow suit when they have to start replacing the 3.5 liter V6 in their Lexus range.

Its essentially the same convention Volvo went to in their last generation in the U.S. I don't think it is a particularly good idea because it doesn't make a big enough distinction between products. I can't see the S-class or 7-series having nearly the cachet they currently have if their products were renamed the Mercedes M70 or BMW B7 while their entry-level brethren were the M40 or B40 respectively.

When someone mentions their S-class, they are letting everybody know that, not only do they a Mercedes, they drive the best Mercedes. Name dropping S80 just doesn't have nearly the same pizzazz.

It took Infiniti a while to produce viable contender in the luxury sector. The G35 really transformed the image of Infiniti from an obscure semi-luxury brand to someone that BMW should keep an eye on. They spent the rest of the decade refining and improving that image, only to throw all of that away.

Kudos Infiniti, Kudos. Congratulations on going from BMW to Acura in a single press release.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 18, 2012

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Linedance posted:

:clint: I spent 6 months up in Fort Mac and now I got a lifted F150
:jerkbag: Yeah, you and everyone else, bro
:clint: *rolls up in lifted Ferrari F150*
:stonk:
All we need to complete that is for Peugeot to build a 3006.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

oRenj9 posted:

I can't see the S-class or 7-series having nearly the cachet they currently have if their products were renamed the Mercedes M70 or BMW B7 while their entry-level brethren were the M40 or B40 respectively

Probably 1 in 100 know WTF that is so your point still stands, just funny that the name you chose happens to be the designation for an even more expensive/exclusive car

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Xguard86 posted:

Probably 1 in 100 know WTF that is so your point still stands, just funny that the name you chose happens to be the designation for an even more expensive/exclusive car

It's kind of odd now(since it's gone) but up to the last gen the B7 was cheaper than the V12 760Li.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Throatwarbler posted:

It's kind of odd now(since it's gone) but up to the last gen the B7 was cheaper than the V12 760Li.

And to boot, the B7 was a better car in just about every meaningful way.

Back in the Infiniti thing, I still can't quite wrap my head around it. Sure it gives their customer base an easy way to show that "mine's bigger" (which is important for the kind of people who buy Infinitis - the crass and the shallow), but it throws away all of the equity they built up over the years in their model range.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

InitialDave posted:

Because that worked out so well for them last time.

God I'd kill to see Ford dump billions into F1 just for a repeat performance of the early 1960's

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

MrChips posted:

And to boot, the B7 was a better car in just about every meaningful way.

Back in the Infiniti thing, I still can't quite wrap my head around it. Sure it gives their customer base an easy way to show that "mine's bigger" (which is important for the kind of people who buy Infinitis - the crass and the shallow), but it throws away all of the equity they built up over the years in their model range.

The QX60 is bigger than the QX 70. v:downs:v

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

MrChips posted:

" (which is important for the kind of people who buy Infinitis - the crass and the shallow),

This is stupid, the G35/37 is a good car in its own right.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sir Tonk posted:

So with the possibility of the El Camino and GN coming back, has anyone heard anything from Ford about a new Lightning? I used to see the last one all over the place, at least compared to the 454 SS. It seemed like a fun truck, but I was just out of high school and couldn't dream of buying one and I'd rather have had a Syclone anyway.

I think the Raptor fills the performance truck slot in Ford's current lineup.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

sanchez posted:

This is stupid, the G35/37 is a good car in its own right.

It's OK, but its nowhere near the best in its class; just because its got the most horsepower and wins the bench race doesn't make it a good car. The interior sucks, it rides poorly and the engine sounds like a food processor. You're pretty much better off in a BMW, a Merc, an Audi and in some cases even a Lexus (if you're looking at the laughable G25).

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
They're also having massive problems with the new 7 speed transmissions which all apparently run like poo poo while BMW and Audi have gone to the well regarded ZF 8 speed.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

MrChips posted:

the engine sounds like a food processor.

Subjectively speaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ0K290U0VE

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Throatwarbler posted:

They're also having massive problems with the new 7 speed transmissions which all apparently run like poo poo while BMW and Audi have gone to the well regarded ZF 8 speed.
I actually just got rid of my 2009 G37 for a 2013 S4. The 7 speed in the G37 is fine, I had a car from the first batch delivered to North America. The problem is people (mainly guys in the early 20s) are driving around with the transmission in the "Sport" setting and then complaing on forums about how harsh the shifts are; especially the downshifts. It says right in the user guide that Sport mode will do this. Having driven in Sport mode vs. regular mode I can vouch for that. The shifts, especially the down shifts are harder but what do you expect? I just left my transmission in regular mode all the time becuase I wasn't interested in having the engine redlining in every day city traffic.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 19, 2012

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

MrChips posted:

It's OK, but its nowhere near the best in its class; just because its got the most horsepower and wins the bench race doesn't make it a good car. The interior sucks, it rides poorly and the engine sounds like a food processor. You're pretty much better off in a BMW, a Merc, an Audi and in some cases even a Lexus (if you're looking at the laughable G25).

It't not best in class, but you can get a fully loaded sedan for cheaper than a barebones BMW / Audi / MB. It's really a case of you get what you pay for.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

VikingSkull posted:

God I'd kill to see Ford dump billions into F1 just for a repeat performance of the early 1960's

Ford actually only invested £100,000 in the Cosworth DFV.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kimcicle posted:

It't not best in class, but you can get a fully loaded sedan for cheaper than a barebones BMW / Audi / MB. It's really a case of you get what you pay for.

I did some surveying and it seems that in terms of lease payments the difference, although it does exist, is very much less than what you might think just looking at the MSRP. The magazine bench racers only ever compare MSRP so it doesn't come up in the reviews but considering 60%+ of BMWs are leased the BMW/MBZ people are probably not paying that much more for their cars. Either the Germans just get better resale or they are subventing their residuals.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

kimcicle posted:

I know which car i'd rather own when the warranty runs out as well. (As an e90 owner its not the bmw)

I didnt buy a g37 because of the interior mainly, if anything that makes me the shallow one.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 19, 2012

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

I did some surveying and it seems that in terms of lease payments the difference, although it does exist, is very much less than what you might think just looking at the MSRP. The magazine bench racers only ever compare MSRP so it doesn't come up in the reviews but considering 60%+ of BMWs are leased the BMW/MBZ people are probably not paying that much more for their cars. Either the Germans just get better resale or they are subventing their residuals.

Anecdotal, but I have two friends who have had three Infinitis between them and their well-optioned leases were cheaper than MB, BMW, and Cadillac. Cadillac was cheaper back in 2007 before GM got stingy and less desperate.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I don't know about the cars themselves, but holy gently caress do Infiniti's commercials annoy the ever living gently caress out of me.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Infinitis coupes are pretty nice but holy gently caress their SUV/whatever the gently caress they are, are loving hideous and make me cringe when I see them.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bob NewSCART posted:

Infinitis coupes are pretty nice but holy gently caress their SUV/whatever the gently caress they are, are loving hideous and make me cringe when I see them.

Check it out, it's the 2014 QX56!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

drgitlin posted:

In money of that era from what I imagine, which was likely a whole years racing budget at the time. Not that it didn't have staying power, it made it in and out of the Turbo era...20 years later.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bob NewSCART posted:

What's the one that looks like a Beluga whale from the front? The first time I saw it I immediately noticed the resemblance.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

sanchez posted:

I know which car i'd rather own when the warranty runs out as well. (As an e90 owner its not the bmw)

I didnt buy a g37 because of the interior mainly, if anything that makes me the shallow one.

Well you clearly didn't buy it for the exterior either. "Sporty" it may be but it's the beige box of sporty cars in the looks department.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

DJ Commie posted:

In money of that era from what I imagine, which was likely a whole years racing budget at the time. Not that it didn't have staying power, it made it in and out of the Turbo era...20 years later.

I think it's a lot less than they spent on the GT40 racing program a few years earlier, and inflation calculators tell me it's only about £1.5-3 million in today's money depending on what index you're using. By contrast, Dan Gurney's V12, in the same year, was six times more expensive: http://www.allamericanracers.com/gurney_grand-prix/eagle_f1-story.html

I think that the DFV needs to be recognized as one of the all-time bargains in racing, even before you think about the fact that it was winning races for decades.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

drgitlin posted:

I think it's a lot less than they spent on the GT40 racing program

I'm pretty sure this is actually what VikingSkull was referring to. The GT40 program was nothing but a giant gently caress you to Enzo Ferrari.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

The Midniter posted:

Check it out, it's the 2014 QX56!

I really want to see an Infiniti version of the Juke.

I actually love the Juke to death as it is and don't care for Infiniti's design language, I just want to see what would happen

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Before I finally decided to buy a BMW 3-Series, I tried out all of its competitors; the C-Class, the A4, the IS300 (and the newer IS250/350) and the G35 (and G37). Before I really knew what any of these cars were like to drive, I actually favoured the G over everything else; actually trying them out made me completely rethink my initial prejudice.

kimcicle posted:

Perhaps in the US you can, but here in the Emirate of Alberta, the cost of comparably optioned G37 and a 335i is within a few thousand dollars of one another.

Throatwarbler posted:

considering 60%+ of BMWs are leased the BMW/MBZ people are probably not paying that much more for their cars. Either the Germans just get better resale or they are subventing their residuals.

Once the cars come back from lease (which is typically three or four years), BMW puts them into the CPO program, where they can essentially control the resale value of their cars.

Not that anyone else in that segment does anything different (Infiniti included).

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

drgitlin posted:

I meant the GT40 at Le Mans. It's one of the greatest moments in all of racing history, and it's the only time an American car company has thrown its full weight behind an international racing series. I've always said that there's no reason a GM or Ford couldn't win a constructors title in F1, there's just no will to do it. Ford partnering with Boeing to poo poo all over F1 would be a glorious thing to behold, if only for the tears generated from the likes of Ferrari.

It's that whole sleeping giant thing.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 19, 2012

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Worked out well for toyota, didn't it?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

VikingSkull posted:

I meant the GT40 at Le Mans. It's one of the greatest moments in all of racing history, and it's the only time an American car company has thrown its full weight behind an international racing series. I've always said that there's no reason a GM or Ford couldn't win a constructors title in F1, there's just no will to do it. Ford partnering with Boeing to poo poo all over F1 would be a glorious thing to behold, if only for the tears generated from the likes of Ferrari.

It's that whole sleeping giant thing.

Why are you so confident that if any American company even lifted it's finger it would absolutely destroy all these European companies who have been doing this poo poo since the start?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Well, in fairness to him, it wouldn't be the first time Ford showed up out of nowhere to humiliate Ferrari.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Q_res posted:

Well, in fairness to him, it wouldn't be the first time Ford showed up out of nowhere to humiliate Ferrari.

It also wouldn't be the first time Ford had an F1 team.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Those cars clearly said 'Jaguar' on the side, I don't know what you're talking about. :colbert:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/video-mercedes-presents-its-new-steering-assist-system-ar140246.html

Is this actually effective? Holy poo poo this is the future

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

Luxury car has fancy gimmick! I dont understand the people who would want this kind of system.
I cringe thinking about servicing this system when its 10+ years old. But by then, its not Mercedes problem anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Raw_Beef posted:

Luxury car has fancy gimmick! I dont understand the people who would want this kind of system.
I cringe thinking about servicing this system when its 10+ years old. But by then, its not Mercedes problem anymore!

I never said I would like it, I love driving, it's just amazing that something that insanely complicated technologically will actually make it to the market and be used on the street(possibly).