Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Renoistic posted:

It was drop-dead gorgeous though. And fun to play to boot!

No disagreements here! Most of the games I advocate here for HD remakes likely sold less than F-Zero GX so it's not like I'm saying games must always make 500K to ever receive a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

OpaqueEcho posted:

Apologies if this has been asked before; I've looked around a bit and also Googled, and haven't found much. New Wii U owner.

Does anyone have issues with Netflix video quality? On my Wii U, it will regularly drop to below-SD quality, and stay there. Meanwhile, my 360 will maintain a clear HD picture all the way through on the same video, and on the same network connection.

I should note that I haven't had the two running at the same time, so I don't think it's a bandwidth issue. Both my 360 and my Wii U are at the same QoS priority setting in my router as well.

Nope, both wireless.

I've had the issue as well. Sometimes the Wii U's netflix video quality will get really crappy at very random times. Maybe its some sort of feature that helps prevent the movie from stopping to load? I've never had the problem on my Wii's Netflix with quality, but it would occasionally stop to buffer.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ChineseConnection posted:

I've had the issue as well. Sometimes the Wii U's netflix video quality will get really crappy at very random times. Maybe its some sort of feature that helps prevent the movie from stopping to load? I've never had the problem on my Wii's Netflix with quality, but it would occasionally stop to buffer.

I noticed that happens very rarely. Didn't happen during Drive, but had it happened at least twice in Always Sunny.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
loving Hulu of all things bricked my Wii U. The install paused 1/5 of the way through and the minutes started ticking upwards. Unplugged it, plugged it back in, and now it just freezes at the home menu right before the Hulu icon is supposed to load.
Yes, I know you're not supposed to turn off power during updates, but do you really think Hulu was going to take an hour to install? This is also the first console I've purchased for myself and wasn't expecting an amateur hour operating system. Watch as I fearlessly unplug my PC in the middle of Windows Update...
Beforehand I deleted the demos for Sonic Racing and Rayman Legends. Wonder if it was related.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

User accustomed to ignoring "Please do not shut off the device" warnings is dismayed and angered when it turns out to be important advice.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I'm used to professional hour where the console bricks for no apparent reason at all. Much better then doing something you know will break it then complaining about it.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"

Supercar Gautier posted:

User accustomed to ignoring "Please do not shut off the device" warnings is dismayed and angered when it turns out to be important advice.

Dude, I know it's a warning but you seriously cannot excuse the entire OS being crippled by one app failure. Imagine if the entire computer became unusable every time you had a program install fail, or lost power. The only time that should matter is during a firmware update during the flashing step. It's not an issue for any other game console, 360, PS3, PSP, PS Vita, even the 3DS.

At worst, you should boot and the OS says "Hulu install was corrupted and was removed" or something. Redownload, life goes on. It's not like cutting power suddenly make Hulu change it's install location to overwrite critical files.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Supercar Gautier posted:

Can you cancel an install? Or if the install freezes is your console automatically bricked? Because if you cannot back out of the install, and you cannot unplug your console, what are you supposed to do?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

skywalker6705 posted:

Dude, I know it's a warning but you seriously cannot excuse the entire OS being crippled by one app failure. Imagine if the entire computer became unusable every time you had a program install fail, or lost power. The only time that should matter is during a firmware update during the flashing step. It's not an issue for any other game console, 360, PS3, PSP, PS Vita, even the 3DS.

At worst, you should boot and the OS says "Hulu install was corrupted and was removed" or something. Redownload, life goes on. It's not like cutting power suddenly make Hulu change it's install location to overwrite critical files.

I agree, its crappy, but saying that failure doesn't happen in other consoles ignores how other consoles just die on their own. 360 and the RRoD is the obvious example, my old ps3 just started flashing a red light one day and wouldn't turn on.

It doesn't excuse this OS failure, but come on making a list of other consoles that don't brick from this particular thing and just poo poo the bed on their own is incredibly disingenuous.

When somebody posts and says "I know about the issue but did it anyway and it broke, WTF" Its pretty silly.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

7K Wii Us were stolen in Seattle:
http://wiiudaily.com/2012/12/nintendo-gets-jacked-2-million-worth-of-wii-us-stolen/

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Bombadilillo posted:

I agree, its crappy, but saying that failure doesn't happen in other consoles ignores how other consoles just die on their own. 360 and the RRoD is the obvious example, my old ps3 just started flashing a red light one day and wouldn't turn on.

It doesn't excuse this OS failure, but come on making a list of other consoles that don't brick from this particular thing and just poo poo the bed on their own is incredibly disingenuous.

When somebody posts and says "I know about the issue but did it anyway and it broke, WTF" Its pretty silly.

Would you take this stance if your computer bricked if iTunes did not install correctly? Because that dude's Wii U broke while installing an application. Not even a firmware update. That's not really the same thing.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

Would you take this stance if your computer bricked if iTunes did not install correctly? Because that dude's Wii U broke while installing an Aapplication. Not even a firmware update. That's not really the same thing.

What stance? That its lovely? Why yes I would.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Bombadilillo posted:

What stance? That its lovely? Why yes I would.

Ah, I read the wrong tone according to your last sentence.

But really, what choice do you have if an install hangs indefinitely and you can't pull the plug? That's basically the console bricking itself because you chose to install something from the eShop, right?

E: Basically, can you cancel an install?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If you are having Netflix problems it is probably because of the wireless connection acting up. Try changing your router settings to either the highest or lowest channel, because Ninentech has trouble with the band in the middle. Your connection should be less intermittent and stream video better, also download updates better.

If you still have trouble with downloads unplug your console like a dumb rear end even though there have been multiple warnings and press releases telling you not to. I'm sure it will be fine!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If the minutes were ticking upwards, the console was still operating, not frozen.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

Ah, I read the wrong tone according to your last sentence.

But really, what choice do you have if an install hangs indefinitely and you can't pull the plug? That's basically the console bricking itself because you chose to install something from the eShop, right?

E: Basically, can you cancel an install?

I don't know if you can, I was too scared to try myself when I did the initial install accidentally instead of letting it background install.

Hopefully Nintendo gets it together soon, they've had to deal with a lot of returns so It must be known. Until then though, for the love of god, don't unplug to try and cancel an install.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Supercar Gautier posted:

If the minutes were ticking upwards, the console was still operating, not frozen.

This is pretty much why Windows and such have silly animations on their progress bars, to assure the user that it's still going and don't close it / unplug it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If anyone wants to cancel an active download, first remember you could have downloaded in the background. Second, instead of turning your console off, turn your router off. The console should throw an error and stop on its own safely if it has no connection at all.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Soul Glo posted:

No doubt that it sucks, but it's hardly uncommon. Both my Xbox360s (which ended up stolen) Red Ringed from just regular gameplay and my PS3 disc drive failed while running Dead Space (and unlike Microsoft, Sony wasn't kind enough to repair it for free).

I do expect better from Nintendo products thouh. My Wii's nearly six years old and still running fine. Hell, my SNES is still functional, if discolored.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Chaltab posted:

No doubt that it sucks, but it's hardly uncommon. Both my Xbox360s (which ended up stolen) Red Ringed from just regular gameplay and my PS3 disc drive failed while running Dead Space (and unlike Microsoft, Sony wasn't kind enough to repair it for free).

I do expect better from Nintendo products thouh. My Wii's nearly six years old and still running fine. Hell, my SNES is still functional, if discolored.

Well, it's not really the same, is it? Literally every bit of hardware ever existed has a fail date, and the newer the console, the more moving parts, and the more moving parts, the more there is to break.

Both RROD (heat damage) and failed disc drives are hardware problems, while the one in question in this thread is a software problem.

I completely understand borking a console by interrupting a firmware update, but an application? That's wild. That's like force ending a Steam install in Windows by Ctrl+Alt+Deleting and then your whole rig dies. Which would be ridiculous, no matter what warnings about force quitting Steam was throwing you before it froze up.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Chaltab posted:

Tell that to my first Wii which had the GPU overheat from using advertised features and Nintendo wasn't gracious enough to repair it for free.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'd love to be on the other end of the phone for that customer service call... "So it specifically says do not turn the power off during installation and you turned the power off?"

Yes, it shouldn't brick a console having an app interrupted when downloading/installing but blatantly doing exactly what it warns you against doing just because the installation time is fluctuating is pretty mind boggling.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

blackguy32 posted:

Tell that to my first Wii which had the GPU overheat from using advertised features and Nintendo wasn't gracious enough to repair it for free.

Hell, talk about the lasers on first-gen Gamecubes. Luckily I got that one fixed by Nintendo.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

blackguy32 posted:

That doesn't sound fair at all; they repaired mine, even paid for shipping and threw in some free Wiimote condoms and straps.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Chronojam posted:

That doesn't sound fair at all; they repaired mine, even paid for shipping and threw in some free Wiimote condoms and straps.

Thankfully, my mom gave me my brother's wii, but then I had the problem of transferring everything. I got the saves over with homebrew but my VC purchases are still on my other console.

Echophonic posted:

Hell, talk about the lasers on first-gen Gamecubes. Luckily I got that one fixed by Nintendo.

This, on the other hand I got fixed for free by Nintendo because it was pretty early in the console's life. The only downside was that Metroid Prime came out while I was waiting to get it back :(. I had to read the manual for a week in anticipation.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Artix74 posted:

You can co-op literally everything in the game. Including that big bad mode you hate that locks all the characters. :ssh:

Having to go back to 4 star everything after you've 3 stared everything to finish unlocking mods is pretty annoying though! And traffic attack becomes harder with coop.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I still haven't had an issue with a Nintendo console or handheld.

...knock on wood.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

So far my biggest issue with a Nintendo product has been a dead pixel on my DS phat. I never actually sent that in to be fixed. No more ever sprouted.

I would never have thought to turn off the router, I admit, but unplugging the console, yes even though it was just a software update, was a silly choice, given you knew better. Yes, it's hosed up that Hulu of all things bricked it but you can't say you didn't know it was a possibility beforehand. (And if the time was just going up it was still working, so you were hasty.)

At any rate I wish I had Sonic Racing now. I asked for it for Christmas. I've basically heard it's the Diddy Kong Racing of this gen.

EDIT: By the way, I haven't actually watched anything on Netflix yet for some reason (just on the WiiU, of course, I watch Netflix all the time) but I've noticed the same sort of random crap blurriness on Amazon Instant as well. However I've also seen that when watching those on my PC so it could be unrelated. (God I love being able to watch Amazon Instant some other place than in front of my goddamn computer.)

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 19, 2012

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I still haven't had an issue with a Nintendo console or handheld.

...knock on wood.

Neither have I. I'm surprised so many people in here had/have problems, I honestly thought Nintendo was still making their stuff out of the Nintendium they made the original Game Boys out of. (Just lighter :v:)

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Ciaphas posted:

Neither have I. I'm surprised so many people in here had/have problems, I honestly thought Nintendo was still making their stuff out of the Nintendium they made the original Game Boys out of. (Just lighter :v:)

They are. Remember all the issues with Wiimotes to the face and through TVs? Good times.

I haven't really thought about transferring my stuff over to the WiiU, but why won't Lost Winds go over? Does that also apply to the sequel? Anybody know?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Ciaphas posted:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The Lobster posted:

They are. Remember all the issues with Wiimotes to the face and through TVs? Good times.

I haven't really thought about transferring my stuff over to the WiiU, but why won't Lost Winds go over? Does that also apply to the sequel? Anybody know?

My guess is simply, it was the first Wiiware game, and released before Nintendo came up with a licensing agreement to future proof virtual console games onto their next systems.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

The Lobster posted:

Stuff with online access won't transfer :iiam:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The Lobster posted:

Both the devs and NOA have said it's a technical issue that pertains only to that particular game, and that there'll be a fix eventually. Same things happened with a few random DSiWare games, too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

skywalker6705 posted:

Dude, I know it's a warning but you seriously cannot excuse the entire OS being crippled by one app failure. Imagine if the entire computer became unusable every time you had a program install fail, or lost power.

I have had to reinstall my OS on multiple occasions by turning it off when installing updates.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Lobster posted:

I dunno about Lost Winds 2, but Lost Winds 1 transferred over to my Wii U no problem. It even said it wouldn't... but it did.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Detective No. 27 posted:

I dunno about Lost Winds 2, but Lost Winds 1 transferred over to my Wii U no problem. It even said it wouldn't... but it did.

*Twilight Zone music*

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Both the devs and NOA have said it's a technical issue that pertains only to that particular game, and that there'll be a fix eventually. Same things happened with a few random DSiWare games, too.

I guess I'll wait. Honestly, even though I've never done any sort of homebrewing or anything, I think I'm going to create a backup before I transfer anyway, so that all my crap will still be on my Wii just in case I really, desperately need it there at some point in the future. Will just have to learn how, whenever the time comes.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

I wonder if Tetris is melted into the handheld.

The Lobster posted:

I guess I'll wait. Honestly, even though I've never done any sort of homebrewing or anything, I think I'm going to create a backup before I transfer anyway, so that all my crap will still be on my Wii just in case I really, desperately need it there at some point in the future. Will just have to learn how, whenever the time comes.

I really don't want to take the chance due to homebrew so I'm leaving my Wii as is. I have a great set up on my desk (I have my TV connected to my laptop so it looks like an upside down 3DS with a big screen on top) where I can have the Wii and Wii U plugged in at the same time. Once I'm done with Xenoblade I got a few Gamecube games to still complete.

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 19, 2012

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

This is the modified intro into the WiiU version of the next Fallout game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ok, I tried to boot up LostWinds and it gave me a message saying it couldn't be launched. My bad. :v: I'm gonna pop in Brawl and see if my save carried over now.

• Locked thread