Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

People are acting like Capcom has personally came to their house and took a dump on their doormat simply because they didn't make a game for the 25th anniversary.

And to make a smug statement like that you have to ignore the other multiple issues Capcom has had dealing with the Mega Man franchise in recent years, let alone their other franchises like Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Street Fighter, etc etc - people take those issues into account when they're discussing a milestone for one of Capcom's most prolific franchises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
How do we know they're not making a (real, non-iOS) game for the anniversary?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

How do we know they're not making a (real, non-iOS) game for the anniversary?

It's Capcom and the fans would like it.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

StevenM posted:

And to make a smug statement like that you have to ignore the other multiple issues Capcom has had dealing with the Mega Man franchise in recent years, let alone their other franchises like Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Street Fighter, etc etc - people take those issues into account when they're discussing a milestone for one of Capcom's most prolific franchises.

Breath of Fire :911:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

dragon_pamcake posted:

Breath of Fire :911:

Where are the BoF games? I'd love a classic throwback.

No punctuation allowed unless it's way too many exclamation points!!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Breath of Fire died because the fanbase complained that Dragon Quarter was too fun interesting well-made original different.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Breath of Fire died because the fanbase complained that Dragon Quarter was too fun interesting well-made original different.

That game was my favorite BoF. :smith:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

blackguy32 posted:

I think he is joking. But in all honesty, it has only been a little over 2 years since the last Mega Man game although I can't really imagine it has been too easy for Capcom since Inafune left them.

That being said, I wonder how good the sales figures for these games have been.

It's been 2 years since Mega Man 10 but how many years since Mega Man ZXA?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Well, being a fan of classic BoF will not neccessarily lead to being a fan of Dragon Quarter, just as being a MM Classic fan won't automatically make you a fan of MMBN or even MMZero.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Himuro posted:

It's been 2 years since Mega Man 10 but how many years since Mega Man ZXA?

About 5, I think.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nah. It's always about the money.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

quakster posted:

Yeah, and they would have made tons of money if BOF fans had any taste at all.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

quakster posted:

Yeah, unfortunately Dragon Quarter sold like poo poo outside of Japan, something like less than 150k in North America. It's a real shame, it's far and away my favorite BoF, and one of my top PS2 games. I wanted to see more like it, but alas, I doubt we'll ever get another BoF, let alone something like DQ.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

So I found out the hard way that Street Fighter x Mega Man can't be stopped.

And by that I mean it keeps counting key presses even while minimized. I went to get a drink and didn't put my headphones back on. I alt tabbed out and wrote some emails, and when I went back to the game I was suddenly back at the title screen. Tested it out and apparently while typing that email I unpaused the game. I must have been on my last life and since the continue screen counts down, I must have not hit any of the game buttons in time.

I really hope they put out in upgraded version, because goddamn there's just a few really obvious problems holding this back from being decent.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

quakster posted:

Mega Man fans don't seem to understand this.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Alteisen posted:

That game was my favorite BoF. :smith:

Didn't the same team go on to do Command Mission and X8?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Brosnan posted:

Mega Man fans don't seem to understand this.
Try nerds and fans in general. :c00lbutt::hf::10bux::hf::hitler:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Alteisen posted:

Where MM doesn't even get top billing.

I'm pretty sure that complaining about Megaman's name not being on top is where you're beginning to sound a little whiny.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

StevenM posted:

Resident Evil is still continuing to sell really well and still has a reliable fanbase. Devil May Cry has really good sales as well.

I know how Capcom has treated the Mega Man X series, I like the Mega Man X series and really enjoyed 8 which ended in a cliff hanger, but if a game get made then it gets made. I won't complain just because they decided to release Xover instead of Mega Man X 9. It isn't like I have already paid for Mega Man X 9 to come out.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
MMxSF, which I won't be able to play until the end of the year (leaving tomorrow, laptop is ubuntu), just reminded me of something.
There were two Megaman crossover fangames in flash,
Megaman vs. Ghouls 'n Ghosts and Megaman vs. Metroid that I played in 2004 that I sort of remember as being pretty good. Each is only a single level but beating one lets you take the weapon into the other level. Author never made anything else. Controls, sound, and graphical effects seem alright, music is newgroundsy remix stuff but whatever, and I don't remember the level design but I think the bosses were pretty fun.

Just wondering how people who've had a chance to play MMvsSF think they stack up to it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LemonLimeTime posted:

Didn't the same team go on to do Command Mission and X8?

I think they made Dead Rising actually.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Obeast posted:

Still better than what Nintendo did for Metroid's 25th anniversary.

I do like Zelda, but they could've at least mentioned Metroid also having a 25th anniversary. :smith:

Nintendo has locked Samus in a cellar until people forget about Other M, and rightly so.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

Tengames posted:

every fandom in existance has a bunch of lovely people in it, that doensnt mean they ruin it for everyone else.

Hey don't make me go to DeviantArt right now in order to prove you wrong.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Where are the BoF games? I'd love a classic throwback.

To give you perspective how bad Capcom is handling all their franchises, Sega is making a new Shining Force game. Sega the company that falls back on a blue hedgehog and coach simulators and ignores everything else, is allegedly making a sequel to a relatively obscure RPG series.

E. Okay that was a bad example, but the point I was trying to make at least Sega attempts to do things to appease their fans even though they are also badly run. Such as when they made those horrible sequels to Golden Axe and Altered Beast,the mediocre Nights sequel, and that Sonic kart racing series. Sega is still bad at it but at least their trying to get some fan support (as well as their cash).

LateToTheParty fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 19, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sega's made tons of new Shining games since the departure of Camelot, including at least one Shining Force game, but they have nothing to do with the original series and are mostly terrible.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

LateToTheParty posted:

To give you perspective how bad Capcom is handling all their franchises, Sega is making a new Shining Force game. Sega the company that falls back on a blue hedgehog and coach simulators and ignores everything else, is allegedly making a sequel to a relatively obscure RPG series.

Sega has also been putting in copyright claims on Shining Force 3 videos on Youtube for over a month now, forcing people to take them down or lose their account. There are rumors that it's not really Sega filing the claims, but Sega themselves have remained silent about the issue despite outcry from the Shining Force fanbase. They even disabled comments and I think also disabled likes/dislikes on trailers of their new game because of people making their displeasure known in those comment sections.

Sega is also pursuing a patent lawsuit against Level 5 for their use of a stylus-based control scheme to move characters and manipulate them in a soccer game. The first Inazuma Eleven game came out in August 2008 and there's been something like 8-9 games and two different anime series based on the games that have come out in that span (the games split off like the Pokemon series where some dudes are only available in one version or the other).

For all the faults and problems Capcom has - especially including the cardinal sin of announcing to the public a game that wasn't actually approved for development and then getting the public involved only to cancel it - I still think Sega looks way worse here.

Sega's made tons of new Shining games since the departure of Camelot, including at least one Shining Force game, but they have nothing to do with the original series and are mostly terrible.

Shining Force Neo and Shining Force EXA are both Action RPGs as opposed to Strategy RPGs, and both disappointed fans of the Force games when that fact was made known. I never could bring myself to try them, but I heard they were mediocre at best.

Shining Force Feather, however, seems like a pretty solid Strategy RPG, but of course it didn't get localized despite the Nintendo DS being a pretty solid landing place for RPGs at the time. There's a fan translation in the works, though!

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 19, 2012

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, not sure how exactly sequels are supposed to be perceived as a positive thing. The only thing that matters is how fun and well-executed a game is, not how many existing brands it is based on.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Shining Force Neo and Shining Force EXA are both Action RPGs as opposed to Strategy RPGs, and both disappointed fans of the Force games when that fact was made known. I never could bring myself to try them, but I heard they were mediocre at best.

Shining Force Feather, however, seems like a pretty solid Strategy RPG, but of course it didn't get localized despite the Nintendo DS being a pretty solid landing place for RPGs at the time. There's a fan translation in the works, though!

There's a whole bunch of them - at least one other PS2 game, a PSP game built on the Valkyria Chronicles 3 engine that still manages to suck, a few arcade games, probably more. It used to irritate me that they weren't making more of an effort to release them internationally but I don't really care anymore, they can keep 'em.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

There's a whole bunch of them - at least one other PS2 game, a PSP game built on the Valkyria Chronicles 3 engine that still manages to suck, a few arcade games, probably more. It used to irritate me that they weren't making more of an effort to release them internationally but I don't really care anymore, they can keep 'em.

Yeah, I know there's tons of them: Heart, Wind, Tears, Cross, etc. I was only listing the ones with Force specifically in the title because two out of three of those were that much more disappointing thanks to not being Strategy RPGs like the Force games of old.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Sega is still treating their old games better than Capcom though. The Sega Vintage collections are a lot more effort and polish than you would expect, and the "Sega Allstars" games are all decent-to-pretty-good. The racing ones especially are pretty nice. Plus lots of HD updates happening for Saturn/Dreamcast era stuff.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I'm at the boss rush right now on SFxMM and I want to loving punch whoever decided that not giving health refills after winning each fight was a good idea. I also would be happy if a save system was put in place so I can quit for tonight because I'm getting tired.

Honestly, this game was actually alright until this point (although the frustration started back in the Vega fight, but that feels like nothing compared to this). I don't think it's as bad as a lot of you guys say it is, but it's definitely not as good as I hoped just because of this sudden difficulty spike.

Edit: Finally beat the boss rush. Thank you again, guys! :)

Edit 2: Game beaten! The final boss was actually one of the easiest bosses in the entire game. All in all, I still think you guys are being too negative about it. It's not a great game, but for the price, I think it's pretty good despite it's problems.

VVV I thought that was part of the background. :doh: Thanks.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 19, 2012

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Obeast posted:

I'm at the boss rush right now on SFxMM and I want to loving punch whoever decided that not giving health refills after winning each fight was a good idea. I also would be happy if a save system was put in place so I can quit for tonight because I'm getting tired.

Honestly, this game was actually alright until this point (although the frustration started back in the Vega fight, but that feels like nothing compared to this). I don't think it's as bad as a lot of you guys say it is, but it's definitely not as good as I hoped just because of this sudden difficulty spike.

Shoot the giant obvious rotating ying yang energy the hands are holding up in the teleporter room.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Dec 19, 2012

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Obeast posted:

Shoot the orbs in the hand to get health.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Having just watched a Mega Man 2 race LP I was in a Mega Man mood. Is this really what they've been releasing for 24 years now? I mean MegaMan 10 (2010) looks to be a step back from Mega Man X (1993). Are they just doing a low budget, nostalgia thing or what's the deal here?

I was a giant fan of Mega Man 2 and rented it a ton, but it looks like they have literally made no progress since then.

Seems like they did the progression thing with the X series, then gave up around 2005?

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
They did progress the series a lot with stuff like the Legends or Battle Network series, but not all of them worked out, and I think just about every recent Mega Man game underperformed.

Mega Man 9 and 10 are the only retro-throwback games they did. 9 is one of the best games in the whole franchise and 10 is still pretty good, so don't be thrown off just because they look old.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I think a lot of people here maybe weren't following the Mega Man Legends 3 cancelation. That was seriously one of the most poorly-handled events in the industry and Capcom handled it gracefully by essentially saying "gently caress you guys". Bear in mind that I'm fairly sure that game had more input from and interaction with fans during development than pretty much anything else they've ever put out.

Then they added Box Art Mega Man to SFxT and made his ending a joke about whining about Legends 3. If that doesn't strike you as kind of a dick move then I don't know what to tell you.

LateToTheParty posted:

Such as when they made those horrible sequels to Golden Axe and Altered Beast,the mediocre Nights sequel, and that Sonic kart racing series.

For what it's worth, the latest Sonic kart racing game is actually balls-out awesome. It's like a cross between Mario Kart and F-Zero (it gets insanely fast and pretty hard) where you can shoot bees at Danica Patrick.

Jeroen
Jun 2, 2004
I have been accused of a stalker!

4 and 6? Yes. 4 through 6? No way. MM5 for life, son.

This has nothing to do with the structure of the game and a whole lot more to do with the fact that there's hasn't been a fully-fledged console release in, what, eight years?

Charge Man has a cool song. Can't recall any of the other themes. It's not bad chiptune music, and I'm sure I'll like it when I give it a listen again. It's just not nearly on par with the soundtracks of 1-3 and 9 from my point of view.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Dragon Quarter was an amazing game on its face, but BoF3 is really the high water mark for the series as it was known. I'd love another game like Dragon Quarter but the Breath of Fire fan in me wants another Breath of Fire game. I don't even call Dragon Quarter by anything but its subtitle because my brain doesn't really recognize it as part of the series, great game or no.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Ryoshi posted:

Then they added Box Art Mega Man to SFxT and made his ending a joke about whining about Legends 3. If that doesn't strike you as kind of a dick move then I don't know what to tell you.

Bad Box Art Megaman is the best thing in SFxT, though. And that's not even a "SFxT is a lovely game" joke, I legitimately think that it was a great way to include the character while keeping true to the "everyone is ugly" thing they have going on in that game.

Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.
Bad Box Art Mega Man is hilarious and if the jokes were on a fanbase you didn't like instead of you, you'd love it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Didn't Inafune specifically give his blessing for Bad Box Art Mega Man? It was also going to be in Mega Man Universe before it got cancelled. I think they just think he's funny, no ill-will intended.