Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

CraigK posted:

Oh, and count the rings, Cub fan

Oh, this is just adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Oh, this is just adorable.

Fun fact: The Cardinals are 3-2 in the World Series vs. the Yankees.

Kicked your rear end in the -ah, I can't do it. Being a smug fan is hard. :(

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

The horror. The horror of it all. Although technically Lincecum is doing better this season too!

Still, at least this season i'm reasonably better equipped to deal with this. Let's have Rodriguez in for Posey, with Posey taking over personal catcher duties for Adams. Votto may have to be out soon, depressingly, but I do at least have options there, so we'll leave that one for another update. Elliott, however, isn't staying in while I have Beltran and a tempting Damon in the minors; let's have Beltran in for Elliott, please.

As for pitching... sigh.

Edit: Whoops, forgot to vote. Apparently Mark Grace isn't going to finish anything he starts today, so C.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 19, 2012

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Mark Grace is going to compete for the Sledding World Championship.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Smasher League Week 3 Injury Report

Lombard St. Gumshoes
Mike Schmidt (3B) (Took a long walk off a short pier) - 10 days

New England Arguments
Roger Clemens (SP) (Price of Victory) - 9 days

Philadelpha Failures
John Candelaria (SP) (Whose shoulder can separate/split right into two?/Rack up a huge ERA and gently caress you over too...the Candy Man can! Yes, the Candy Man can...) - 14 days

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

This is silly. The Rocket rests, make Wakefield the no. 1 starter until he's fit.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

The Candy Man can... go to the minors. Send him down, recall Josh Beckett, and put Beckett in long relief.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
Let's go with B, we've been avoiding the rocket fuel long enough.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League VIII, Dynamo League Week 3: Robert Bork Memorial Edition

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

PESSIMISTS BEAT DERVISHES 3-0, ARE THEREFORE DOOMED

Albany- The Dervishes outhit the Pessmists 7-2. The Dervishes outwalked the Pessmists 4-2. The Dervishes' starter was 300-game winner Gaylord Perry, the Pessimists' starter was Denny Neagle, a profoundly disappointing pitcher who took steroids, was ridiculously overpaid by the Rockies, which led to the comical series of events where Neagle was arrested for trying to solicit a blowjob, which the Rockies tried to use to void his contract. How the gently caress did the Dervishes lose this game?

And yet, they did. Bill Terry and Denny Neagle, the pitcher, hit home runs for the Pessimists, and the Albany club took a 3-0 decision over the ailing Dervishes, who looked completely out of sorts on the field. Beet, still using Stan Musial as an interpreter, was unhappy with the result, at least, that was what Musial expressed to reporters, "Master Beet wishes you to know that-" Beet then angrily whispered something to Musial, "Ah, my apology, Beet has made it clear that calling him 'Master' Beet would lead to an unfortunate double entendre. Moving on, Beet wishes you to know that he is most displeased with the performance of his offense in this game. When he traded Smith for Ripken, the expectation was that his hitting would significantly improve, and yet, as it stands, that improvement has not taken place. Very disappointing. If this trend continues, Beet will make the necessary changes to his roster, and he assures you that they will be harsh."

Despite winning the game, Pessimists' owner BearDrivingTruck was distraught, "Denny Neagle saved our asses? But Neagle can't keep this up, there's just no way. And once he starts sucking, which is inevitable, we're just going to lose, and everything's going to go wrong, and then Smasher is going to write a crappy fanfic obit for me, and I'll feel like even more of a loser. This loving sucks, why can't anything good ever happen to me?"

Box Score

Don May posted:

LOSERS OUTLAST ORANGES 10-9

Rockford- The Oranges-Losers rivalry may never end.

The two teams, who have combined to win the last three Vae Victis Championships, found themselves locked in yet another slugfest today, with the Losers continuing their recent dominance of the series with a 10-9 win.

For a while, it looked as if the Oranges might just sneak out of Rockford with a win, as they held a 9-6 lead going into the bottom of the seventh, and had the sort of deep bullpen capable of closing out games like that. Unfortunately, the Losers kept chipping away at the lead, with the Losers finally erasing completely with a Frank Robinson RBI single in the bottom of the ninth to send the game to extra innings.

The game continued on into the bottom of the eleventh when Tim Raines led off the inning with a double, and was then immediately brought home by a game-winning RBI double from Tony Oliva, playing in place of the injured Oscar Charleston.

ToiletofSadness made it clear that he expected Super-League VIII to be the final battle between the Losers and Oranges, "Hear me now, oldskool, your time is ending! For too long, you have held back my Losers in our struggle to conquer this league. But no more! I have had enough of your interference, and will purge you from this league at any cost! But, I am a fair man. Resign from the league, give me your Barry Bonds, and I will let you pass from this league with honor. Refuse me, and I will unleash an unending stream of humiliations on your team that will leave your team begging for the release of relegation. Consider carefully, oldskool, because I am not a patient man."

In response, oldskool ran up behind ToiletofSadness as he finished his speech, and laid him out with a chair shot, before being dragged away by security, screaming as he left, "If I can rough up Satchel Paige, I can do it to you!"

Box Score

Hardcore Heaven or Hell: Let's Rock!

: And the Unicorns are back and ready to defend their Hardcore Title, and this time, the Intercontinental Title will be on the line as well, as they'll take on the defending Intercontinental Champion Unspecifieds.
: Just to be clear, the Hardcore Title will go to whoever wins this three-game series, but the Unicorns would have to sweep the Unspecifieds to win their fifth Intercontinental Title.
: And that hopes goes out the window almost immediately as the Unspecifieds get a walk-off win in Game 1, and now the Unicorns will have to win the next two just to retain their Hardcore Title.
: Both the Unicorns and Unspecifieds are finesse teams. Not a lot of power pitchers, not a lot of power hitters. Now the Unicorns have brought in Barry Bonds and are trying to become more of a sabermetrically-sound club, but both teams really live and die on their control pitching.

: Unicorns break through with a big effort, and that means tomorrow's game will decide the series and the Hardcore Title.
: And this is what the Unicorns were hoping for when they acquired Bonds, more power, more walks, it's been working well for them so far this season.

: And the Unicorns will retain the Hardcore Title with a win, and that's their first successful defense.
: And the Unicorns offense does look better, with a fascinating combination of take and rake and contact hitters. A really interesting balance that not many other owners have attempted so far.
: And what about the Unspecifieds?
: Well, it's only one series, but the Achilles' heel of their team has always been a lot of contact hitters, and Wagner, Youngs and Frisch was probably just a bit more than they could handle. But, again, it's only three games.

: Moving on, the Unicorns will make their next defense against the Dickshots.
: The Dickshots have some interesting pieces, but their hitters can't draw a walk, and their third starter is Captain America.
: He did fight the Nazis.
: But he is going to take the loss here, as Monicro will stick with him for way too long, and he'll cough up the late lead.

: And the Unicorns win the second game of the series, and will retain the Hardcore title again.
: The Dickshots offense just doesn't quite have the premier offensive talent they need to compete. Just look at their corners, you've got Jackson and Williams. Jackson is a good contact guy, but a corner outfielder that doesn't hit home runs and doesn't draw walks is never going to be elite in the Super-League unless he can steal 100 bases at a very high percentage, which Jackson can't. And Williams does have some power, but he's a step below guys like Bonds and Ted Williams.

: And the Unicorns complete the sweep.
: The Dickshots cannot be happy with how they played that series, and are going to have to ask themselves some tough questions going forward.

: And that will do it for this week. Unicorns retain against the Unspecs and Dickshots. Their next defense will against the Bulldogs, and, depending on how that goes, we'll see either the Unicorns-Dervishes or Bulldogs-Generics.

Team Statistics

Analysis

But seriously, Neagle can't keep this up, although, based on my experience, Mogul is fond of him.

Analysis

You came within one game each of getting the Hardcore and U.S./European Titles this week, but just couldn't quite do it.

Analysis

Doing a little better and, hey, look at that, Feller is actually good this year!

Analysis

McGraw appears to be like some sort of Mega-Rickey Henderson, but I have no idea how long that will last.

Analysis

Unicorns continue cruising.

Analysis

It's not quite coming together yet, but you've still got a bit of time.

Analysis

Well, at least Buck Leonard's back.

Analysis

Somehow, your three best hitters are all hitting under .200. That's can't possibly continue.

Analysis

I'm sure you have a lot to say about your team, and I'll hear about it tomorrow.

Analysis

Why can't you just win 120 games like you're supposed to?

Analysis

Give it more time.

Analysis

Much like a real bulldog, this team is as tough as poo poo, and prone to hip dysplasia.

Analysis

At least Goose still plays hard for you.

Analysis

Three weeks in, four games up.

Analysis

Still unlucky.

Analysis

Still want to challenge Bender's rating?

Standings and Leaders

A. Instigate revolution to liberate Chicagoland from Greater Canada! - 1 vote

B. Finally go get that Rocket Fuel from Earth-2 Mark Grace! - 3 votes

C. Go sledding! - 10 votes

Clearly, sledding is the way to go. Luckily for Mark Grace, it had just recently snowed and he was only a few blocks away from Mt. Trashmore, the best sledding hill in the North Suburbs. Granted, with Chicagoland having little in the way of hills, that wasn't saying much, but it would have to do.

Mark Grace pulled up to the park and got his emergency sled out of the trunk. A large number of warning signs were posted, because technically speaking, people were not allowed to slide down the big hill, probably for liability concerns, but that didn't stop anybody, and it's not like Evanston could afford to hire people to keep people off the hill anyway.

It was a bit of a climb up the hill. It had been warm the day before, melting the top layer of the snow, but it had refrozen over night. The result was that the ground was slick with a thin layer of ice on top of the snow pack. That would make things a bit more dangerous, but think of the speed he could pick up!

At the top of the hill, Mark looked down. It wasn't an especially steep hill, making it seem lower than it really was. They wasn't a ton of room on top for much of a running start, so gravity would have to do most of the work. With a push, Grace was off, and began speeding down the hill. As he picked up even more velocity, the cold winter air invigorated him.

Suddenly, he saw trouble ahead. Mt. Trashmore wasn't really designed a sled hill, and so it wasn't maintained as such. A good sledding hill has to be relatively smooth, to make sure that a fast-moving sled doesn't hit a bump and crash. But, in front him, Mark saw a series of small bumps in the hill right ahead of him. With no real turning mechanism, Mark watched helplessly as his sled ran aground on the bump, bounced into the air, and then hit the ground hard, with Mark landing square on his back and his head. The wind knocked out of him, Mark struggled to breathe as blackness overcame him...

DECISION TIME!

Will Mark Grace...

A. Dream of the Future!

B. Dream of the Past!

C. Dream of finally getting that gyros!

VOTE OR HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE THINGS MIGHT HAPPEN!

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
One must always look toward the future! A!

gently caress it, replace Dauss in the rotation with Busby.

New Rotation
SP1 Ed Walsh
SP2 Pete Alexander
SP3 Frank Smith
SP4 Doc White
SP5 Steve Busby

And with Porter about to come back, go back to the old catcher rotation system with Porter taking the first three pitchers in the rotation and Bassler the last two.

It'd be neat if this team could score a number somewhere between 4-10 runs every game instead of scoring either 2 or 18 every game.

UZworm fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 20, 2012

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Frankie Frisch in the top ten for OPS? I guess that makes up for his atrocious defense. What to do, what to do with my miserable bullpen? Send Smoltz to the DL, Arthur Rhodes gets the call up. New bullpen alignment:

CL Wetteland
SU Myers
SR Bentancourt
SR Rhodes
MR Putz
LR Sabathia

Obit vote: A.

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011

Guess it's time to hope that Paul Derringer is capable of living to his name and throws like a pistol firing. Move him into Lefty Gomez's spot while he's on the DL.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
: I told you guys ALEXANDER or BLYLEVEN. Though Lefty Gomez is good enough.
Sierra Hotel India Echo Lima Delta

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Switch Waner and Cabrera in the batting order.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Luque was a disaster, and so was Zambrano, so we'll go ahead and put Tiant at LR, push Finley to the 4th spot if possible and give our favorite knuckleballer not named Dickey a shot (Niekro to 5th spot in rotation). Pull Miceli for Walle because that was just awful.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Well, it's been a rough few weeks. No one seems to remember how to hit a baseball except for Stan Musial, so well done there. I'm glad to see my bullpen is swallowing the runs my starting pitchers are giving up, hopefully they can hold up their end of the bargain soon. Since Buck Leonard will return this week, I'm going to set up a new lineup that I think is the most efficient thing I've got yet, based on early trends. Tony Perez will keep backing up for 2 more days.

pre:
1. 2B Joe Morgan
2. LF Stan Musial
3. RF Vladimir Guerrero
4. 1B Buck Leonard
5. CF Earl Averill
6. C Johnny Bench
7. SS Cal Ripken
8. 3B Willie Kamm
Furthermore, we vote to look to the future with Mr Grace, so we will vote A.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Spreadsheet is final. Changes consist of platooning Cutch with Babe instead of Barry, dropping the 2B platoon, the lineup changes to accomodate those things, and a lot of slider fiddling.

e: And for the record, yes, I still want to challenge Bender's rating. He's going to regress to the mean sometime.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 20, 2012

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Mornacale posted:

Spreadsheet is final. Changes consist of platooning Cutch with Babe instead of Barry, dropping the 2B platoon, the lineup changes to accomodate those things, and a lot of slider fiddling.

e: And for the record, yes, I still want to challenge Bender's rating. He's going to regress to the mean sometime.

I feel like this season is going to end in a Cultists-Bloggers final followed shortly thereafter by me getting committed to an insane asylum.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Time for a terrible change. For now, replace 1996 Denny Neagle with 1964 Wally Bunker.

I'm destined for failure anyways, so let's make this amusing.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Time for a terrible change. For now, replace 1996 Denny Neagle with 1964 Wally Bunker.

I mean, yeah, there's no way Neagle's going to go the whole season without giving up a run, but you might as well ride the hot hand until his luck runs out. No need to pull him until he regresses back to something more in line with his career numbers.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

ToiletofSadness posted:

I mean, yeah, there's no way Neagle's going to go the whole season without giving up a run, but you might as well ride the hot hand until his luck runs out. No need to pull him until he regresses back to something more in line with his career numbers.

...So Neagle's doing fine-- it's just a matter of time/karma/luck running out? Huh, I guess I misunderstood Smasher's choice of words.

Smasher, I will continue to ride the Neagle Train until it crashes and burns.

edit: Holy poo poo, I just saw his ERA. What in the wide world of sports is going on?

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.
We have glimpsed the future by flirting with rocket-cycles - let us embrace the past, perhaps that glorious October of 2001...B.

If anyone feels their second baseman is an offensive sink, I have a 26 year old Bret Boone available - gold glove defense with decent power. He's not hitting 37 HR yet, but his bat always had some pop for a middle infielder.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

A. Mark Grace is a man of the future.

I'm confident in Andy Pettites ability to not suck. His first start was a quality one for crying out loud!

Also Id like to remind everyone that I have a Derek Jeter for sale and that you should want him.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

BearDrivingTruck posted:

The most appropriate team name in the world.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Only five people voted for the obit? And after we discussed how you humoring about this was they only thing keeping me sane?

I hate all of you.

Dynamo League Week 4 Injury Report

Rochester Generics
Luis Tiant (SP) (Attempted to eat something called "Garbage Plate) - 15 days
Luke Appling (SS) (Still has fragile ankles) - 102 days

San Juan Elephants
Jim Bunning (SP) (Curse of San Juan) - 26 days

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Move Andy Messersmith to the #5 spot, move Ed Brandt to Long Relief.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Yikes.

Alright let's nip this in the bud. Boot Steve Rogers to long relief, give Oswalt his spot in the rotation.

Also, B.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

The future!
A

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...
Flashback time! B

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Only five people voted for the obit? And after we discussed how you humoring about this was they only thing keeping me sane?

I hate all of you.

Oh, jeez, I was so excited about my slider changes that I forgot to say:

The Bloggers take our 6-1 week, as well as the acquisition of our rightful players, as a sign that the Commissar's office has repented of their favoritism, and therefore will participate in the voting this week. We choose C, as it's clear that Mark Grace is famished.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
C. Sledding and gyros. Sounds like a Grecian in Detroit type of obit to me!

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN

Shadow gamer posted:

New Line-up

:siren: Line-Up :siren:
(Vs. RHP)
1. Ashburn (RF)
2. Alomar (2B)
3. Canseco (DH)
4. Chipper Jones (3B)
5. Mays (CF)
6. Hernandez (1B)
7. Hamner (SS)
8. Lollar (C)
9. Enis(LF)

(Vs. LHP )
1. Ashburn (RF)
2. Alomar (2B)
3. Hamner (SS)
4. Chipper Jones (3B)
5. Willie Jones (DH)
6. Hernandez (1B)
7. Mays (CF)
8. Tettleton (C)
9. Canseco(LF)

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Totally forgot to vote. C again.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
I'm currently enjoying some time off work by liberally applying nicotine patches and forgetting how good smoking is, so I forgot to vote. Or read the question. gently caress it, C's usually the comedy answer, right?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

mks5000 posted:

Also Id like to remind everyone that I have a Derek Jeter for sale and that you should want him.

I just spent 10 minutes negotiating a trade for jeter with tatankatonk thinking he was you

it's me, I'm the smartest

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Monicro posted:

I just spent 10 minutes negotiating a trade for jeter with tatankatonk thinking he was you

it's me, I'm the smartest
                 /

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

It's time.

: Party people in the house, let's go
It's your boy H.A. all right so
Pass that thing and watch me flex
Behind my back, you know what's next

: To the jam, all in your face
What's up, just feel the bass
Drop it, rock it, space kaboom
Just work that body, work that body
Make sure you don't hurt nobody
Get wild, lose your mind
Take this thing into overtime

: Hey DJ! Turn it up!
Home run champ, gon' burn it up!
Come on y'all get on the floor
So hey, let's go, alright

: Everybody get up, it's time to slam now
We got a real jam going down
Welcome to the Space Jam
Here's your chance, do your dance, at the Space Jam
All right

: Come on and slam, and welcome to the jam
Come on and slam, if you want to jam
Come on and slam, and welcome to the jam
Come on and slam, if you want to jam

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
Hey Smasher. Your Cubs just put together a 52 million dollar contract for a slightly above-average innings-eater. What say you on this development?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

cbx posted:

Hey Smasher. Your Cubs just put together a 52 million dollar contract for a slightly above-average innings-eater. What say you on this development?

EJax owns, Cubs own :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-League VIII, Smasher League Week 3: Mark Grace is done with all of you!

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

MERCILESS CULTISTS TAKE VICTORY FROM COMMIES

Cleveland- The Commies could have won this game, in theory, at any rate.

The Cultists lost last season in the playoffs, beaten badly by the Phoenixes who, owing either to Marauder's genius or incredible luck, had held some sort of mental lock over the Cultists all season.

This led to a lot of soul-searching over the season by Cultists' owner CthulhuDreams, who made a number of tweaks to his roster in hopes of preventing any recurrence of that problem, the most notable being the acquisition of Frank Tanana and the Ernie Banks trade.

Today, the Commies, by either miracle of the raw power of their Proletarian convictions, were able to hit Christy Mathewson at will, and held onto a 5-4 lead going into the top of the ninth. But the Commies had a problem: Their own starter, Gio Gonzalez, had been ineffective himself, and was pulled after only four and two-thirds innings, and Faustoan Bargain, in his zeal to win this game, had used every member of his bullpen, attempting to break the Cultists' lineup by aggressively switching his relievers to gain platoon advantages. Chris Sale, the closer, had already pitched one inning but, with no other reliever available, he was forced to stick with Sale for one more inning.

It started out well. Joe Sewell, Banks' replacement at short, flied out to center, and then Beltran lined out for the second out. But the Cultists' lineup's greatest strength is its depth, and Ott doubled to keep the inning alive. Ryne Sandberg, who CthulhuDreams has made clear no longer holds his confidence, then redeemed himself with an RBI single to tie the game. Sale was then able to stop the bleeding, but, after two innings, he was clearly done, and the Commies were now out of relievers. They absolutely needed to end this game in the bottom of the ninth.

They didn't.

Kazuhiro Sasaki popped up Joe Morgan before Phil Coke came in to retire the next two batters in order. The Commies were now in an extra-innings game without any relievers.

Faustoan Bargain, now panicking, realized that he would have call on one of his starters, unless he wanted to blow out Chris Sale's arm for good. Strasburg had pitched the day before, and had been ineffective. He was out. Bob Veale was tired too, and Faustoan didn't much trust him either. He was out. That left Kevin Brown and Greg Maddux. Maddux was the superior pitcher, but was scheduled to pitch the next day, while Brown wasn't quite as good, but would get an extra day off. In the end, Faustoan Bargain wanted this game, needed this game, and to hell with the consequences. He called for Maddux.

Rogers Hornsby led off with a single, but was erased when Bob Johnson hit into a double play. Pujols then hit a single to put a runner on first with two outs. Maddux bore down and got Sewell to ground out to the shortstop, but Alexei Ramirez's throw to first was wide, and Sewell was safe, and that was all the opening the Cultists needed, as Beltran then hit an RBI single to give the Cultists their final margin of victory in the game.

CthulhuDreams, bitter of his defeat last year, had no kind words for the Expansion Commies, "Pathetic! You might as well have just forfeit that game! How incompetent do you have to be to use all of your relievers in a nine-inning game? None of you deserve to win the Super-League championship! None of you understand the way this game really works. Only I'm smart enough, only I know what I'm doing. The rest of you just cram players together, barely understanding what you're doing. I am the smartest owner around, I build the best rosters around, and I have the best record in the Smasher League this year. This is my league, and you dullards are just along for the ride."

Box Score

Don May posted:

PHOENIXES BREAK SUICIDES 17-0

Ithaca- Wow.

In one of the worst beatings on record, the Phoenixes wiped out the Suicides 17-0, bringing ruin and misery to the people of Seattle who, it ought to be noted, were already feeling pretty depressed about baseball in general.

The Phoenixes were led by Curt Schilling, who threw a two-hitter against the theoretically potent Suicides' offense, forcing Ruth and Williams to go a combined 0-for-7 on the day. Schilling, best known for helping the Red Sox win their first champions in 86 years and defrauding the government of Rhode Island out of millions, clearly didn't think much of the Suicides, "I'm Curt Schilling, the greatest human being who has ever lived, and so, when I tell you that every time a Super-League team gets located in Seattle it sucks, you know that what I'm telling you is the truth. I mean, do I even need to mention the Bloody Sock Game? I turned it all around and ended the Red Sox curse single-handedly! And I made a great video game! I'm probably also the best businessman to ever play the game. Holy gently caress am I awesome! Who the gently caress cares about the Suicides when I'm around? I'm Curt Schilling! I am a golden god! gently caress, if I weren't an evangelical Christian, I'd be half-convinced that I was the real messiah. But seriously, I am awesome, and part of me feels bad that when the Rapture comes, and I ascend to heaven, that the rest of you bastards are going to trapped in the apocalypse without my glorious presence. That's really loving sad for all of you."

Pungry, alleged owner of the Suicides, tried to put his loss into perspective, "Grunge was awesome, because it made Seattle relevant. Now the only thing people associate with our city is coffee. I formed the Suicides so that America could look at the Emerald City at see that we had more to offer. But that hasn't been working out too well. So...uh...hey, does anyone remember way back when Green Arrow was based out of Seattle? That was a pretty memorable run for the character!"

And then there was the long-suffered Ted Williams, whose journey through the Super-League has been one of unending woe. "Holy gently caress? Again? I'm trapped on a no-hope team again? Why the gently caress do you bastards keep doing this to me? What did I ever do to you assholes? I mean, did I punch you in the face as children or something? I don't think I did, although, if I did, it was probably because I knew that you would create a lovely team that would imprison me for a loving season, and that's probably why I punched you in the first place! gently caress you, Pungry, I am going to find a time machine and punch you in the face as a child right now! See how you like that!"

Box Score

Television Title Time!

: Grumble...
: That must mean it's time for another set Television Title Defenses!
: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Well, first up, the Whalers, with two-defenses under their belt, will take on the Spokane Air Raids, who have had a surprisingly solid season so far.
: Their hitters have really been on fire this season. I'm not sure it will last, but it's a good run so far.
: Air Raids take the first one thanks to good hitting.
: And that pitching has been apocalyptically bad, they need their hitting to be great, otherwise, they're dead.

: And, there we go, the Air Raids hitting falters, and the Whalers take the win, making the final game of the series effectively a one-game contest for the Television Title.
: Odd that King Felix got pulled after five innings but, then again, given that the Air Raids aren't really set up to win close games, it's understandable.

: And the Air Raids will turn up their offense one more time, and they are the new Television Champions!
: They should hope that these level of offense is sustainable, because their pitching does not look up to the task.

: And the Air Raids won't have a chance to celebrate long, and it's already time for their first title defense against the New England Arguments.
: The Arguments have an old Ted Williams, and old Mickey Mantle, and Snuffy! Who is probably a stuffed bear that plays baseball.
: Well, looking at this statistics, I'd have to say that they're bad enough that a teddy bear probably could match them. And the Air Raids take the first game as Snuffy strikes out three times and makes an error. gently caress, he might actually be a teddy bear.
: Well, this isn't over yet, Snuffy's got a few tricks up his sleeve!

: Arguments take one back as they out-slug the Air Raids.
: Greinke with a start right out of the '20s, eight runs given up, but still a complete game, and you wonder if the manager has any idea what he's doing.

: And the Air Raids' reign as Television Champions is over as the Arguments win the finale of the series 6-3 and become the new TV Champs!
: The Air Raids were done in by their weak pitching as well as the magical power of Snuffy! Who is a hero, and a patriot, and-

: Okay, we're done here! Two new champions this week, and the Arguments emerge from the chaos with the title. But their reign may not last long as the Whalers will get a chance to win the TV Title back next week and, depending on how that goes, we'll either then see Arguments-Eazy W's or Whalers-Gumshoes. It just might be exciting!

Team Statistics

Analysis

Kind of an up-and-down start to the season, although at least your players are hitting a decent number of home runs.

Analysis

Why is your team doing so badly? Well, having to play each of the five returning teams in a row hasn't helped, and neither has the game's ill-will towards the young super-stars of the Nationals. The former will resolve itself in the coming weeks as the Commies move on to lesser competition. The latter? Well, you're going to have to grin and bear it.

Analysis

None of your hitters can hit, and none of your pitchers can pitch. The law of averages says that this can't hold true for too much longer.

Analysis

So, what are you going to do when your team stops hitting .322?

Analysis

Are you a bad enough dude to win the Television Title again?

Analysis

When Ryan gets his ERA below 9.00, then you'll be doing great...or better, at least.

Analysis

It's a work in progress, even if Elmer Valo isn't even much good as a stopgap. But hey, look at Josh Gibson go!

Analysis

I'd suggest you replace a bunch of your starting pitchers but, well, with what? But hey, at least you're a champion!

Analysis

I've been told that you don't actually say 'y'all' that much in real-life. Clearly, to balance this out, I must have your fictional counterpart say it even more!

Also, it's clear, looking at Moises Alou's stats, that pissing on your hands also works in the Super-League. Who knew?

Analysis

At least things can't get much worse.

Analysis

Well, when you consider that most of your starting hitters are batting below the Mendoza line, 7-10 is a fine record!

Analysis

Like some sort of unstoppable baseball machine!

Analysis

So, got a plan B?

Analysis

On the plus side, you're doing better with the Suicides than you did with either the Homers or Gads!

Analysis

Babe Ruth: three weeks, eight home runs! And he smoked a ton of cigars. Think about it.

Analysis

The fact that you are doing this well is deeply confusing for me. I mainly blame myself for turning Mike Trout into the superstar he is, rather than the scrub Mogul thought he should be.

Standings and Leaders

A. Dream of the Future! - 5 votes

B. Dream of the Past! - 3 votes

C. Dream of finally getting that gyros! - 4 votes

: Holy gently caress! You guys care that little about my awesome adventures that Smasher has to beg you to vote? Well, gently caress you! I'm out!

Mark Grace sat back and pulled out his copy of today's Financial Times. He had had enough of this foolishness. Scanning the front page, he noticed a story about the growing popularity of the neo-fascist Golden Dawn in Greece. Mark shook his head, it wasn't uncommon for people, in times of economic stress, to resort to extremism, but this recession in Greece had, if not been created, then certainly exacerbated by the neo-liberal policies of the EU and German Chancellor Merkel. Amazing that, decades after Keynes, politicians thought that austerity was the answer.

Grace grimaced, he had hoped that European Union would someday evolve into a legitimate, democratic organization but, as it stood, it was still essentially a shadowy cabal of neo-liberal technocrats, unconcerned with the plight of the common people. The Eurozone was little better than a glorified, European version of NAFTA if this was going to be how it governed. Greece had been a recession for three years now, and yet the merciless bureaucrats, ensconced in their ivory towers in Strasbourg, still demanded more cuts, less benefits. In a world where democracy had led to your country's fiscal policy being dictated by the Germans, no wonder the Greeks turned to the fascists. Grace noted that the story continued on page A-12...

DECISION TIME!

Will Mark Grace...

A. Turn to A-12 to learn more about the rise of the Golden Dawn in Greece!

B. Read the story on the front page about Berlusconi's political comeback!

C. I totally read every loving jRPG LP without irony, but I find this baseball fanfiction to be totally lame and risible, but Mark Grace is such a lame character compared to Tidus...who I totally only like ironically!