Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I just tried to check things out but the link within Swiftkey settings took me to the VIP forums which I have no access to and I'm on my phone now so, well, :effort:

I'll look into it later because I do want to help them iron out problems, I was just wondering if anybody had similar issues or an answer to the second part

E: using the precise typing mode seems to have helped a ton. I switched it because people mentioned here that rapid mode was giving much more success with flow but it looks like that was a bad move given how much I use predictions. I still want to know why only certain words can be removed from the dictionary though.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Require More Fire posted:

Sorry, SMS and Gtalk at the very least. Basically I'd like to have one place to go to view message threads instead of trying to remember which service a conversation took place in and having to go to that app.

Apparently it's a pretty popular feature request on various android forums.

SMS can be forced to go to Google Voice, but Talk won't go through there, which is somewhat odd.

Possibly it's a feature in some custom ROM? Have the "Messaging" app connect to Gtalk too?

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

I could swear I read on Android Police or some other site that Google Maps is working on in-route re-routing in navigation (IE, it detects a new traffic problem and reroutes you around it), to the point the .APK already has part of it implemented but unused.

Has Google announced anything like this coming out anytime soon?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Zeam launcher would be so perfect if it could only hide all the crap I never use.
*sigh*

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
So is there an app that adds another lock that activates after the slider shortcut is used or when i choose the lock icon? So that I could use my app to say use my camera or my music app from the slider but keep my phone locked?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

rugbert posted:

So is there an app that adds another lock that activates after the slider shortcut is used or when i choose the lock icon? So that I could use my app to say use my camera or my music app from the slider but keep my phone locked?

Widgetlocker can add extra sliders to the lock screen for just this purpose.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Medullah posted:

Widgetlocker can add extra sliders to the lock screen for just this purpose.

Does it come in the circular slider form?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

rugbert posted:

Been a few versions since I used it, but I wouldn't be surprised. It's got a lot of options.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Is there an app that will automatically sync a folder on my phone to my N7 over WiFi or Bluetooth?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

TVarmy posted:

I could swear I read on Android Police or some other site that Google Maps is working on in-route re-routing in navigation (IE, it detects a new traffic problem and reroutes you around it), to the point the .APK already has part of it implemented but unused.

Has Google announced anything like this coming out anytime soon?

This isn't exactly what you asked, but Waze does this.

I actually like Waze a lot, I just always forget to use it.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

rugbert posted:

Yes.

The screenshot is while I'm pressing the slide lock. After I choose which app, it brings up the basic pattern locker (or pin or whatever). Same goes for music (although it allow you to play / skip / pause) and any other apps launched from the lock screen.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Is there any sort of app that will log my signal strength over a period of the me, and show me where it's weakest and such?

I'm getting a prepaid T-Mobile phone and want to use it side-by-side to my VZW gnex, and compare signals.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Has Go Launcher started kicking out notifications from its news feed for anyone else since the last update? If so, do you have a way to turn it off?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Yes.

The screenshot is while I'm pressing the slide lock. After I choose which app, it brings up the basic pattern locker (or pin or whatever). Same goes for music (although it allow you to play / skip / pause) and any other apps launched from the lock screen.

Oh snap, I didn't realize that WL had the 1/8th positions available for the JB style slider lock, thanks for this...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What's the current best free epub reader?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 19, 2012

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Aldiko
Moon+ Reader
There's some cloud based syncing one I forget the name of people like too.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Yes.

I hate to be the guy that does this, but mind sharing what those lockscreen widgets are? This looks really nice.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Taffer posted:

I hate to be the guy that does this, but mind sharing what those lockscreen widgets are? This looks really nice.

Thanks for the compliment. It's UCCW. I know this isn't the Android desktop thread but since it's the subject, here is the coinciding home screen.

I did have the same widget layout as the lock screen but changed it up a little. Further UCCW / widget stuff should probably be done over at the android desktop thread.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

DemonMage posted:

Aldiko
Moon+ Reader
There's some cloud based syncing one I forget the name of people like too.

Fabrik. Syncs your books and where they're up to via Dropbox. It's pretty neat.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Midjack posted:

Has Go Launcher started kicking out notifications from its news feed for anyone else since the last update? If so, do you have a way to turn it off?

Yes, they really want us to buy their themes. Which sucks because it's about the last remaining good launcher for old android devices. :smith:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

gmq posted:

Yes, they really want us to buy their themes. Which sucks because it's about the last remaining good launcher for old android devices. :smith:

Just got another update for it today, we'll see if that does anything for it. Doesn't mention it in the changelogs but I'm hoping it's a stealth fix.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

gmq posted:

What's wrong with ADW and Zeam and such? As far as I know they still work well on old devices.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I'm having an odd issue with the Play Movies & TV app on my phone and tablet. When I go to watch any episode of a TV show I purchased, my phone gives me a connection error and my tablet gives me an error stating that the rental period has expired. Thing is, all the episodes play just fine on my Google TV (which is the device I purchased them on). I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the updates for the app but that didn't help. Any advice?

[Edit: on a whim I uninstalled a third-party codec that Stick It! recommended I should install and rebooted my tablet. No dice, still getting the rental error. I just wanna watch some drat Adventure Time. :argh:]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 19, 2012

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

lelandjs posted:

So I'm having an odd issue with the Play Movies & TV app on my phone and tablet. When I go to watch any episode of a TV show I purchased, my phone gives me a connection error and my tablet gives me an error stating that the rental period has expired. Thing is, all the episodes play just fine on my Google TV (which is the device I purchased them on). I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the updates for the app but that didn't help. Any advice?

[Edit: on a whim I uninstalled a third-party codec that Stick It! recommended I should install and rebooted my tablet. No dice, still getting the rental error. I just wanna watch some drat Adventure Time. :argh:]

I had this problem but for apps. The fix turned out to be to de-link my accounts from the device, clear data, then link my accounts to the device again.

Might try that, see if it works.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I had this problem but for apps. The fix turned out to be to de-link my accounts from the device, clear data, then link my accounts to the device again.

Might try that, see if it works.

Didn't work. :smith: Thanks for the quick reply, though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Don't know if this is the right thread for this, but I'm wondering if there's a way to use the Google Voice app under the following conditions:

-Outgoing calls appear to other callers with my regular mobile number
-Callers can still use my Google Voice number to call me

(basically, I just want the voicemail/text/gchat integration that the Google Voice app gives me without changing the way everything else works)

I'm on Sprint with an HTC Evo, but it looks like the only way to use the app is to either use the Google Voice number for everything or to use my Sprint number and get rid of the Google voice number.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Just open the Google Voice app and go to Making Calls in the settings, set it to "Do Not Use Google Voice to make any calls" and you'll always use your phone's caller ID.

Then just use the normal messaging app to text.

Go to Voice.Google.Com and set up the settings in there to forward whatever incoming stuff you want to the phone.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

What he said, except now that Sprint has full Google Voice integration, if you choose to integrate it into your phone everything will look like it's coming from your GV number even if you uninstall Google Voice. You have to go to Google Voice online and remove then re-add the phone to disable it.

I have it set up so that I choose between GV and regular number each time, because my GV number is my work number.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Just open the Google Voice app and go to Making Calls in the settings, set it to "Do Not Use Google Voice to make any calls" and you'll always use your phone's caller ID.

Then just use the normal messaging app to text.

Go to Voice.Google.Com and set up the settings in there to forward whatever incoming stuff you want to the phone.

I don't see that option at all :confused:

Medullah posted:

What he said, except now that Sprint has full Google Voice integration, if you choose to integrate it into your phone everything will look like it's coming from your GV number even if you uninstall Google Voice. You have to go to Google Voice online and remove then re-add the phone to disable it.

I have it set up so that I choose between GV and regular number each time, because my GV number is my work number.

Yeah, I pretty much want to have it set up like how you have it, since I also use GV for work.

Is there a guide that has step-by-step instructions on how to have it configured like this? I feel really dumb and the Google Voice site doesn't offer instructions for my situation.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

1st AD posted:

I don't see that option at all :confused:

Yeah, I pretty much want to have it set up like how you have it, since I also use GV for work.

Is there a guide that has step-by-step instructions on how to have it configured like this? I feel really dumb and the Google Voice site doesn't offer instructions for my situation.

Go to Google Voice -> Menu -> Settings -> "Making Calls" then choose "Ask every time I make a call"

edit - This is on the phone, not the website.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I didn't have that option, but signing out of GV on the phone, disabling GV on the site, then signing back into the app and skipping Sprint integration seems to have done the trick.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Is there an all-in-one IM app sort of like Adium on OS X? I need to chat with a friend who uses QQ but (predictably) the official mobile app is in Chinese.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Vudu has finally launched their app for android.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.vudu.air.DownloaderTablet

Just like on iOS, it's limited to tablets right now (only my Nexus 7 is showing as compatible so it may only be JB tablets.)

Hopefully they will add phones later on. You can download your movies for offline viewing which is nice for wifi tablets.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

computer parts posted:

Is there an all-in-one IM app sort of like Adium on OS X? I need to chat with a friend who uses QQ but (predictably) the official mobile app is in Chinese.
I use imo, it's pretty good. The beta is much better than the stable version though. Heard good things about im+ too, and I think it's developed by a goon even.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Yes.

I will also be that guy...

Is Widgetlocker adding to the Jelly Bean lock screen or is it replacing it with something that looks like the JB lock screen in this instance?

Also, what's the weather notification in your taskbar?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

FISHMANPET posted:

Is Widgetlocker adding to the Jelly Bean lock screen or is it replacing it with something that looks like the JB lock screen in this instance?

It's a completely separate app. It probably doesn't do it now, but in the older days if you didn't turn off your original lock screen (or maybe you couldn't turn it off pre-ICS), sometimes you'd unlock to another lock screen.

It doesn't have to look like the JB lock screen. You can add a bunch of different types of unlock mechanisms to the screen. Everything else on the screen is a user-placed widget.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

FISHMANPET posted:

Also, what's the weather notification in your taskbar?

Exactly what Vykk.Draygo said.

And regarding what he said about unlocking into another lock screen - this is how it behaves when you have the pattern/pin/pass active.

It also has just about every android lock screen in (recent) history available, so you're in luck if you want it to have the old motorola unlocker or even the iPhone slider!).

And the weather notification is Weather Underground, which totally rocks.

edit: in google music (or music manager on my computer) - is it possible to force check or force upload a particular folder? My entire catalog is uploaded, but for some reason some random albums are missing songs that are clearly on my computer. (I have checked it's not within the "songs that couldn't be uploaded list").

Also, since learning how to properly pin and unpin music I have since removed the music that I manually copied over to the music folder. When I initially pinned all the albums I wanted, I was at home but didn't realize wi-fi was turned off - and immediately went over my data plan :v:

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 20, 2012

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

VuDu is now available for tablets (not sure if they have a root restriction or not).

If you do the disc-to-digital at WalMart, you used to have to go through the Flixster app, which connected to UltraViolet, which then accessed your VuDu library.

Now you can go straight to VuDu.

Tried it out a bit last night and it works just as I would expect it to. No more triple-layer sign-in in order to watch Austin Powers, yay!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

AlexDeGruven posted:

VuDu is now available for tablets (not sure if they have a root restriction or not).

If you do the disc-to-digital at WalMart, you used to have to go through the Flixster app, which connected to UltraViolet, which then accessed your VuDu library.

Now you can go straight to VuDu.

Tried it out a bit last night and it works just as I would expect it to. No more triple-layer sign-in in order to watch Austin Powers, yay!

I mentioned it previously.

One thing I couldn't get to work was the download function. I mean, it downloaded fine and showed that it was downloaded, I just couldn't figure out a way to get it to play the local copy. Every time I tried to play the movie, it still buffered and streamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bull3964 posted:

I mentioned it previously.

One thing I couldn't get to work was the download function. I mean, it downloaded fine and showed that it was downloaded, I just couldn't figure out a way to get it to play the local copy. Every time I tried to play the movie, it still buffered and streamed.

Hmm... I just tested it and it worked perfectly.

I downloaded one of my items (Big Bang Theory episode) and then turned off WiFi.

I switched back to Vudu, and it immediately switched to "Vudu Offline Mode" and showed me only that downloaded episode and allowed me to play it immediately.

• Locked thread