Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Undersea Magic
Dec 16, 2006

Scrree posted:

Second day as Shadow Labrys: 100 matches played 21 wins wooo. Gonna keep on trucking though.

three comments:
Shad lab has basically has the Worst Hp, pretty slow attacks with a range that really doesn't seem longer than anyone elses (shorter than Mitsuru's pokes). Does the minotaur really make up for that once you get good at using it?

How the gently caress do you use Asterius without him just dying to a stiff breeze

I just got hit by Chie's dragon kick and I am furious.

Back to 20% Win Rate

edit: much more important question - How do you deal with characters like Elizabeth or Yukiko who can spam infinite range attacks that take up half the screen and lock you in a corner, is it literally just dashing at the exact right time or pulling off a 236236D in the split second they aren't attacking?

If you're losing lots of Persona cards you may just need to block more with Asterius. Holding D until you spot an opening is always a good choice.

8C deals with fullscreen zoning pretty easily; it forces your opponent to stop chucking plasma and gives you enough time to begin pressure. Titanomachia (preferably activated from super jump height) is another good option to get in on zoners, just don't get tagged during activation! You can input 8C to give you time for a mixup before the fire comes out or not input anything if you think your opponent will press a button.

Also, super jump more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Shut up! If you try to stop me, my fists will visit you on four different points on your median plane!
Well, I started picking Yu as a secondary in order to find an answer to the Mitsuru match up, because my Kanji just can't do anything to them, and I'm still working out the BnB's and general combos. If any Yu players have any good basic combos, it would be appreciated.
Also if any goons would like to play, my PSN is So__Zetta__Slow

Viash
Mar 17, 2003
For everyone looking for games trying #goonsgarden on synirc. It is the general goon hangout for fgs. P4A doesn't get a whole lot of play there but some people there play it regularly, including myself. Not that I'm any good at all but I'm always down for a game.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Scrree posted:

Second day as Shadow Labrys: 100 matches played 21 wins wooo. Gonna keep on trucking though.

three comments:
Shad lab has basically has the Worst Hp, pretty slow attacks with a range that really doesn't seem longer than anyone elses (shorter than Mitsuru's pokes). Does the minotaur really make up for that once you get good at using it?

How the gently caress do you use Asterius without him just dying to a stiff breeze

Back to 20% Win Rate

edit: much more important question - How do you deal with characters like Elizabeth or Yukiko who can spam infinite range attacks that take up half the screen and lock you in a corner, is it literally just dashing at the exact right time or pulling off a 236236D in the split second they aren't attacking?

If it seems like Asterius is dying incredibly fast, keep in mind that if he's in the middle of an attack and Labrys herself gets hit, it'll damage Asterius as well. If an attack is hitting only Asterius, it has to be a single hit that deals more than 490 damage. Or something close to that.

Which directly ties into your concerns about Yukiko. Almost none of Yukiko's attacks deal a single hit greater than 490. Only her 2 fire spells, Agi and Maragi do enough damage. And the third hit of her autocombo if that even matters. If she's using fans to try and keep you out, you have to teach her that Asterius can't be stopped by fans. But once again, if Asterius is in the middle of a move and Labrys gets hit, it will damage Asterius too. So fans can still hurt if you aren't careful. Against heavy ranged based characters you will still have to find those moments to just move forward relying on nothing but good movement and blocking.

Also, if you aren't doing anything, it's a good idea to keep holding down D and keeping Asterius blocking. If he isn't using an attack or very explicitly needs to move somewhere, always be blocking with Asterius.

I don't have anything useful to say against Elizabeth. I actually play normal Labrys and Yukiko was my first character so my knowledge of Shadow Lab doesn't extend to that matchup.

EQFiddleCastrol
Sep 19, 2002

YO YO YO -- this is a shout-out to my fellow BBB's (Big Booty Bitches). Love you Celestie and Linds :)

Trihugger posted:

Which directly ties into your concerns about Yukiko. Almost none of Yukiko's attacks deal a single hit greater than 490. Only her 2 fire spells, Agi and Maragi do enough damage. And the third hit of her autocombo if that even matters. If she's using fans to try and keep you out, you have to teach her that Asterius can't be stopped by fans. But once again, if Asterius is in the middle of a move and Labrys gets hit, it will damage Asterius too. So fans can still hurt if you aren't careful. Against heavy ranged based characters you will still have to find those moments to just move forward relying on nothing but good movement and blocking.

As a Yukiko player this is both very true and very frustrating. So frustrating! AAAAA THIS MATCHUP FOR YUKIKO

It's not an instant win though, even extremely lopsided matches like this one (one of the most one-sided in the game) are winnable if you're smart. Or if the enemy Slabrys is kinda dumb and lazy and doesn't want to hold D and thinks I won't use Agi in stupid situations becuase I totally will

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Yeah I realized I was totally wrong about Yukiko after I realized her fans didn't break The Bull, Lizze still sucks tho >:(

This game is super fun because it's basically me fight dudes and getting mad at all the anime bullshit they can do (gently caress your weird green glowy dashgrapbash thing yosuke!) until I realize that I too can deal the same anime bullshit back (haha you can queue attacks when using Titanomachia? neat.) I just need to execute better.

My last question - I can do the inputs for most specials fairly reliably, but 236236 is still a total crapshoot. I'll sometimes do it right 3 times in a row and other times fail for a minute straight and I can't feel any persistent difference in movement between success. Is my inability to reliably perform the input more likely due to the quality of the stick (The WWE All-Stars Brawlstick) or my inexperience? Or even something like how I hold the stick?

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Scrree posted:

three comments:

Back to 20% Win Rate

Asterius does a lot of awesome things for you. You know how blocking/getting hit makes him pause? You can get around that by simply doing a move that's invincible (like DP or even brutal impact) while performing a move. There's certain combos you can use to make even brutal impact safe. For B+D if you do 5C followed by B+D you can turn this into a safe blockstring, and on counter hit you get a combo.

VS Yukiko, Chie, Aigis, etc you can hide behind Asterius to block the onslaught of fans, meteors, bullets and missiles.

Her attacks aren't amazing, just solid. Her 2B is SLOW compared to the rest of the cast, but it has a great hitbox, and that upper-body invulnerability persists for longer than most characters. You also get fatal counters with it, which gives her an easy hit confirm off of 2B. Her sweep is quite good, it's -6 and it's safe in most situations without instant block. You're supposed to combine these normals with Asterius's attacks to really make her scary (2C~2B for example, makes for an anti-air that also fills the screen with active frames, hard for you to get punished, easy for them to get hit).

I recorded a set against a Liz the other day, with commentary even, so you can see what I do against her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNbqiQXvZFU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

apple posted:

I recorded a set against a Liz the other day, with commentary even, so you can see what I do against her:

This is really cool, thanks

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
I played 3 different Slabs just the other day, which is I think the same number as I'd played in the rest of my time playing the game combined. Maybe this thread is doing it.

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011

Zetta_Slow posted:

Well, I started picking Yu as a secondary in order to find an answer to the Mitsuru match up, because my Kanji just can't do anything to them, and I'm still working out the BnB's and general combos. If any Yu players have any good basic combos, it would be appreciated.
Also if any goons would like to play, my PSN is So__Zetta__Slow

The most important combo with Yu is finishing combos with 2A+B until you can finish the game. For any random hit you get, 2a or 5a for example, just do 5B 2B 2A+B 5D.
Learning blockstrings is more important than combos.
After receiving a knockdown and leaving down 5D, you can do

5D:
quickescape 5D 5B 2B 2A+B 5D for crossup
quickescape 5D 5B 2A+B / 214 for high/low after crossup if the crossup didn't hit
dash 2a, 2a or 214(214a+b for the fastest one) 5D 5b 2b 2a+b
jump airdash j.B(2 hits) into 214 or 2a etc
empty jump (with or without airdash) 2a etc

Another important combo is
2A 5B 5C 214D OMC 214B dash 5C 2C dashcancel 2A+B for corner carry.

Once you have the basic okizeme setups and blockstrings down you can grind more damaging combos, such as
midscreen:
5B 5C 214D OMC 214B dash 5B j.C j.214B 2B j.C j.214A 5AAA (j.B+D 214214C)
if you don't have awakening yet, it's better to backdash after the 5AAA to have slightly better position post combo. The OMC -> 214B needs to be done as quick as possible.

For the most damage you can do something like
5C 214D OMB 5D(2 hits) 214B 214A 5D 2147A+B 2B j.C j.214B 2B j.C j.214A 214124C or 236236C
the OMB -> 5D must be done as quick as possible. the 214A+B must be done low-air, the quickest way to input a low aerial special is to input it on the ground but add a jump input at the end before you hit A+B

There are lots of different corner combos narukami should learn, there's a lot of them here http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Yu_Narukami_%28P4Arena%29#Corner

For corner A+B combos, first learn this:
A+B D-finish(FC) 2B 5C j.B j.C j.214B 5B j.C j.214A (5AAA or 214214A)
Ultimately you'll want to learn this one:
A+B D-finish(FC) 5B 5C airdash j.B j.C 2B j.C j.214A (5AAA or 21414A)
the low airdash after 5C will take a little practice to get it right

Throw combos are also important:
corner throw 2A 5C 2C 214B 5C j.BB B+D

close to corner you can connect 2B after a throw into
throw 2B j.C j.214B 5A 5C 2C 214B

Hopefully this will get you started. I'd also recommend to find videos of Japanese narukami players (or Jiyuna) to get a good idea of what else he can do.

I'd love to record my own matches but I don't have a TV capture card.

[edit] For the mitsuru matchup you'll really want to grind a punish combo down after you've blocked her DP. Set the training doll to do B+D > 236326C at the fastest possible timing, after you've blocked B+D you need to do microdash 5A into an aerial combo. I can't remember the optimal one for narukami right now but something like dash 5a 2B 5C sj j.BB doublejump j.B j.C j.214B should work.
If you're one round away from winning and with 100% meter, you can do instant kill after blocking the DP and she won't be able to do anything. Or if they have no meter you can do any fatal counter combo for huge damage

Doyagao fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 20, 2012

Mumblyfish
Jul 22, 2007
Senselessly gorgeous.
These guides to the basics are fantastic, Doyagao. Took me around six hours to get through your Chie basics, but the payoff was worth it. Much appreciated, man!

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011

Mumblyfish posted:

These guides to the basics are fantastic, Doyagao. Took me around six hours to get through your Chie basics, but the payoff was worth it. Much appreciated, man!

keep it up and report your progress
glad I could help. This game is awesome and needs more love so I'm willing to spend extra effort in helping people

Viash
Mar 17, 2003

Doyagao posted:

keep it up and report your progress
glad I could help. This game is awesome and needs more love so I'm willing to spend extra effort in helping people

Yeah honestly people in this thread should collaborate to make a general one and then one for every character or something and then link them in the OP, they're really good. Sadly I don't know enough about any character to really contribute.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
I don't really know poo poo about this game except what's on dustloop but I can vouch that Doyagao's general method is a good training method for any character in any fighting game.

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011
I could do another character / training guide if anyone wants. Which character should I do? Or I could explain other fighting game related concepts, training methods, strategy, mindset etc.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
A basic guide would be great- if not that, how about Elizabeth?

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I also would like an Elizabeth or basic guide.

Alternatively, an archival post with links to what has been done before would be handy.

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011
my guides so far http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3445921&userid=181713

I'll write up a more comprehensive guide on universal basics with no character specific stuff at all.

As for elizabeth, sorry, but I don't have any of her technical stuff down. My only advice is to quit palying her asap and pick another character, until she gets remade. She's terrible design, easily the most boring character from the cast and very low tier, almost unwinnable matchups against all the top characters. She's only good against the only character who shares the bottom tier spot with her, Kanji.

The characters I know the best are:
Chie, Yousuke, Kuma, Labrys, Sanada, Narukami and Yukiko. I know some stuff for most of the other cast too, but don't know the characters thoroughly enough to write up a complete guide to their basics

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!

Doyagao posted:

my guides so far http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3445921&userid=181713

I'll write up a more comprehensive guide on universal basics with no character specific stuff at all.

As for elizabeth, sorry, but I don't have any of her technical stuff down. My only advice is to quit palying her asap and pick another character, until she gets remade. She's terrible design, easily the most boring character from the cast and very low tier, almost unwinnable matchups against all the top characters. She's only good against the only character who shares the bottom tier spot with her, Kanji.

Chie, Yousuke, Kuma, Labrys, Sanada, Narukami and Yukiko. I know some stuff for most of the other cast too, but don't know the characters thoroughly enough to write up a complete guide to their basics

I'd be interested in seeing what you have to share for Yukiko. I main Yukiko but still have lots to learn and would like to see how other more competent players play her. Thanks! :)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Doyagao posted:

I'd like to see Akihiko, Yukiko, Labrys, in that order of preference.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I would be down for some Yukiko if you have the time.

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011
Oh man. I just spent over an hour writing a yukiko guide and...it disappeared somewhere. Completely gone. Baww. Lost 97% of my motivation to write anything, but I'll suck it up and try to write most of it quickly again...sigh. A bit shorter descriptions will have to do, sorry.

I wrote some of the basics here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3445921&userid=181713#post410412620 in my previous post about Yukiko.

This time I'll explain her tools in a little bit more detail.

Dash 5A
Learn to microdash 5A very well. Learn the range of this as well. It's not the fastest 5A around, but it has an excellent range while while not extending her own hitbox. Great antiair as well.

5C (zoning)
If you get her 5C out, it has a huge hitbox and lots of active frames. Great antiair as well, but more risky to use than most of her other tools so use sparingly. Leads into some of her more damaging combos. Especially jump -> immadiate j.C

airbackdash j6b
One of her main tools. You need to learn this stuff by heart. Very difficult to punish and eats up a lot of space. Do j6b as low as possible before landing. Mix it up with some empty jumps into other moves, such as 5c or 2b etc to beat highjumps. aearial ch can be comboed from with dash 5a

236c -> 214c or dash quickescape
Cover yourself with the pillar and raise your fire levels with 214c. Mix it up with some dash into quickescape to dodge the opponents attacks.

superjump j.d, air backdash j6b
The peak of a superjump is a pretty difficult place to punish for most of the characters, so this manouver is pretty safe. You'll recover before you land, so use that to perform an aerial backdash into j.6b to protect your persona.

sj raising j4b
If you input a superjump and immediately toss a j.4b, you'll recover from the hitstun before you land so you can do airbackdash j.6b or j.b, or quickturn(a+c) backdash j.b if they run under you

combos: [A] means holding the A until ]A[ when you have to release it.

The very basic combo: 5AA 5BB (omit the second B if they're crouching) 5C 2C 236[B]
B version won't work in the corner. Hold the B and you can do 2 to 3 fireboosts. Follow up with:
214C ]B[ 214c 214c. Look at their position and the situation and decide whether it's safe to go for the third level up or not.

corner: You can add some more fans because the opponent doesn't get knocked back. For example:
5AA 5B 5C 2C 6B 2A+B (universal)
5AA 6B 3B 5C 6B 3B 5C 2A+B (close range, crouching only)
5AA 6BB 3B 5C 6BB 3B 5C 2A+B (standing only)

Basic air combo:
j.A j.B j.C jump j.A j.C j.236[A] delay ]A[
if the opponent is too high, drop the j.A after the second jump.

j.A j.C j.236[A] delay ]A[ j.236[A] delay ]A[ j.236[B] delay ]B[

A+B combo:
A+B C-finish fatal: j.A j.B j.C dj j.A j.C j.236[A] delay ]A[ j.236[B] delay ]B[

You can also finish her groundcombo at 2C and do 3D or 236C for okizeme.

Her harder combos: A lot of these require you to input 236D while holding A and B buttons. And that's not even the difficult part, the timings require a lot of practice.

A+B combo (corner)
A+B D-finish fatal: 2C 3B 236[A+B] 5C ]A[ 236D 5C 2C 236[A] ]B[ 236[B]

Midscreen:
5AA 5BB 2369[A+B] ]A[ 2C ]B[ 236C 5C 5BB 236[B]

airthrow OMB 236[A+B] dash ]A[ 5C ]B[ 236C 5BB 5C 236[A] 236236[C]
This one actually does over 5000 damage

j.C fatal counter:
j.C (FC) 236[A+B] dash ]A[ 2C 236C ]B[ 5C 5BB 5C 236[B]

I'm pretty tired right now. Ask away if you have any questions or if you want me to explain some area better (or some uncovered area).
Matchups are pretty important for her.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Doyagao posted:

Why are my favorite fighting game characters always bottom tier. :negative:

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Why are my favorite fighting game characters always bottom tier. :negative:

I'm pretty glad she's bottom tier instead of being up there with mitsuru, given her design. I really hope they will remake the character a little in the next revision if(=when) there will be one.

If you like her gameplay design, try Yukiko, Shadow Labrys or Naoto. They're zoning characters with a lot better balance.

If you like her for lore reasons, that's too bad :(

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy

Doyagao posted:

chie infodump

Been grinding out all of this for the past while now. Awesome stuff, thanks! I am a bit unclear on how her oki mixup is supposed to work though.

quote:

After finishing a combo and summoning 5DD, jump backwards and forward dash. If you press A+C in the air before inputting the dash, and delay the airdash enough, you can cross up the opponent and hit them from behind with j.B or j.A.
The typical mixup after 5DD j7 airdash is j.bb or empty jump into 2a. If you get blocked, go for 2a / a+b mixup, or 5a backdash bait r-action.

...specifically the bit about using A+C before airdashing over the opponent to cross them up. It seems to me like this causes you to air backdash, which isn't nearly long enough to make it over them. I have had success instead doing 5DD, dash forward, jump over, A+C, airdash into either j.bb or 2a. Am I misunderstanding something?

Also is it fine to practice this with the training dummy not blocking the 5DD?

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011

Kanpachi posted:

Been grinding out all of this for the past while now. Awesome stuff, thanks! I am a bit unclear on how her oki mixup is supposed to work though.

...specifically the bit about using A+C before airdashing over the opponent to cross them up. It seems to me like this causes you to air backdash, which isn't nearly long enough to make it over them. I have had success instead doing 5DD, dash forward, jump over, A+C, airdash into either j.bb or 2a. Am I misunderstanding something?

Also is it fine to practice this with the training dummy not blocking the 5DD?

If you're close to them (as you should be) when tossing out 5DD, you should cross them up with A+C airbackdash.
Make the opponent block in practice mode and try it again. Might be that they're being pushed away from the 5DD hits. Going for a mixup without 5DD when you have the chance to put it up is not worth it at all. Rather just put 5DD up, jump backwards to and time your airdash while they're in blockstun to avoid any r-actions. The simplest mixup is to just do j.bb vs empty airdash 2a there, and that alone is fairly effective.

Also if you're in a situation where you're too far to cross them up with turnaround airbackdash, you can do airdash turnaround j.a or j.b and if it hits them, you can pick the combo up with a quick dash 5a.

For those who have grinded all the Chie stuff and feel like learning a couple of new tricks, try these:

When the opponent is blocking, hit 5a 5b 5c for example. Cancel 5c into a quick jump airdash and time j.c to hit the opponent from behind. Cancel the j.c with one more burst. The j.c will cross them up and one more burst cancel will cross them up once again, doing two crossups so quickly that its nearly impossible to block it. And requiring burst, you automatically are forced to use it sparingly enough that it's very hard to read. The timing to get the double crossup done requires a little practice, but it's not hard at all. For the follow up, do the following:
j.C omb --> 5b 5c j.bb j.bb j.8d 236b 236a 214c 236236d for about 4900dmg if i recall correctly.

This double crossup can also be done with j.c omc j.bb instead of omb. Go for the regular miscreen/corner combos afterwards.

If the opponent is getting good at blocking your j.bb / 2a mixups, another simple trick that works a lot is to do 236a 236a omc a+b. Cancel the second 236a right after the overhead hit to make it a double overhead instead of overhead-low.

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011
The thread got awfully quiet.
I'll try to find the time to write an akihiko guide one of these days when I'm less busy. It's a character that needs quite a lot of information and practice, so it's going to be lengthy :morning:

I'll keep writing the guides as long as people report their progress. Makes it feel really useful to write them.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Doyagao posted:

The thread got awfully quiet.
I'll try to find the time to write an akihiko guide one of these days when I'm less busy. It's a character that needs quite a lot of information and practice, so it's going to be lengthy :morning:

I'll keep writing the guides as long as people report their progress. Makes it feel really useful to write them.

I certainly appreciate them. I main Labrys, but a friend of mine recently picked up this game and I was messing around with different characters while he was figuring out who to main. I'm loathe to say that with a bit of reading and a day of messing around, my Chie might be better than my Labrys in some matchups. I didn't really understand what all the day 1 Chie complaining was about when the game first came out, but I can kind of understand it now.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
I'm interested in learning Akihiko. I picked up the game when it came out, lost interest really quick, and lately I've been interested in picking it back up and trying a different character. It helps that the game will be at EVO this year, that should give the thread some extra activity maybe.

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!
Yeah, your guides are fantastic so keep sharing! We all appreciate them.

I play on PSN pretty much nightly off and on since launch, even though I am absolutely terrible at the game. If anyone wants a regular sparring partner or wants to set up something I'm pretty much always up for playing P4A. I main Yukiko and am really looking to get some experience vs Labrys and Akihiko.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Hey I posted this a while ago in my local scene's facebook but now I remembered that this thread exists so I figured I'd post it here too. This is about learning to block and tech throws better.

quote:

Alright so you have Persona and you're looking for a decent way to learn how to defend better. Here's a couple exercises for you.

First, learning to block overheads. Go into training mode, pick your character and make Chie your training dummy, since her overhead is the second-fastest in the game and has good range. You're going to record three different blockstrings for her, each on a different recording slot.

Record 1: 2A 5A 5B 2B 2AB -- This is a pretty standard blockstring that starts low and end with a sweep.
Record 2: 2A 5A 5B 2B delay 2AB -- Same as above, but you want to cancel 2B to sweep later.
Record 3: 2A 5A 5B 2B 5AB -- Blockstring into overhead. No delay on this.

Now set the recording to Random, get next to Chie and block low, then hit the play button. You job now is to learn how to react to the overhead. There's a 1 in 3 chance that the blockstring ends in an overhead, but also a 1 in 3 chance that if you stand up too early because of anticipation, you'll get knocked down by the delayed sweep. Your goal is to learn to block the overhead on reaction, not by guessing or cancel timing. Don't worry about punishing anything. Keep going until you can block 10 overheads in a row. If you lose count or get hit by anything, start over.

Second exercise, similar to the first but now you're learning to react to throws too. Training mode, your character vs Akihiko. Same as before, we're setting up 3 recordings to play randomly.

Record 1: 236A 4A 6C 2AB - Ends with Lv3 Sweep, which is the safest version he's got.
Record 2: 236A 4A 6C 5AB - Ends with Lv3 Overhead, which is the fastest in the game by 1 frame. Still very reactable.
Record 3: 236A 4A 6C Throw - You'll need to mess with the timing on this a little, if you do the throw too soon it'll whiff because you're still in blockstun. You will know the timing is right if you block the hook but the throw still has red shadows when it grabs you.

This time instead of keeping you honest with a delayed sweep, we're keeping you honest with a throw. You'll notice that if you mash on crouching CD you'll counter throw Aki if he goes low, but if he went for throw he'll tech out of your throw mashing and if he goes high he just hops over your throw and punches you in the brain. Like last time, don't worry about finding holes in the blockstrings or punishing anything. Your goal is to block 5 overheads AND tech 5 throws. Get hit by anything, start over.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
It should be noted that reacting to throws is pretty much a guess. The throw tech window after the exclamation point shows up is on the edge of human reaction time. You're reacting to the situation and the setup to the throw, and if you react the same to that situation every time, you're going to get your throw techs baited and eat fatal counters all day.

Also setting up the throw with the same blockstring over and over isn't a realistic example of "reacting" to throws. Of course when you know the exact timing a potential throw will come it's much easier to react to the visual cue. The best advice is just that it's a guess, and whether you should try to tech or not is heavily situational. The character you're playing against, the positioning, and general risk assessment. Akihiko and Mitsuru bait throws really easily into fatal counters but don't get much off of throws unless they spend meter or are in the corner. Naoto isn't amazing at baiting throws but will put you in a SMP loop if she has enough meter and lands one.

Edit: Also if you take into account display lag and input lag and god forbid netplay, you lose a bit of time on being able to react to the visual cue.

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 12, 2013

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Yeah I hadn't really messed around much with the high/low/throw one when I posted it, but I guess the main intent was to make my local players remember that throws exist in this game but I couldn't really come up with a better exercise to demonstrate that at the time. Also to show them that random playback slots is a pretty baller thing to have in training mode and I wish every fighting game had it.

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011
While (I bet) you're all messing around with the training doll, try picking mitsuru as the doll and record B+D -> 236236C and practice punishing it with dash 5a or 5b. Most characters can do dash 5a, miss the timing by a frame and still block 236236C. It's even better if they don't have meter to omc the super.

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff
Thank you for your Chie guide Doyagao, it was written in a way that gives a lot of information without coming off as a long rear end bible to read like a lot of the guides on dustloops guilty gear character sections. It's a very good starting point to playing Chie. Now I just need to start learning actual matchups and when the bait things and what to look for from different characters as I'm past the stage of brain lag combo execution in actual matches. With that said I'm fairly interested in Labyrs since you said you have knowledge with her.

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011
Great to hear.
For matchup experience the obvious choice is to play a lot, and when you run into problems, try to find videos of stronger players playing the same matchup to see how they deal with the things you're having trouble with. Sometimes it might take a moment to see it, as it's often about what they are not doing instead of what they are doing. If you netplay you can save your own replays too, and you should all do it even if you don't think they're good replays. It'll help spotting things you should get rid of. To improve mindgames, try watching your own replay of a match you don't remember that well. Try to guess your own moves beforehand - if you can do that, you're being predictable.

I'll write a Labrys guide after Sanada. Just been a little busy.
I had my usual group of people at my house two days ago and I started playing Naoto as well. Maybe some weeks later I'll add her to the list of characters I know. She's more fun than I had thought.

For Sanada players waiting for the guide, while you wait, go grind these:
microdash 5a
microdash 2a
instant air backdash j.c (as low as possible)
microdash 5b

Sanada is much more about execution than the other characters (Except maybe Naoto). I hope you knew it when you decided to main him, or if you're going to pick him seriously now.
He's not a high tier character either - but pays off very well if you train him hard.

about Midscreen to corner:
5b fatal counter -> 236b 6C B+D 2B j.B 2B j.B microdash 5B j.B 5AA 2A+B 236A 6C 6A 236236B || 6124dmg, 15% SP required when starting this combo
5b fatal counter -> 236b 6C B+D 2B j.B 2B j.B 5B j.B 5B 5AA 2A+B 6C B+D 236236B 236236B || 7164dmg, 64% SP required
5b fatal counter -> 236b 6C B+D 2B j.B 2B j.B 5B j.B 5B 5AA 2A+B B+D 236236B 236236B 236236B || 7815dmg, 117% SP required
These combos, as you see, deal a lot of damage. Most of the time they finish the game in one combo. As a little downside, they're quite hard to land.
They're worth the practice, however. Or else, Sanada is not really worth playing if you want to win.

Any combos harder than these are mostly for show off and I'd recommend getting these down 100% than trying any harder combo. (For example the 9500dmg omb combo to kill narukami from full hp)

training these pieces should keep Sanada players busy until I actually make a proper guide! Happy grinding

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
I love the mini guides, I don't know any specifics of other characters aside from S.Lab, so it's useful to know how things work from another character's perspective.

As always I can answer questions about S.Lab, but I really have no idea how to go about writing a guide for her (and when I do, it would probably be in the form of a video anyway).

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011
Sanada Akihiko - proper guide for those who want to master the character

:sotw: WARNING - tens of hours in practice mode ahead! - WARNING :sotw:
Sanada is a very execution heavy character with short range, but decent tools to close in on the opponent.
His mixups are supbar, but his combo damage is absolutely massive. To make up for his other shortcomings,
Sanada needs to maximize his damage output from every situation. This guide will be pretty focused on his
combos, as without them sanada has very little to offer. I will try to explain other areas thoroughly as well.
Every combo I've listed I believe are very essential to Sanada and you should take the time to learn them all.

[edit] I'm working on an easy mode guide that you should be able to master in a few hours for those who are content
with playing him at lower level. If you're new to fighting games, the execution in the combos listed in this guide is pretty brutal.
In the easy mode guide I'll only list combos that have very loose timings.

grind before starting
To even get started with the character, you need to perfect microdash with him. After spending an hour or so just
doing microdash 5a microdash 2a microdash 5a microdash 2a jump over a+c j.b microdash 2a etc while the opponent is blocking,
you should have that part down well enough. If not, keep practicing before moving on.

I assume you're familiar with his moveset already, so I won't be explaining what each special does.

Antiair
Sanada 2B is a very good antiair move, learn to use it at an early stage and use it to beat out any jump in attempts.
The combo afterwards depends on whether 2B counterhit or not.
After a regular hit: 2B hjc JA JB j214A (236236A 236236B 236236B) 1517/3815/5480 damage
after ch: 2B(ch) airdash j.B [5B j.B]*2 5AAA 6B (236236B) 3132/5847 damage, super only in the corner
midscreen you can do 5588damage by finishing with 5AAA B+D(1 hit) 236236B 236326B for 5588damage
The highest damage version is near the corner: (the previously mentioned are enough though)
2B(ch) 5C omb 214C 236D B+D [5B j.B]*2 5AA 2A+B 236A 6C 6A 236236B for 6721 damage
You can skip the 236A and do two 23623B for 7504 damage or add one 5B j.B loop into triple 236236B for 8363 damage.

Zoning
Ex Corkscrew
Ex corkscrew is a very scary tool that breaks a lot of things and leads into a somewhat high damage combo.
It costs 25% meter and 50% more to make it safe, but it's worth it to show your opponent that you're willing to throw
it to keep them on their toes and think twice before using their superior zoning moves to keep you at distance.
In some matchups you should throw it even if you only have 25% meter just to make them afraid and shut down a lot of their zoning game.
Combos after FC:
Midscreen: 2B j.B 5B j.B 5AA 2A+B 236A 6B. ~3600dmg
Corner: 2B j.B 5B 236B 6C B+D 5AA 2A+B 236A 6B ~4100 damage.
Corner 100% meter: end with 5AA 2A+B 6C 6A 236236B 236236B ~6652 damage.
j.C
j.C counterhit has good range, is an overhead, nets a lot of damage on counterhit.
Try not to overuse it as it's not safe if you're too close and too high up in the air.
Instant air backdash into very low j.C at max range is pretty difficult to punish for most characters, but
leaves you at disadvantage without omc. The damage and threat from j.C counterhit makes it a worthwhile move to spam.
OMC also makes it easier to pick the combo from j.C.
For combos:
Anywhere:
j.C [5B j.B]*3 5AA 2A+B 236A 6B 5029dmg no gauge
j.C 6C 6A 2835 damage go for this if you're in no position to do anything else. No-gauge backjump j.C for example
Close to corner:
j.C 236B 6C B+D [5B j.B]*2 5AA 2A+B 236A 6C 6A 236236B 7520dmg, 14gauge required. You need to either use raising j.C at the fastest
possible timing, or descending j.C as low as possible and then 236B as fast as possible. If you miss the timing they can punish you,
but the gauge gain + damage ratio from this combo are great.
j.C 236A+B 6C B+D [5B j.B]*2 5AA 2A+B 236A 6C 6A 236B 236B 8324dmg, 115gauge required

normals
Akihiko has fast 5A and 2A which provide great poking tools. Try to hit 2A only once and hitconfirm it into 2B for better combos.
midscreen:
5AA 5B 2B 2A+B 236A 6B 2615damage, no gauge midscreen combo
5AA 5B 2B 236A+B 4B 6D B+D 2A+B 236A 6B 3552damage, requires 18sp on start.
5AA 5B 2B 236A+B 4B 6C 6B 236236B 4572damage, requires 66sp at start. If you want to level with 1x super at midscreen, use this.
2A 2B 236A 4A 6B 1714damage. A safe combo, but doesn't net much damage and recovers 16sp.
2A 2B 236A+B 6D B+D 5B j.B 5AA 2A+B 236A 6B 3120damage, requires 21sp at start. 5B j.B into 5AA is difficult, but if you can get it to work use this.
Dropping the 5B j.B part from the combo will drop the damage to 2800ish.

corner:
5AA 5B 2B 2A+B 236A 4A 6C B+D 2A+B 4C 6A 3185damage no gauge corner combo
5AA 5B 2B 2A+B 236A+B 6C B+D 5AA 2A+B 6C 6B 236236B 236236B 6366damage cornercombo, requires 113sp at start.

Backjump, early forward airdash j.B is a good tool to close in when your opponents are vary of j.C. The move has a lot of active frames and
the hitbox extends quite far, making it harder to antiair this on reaction.
j.B (microdash) 5B 2B 236A+B 6D B+D microdash 5B j.B 5AA 2A+B 236A 6B, 4203damage 18sp. The 5B j.B is pretty difficult, but if you omit the
first 5B it'll become easier and the combo will deal 4055damage.

Microdash 2B isn't bad on the ground either and it gives a good hitconfirm from 2B 2A+B 236A
Microdash 5B isn't often very likely to hit, but the damage it nets makes it worth a try every now and then. Be sure to hitconfirm into 236B on fc!
Midscreen to corner:
5B(fc) 236B 6C B+D [2B j.B]*2 microdash 5B j.B 5AA 2A+B 236A 6C 6A 236236B 6124damage, 15sp
5B(fc) 236B 6C B+D [2B j.B]*2 microdash 5B j.B 5AA 2A+B 4C 6A 236236B 236236B 7164damage, 64sp
5B(fc) 236B 6C B+D [2B j.B]*2 microdash 5B j.B 5AA 2A+B B+D 236236B 236236B 236236B 7815damage, 117sp
I can't even describe the feeling I get whenever I land 5B around mid of the screen to corner and go for one of these combos.
The j.B loops require the most practice, and probably the 5AA pickup, but these combos really make the character

Use this one if you're back against the corner and the above combos don't have enough carry:
5B(fc) 236B 6C B+D [2B j.B]*2 5AAA 4A 4C 6B 236236B, 5822damage 6sp
5B(fc) 236B 6C B+D [2B j.B]*2 5AAA B+D 236236B 236236B, 6552damage 63sp

Pressure:
When closing in, you want to do singular 2A and 5A a lot and bait B+D to land your 5B fc combos.
Baiting a DP will pretty much win you the round, so do it a lot.
After tossing some normals you can either do 2A j9 A+C j.B crossup microdash 5B, combo listed earlier
or go for Sanada's special moves. After his normals, you can do the following routes:
2A+B low
A+B high
microdash throw
crossup j.B
--------------
after 2A+B you can 236A which gives you (and your opponent) a very slight pause to think.
After 236A:
4A is airtight
4B loses to b+d, but beats pokes.
4{B} is unblockable
4A+B beats most of the things the opponent can throw. May lose to b+d, depending on timings.

After hook:
2A+B low
A+B high
6C throw
microdash 2A to reset the pressure

You can also do 6C into 214C+D to dodge B+D and throwbreaks and punish those.

Occasional backdashes and iabd j.C are great to punish quick escapes and B+D with huge combos.

If you land a 2A+B, you can go for the following combo:
2A+B 236A 6C+D B+D microdash 5B j.B 5AAA 6B for 3464 damage, 18sp.

If you land A+B midscreen, too far away from D finish:
A+B C-finish hjc j.A j.B j214A, 2946damage. Works even without fatal counter. You can combo into 236236A in the end
A+B C-finish hjc j.A j.B j214A+B B+D 236236A 236236B, 5851damage, 125sp.
Corner:
A+B D-finish 2B j.B 5B 236B 6C B+D 5AA 2A+B 6C 6A 236236B 236236B, 3949damage without supers, I can't remember how much it does with 2 supers. Will need to check it later.

From hooks you get the highest damage combos Sanada has. I'm not going to list all the hook combos though, as there are tons of them so i'll just list the ones I find the most useful and common ones.
corner:
Lv 3 4A+B FC > 6C 4{B} 5C omb 2C 2A 2A+B 236A+B 6C B+D 2B j.B [5B j.B]*4 5B(1) 6C 4A 236236B 236236B does 11567damage. seriously.
Lv3 4A+B fc 6D 4{B} 4D 4A 2C 2B j.B 5B j.B 5AA 2A+B 6C 6A 236236B, 7612damage

Midscreen:
Any hook normal hit 6C B+D [5B j.B]*2 5AA 2A+B 6B, 3776damage, for level 1-2 4A hooks you'll have to do 6C+D. For level 1 4A hook it's more stable to do 5B j.B only once or the timing gets really difficult.
any hook fc > 6C B+D [2B j.B]*2 5B j.B 5AA 2A+B 236A 6B, 3697damage
Lv3 4A fc 6D 4{B} 4D B+D [2B j.B]*2 5B j.B 5AA 2A+B 236A 6B, 4833damage
Lv3 4A fc 6D 4{B} 4D B+D [2B j.B]*2 5B j.B 5AA 2A+B 236A 6C 6A 236236B, 6483damage
Lv3 4A+B fc 6D 4{B} 4D 4A 2C [2B j.B]*2 5B j.B 5AA 2A+B 236A 6B, 6134damage.
4{B} means holding 4B to max

Throws

level 0: throw 4A 6B, in the corner 236236B. 1336 / 3001 damage
If you do this from level 1 throw, you can do 236236B anywhere.
level 1: throw b+d microdash 5B 2B hjc j.A j.B j.214A

level 2: throw 4A 6D 4{B} 4C B+D 2A+B 236A 6C 6A, 2189damage. In the corner you can link 2x 236236b for 4904 damage

counterhit:
throw ch 5B 2B 2A+B 236A 6B 2028 damage
throw ch 5B 2A+B 236A 6C 6A 236236B 3600 damage, corner only.

Defense
Obviously you'll want to guard a lot and punish overheads to force the opponent into using strings with more gaps and higher risks.
Check 2B from the antiair section.
5A and 2A are fast, so you can often use them to break the opponent's blockstrings with wide gaps.
Sometimes poking with 5B is funny too, as in this situation if it's going to hit, it'll most likely be a fatal counter.
Sanada's blocked B+D can be cancelled into any of his supers to make it safe or add some damage with 236236B to finish the game.

Phew, I hope there are no errors and I didn't forget anything important. I'll give more random pieces of info in bits like I'm doing for other characters.
This should keep every Sanada player busy for a pretty long time though. I'm not going to kid anyone, it'll take time to master all the combos. Even remembering them takes a while,
yet remembering and being able to land them are important parts of playing Sanada.

Wrote this until 5am, time to head off to bed!
Sorry if the format is a huge mess.

Doyagao fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 18, 2013

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff
drat these guides really need to be in the OP good poo poo Doyagao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fightest
Nov 4, 2009

Great Sage
Equal of Heaven
Oh man, Labrys' story. I literally had to pause when the bit with Heartful Cry came on. :smith:

• Locked thread