Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mask
Jun 8, 2003
Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's worth buying. Also, it will be on sale for $15 on Amazon.com digital in a few days (which registers on Steam).

Seriously, it's worth experiencing and DS2 won't be out for at the very least another year (absolute minimum, more likely closer to two years). This is way more time than it will take you to play and enjoy DS1.

Thank you all for your answers. I saw the sale for consoles but I only play on PC's and reading this is really refreshing. If I may ask, is it that Steam Prepare to Die Edition? I will go roll around Amazon and try to hunt down an ETA on this sale now, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The only version on PC is the Prepare to Die edition. So you're fine buying it anywhere.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Mask posted:

Hate to ask a watered down question like this but I have never played Dark Souls and always found it really interesting from the streams/youtube videos I have watched. Do you guys believe it is worth purchasing now or should I just wait for Dark Souls 2?

Why would you want to wait for Dark Souls 2? Dark Souls is a good game, if you want to play a good game buy it. If you don't, then don't. Nobody knows when DS2 is coming out even.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Since they're aiming at a western market pretty directly with Dark Souls 2 this time, I'd say they're targeting holiday 2013. Just a guess.

But yeah buy dark souls already. It owns.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

And there's even online activity in DeS which is a couple of years older than DaS.

re: What happens if I run into a PKKer or someone either overlevelled or with equipment matching my own? Try to lure them into their own death* or just mess around with dung and stuff. It doesn't cost me more than a few minutes of time whether I win or lose.

*There was one memorable encounter with a fisher in the Parish; first time I ran up to the channeller and he got killed at the same time as he WotGed everything in the room (but hey a double KO is still a KO), and the second I got him to follow me on to the drake bridge. Toast.

http://www.twitch.tv/angrymog/c/1785950 - The barrel of Doom!
http://www.twitch.tv/angrymog/c/1785935 - One. Perfect. Parry

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 19, 2012

Mask
Jun 8, 2003
Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

Mischitary posted:

Why would you want to wait for Dark Souls 2? Dark Souls is a good game, if you want to play a good game buy it. If you don't, then don't. Nobody knows when DS2 is coming out even.

Only because I recently have been shown what a great game Dark Souls is and my first several Google searches had Dark Soul 2 development hits up everywhere. I realize now it is a far ways away so I will wait for the inevitable Digital price drop that was mentioned earlier and pick it up. Hopefully I didn't derail everyone to much.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tallgeese posted:

Stuff like that is excessively rare. Most of the time it's Zweihanders, Great Scythes, and Shotels abound who run in, gank, and go. A couple of Demon Spears sometimes. No gimmick to speak of. How is that fun for the target in any way?

It's not about the target having fun, it's about killing them. To most people it doesn't matter how you kill them or how "fair" the fight is, they just want them to die. You clearly think the same way since the people invading you don't stand a chance since you are vastly over leveled compared to them. You're doing the same thing, just in reverse.

VVV Bleh, misread his post. Thought he said he was a character in range to be summoned by NG+ characters. Still, it isn't hard to understand why dickwraiths are called dickwraiths. They don't care if you have fun when they kill you, otherwise they wouldn't be invading a place where the majority of players can't fight back.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 19, 2012

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
Buddy, if you feel you don't stand a chance against someone with 500 odd hp when you've got maxed out gear, maybe it's time to stop ganking noobs in the burg and start learning how to play the game.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Internet Kraken posted:

It's not about the target having fun, it's about killing them. To most people it doesn't matter how you kill them or how "fair" the fight is, they just want them to die. You clearly think the same way since the people invading you don't stand a chance since you are vastly over leveled compared to them. You're doing the same thing, just in reverse.

...You call this overlevelled?

http://mmdks.com/ihp

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Three decadent, wasteful levels!

I kid, I kid. In all seriousness though, I felt the same way about dickwraiths, before I tried it.

I'll never, ever go back. The dark side is more fun than the naysayers know.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

So I'm trying to piece together the story for the game and one thing I'm confused about are the giants and the Four Lords themselves. Are the giant people humans imbued with more Souls? Also was Gwyn and the Witch of Izalith humans that ascended to godhood or were they already demi-gods at that point?

I can see why the people developing DS2 want to un-obfuscate the story. I love the nonlinear and noninvasive storytelling in Dark Souls but I'm left with more questions than answers half of the time. That's probably the point, isn't it?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I got drunk last night and one shotted Artorias and Manus. I should really do Drunk Souls more often.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

fennesz posted:

I got drunk last night and one shotted Artorias and Manus. I should really do Drunk Souls more often.

Drunk Souls goes 2 ways. 1: You play unbelievably well and can't replicate the experience sober and 2: you die to a hollow soldier 6 times in a row.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

It's one way really, both things happen at the same time.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Someone explain this Humanity and Hollow thing to me. I'm still not very far into the game but so far I haven't seen any benefits to turning myself back into human yet. What's this all about?

[edit] Why are there random corpses stuck in barrels :staredog:

Also I have no idea why I'm doing the stuff I'm doing but I enjoy doing it. Will the story go somewhere or is it mostly just me wandering around slaughtering monsters because I can until the end?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

superh posted:

Three decadent, wasteful levels!

I kid, I kid. In all seriousness though, I felt the same way about dickwraiths, before I tried it.

I'll never, ever go back. The dark side is more fun than the naysayers know.

Clearly the solution is to make a dark wraith that is a dignified murderer. I'll beat everyone to death with my cane.

Zzulu posted:

Someone explain this Humanity and Hollow thing to me. I'm still not very far into the game but so far I haven't seen any benefits to turning myself back into human yet. What's this all about?

[edit] Why are there random corpses stuck in barrels :staredog:

Also I have no idea why I'm doing the stuff I'm doing but I enjoy doing it. Will the story go somewhere or is it mostly just me wandering around slaughtering monsters because I can until the end?

Being human causes a number of things to happen, but the main reason to go human is that it lets you kindle bonfires. Kindling a bonfire uses one humanity to make it give +5 estus flasks.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Being human:
-you can kindle bonfires by sacrifcing liquid humanity to permanently increase estus flasks given by the bonfire
-you can summon other players and npcs to help
-you can be invaded

Hollow:
-Can't kindle
-Can't summon others but can place a sign to be summoned
-Can't be invaded

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Zzulu posted:

Okay.

First off, you start out Hollow, and go back to being hollow when you die, it's the "default state".

You can use Humanity to increase your "liquid humanity" (the large number in the upper left hand corner). This increases your item drop rate (making it more likely you'll get poo poo from defeated enemies).

When you get to bonfire, you can spend "liquid humanity" to become human. This allows several things:

1. You can be invaded by other players (and by certain game NPCs).
2. You can summon other players to help you (and certain game NPCs).
3. While human, you can "Kindle" bonfires. It costs another liquid humanity, and it raises the number of charges your Estus Flask has. Every bonfire starts with 5 Estus charges. Kindling a bonfire once ups the charges to 10. Later in the game you can kindle even more.

If you die with liquid humanity, you can recover it from your bloodstain. If you die while human, you become hollow again. To become human again you'll have to spend another liquid humanity at a bonfire.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Liquid humanity also increases curse resistance and the bonus damage of chaos weapons. I think all of that caps at 10 humanity (including item drop, which can be further boosted by the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Vanderdeath posted:

So I'm trying to piece together the story for the game and one thing I'm confused about are the giants and the Four Lords themselves. Are the giant people humans imbued with more Souls? Also was Gwyn and the Witch of Izalith humans that ascended to godhood or were they already demi-gods at that point?

None of this is known for sure.

It's fairly strongly hinted that humanity and chaos are related, and that humanity and the abyss are related. Also, Darkstalker Kaathe (who might well be a complete liar) tells you that the Age of Fire is the age of the gods, and that snuffing out the First Flame will free mortalkind from them.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Huh, one thing I never realized is that using the Dark Hand soul sucking ability doesn't actual agro NPCs. Managed to get my 30 humanity for the Chaos Covenant really easy this way. The NPCs in Firelink alone will give you over 30.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Thundercracker posted:

Huh, one thing I never realized is that using the Dark Hand soul sucking ability doesn't actual agro NPCs. Managed to get my 30 humanity for the Chaos Covenant really easy this way. The NPCs in Firelink alone will give you over 30.

I just discovered this in my current playthrough as well. If you finish Rhea's story so she ends up in the Undead Parish she gives you 12! :woop:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

cat doter posted:

Drunk Souls goes 2 ways. 1: You play unbelievably well and can't replicate the experience sober and 2: you die to a hollow soldier 6 times in a row.

This is very true. On my first playthrough I died maybe...8 times trying to kill O+S solo. I woke up, still a little bit drunk, and beat them handily on my first attempt.

I should also add that on my way to Manus I died to trying to firestorm that giant pack of humanity like 3 times in a row :v:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I love the "the only ethical unfair fight is MY unfair fight" argument going down in all thks. I just don't get it - dark beading dickwraiths is no better than dickwraithing itself. Which is to say, both are fine. The game's pvp is intentionally assymetrical and non-consensual. It's not always supposed to be fun for both parties. If I'm dickwraithing and there's someone fishing for dickwraiths, big whoop. I'm gonna run at him with my reinforced club, try to bash his friggin head in, and do a little dance if I win. If I lose, then once more unto the breach, dear friends!

(Sidenote: Tallgeese, you should try fishing for Dickwraiths as a Skelebro. From what I've heard, skelebros who are actively making GBS threads up other worlds get bumped to the top of the invasion priority. Skelebro + Dried Finger = rolling in dickwraiths)

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

Angrymog posted:

I don't always gank newbies, but when I do, I diguise as a barrel and follow them half-way through the Parish before setting up the backstab.

Hooooly poo poo! I didn't know you could do that. Best spell. Also, i got the Black Knight Sword on the first kill, maxed it out, and I still can't kill the Capra or the Bell Gargoyles. Moonlight Butterfly went down in 3 or 4 swings, though.

e: I've only played like 12 hours. Big noob.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Hooooly poo poo! I didn't know you could do that. Best spell. Also, i got the Black Knight Sword on the first kill, maxed it out, and I still can't kill the Capra or the Bell Gargoyles. Moonlight Butterfly went down in 3 or 4 swings, though.

e: I've only played like 12 hours. Big noob.

Chameleon is probably my favorite spell in the game. There's a video floating around of this guy and his two friendly phantoms in Undead Parish, who used chameleon to turn pvp into a shellgame for this invader. (Anyone got a link to it? I just looked and couldn't find it)

You can do all sorts of fun poo poo with that spell, the Dragonslayer Greatbow, and Force/Emit Force

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Shab posted:

I just discovered this in my current playthrough as well. If you finish Rhea's story so she ends up in the Undead Parish she gives you 12! :woop:

I got 12 from her without finish her story right at firelink. I think the humanity stored for drops vs stored for Dark Handing is different? Anyway, pretty funny her guards just staring at me while I ravage her for humanity twelve times.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Died to Super Ornstein who was down to 1/4 health on my fifth try. I feel a strange mixture of happiness and frustration at that.

edit: I know this is all probably passe to you guys but it's real to me, dammit

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I still haven't beaten super Ornstein. First time through, I killed him first because he was being a zippy rear end in a top hat and I could engage him without engaging Smough. Second time, I tried to beat Super Ornstein, but after a couple deaths I said gently caress it, because it was so much harder to get Smough down without taking a lot of damage from Ornstein while I did it, and then he kept nailing me pretty well with his lightning poo poo. God knows what I'll do when I need the Leo ring.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I don't have so much problem with low-level dickwraiths (I mostly see people with strange and novel builds though) but the rampant hacking is bringing me down.

Then again the leveling system in DS allows such a range of weird poo poo that a strange variation of Clarke's Third Law applies: A suitably advanced sperglord is indistinguishable from a hacker

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I just discovered that doing PvP as a pure sorcerer is impacted a LOT less by latency and as such is more fun. Although, oddly enough I only lost two of the 15 or so invasions I just pulled and they were all to teleporting backstabs or the game not registering my shield was raised :v: I probably would have lost in both situations though, I had to close the distance because I was nearly out of spell casts.

It's also hilarious killing people with a single Crystal Soul Spear.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Thundercracker posted:

Whoa this is awesome.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

fennesz posted:

I just discovered that doing PvP as a pure sorcerer is impacted a LOT less by latency and as such is more fun. Although, oddly enough I only lost two of the 15 or so invasions I just pulled and they were all to teleporting backstabs or the game not registering my shield was raised :v: I probably would have lost in both situations though, I had to close the distance because I was nearly out of spell casts.

It's also hilarious killing people with a single Crystal Soul Spear.

It's less affected by latency on your end; you actually benefit from it. God help the man who has to fight a laggy sorcerer.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
Man, all these jerks doing invasions makes me play hollow most of the time, I go human when I think it'll be beneficial but it's only because I've read and seen so much supplemental stuff about the game to know when it'd be opportune, but it's super annoying to have gankers jump in my game all the time just because they seem to think it's fun. I'm primarily playing a single player game, but sometimes you just get obliterated by some jerkwad that's way way overpowered. It makes me want to run a trainer in the background just so I can activate god mode and stand there until they get bored and quit.

I like how so many people try to justify being assholes by saying it's built into the game, yeah that's great, but really, this game is HARSH to a new player, it sure as hell was for me, and when I was initially playing I was having issues with NPC invaders, never mind humans that had half a brain.

The challenge and fun of this game is me exploring and discovering things, getting cool items and just taking it all in. I think if pvpers as 'just another mob' that I may die to, but well, that gets really really tiring after a while. I detest pvp in most games tho, so this is not surprising.

My kingdom for a gimmick/funny invader.

Edit: vvv I've been in situations before where I had to resort to summoning another player to help me out, so I tend to not run in offline mode.

Bats fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 19, 2012

Kamer Kamer Cola
Dec 25, 2009
You can just disable online interactions entirely and never have to deal with anyone else.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I never got invaded until I hit Anor Londo, and I've only been invaded three times. Two of them were rather ordinary and I beat them pretty handily (no, this isn't counting NPC invasions), even though it was my first run through the game, the other was rolling around infinitely and was impossible to hit.

3 Stacked Midgets
Jul 29, 2004
Triple Threat
I would love PvP if it wasn't so laggy so often. Also, miracles and sorcery are just so much better than melee, which can make fights more boring than they'd be otherwise.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

tractor fanatic posted:

It's less affected by latency on your end; you actually benefit from it. God help the man who has to fight a laggy sorcerer.

I've been oneshotted or backstabbed through my shield so many goddamn times. I am completely alright with this :allears:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

e: Post a lot of trip reports. A bunch of them. The best part of this thread is hearing about newbies and their first impressions/experiences

From a few pages back, but I'll keep that in mind as well! I started to feel a bit smug after I took out the Gargoyles on top of the Parish in one go (with Solaire's help, naturally). Of course hubris got the best of me when I went down to the Lower Undead Burg and got my poo poo wrecked by the first group of Undead Assassins and lost most of the souls I just got. Confidence is going to get me killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

PunkBoy posted:

From a few pages back, but I'll keep that in mind as well! I started to feel a bit smug after I took out the Gargoyles on top of the Parish in one go (with Solaire's help, naturally). Of course hubris got the best of me when I went down to the Lower Undead Burg and got my poo poo wrecked by the first group of Undead Assassins and lost most of the souls I just got. Confidence is going to get me killed.

This reminds me of a good story I forgot to tell. I'm spoiling all relevant monsters because honestly figuring out the dangers each monster presents has been like 90% of the enjoyment of this game for me.

I've made it a habit to kindle every bonfire the moment I find it for the extra estus charges. In the Depths, I kindled the bonfire, naturally leaving me human. I saw a summon sign on the ground and decided to go for it, so a phantom bro and I ended up clearing out most of the area. He had a habit of charging ahead of me which eventually lead to his defeat, but it made my life easier since I had fewer monsters to fight.

Later, as I was working on beating the Gaping Dragon, I realized I had to figure out how to get to the channeler to make the fight easier. I went back down to the lower level of the Depths to see if there was an elevator up or anything. After all, there hadn't been anything dangerous down there when I went with my phantom bro.

Yeaaaaah turns out he had cleared out every basilisk down there before I got down there. Needless to say, I died.

And worse.

• Locked thread