Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Iucounu posted:

If you get one thing from 80s Crim, get Absent Lovers. It's insanely good.

I'll probably just get it all based on these recommendations. I found a copy of Beat once but the cover gave me the impression that it was going to be some terrible 80s synthpop or something so I skipped it. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Agree with Absent Lovers. King Crimson live is not a thing to be ignored.

Other good live albums from the Crim:
USA - Wetton era live album
VROOM VROOM - Thrak lineup live album
The Deception of the Thrush - ProjeKcts live album, all instrumental jams
Epitaph - Greg Lake era live album
Ladies of the Road - Islands Lineup live album, much better than Earthbound
The Great Deceiver - Wetton era live box set, a lot more jamming than USA
Heavy Construction - 2000 era Live album
EleKtrik: Live in Japan - 2003 era Live album

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
From what I've heard Adrian Belew's solo albums are usually better than the concurrent solo material. Come to think of it I don't really like any of Fripp's contributions to King Crimson from Beat to ConstruKction of Light. Belew pretty much singlehandedly turns THRAK into something worthwhile.

As far as live sets go I still maintain Absent Lovers is the best one but the first disc of VROOOM VROOOM (from the double trio in 1996, right before they split up) is almost as good.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
The Great Deceiver Box Set is amazing. It was my introduction to King Crimson (my local library, of all places, had it). It really showcases the peak musical ability of that lineup. It's got some of the best solos Fripp ever played, and We'll Let You Know and Providence were put on the albums Starless And Bible Black and Red, respectively.

If you haven't yet, go to their website, dgmlive.com, and check out the authorized bootlegs, taken from their soundboard. Their set from Nagoya, Japan, April 20, 2003 is amazing - possibly the best Pat Mastelotto has ever played.

Live in Udine, March 19, 1974 is also spectacular. It has my favorite version of Doctor Diamond, and a Wetton piece called Guts On My Side that is a...fun song. "Fun" being a term I never thought I'd use to describe King Crimson.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Just got a note in my email from Bass Player magazine that apparently Yes will be playing through some of their classic albums on tour:

"This year’s Bass Player Lifetime Achievement Award recipient Chris Squire will be hitting the road with Yes in 2013 to perform the band’s The Yes Album, Close to the Edge, and Going For the One albums in their entirety. YES, indeed!"

http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/yes-to-perform-three-classic-albums-each-night-on-2013-tour/150148

I haven't been to a concert in a while, so I think I'm going to go out of my way to see this.

Also, thanks to this thread I was also able to pick up a few more Genesis albums (Selling England By The Pound and A Trick Of The Tail). It was getting kind of boring listening to the same three albums all the time. The iTunes version of Trick of the Tail also has a video with interviews with Phil, Steve, Tony, and Mike about making things work after Peter left...it's pretty cool!

I also picked up "Moving Waves," by Focus - not sure if they're considered prog or not, but it's a great album. Also got Aqualung and Thick As A Brick by Jethro Tull. I did grab the self-titled ELP album, but I disliked seeing that it came with a bunch of redundant "alternate take" tracks. I'm not a fan of this, as the takes really don't seem to have that much to differentiate them and listening to the same songs repeatedly is boring. Still a great album though!

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Moving Waves was my first cd. Bought it in 1989 when it first came out on cd. I was 9 years old. It still gets regular rotation from me, and was my gateway into all things prog.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.
Santa (at least that's what the label on my present said) brought me the big Lark's Tongues boxed set. I just heard the remaster itself, and it sounds waaaaaaaaay clearer than before. All the muddiness is gone.

This will be a Larks' Tongues day. Only 14 CDs to go.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Mithra6 posted:

Santa (at least that's what the label on my present said) brought me the big Lark's Tongues boxed set. I just heard the remaster itself, and it sounds waaaaaaaaay clearer than before. All the muddiness is gone.

This will be a Larks' Tongues day. Only 14 CDs to go.

Jesus, a 15 CD box set of one single LP? These box sets are getting ridiculously excessive.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Gianthogweed posted:

Jesus, a 15 CD box set of one single LP? These box sets are getting ridiculously excessive.

What, you don't want to hear every take of every session ever laid to tape?

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Gianthogweed posted:

Well.... excessive to some!

It has the new mix, the previous remaster, outtakes, DVDs of performances, and about 9 or so live recordings from the period. As a diehard Crimson fan, I've always wanted to hear most of this, and LTIA is probably my favorite album.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

Just got a note in my email from Bass Player magazine that apparently Yes will be playing through some of their classic albums on tour:

"This year’s Bass Player Lifetime Achievement Award recipient Chris Squire will be hitting the road with Yes in 2013 to perform the band’s The Yes Album, Close to the Edge, and Going For the One albums in their entirety. YES, indeed!"

I wouldn't get too excited about this. Based on all the footage I've seen of them from 2003 onward, they can't play the classic stuff anymore. Chris and Alan just can't play anything to speed anymore, so they slow it down to half the speed it was on the record, and it becomes boring.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Prog Doctor posted:

I wouldn't get too excited about this. Based on all the footage I've seen of them from 2003 onward, they can't play the classic stuff anymore. Chris and Alan just can't play anything to speed anymore, so they slow it down to half the speed it was on the record, and it becomes boring.

Yeah look at this version of "Close to the Edge":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwHnbN5eysc

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Mithra6 posted:

Yeah look at this version of "Close to the Edge":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwHnbN5eysc

To be fair, CTTE hasn't been played up to speed since the 70s. Even on An Evening of Yes Music Plus you can definitely hear how much they slowed down the intro, and that was with Bruford on the drums. That recording has Jeff Berlin on bass though, and not Tony Levin. I'm not sure if the Tony Levin version is any faster. Still, this is the slowest I've heard them play it yet.

edit:

Actually, after watching the 1990 ABWH video of CTTE, I guess they were playing it up to speed during the ABWH tour. It is slower than the way they used to play it live. The 1973 and 1975 versions are frantic as all hell. But this version does match the speed of the record at least.

I've seen Yes three times. The first time was in 2000 for the Masterworks tour, then in 2001 for the symphonic tour, and finally in 2004 for the 35th anniversary tour. The symphonic concert was probably the best one I've seen. They still had the energy and the orchestra really did add a new layer of awesomeness to the music. 2004 was probably the worst, despite the return if Rick Wakeman. They definitely had lost a lot of their energy by this point and the slow down was starting to become really noticeable. I'm not sure if it's just because they're old men now, or if it's just that they don't practice as much as they used to. It's probably a combination of the two, but it is a letdown to listen to an awesome live album like Yessongs, which is probably my favorite live album of all time, and then hear them perform today. They sound like two completely different bands. One amazing, and one average at best.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 28, 2012

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Wow, that 2011 video is pretty drat bad. Not jut the slowdown and the lack of energy but it's pretty sloppy and the vocals and harmonies are hit-and-miss at best. Steve Howe is still fun to watch, though...he looks like The Mad Scientist Of Prog. The keyboardist (Wakeman Jr., I guess?) is pretty good.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Seventh Arrow posted:

Wow, that 2011 video is pretty drat bad. Not jut the slowdown and the lack of energy but it's pretty sloppy and the vocals and harmonies are hit-and-miss at best. Steve Howe is still fun to watch, though...he looks like The Mad Scientist Of Prog. The keyboardist (Wakeman Jr., I guess?) is pretty good.

It was their worst tour yet, I think. Hopefully, it was a wake-up call for them and they've been practicing more and will be able pull it together for that 3 album tour, but I'm not holding my breath. Still, from the sounds of it, Jon Davison sounds much better than Benoit David, and overall they sounded much better in 2012 than they did in 2011. But they haven't attempted CTTE since 2011, and I'd rather they not attempt it at all if they can't pull it off.

Benoit David is a good singer, but he didn't have the stamina to sing like Jon Anderson for a sustained tour. Anderson's voice has deteriorated with age too, but his voice is better trained and better suited for this type of music (especially since he wrote most of the vocal parts). He also has a charisma that these younger imitators don't have. Oliver Wakeman is great, it's obvious he has some of his father's talents, but he doesn't have the charisma either.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 28, 2012

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

As a huge Yes fan, I like to pretend they broke up after the 2004 tour.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Iucounu posted:

As a huge Yes fan, I like to pretend they broke up after the 2004 tour.

This thread has gotten me listening to a lot of their 2012 youtube videos. A lot of it is quite good, some of it great even, definitely much better than their 2011 stuff. I might just check them out next year after all.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 28, 2012

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

I'm kind of funny with the oldies. I think a lot of these bands had their heyday and seeing them now is just depressing. Even if they can still play their music it still isn't the same.

I think King Crimson is an exception because they've changed so much, it's like seeing a new band each time.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Mithra6 posted:

I'm kind of funny with the oldies. I think a lot of these bands had their heyday and seeing them now is just depressing. Even if they can still play their music it still isn't the same.

I think King Crimson is an exception because they've changed so much, it's like seeing a new band each time.

I don't mind a bit of nostalgia, as long as they can still put on a great show. At least Yes is still trying to do this. They had a new album out last year that wasn't half bad and they've been playing a significant chunk of it in their shows. King Crimson hasn't had an album in almost 10 years, and I doubt there will be another since Fripp announced his retirement. But yes, I agree, King Crimson was more consistent with the quality of their output and never had nearly as bad a year as Yes did in 2011.

iamathousandapples
Jul 12, 2012

Gianthogweed posted:

I don't mind a bit of nostalgia, as long as they can still put on a great show. At least Yes is still trying to do this. They had a new album out last year that wasn't half bad and they've been playing a significant chunk of it in their shows. King Crimson hasn't had an album in almost 10 years, and I doubt there will be another since Fripp announced his retirement. But yes, I agree, King Crimson was more consistent with the quality of their output and never had nearly as bad a year as Yes did in 2011.

Actually, they released an album last year.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

I wasn't aware of this. Although, from the look of it, I'm not sure Fripp was ready to call this a King Crimson album proper, but one of the projeKcts, which can be thought of as KC albums if one chooses to. How is it?

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 28, 2012

iamathousandapples
Jul 12, 2012

Gianthogweed posted:

I wasn't aware of this. Although, from the look of it, I'm not sure Fripp was ready to call this a King Crimson album proper, but one of the projeKcts, which can be thought of as KC albums if one chooses to. How is it?

Reminds me of the better part of Islands. I still haven't listened to a lot of King Crimson's late work so I wasn't really sure what I was getting into. It's a pretty good album, but from what I've heard about Power To Believe I'm led to think that this is far from that.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

iamathousandapples posted:

Reminds me of the better part of Islands. I still haven't listened to a lot of King Crimson's late work so I wasn't really sure what I was getting into. It's a pretty good album, but from what I've heard about Power To Believe I'm led to think that this is far from that.

Listening to the title track on youtube. It's pleasant sounding, but so far not very interesting. I wouldn't compare it to Islands though. There was kind of an acid trippy weird undercurrent throughout that album. In fact, all of their albums had a deeply unsettling undercurrent running through them. This song doesn't have that, but I'll have to hear the rest of the album to judge it correctly.

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Scarcity of Miracles is a weird album to me. I feel like if I sit there and analyze each piece everything is pretty great. The singing is good. The guitar playing is pretty fantastic. The sax stuff is good. Drumming is fine. The song writing, even, isn't too shabby. It should be a good album. But, I find that it all doesn't come together for me somehow. It's like the combination of those pieces is less as a whole. I can't really explain it.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

RDreamer posted:

It's like the combination of those pieces is less as a whole.

This is honestly how I've felt about King Crimson since the end of the double-trio. It seems like, with few exceptions, their chemistry just evaporated. Fripp released what is in many ways his best solo work with The Gates of Paradise in 1998, and the Power Trio shows Adrian Belew as strong and imaginative as ever, but smush them together in King Crimson and you get uninspired crap like Facts of Life, Happy With What You Have to be Happy With, and 3/4 of The ConstruKction of Light.

I actually haven't listened to A Scarcity of Miracles yet, but the samples I've heard sound like elevator jazz, and I've just been putting it off.

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Rollersnake posted:

This is honestly how I've felt about King Crimson since the end of the double-trio. It seems like, with few exceptions, their chemistry just evaporated. Fripp released what is in many ways his best solo work with The Gates of Paradise in 1998, and the Power Trio shows Adrian Belew as strong and imaginative as ever, but smush them together in King Crimson and you get uninspired crap like Facts of Life, Happy With What You Have to be Happy With, and 3/4 of The ConstruKction of Light.

My problem with some of the things you've mentioned is Adrian Belew. I think the overall writing on The Power to Believe and most of TCOL is pretty good, but sometimes Belew just annoys me. He has ever since Discipline. His goofy lyrics and goofy delivery just gets to me at times.

That said, I think I'd still rather listen to Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair than Scarcity of Miracles.

Rollersnake posted:

I actually haven't listened to A Scarcity of Miracles yet, but the samples I've heard sound like elevator jazz, and I've just been putting it off.

That's definitely the surface impression it gives, and I think its big problem is that it can never really seem to shake that, at least in my own mind. If you do get a chance to listen to it, concentrate on the guitar work. Fripp does some great stuff in there.

On the subject of KC, anyone know when the rest of the 5.1 remasters are coming out? I'm pretty excited to keep going on my collection, and I'm interested to hear Beat and ToaPP. And even though I started collecting because SW was redoing them, and didn't originally intend to buy any remastering of Thrak, I think I'll continue the collection through whoever (I think Jakko?) does the rest of 'em.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

sound like elevator jazz

That's pretty much exactly what it is. I listened to it twice after buying it, and was so bored with it that I just donated it to my local library. I was really disappointed that the union of such great musicians produced something so piddly.

I can agree with some of the griping about Adrian. My biggest gripe with him, though, is that he won't play any pre-discipline stuff if it isn't instrumental, because he didn't originally sing on it. KC could be doing so much more, but Adrian is just road block. Get rid of him, let him focus on his power trio, and replace him with someone who will let them dive deep into the back catalog!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Prog Doctor posted:

KC could be doing so much more, but Adrian is just road block. Get rid of him, let him focus on his power trio, and replace him with someone who will let them dive deep into the back catalog!

Except it's never sounded like Fripp has wanted to play anything from back then, either, and even if KC is "a way of doing things" and not a band, there's not going to be anything coming out that says KC and not Projekct without him.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

That's more of a Fripp thing I think. Notice in their last major tour, they didn't play much from THRAK either.

I think Fripp doesn't want to play things that were written by different musicians, or (in the case of THRAK) where half the band is missing. KC also didn't play much from their first four albums during the Wetton period except for the few case of 21st Century Schizoid Man.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Mithra6 posted:

That's more of a Fripp thing I think. Notice in their last major tour, they didn't play much from THRAK either.

I think Fripp doesn't want to play things that were written by different musicians, or (in the case of THRAK) where half the band is missing. KC also didn't play much from their first four albums during the Wetton period except for the few case of 21st Century Schizoid Man.

They also did Cat Food with Wetton, though I have no idea if that was a one-time thing or not. I'm pretty sure the only time they ever played that live was with Wetton.

I too found Belew's lyrics/vocals grating at first, but aside from the most egregious examples, I find his corniness charming more often than not. There is nothing in his solo career as bad as some of the material on The ConstruKction of Light, which I feel points to a problem with the band as a whole rather than any one member. King Crimson was holding King Crimson back, and it's just as well that it ceased to exist before those involved embarrassed themselves further.

(That's not to say I hate later Crimson—I just think the last two albums were extremely inconsistent, broke very little new ground, and generally didn't live up to the promise of the ProjeKcts.)

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 31, 2012

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

What's so bad about The ConstruKction of Light? I just listened to it again today, and I enjoyed it. The one song that stuck out was ProzaKc Blues, but most Belew albums have weird songs that stick out as kind of irksome (Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With and Facts of Life for instance).

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Allen Wren posted:

Except it's never sounded like Fripp has wanted to play anything from back then, either, and even if KC is "a way of doing things" and not a band, there's not going to be anything coming out that says KC and not Projekct without him.

Of course there won't be any KC without Fripp. The reason I said that it was Adrian keeping them from playing older songs was a saw a Fripp interview last year wherein Fripp explicitly stated he'd like to bust out the older material (if I remember correctly, he explicitly mentioned "something like Lizard"), but the present band was preventing that from happening...

But I can't seem to find it. I think a link to it was on the DGM website, but I don't much feel like weeding through all the posts for the last 22 months to try and find it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hence the most recent Projekct. That makes sense.

Of course it's all moot since Fripp has said he's done with music, but whatevs.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

RDreamer posted:

What's so bad about The ConstruKction of Light? I just listened to it again today, and I enjoyed it. The one song that stuck out was ProzaKc Blues, but most Belew albums have weird songs that stick out as kind of irksome (Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With and Facts of Life for instance).

ProzaKc Blues is almost a good track, I think, but the pitch-shifting was totally unnecessary, and the lyrics reek of a Fear of a Blank Planet sort of old fogeyness.

The title track feels kinda sloppy and "undercooked" compared to the different arrangement they started playing on the Level Five tour.

The World's My Oyster Soup Kitchen Floor Wax Museum is an undoubtedly fun wordplay exercise that makes for a poo poo song. Actually includes the phrase "gettin' jiggy with it." And even aside from the lyrics, it's just a really monotonous, overlong jam.

Larks' Tongues in Aspic part IV is mostly a dull retread of older King Crimson themes, the one interesting part is also in FraKctured and works better there, and the coda features some of the most cringingly overwrought lyrics Adrian Belew ever penned.

Heaven and Earth is really the only track I genuinely love with no reservations, and it's a bonus track. What the gently caress was up with their priorities?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 49 minutes!

Allen Wren posted:

Hence the most recent Projekct. That makes sense.

Of course it's all moot since Fripp has said he's done with music, but whatevs.

Having talked to Pat, Tony and Ade at length about KC in the last 2 summers, the answer has been 'Robert'. Fripp has indicated he's hung up the guitar to focus on the legal aspects of recovering money from their old labels. At least that's what the other 3 members say publicly.

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

ProzaKc Blues is almost a good track, I think, but the pitch-shifting was totally unnecessary, and the lyrics reek of a Fear of a Blank Planet sort of old fogeyness.

The title track feels kinda sloppy and "undercooked" compared to the different arrangement they started playing on the Level Five tour.

The World's My Oyster Soup Kitchen Floor Wax Museum is an undoubtedly fun wordplay exercise that makes for a poo poo song. Actually includes the phrase "gettin' jiggy with it." And even aside from the lyrics, it's just a really monotonous, overlong jam.

Larks' Tongues in Aspic part IV is mostly a dull retread of older King Crimson themes, the one interesting part is also in FraKctured and works better there, and the coda features some of the most cringingly overwrought lyrics Adrian Belew ever penned.

Heaven and Earth is really the only track I genuinely love with no reservations, and it's a bonus track. What the gently caress was up with their priorities?

Ah, yeah, it's certainly not an album I'd give a ton of awards to in comparison to other KC works, but I do still enjoy it. I also still think it sucks that it likely won't be getting the complete remaster and re-release treatment all the other ones are (It'll be out of place in my collection...)

Rust Martialis posted:

Having talked to Pat, Tony and Ade at length about KC in the last 2 summers, the answer has been 'Robert'. Fripp has indicated he's hung up the guitar to focus on the legal aspects of recovering money from their old labels. At least that's what the other 3 members say publicly.

That's kind of sad that a guy who emphasizes music for music's sake would have to spend the rest of his days recovering money. Also kind of sad that his last album would be Scarcity. I guess at least KC went out decently and The Power to Believe was good.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
Rick Wakeman approached Fripp recently and told him that if Fripp reformed King Crimson, and announced they would perform "In The Court of the Crimson King" in its entirety, it would sell out the O2, and that Wakeman would be the first in line (queue) for tickets.

Fripp stated he simply wasn't interested. He's never been interested in the past. I'm one of the few that actually loved Scarcity of Miracles, and was sad that the tour of Spain with that lineup didn't happen. You KNOW they would've played more than just that album. And with Jakko from the 21st Century Schizoid Band, Mel Collins, Tony Levin, and Gavin Harrison, it would still kick rear end no matter what they played.

Belew has been with Crimson longer than I would've liked. He was perfect for the 80's, and I was fortunate to have seen the double trio back in 1995. It was my second time seeing Bruford after the Yes Union tour, and had no desire to see Yes without him.

I know Fripp doesn't want to be anything like the current Yes. After watching the Classic Artists dvd interviews, the old lighting man for Yes, Michael Tait, didn't even think the idea of their 2003 arena tour with the Roger Dean setup was a good idea. But with the current lineup he must be in tears.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Steven Wilson HQ.com posted:

The [2013 tour] will incorporate several new visual elements / films, and the new album will be performed in its entirety. In addition an early Porcupine Tree song will be included in the setlist, dating from the years when PT was still Steven’s solo project.

On that subject, a remastered CD reissue of the very earliest music Steven recorded under the name Porcupine Tree “Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape” is in preparation. This music was originally issued on cassette tapes and mostly dating from the late 80′s. This will only be available via mail order – more news on this soon.

SO keen to hear Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape is being reissued. There are some real gems on that release and it's WAY too expensive to justify buying at present (especially with all the bootleg versions around). Still disappointed that he isn't coming to Australia again, but this eases the blow a bit.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So I've been going through the recommendations given me in this thread and I've picked up "Stained Glass Stories" by Cathedral - what a great album! I'm really digging it so far, I like the aggressiveness of the rhythm section. Being a bass player myself, I always like hearing cool bass guitar sounds and this guy has a nice just-overdriven-enough tone, sounds like it could be a Rickenbacker. I did a bit of digging and apparently they only recorded that one album. Well, until recently that is - seems like they eventually got back together and did at least one more album and have a Myspace page going. It's difficult to look for stuff on them though, because there's apparently a metal band named "Cathedral" as well.

Also, apparently Chris Squire and Steve Hackett have formed a band. They've decided to call themselves..."Squackett" :psyduck: Only in prog, ladies and gentlemen. Anyways, I picked up their album, "A Life In A Day" and it's not too bad. It's a bit bland in places but overall the songwriting seems fairly solid. Anyone else give it a listen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

david puddy posted:

SO keen to hear Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape is being reissued. There are some real gems on that release and it's WAY too expensive to justify buying at present (especially with all the bootleg versions around). Still disappointed that he isn't coming to Australia again, but this eases the blow a bit.

Yeah, I'm happy about the YHD reissue, too. I really liked the stuff on there. I've got it on vinyl, but never managed to get it on CD. As you said, the bootlegs make it even tougher to buy. Also curious to see which track they play live.