Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

:stare:
Also: Belt count, zero? Closest thing I see are each pauldron being held on by 1 strap.

There's a few near her waist, holding her skirt thing, and a few more on her boots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mega64 posted:

Are Onion Knight and Warrior of Light big characters in Dissidia or something? I really need to play that game someday.

Kinda, for the Warrior of Light, not so much for the Onion Knight. The plot for Dissidia is confusing as gently caress, but he plays a major part in it. Well, the backstory anyway. But the story kinda sucks, outside of a few funny scenes, and wonderfully hammy VA.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Baalfrog posted:

Unlike Tidus, Auron has character, he has a proper goal in the game and during the game he is a center of a major plot twist. He is the best thing in the game drat it. What is wrong with people who think Tidus is better than him :/?

Tidus has all three of those things, though??? I mean if you don't like his character, fine whatever, but 'old grizzled samurai' isn't that much more of a character than 'fish-out-of-water goofball'.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, Tidus is one of the few character in X who goes through an actual character arc and develops, I think only Wakka's got as much development as him, but they're both huge goofs and one is pants on-head stupid while the other's a racist, if they didn't develop they'd be the worst characters. That's not to say Auron's bad, though.

Although we all know the best character in FFX is Jecht. :colbert:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
I notice :human being: is actually missing from that list. They obviously can't handle that much :human being: over in Japan.

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?
I still utterly love Kuja's character, gutted he didn't place higher. He was a great villain because his back-story was developed well in my opinion.

Although, I did also enjoy Ultimecia for being her own undoing. But she isn't viable for this list.

That said, surely by their nature, FFIX genomes are genderless?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
Do Moogles have sex organs? If so, where the gently caress is Mog?

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Tidus outranks Auron.
Vaan outranks Basch.
Japan, that's why we can't have good things.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

gredgie posted:

That said, surely by their nature, FFIX genomes are genderless?

They're androgynous, but not sexless.

Zidane: "Say what? Okay, whatever...But hey, you have both men and women, right?"
Genome: "Asexual beings would lack the genetic diversity to adapt to new environments."

[e]: Seifer would undeniably prove that he totally owned those lamers. Chicken-wusses.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 19, 2012

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Aureon posted:

Tidus outranks Auron.
Vaan outranks Basch.
Japan, that's why we can't have good things.

Balthier also outranks Vaan though, which was very surprising to me.

Mega64 posted:

Cids being so low make sense, considering there's three awesome ones (4, 7, 9) and a bunch of mediocre-to-crappy ones.

FFXII Cid? He was one of the best villains in the series in my opinion.

Now I think more about it, I am sad that Seifer did not make the list at all. What the gently caress. He and Laguna were the most redeeming qualities about VIII.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I am pleased to see that Galuf placed.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Replaying FF8 has given me a new perspective. I mean, I still dislike the majority of the cast and setting but I've grown to really like one character this run: Seifer.

He's arrogant and brash and cocky and, sure, he might not always have the right answer in the end but he believes he's doing what he needs to. They might be dangerous and/or stupid, but he takes the stand that he thinks are right (The whole 'lets kidnap the president on live television' ordeal is a great example). This gets him into a lot of trouble, but hey, at least he's honest with how he feels. If this was any other game, I'd expect Seifer to be the main character. Hell, even the main love interest of this one started off as a close acquaintance of his.

In comparison I've gone from being annoyed by Squall to just kind of finding him pitiable. Half his dialogue boxes are internal thoughts of things he should be saying followed by "....whatever". I mean I think that's kind of the point to his character but, I'm still not cheering for him to develop and change. He's just kind of a person who is there and complicates things for no reason other than he's a broken person.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zack is pretty legitimately a good character. He's likable and fun to follow and manages to avoid getting bogged down in angst despite having every good reason to.

Also the ending of Crisis Core is easily the best thing Square-Enix has done in at least 10 years.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So that reminds me- why is Cloud so dismissive and rude when "channeling" Zack? I guess it was mostly right at the beginning, but he was all "I don't care about your names. Once I get this job done I'm outta here." It's not like Zack was originally intended to be arrogant and was retconned in Crisis Core- the flashback in FF7 shows him acting pretty much like he acted in CC.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Maybe he was trying to be aloof and mysterious and all teenager-cool and screwing it up by going too far? It's been a while since I re-played VII but it seems like the kind of thing the old Cloud would have done.

Edit: Alternately he was just trying to hide how hosed-up he was. Pretty much the first thing he does in the game is have auditory hallucinations, I know I wouldn't have been too comfortable with a newly-hired mercenary who did that. :v:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Schwartzcough posted:

So that reminds me- why is Cloud so dismissive and rude when "channeling" Zack? I guess it was mostly right at the beginning, but he was all "I don't care about your names. Once I get this job done I'm outta here." It's not like Zack was originally intended to be arrogant and was retconned in Crisis Core- the flashback in FF7 shows him acting pretty much like he acted in CC.

I think it was mostly Cloud projecting his own idea of how a bad-rear end solider 1st class should act. Zack was really confident and self-assured - Cloud simply added the act-like-an-rear end in a top hat part because of his own immaturity. See - his reasons for joining the army in the first place. I loved how they presented Cloud in CC as well. He's not as brooding as in his other iterations - he cracks jokes, smiles occasionally, and almost acts like a awkward and unsure teenager.

VVV Yeah, what I meant was all the games he's been in outside of FF7, and the movie.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 19, 2012

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Cloud was never brooding, until KH that is. This is a dude that was playing SOLDIER on his mind so hard he fooled himself into thinking he was the main character.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cloud wasn't really copying Zack apart from the 1st Class SOLDIER thing. He apparently reminded Aerith of Zack but I can think of nothing "Zack-like" he did while in her presence.

Cloud for the first disc-and-a-half was just a mind shoddily glued together with bits from his own past, bits from Zack, and then stuff he made up.

And I think the flashbacks of Cloud with Tifa show quite plainly he's always been awkward and kinda dopey.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

NikkolasKing posted:

And I think the flashbacks of Cloud with Tifa show quite plainly he's always been awkward and kinda dopey.

Yes, and the fact that CC actually acknowledged this is one of several reasons it's superior to the rest of the FF7 spin-off products. It's the only one that manages to capture the feel of the original. I wasn't even bothered by the Gackt stuff, since it meant I got to beat the crap out of Gackt hundreds of times!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Some of that is translation. The translation makes Cloud come across a bit more blunt and harsh than he normally is. The other part is that Zack isn't the only person Cloud is copying. He's also copying Sephiroth who acted exactly like that. Cloud is trying to act what he thinks a Soldier 1st Class is based on his own view of them. (Zack + Sephiroth.)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

gredgie posted:

I still utterly love Kuja's character, gutted he didn't place higher.

Just wait till the female list comes out :v:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Bartz ranks 6th. You're alright, Japan.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm actually really curious about if anyone has predictions for the female list.

I was thinking the Top 3 would most certainly be Aerith, Tifa and Lightning but then I remembered Yuna. Tidus scored pretty high on the guys list and while it's based on absolutely nothing, I would say Yuna would maybe even eclipse him in popularity.

I would bet my life on the Top 5 being some combination of Light, Tifa, Aerith, Rinoa and Yuna but I really hope Yuna comes in at 1 or 2.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm actually really curious about if anyone has predictions for the female list.

I was thinking the Top 3 would most certainly be Aerith, Tifa and Lightning but then I remembered Yuna. Tidus scored pretty high on the guys list and while it's based on absolutely nothing, I would say Yuna would maybe even eclipse him in popularity.

I would bet my life on the Top 5 being some combination of Light, Tifa, Aerith, Rinoa and Yuna but I really hope Yuna comes in at 1 or 2.

I'll be surprised if Tina/Terra, Faris, and/or Lenna don't somehow wind up in the top 10.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

W.T. Fits posted:

I'll be surprised if Tina/Terra, Faris, and/or Lenna don't somehow wind up in the top 10.

I'd guess that one of Celes or Terra makes the top 5.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Does Japan even like Rinoa? I was under the impression that nobody actually cared about VIII's love story.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Seeing V rank so high makes me wonder why IV gets all the attention.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Spermando posted:

In America, I'd say that it's because IV and VI are more nostalgic to American audiences because they came out earlier here. Plus personally I have beaten FFV three times and I literally have no recollection of Bartz's personality at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The top 3 on a female list are almost certainly going to be Lightning, Yuna and Tifa. Anything beyond that is a crapshoot.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

Dross posted:

In America, I'd say that it's because IV and VI are more nostalgic to American audiences because they came out earlier here. Plus personally I have beaten FFV three times and I literally have no recollection of Bartz's personality at all.

Bartz is kind of an idiot. And he likes adventure(?). That's pretty much it.

Although, he is responsible for the one of few interesting moments in FF5- when Exdeath seals away a few towns and Bartz snaps and flies the ship around the Earth in anger.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
Crossdressing Cloud is the best female FF character :colbert:

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Terra's Theme may boost her score, though.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Spermando posted:

That's nice but WHERE'S GILGAMESH. :mad:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Oh hey, actual screenshots.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The GIG posted:

Good thing that's The 3rd Birthday, which I'm pretty sure is just some AU fanfic Square swiped off the net and made a game.

Like they did with TAY?

TAY wasn't actually a fanfic, it was worse.

NikkolasKing posted:

Because everyone loves lists...

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/...y_Japanese_fans

I think list bashing is dull and it's not even necessary here in my view. I mean, I don't like Zack but Zidane is 3 and both Kuja and Balthier made it higher than I would have expected. I didn't even expect Kujja to be on the list. I think it's a nice list overall.

No, I'll save my indignation for the female list. I dunno what order they'll be in but I predict Tifa, Aerith and Lightning will be the Top 3. Rinoa will also probably be Top 5.

Generic 'Warrior of Light' is listed but Kefka isn't, nor is Gilgamesh? That might be worse than the fact that Firion is on there.

Dross posted:

FF4's big thing in the US is that it was the first major RPG on the SNES, and was something that NES gamers would recognize. I still have the Nintendo Power where the poster inside was a list of early/launch SNES games with a screenshot of each. FF4 is on there with a battle shot and the team includes both Kid Rydia and Kain.

I can't even remember what the next major RPG was that came out here for the SNES after that. Enix eventually put out games like 7th Saga but not DQ5 or 6 despite 6 having been advertised (in NP) but never made it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That loving Sned posted:

It's been translated :v:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Thirteen real-time hours of outfit maintenance and paint observation.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Looking forward to the Selphie cameo.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

That loving Sned posted:

Those settings are surprisingly normal-looking. I like 'em. They remind me of Final Fantasy VI and Assassin's Creed).

Of course, the characters are going to look like Organization XIII members and that is going to bite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scher
Sep 15, 2011

~Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom~
So hey, check it out! There's a trailer for Lightning Returns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3F6MSlCCPg&feature=youtu.be

It does not cease to amaze me in how terrible that outfit continues to be. A lot of the running around town reminds me of Assassin's Creed, what with the hopping all over stuff that is going on. Also, combat looks nice, I guess? I heard that the combat is supposed to be more action oriented, but I can't really tell how different that looks from XIII and XII-2, considering I didn't really play much of either.