Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser

Flameingblack posted:

DC thought it was too stupid and made him re-name the character because out of all these bad reimaginings in the reboot, this was by far the worst.

That's hilarious. Was that revealed in an interview or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

horsepeen posted:

That's hilarious. Was that revealed in an interview or something?
For a little while he was hyping him as Bizarro but eventually admitted that DC didn't like the idea of that character being Bizarro so its name was changed to H'El.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
New trailer for the movie is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVu3gS7iJu4

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I loving love it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, a lot of people seem to be really down on the whole movie because of Snyder and the suit, but that trailer looked pretty nice to me

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo, are we actually, FINALLY going to get another good Superman movie? Is this really happening?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Space_Butler posted:

Holy poo poo, are we actually, FINALLY going to get another good Superman movie? Is this really happening?

They cast Michael Shannon in it, so it's safe to say yes.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It looks like there's going to be a lot fitted into the movie, so it also depends on the pacing and priority each part is given.

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole melodramatic origin story stuff, but maybe it ties into his Kryptonian origins and the villain(s)/threat in the movie.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 11, 2012

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I'm excited just for teenage superman saving a bus full of kids from a tornado. It's basically exactly the kind of thing I want to see Superman doing. I mean, besides take a punch occasionally and fly around.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
When Superman prepared to take off, the hairs on my arms stood up.

If I have to take the day off for this, I will.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I'm excited just for teenage superman saving a bus full of kids from a tornado. It's basically exactly the kind of thing I want to see Superman doing. I mean, besides take a punch occasionally and fly around.

The bus saving and the tornado are actually two separate sequences. The tornado sequence has Supes lifting a big-rear end truck with a crying man inside it out of the tornado with one hand.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Magic Love Hose posted:

When Superman prepared to take off, the hairs on my arms stood up.

Oh man, that is surreal, I had the exact same reaction. Frisson buddies :hfive:

This is looking pretty drat good. I can tolerate a little moodiness and introspection if we get epic poo poo like that as a payoff.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I just hope Snyder takes it easy with the slow-motion. It was great when they used it in the bridge-to-highway scene, but that was a long time ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DC and Didio should take note that Nolan and Snyder are indeed using Lois Lane as the love interest. Because it's kind of important to the character of Superman.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Rhyno posted:

DC and Didio should take note that Nolan and Snyder are indeed using Lois Lane as the love interest. Because it's kind of important to the character of Superman.
It's always been a little more essential for things like Lois and his job at a mundane job that all sorts of people have to keep him grounded as "Human after all" and not having a relationship with the daughter of God and living life in the Arctic or in Batman's space tower being a Supergod. It's okay for Batman to live his life in a cave and fake social interactions with people because that's the kind of man he's always really been.

Just my two cents.

The trailer looks great, like it's been inspired by the earlier days of Smallville which I'm more than alright with.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Flameingblack posted:

It's always been a little more essential for things like Lois and his job at a mundane job that all sorts of people have to keep him grounded as "Human after all" and not having a relationship with the daughter of God and living life in the Arctic or in Batman's space tower being a Supergod.

I guess we can always hope that in a few years we'll get the story where Superman realizes his mistake and draws this back.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Revol posted:

I guess we can always hope that in a few years we'll get the story where Superman realizes his mistake and draws this back.

At least they could use it as a learning experience for this version of the character. Clark leaving the Planet combined with Superman shacking up with Wonder Woman could have the effect of distancing him from his human identity, which at first doesn't seem too bad because he can be Superman nearly full-time and deal with disasters and supervillains 24/7, while having a girlfriend that can kick as much rear end as he can and he can share all his secrets and experiences with, seems like a pretty solid deal! But it slowly starts eating away at him, being on the job around the clock and coming home to a partner who is literally in the company of gods on a daily basis; Superman's powers may make him like a god, too, but his mind and soul are as human as you are I. He doesn't need to sleep, but he does need rest. He comes to realize that Clark isn't a choice but a necessity, a fundamental side of himself that needs to exist just as much as Superman does. And Clark doesn't just needs a job where he can make a difference on his own, but he needs friends and loved ones of his own, too... just like he had at the Daily Planet.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bigass digital Superman sale.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
I love that Superman "begins" at least 4 different times.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
You could just pluck any mention or appearance of H'el out of this week's Supergirl and the story would be exactly the same. Such a waste of space.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Kull the Conqueror posted:

You could just pluck any mention or appearance of H'el out of this week's Supergirl and the story would be exactly the same. Such a waste of space.
I can almost feel the frustration of writing a great story that has a beginning, middle, and end. Then all of a sudden being forced to write around Scott Lobdell's awful fanfiction nonsense.

Supergirl is in love with H'El. Good grief.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Lobdell writing Superboy out of character in Superman 15 really speaks volumes about his ineptitude as a writer, considering he was the one who rebooted the character in the first place. Christ.

The only remotely enjoyable part was Luthor monologuing if only because it was written well enough in Clancy Brown's cadence for me to read it in his voice. Beyond that, when you take a step back and look at what happened in this issue, it was almost completely meaningless in every regard.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Space_Butler posted:

Lobdell writing Superboy out of character in Superman 15 really speaks volumes about his ineptitude as a writer, considering he was the one who rebooted the character in the first place. Christ.

The only remotely enjoyable part was Luthor monologuing if only because it was written well enough in Clancy Brown's cadence for me to read it in his voice. Beyond that, when you take a step back and look at what happened in this issue, it was almost completely meaningless in every regard.

How's Superboy acting out of character? :confused:

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

How's Superboy acting out of character? :confused:
The way he interacted/talked with pretty much everyone isn't even close to how he's been previously portrayed. The biggest example being when he went wide-eyed and asked goofy, aloof questions to the Justice League. It was like something that Bunker would do, not him. I dunno, maybe if next issue Lobdell has Superboy say "hey, your regeneration suit altered me completely to stop being robotic and lovely to people!" it'll make sense, but right now it was a total curveball.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Space_Butler posted:

The way he interacted/talked with pretty much everyone isn't even close to how he's been previously portrayed. The biggest example being when he went wide-eyed and asked goofy, aloof questions to the Justice League. It was like something that Bunker would do, not him. I dunno, maybe if next issue Lobdell has Superboy say "hey, your regeneration suit altered me completely to stop being robotic and lovely to people!" it'll make sense, but right now it was a total curveball.

Well he's been mellowing a lot lately, specially since he started hanged around with Bunker plus, I felt that he was acting toward Superman like a sort of big brother this made me feel him more like a teenager.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

When did Luthor get scarred up and arrested?

edit: Is this his first current day appearance?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 3, 2013

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think it is.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Teenage Fansub posted:

Unless I missed something, yea.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser
Preview for Action 16 is up if anyone is interested:

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2013/01/04/action-comics-16-preview/

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

horsepeen posted:

Preview for Action 16 is up if anyone is interested:

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2013/01/04/action-comics-16-preview/
That looks completely, balls-out insane in the best of ways.

Edit: I'm really glad that Grant is going to have been the one to address Superman's death/resurrection in the New 52. I was worried it was going to be some vague continuity detail never really addressed (or addressed by some hackneyed writer later on), but the more things Morrison locks down before he leaves, the better.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 5, 2013

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Lois remembers Doomsday? Hmmmmmm.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

I think Superdoom might BE Doomsday. Doomsday can also be an event.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Given that 'in the old days' Doomsday was created on ancient Krypton(Don't ask) you may be more on the money than you think.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It's not exactly a long story, a bored kryptonian scientist kept killing and cloning Doomsday to force it's evolution, eventually it starts adapting to whatever he throws at it, the scientist gets bored again and shoots Doomsday into space.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

SirDan3k posted:

It's not exactly a long story, a bored kryptonian scientist kept killing and cloning Doomsday to force it's evolution eventually it starts adapting to what ever he throws at it, scientists get bored with Doomsday and shoots it into space.

Actually, it was Doomsday who got bored (and incredibly pissed off) with the scientists so he wrecked their poo poo and catched a ride on a Spaceship.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
I was REALLY disappointed when that preview ended. Just sayin'.

Also, I wish Brad Walker had done the entire run.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SirDan3k posted:

It's not exactly a long story, a bored kryptonian scientist kept killing and cloning Doomsday to force it's evolution, eventually it starts adapting to whatever he throws at it, the scientist gets bored again and shoots Doomsday into space.

Most Kryptonian villains can be summed up as 'fuckin scientists got bored'.

Don't know if it's been said here but Netflix Instant has been getting animated Superman movies over the past week or so, one I just now noticed was Superman vs the Elite, an animated movie of the What's so Funny About Truth Justice and the American Way story. Pretty drat well done.

Really wish they'd get the old animated show, that and Batman and the JLA would just destroy my free time if they got on Instant.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Action 16 was confounding and pretty much setup for 17, but I liked it all the same. I particularly enjoyed the shot of Lex's classic power suit in the background of his lab.

The Legion backup was pretty astounding, though. The retro feel of the coloring mixed with the clean art was pretty spectacular, and the story wasn't half-bad either (and I say that as someone who absolutely can't stand the Legion 99% of the time). Scholly Fisch really needs to be given his own book already. He's definitely proven over the course of doing the backups that he has a ton of talent.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Agreed, I look forward to Scholly Fisch getting his own book.

(...he is a dude, right? I have no idea. I guess Scholly would be a guy's name?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
He's a guy, and I think the reason you don't see him doing a full comic story is that he's busy doing a lot of work in other media too.

• Locked thread