Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

greatn posted:

Comcast really doesn't have a say, because TVii is aggregating publicly available listing information and controlling your actual tv and cable box through IR. It's more a question of if Nintendo supports comcast than vice versa.

Oh cool! Thats good news, I thought it would be a partnership thing. I hope theres a way to input your plan, because I dont want a bunch of stuff popping up thats not in my package.

Also I was hoping for a nice touchscreen way of managing my DVR, but I guess thats not going to happen without feedback from my box so its pretty much out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Boten Anna posted:

Oh my, what does this say, I can't read

edit:

I wonder if Dragon Quest X for the U is coming to NA at all, I've heard good things. Apparently the guy who is making the new, not-suck-is-actually-awesome version of Final Fantasy XIV was involved.

:bubblewoop: Its about drat time! I'm reaaaaallllyyyy glad this is happening before Christmas.

I'm also genuinely happy that Nintendo is making efforts to fix things people are complaining about.

E: nevermind this.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 19, 2012

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Xavier434 posted:

Okay...so which is it?

I was kinda talking out of my rear end. I meant cable-box hardware, mostly; TiVo boxes have support at-launch but other companies have to provide for interaction, IIRC. You know what, forget I said anything.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Xavier434 posted:

Okay...so which is it?

Mine. For non US markets though, TVii needs the support of STREAMING services however, since the markets are completely different. That's what they are busy lining up in Europe for next year.

Nintendo have hulu, amazon, netflix, and youtube currently in the us. There's a ton more they could add hopefully. Totally current market place in Europe though. They have lovefilm at this point, probably want to add european netflix, don't know what else.

Bombadilillo posted:

Oh cool! Thats good news, I thought it would be a partnership thing. I hope theres a way to input your plan, because I dont want a bunch of stuff popping up thats not in my package.

Also I was hoping for a nice touchscreen way of managing my DVR, but I guess thats not going to happen without feedback from my box so its pretty much out.

If they just added the "my dvr" button and the record and stop buttons you could handle the rest with the dpad and "a" button.

greatn fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 19, 2012

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

greatn posted:

Mine. For non US markets though, TVii needs the support of STREAMING services however, since the markets are completely different. That's what they are busy lining up in Europe for next year.

Nintendo have hulu, amazon, netflix, and youtube currently in the us. There's a ton more they could add hopefully. Totally current market place in Europe though. They have lovefilm at this point, probably want to add european netflix, don't know what else.

If they just added the "my dvr" button and the record and stop buttons you could handle the rest with the dpad and "a" button.

Im sure I can navigate it with the arrow buttons, buts thats just not much better then a regular remote. As in not better at all, if I am going to turn my WiiU on to use it as a remote it better have sweet features. I was hoping for more functionality.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The press release says that Netflix and TiVo functionality won't be immediately integrated... :negative:

I wonder if thats why the release was delayed. Netflix is a notable dumbass when it comes to running a business. No idea about TiVo though?

E: Also notable is Nintendo said the set up procedure involves defining Cable package and video on demand service. Wonder if that means VoD services other than TiVo will be supported immediately? Baseless speculation on my part that I really doubt.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 19, 2012

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bombadilillo posted:

Im sure I can navigate it with the arrow buttons, buts thats just not much better then a regular remote. As in not better at all, if I am going to turn my WiiU on to use it as a remote it better have sweet features. I was hoping for more functionality.

Actually, and this is with a motorola box and Charter cable, I've found changing channels and moving cursors to be surprisingly much more responsive on the gamepad than on the manufacturer's remote. Like, a huge difference you wouldn't expect.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
As someone with a home theater and using WMC for cable I feel this will be of 0 use to me :saddowns:

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
A note: wii mode does not support wpa2. You would have to change it to wpa or lower to use Internet in vwii mode.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

flyboi posted:

As someone with a home theater and using WMC for cable I feel this will be of 0 use to me :saddowns:

It's an alternative. If you like it you could put your wmc on another tv, or the WiiU on another tv.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

flyboi posted:

As someone who doesn't have cable or subscribe to streaming video services, I feel it's of even less use to me. Ah well, saves us some hard drive space!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I wonder if it has a better interface than Netflix.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

horriblePencilist posted:

Also, I like how Nintendo Land made #9. That means a poo poo ton of people either now have 2 copies of Nintendo Land or bought an inferior Wii U for the same price. (Shortage isn't a reason, they still have plenty of units left) I'm assuming it's because of unsuspecting soccer mom
It's probably because of system color, actually.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I wonder if it has a better interface than Netflix.

Probably, but apparently won't support Netflix til "early next year".

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Joramun posted:

It's probably because of system color, actually.

Or the plenty of people that couldn't get a deluxe at launch day.

Stuff3
Oct 9, 2012
Just gonna jump in here and say Nintendoland was surprisingly awesome.

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!

Stuff3 posted:

Just gonna jump in here and say Nintendoland was surprisingly awesome.

Agreed! I had some friends over a couple weeks ago for drinks and to try out the 5 player Wii U games. The majority of the time was spent howling with laughter playing Nintendo Land. We mostly played luigi's mansion, mario chase, and animal crossing, with some zelda and metroid thrown in.

NSMBU felt pretty boring and slow compared to Nintendo Land, especially for the 5th player using the tablet. Sonic Racing's 5 player gameplay was fun, but the drop in framerate and quality of graphics was lovely. We also made the mistake of trying to play a non-racing mode before any patch came out, which ended up with us falling from the sky into an endless pit... wish I got video.

We only logged about half an hour on NSMBU and Sonic, with the rest of night spent on Nintendo Land and SSBM.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
They could easily turn Metroid Blast into its own full scale game. There's so much depth to it.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I don't have cable, my hope is that I can use Amazon and Netflix at the same time, and mostly have an actually navigable version of Amazon.

Only in my wildest dreams could it connect to Sickbeard and stream from my computer :v:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

They could easily turn Metroid Blast into its own full scale game. There's so much depth to it.

Same could be said about the Pikmin game. I never played pikmin 2, but were pikmins picking up items a thing? If not Because it really really really should be. I want hammer pikmin in Pikmin 3 so bad.

Nintendo land definitely has more content than I expected.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope they start adding other free ad supported services, like Twitch, or Crackle.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

What is this. No, Reggie, you can't.

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I want hammer pikmin in Pikmin 3 so bad.

I think the Rock Pikmin are meant to fill the same role. Although maybe they're more like Punchseed Pikmin, who knows.

Either way it will be neat to see how some stuff is handled.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Great news! Youtube works again!
Not so great news! If you get an Ad in front of you selected vid you can't skip it AND you will never even see you vid! Even when the Ad is over!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Junkie Disease posted:

Great news! Youtube works again!
Not so great news! If you get an Ad in front of you selected vid you can't skip it AND you will never even see you vid! Even when the Ad is over!

So basically it only works 50% of the time.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Sounds like they're working on it though. That might be more of a glitch.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
My JP unit finally arrived a couple days ago.
I immediately applied Nintendo's official screen protector (comes with cleaning cloth and a light blue & white DSiXL pen stylus). It uses a new patented process with "handles" on the top layer for perfect positioning.
It went on easier than the beloved Hori with positioning tabs.
On the minus side, Hori's pushing a new screen protector that eliminates trapped air gradually. Nintendo's screen protector doesn't have this feature.
The protector's also a smidgeon smaller than the screen all around (but so does Hori's).

Right away, I was rewarded for applying the protector when my wife and eldest daughter smudged the pristine screen with their dirty fingers. Even with the protector on, I still had to stifle homicidal urges.

I can't use TVii because the system only allows me to choose my present location as to being within Japan.

I need to test the karaoke thing to see if it will work overseas.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I thought TVii was already out in Japan anyway.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Edit: I am a dumb. Ignore me.

So, how about them Nintendo Lands?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

The Lobster posted:

Edit: I am a dumb. Ignore me.

So, how about them Nintendo Lands?

Game Grumps has been doing videos of them playing the games.

It looks really great, especially with friends.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Same could be said about the Pikmin game. I never played pikmin 2, but were pikmins picking up items a thing? If not Because it really really really should be. I want hammer pikmin in Pikmin 3 so bad.

Definitely not in Pikmin or Pikmin 2. The most you could do were use bombs, and you couldn't even toss them.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

greatn posted:

I thought TVii was already out in Japan anyway.

He lives in Vancouver.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
So, while I still think I really like MiiVerse...

Nintendo prioritizes which comments they send to your main menu based on:

1. Number of "yeahs"
2. Number of comments

Which seems like it would work fine, except...

The most commented on posts are, without fail "HAI GUYS SHOULD I GET THIS GAME" or "IS THIS A GOOD GAME" or "SHOLD I GET BLOPS 2 OR AC3". So most of the posts I see on my front page are variants of "Is this a good game." There's no reason to show me something just because it has a lot of comments, Nintendo! Stick with Yeahs!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Game Grumps has been doing videos of them playing the games.

It looks really great, especially with friends.

I'll have to watch the multiplayer stuff at some point. I've played everything that can be played single player but I have no friends. My dad is not the video game type. I'm hoping I can get him to play with me for an hour on Christmas anyway. Any suggestions for someone who visibly fears video games and whose hand-eye coordination drops 200% when within 15 feet of a console?

theflyingorc posted:

So, while I still think I really like MiiVerse...

Nintendo prioritizes which comments they send to your main menu based on:

1. Number of "yeahs"
2. Number of comments

Which seems like it would work fine, except...

The most commented on posts are, without fail "HAI GUYS SHOULD I GET THIS GAME" or "IS THIS A GOOD GAME" or "SHOLD I GET BLOPS 2 OR AC3". So most of the posts I see on my front page are variants of "Is this a good game." There's no reason to show me something just because it has a lot of comments, Nintendo! Stick with Yeahs!

I see TONS of great art, though. And things like "I just beat such and such stage!" which is nice and cute. Actually I wish there was a way to easily track down some of the posters because I'd like to follow some of the artists and so far I've been unsuccessful in digging them up.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Dec 20, 2012

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

The Lobster posted:

I'll have to watch the multiplayer stuff at some point. I've played everything that can be played single player but I have no friends. My dad is not the video game type. I'm hoping I can get him to play with me for an hour on Christmas anyway. Any suggestions for someone who visibly fears video games and whose hand-eye coordination drops 200% when within 15 feet of a console?

Cardboard monopoly?
(Ok, a wii title: Fortune Street?)

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I don't actually have that one. I did buy Rhythm Heaven once when I posed this very same question.

I'm getting Scribblenauts for Christmas, is there maybe a helper mode for him, or even just he could suggest solutions? I'd be OK with that.

What is the easiest two-player mode for Nintendo Land. My guess is Mario Chase, it seems the easiest overall.

Sadly I posed the question of playing for an hour on Christmas and he said he'd have to think about it, which really bummed me out. I wish I could get an immediate yes just because spending time with his daughter doing something she loves has at least mild importance to him. I guess not. He's usually way better than that. :( We are best friends and he can't even take an hour on a family holiday to spend with his only family on her interactive hobby.

But this is just me being sad about stuff. Maybe he will actually come through in the end. If I could just get him to realize it's the one thing I really, truly want for Christmas. /shmoop

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I played Nintendo Land Zelda with my Mom. She got a lot of satisfaction out of hitting stuff with a sword. The first few levels are really easy, and dont require as much coordination as you'd think (until later levels where it becomes bullshit hard). Try that?

Also scribblenauts has a mode where the 2nd player takes control of whatever you make. It's a pretty goofy game so if he can think of funny answers to problems he'll probably have fun.

Whats the consensus on TVii from you early risers? I'm at work and couldn't check it out before hand.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Whats the consensus on TVii from you early risers? I'm at work and couldn't check it out before hand.

Doesn't seem to be up yet.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
TiVo still exists? I'm actually genuinely surprised by that bit of information because I can't even think of the last time I heard TiVo mentioned. I thought they would have gone tits up years ago, back when the cable and satellite companies started offering their own DVR boxes. You learn something new every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Almost Smart posted:

TiVo still exists? I'm actually genuinely surprised by that bit of information because I can't even think of the last time I heard TiVo mentioned. I thought they would have gone tits up years ago, back when the cable and satellite companies started offering their own DVR boxes. You learn something new every day.

People still pay a monthly fee for it PLUS buy the hardware. It's baffling. I will say in its favor it can take a cable card and act as a box, and it software and interface is miles, miles better than any current cable provider's box.

• Locked thread