Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

alg posted:

gently caress....still no shipping notification even :smith:

You should contact Deathwish, I got mine on the 29th. Something might be up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

After weeks of checking eBay and craigslist I finally scored a new turntable: a Pioneer PL-112D for $26 on eBay :cool:

Now, to email the guy and make sure he packages it properly...

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Parachute Underwear posted:

I got my shipping note last week. Sadly, it still hasn't updated from electronic shipping notification :/ goddamn media mail.

Also, you didn't have an option of color. From what I understand in rarity, the colorways were:

Clear (likely /100, friends and early orders of all 3 colors only)
Green
Blue
Red

with a yellow color from King's Road and the black 180g presses that were known in advance. I'm dying to get mine and give it a spin.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Vegastar posted:

I got my shipping note last week. Sadly, it still hasn't updated from electronic shipping notification :/ goddamn media mail.

Also, you didn't have an option of color. From what I understand in rarity, the colorways were:

Clear (likely /100, friends and early orders of all 3 colors only)
Green
Blue
Red

with a yellow color from King's Road and the black 180g presses that were known in advance. I'm dying to get mine and give it a spin.

Ah, okay. It was also the deluxe edition, FWIW. Might be that all LP versions are deluxe by default, though.

Also, I'm no audiophile but this pressing sounds absolutely fantastic. Not really surprising considering the production, but still.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Subscriptions for Joyful Noise's 2013 flexidisc series are now on sale.

Next year's lineup is:

Birthmark
Built To Spill & Helvetia
Here We Go Magic
Hella
Melvins
Mike Adams At His Honest Weight
Monotonix
Rob Crow
Son Lux
Sufjan Stevens & Cat Martino
The Sea And Cake
Why?

I sprung for the deluxe subscription with Mackie Osborne silkscreened wooden box.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Surfingelectrode posted:

Subscriptions for Joyful Noise's 2013 flexidisc series are now on sale.

Next year's lineup is:

Birthmark
Built To Spill & Helvetia
Here We Go Magic
Hella
Melvins
Mike Adams At His Honest Weight
Monotonix
Rob Crow
Son Lux
Sufjan Stevens & Cat Martino
The Sea And Cake
Why?

I sprung for the deluxe subscription with Mackie Osborne silkscreened wooden box.

According to a flyer I got with the November flexi, if you already subscribed in 2012 you are automatically signed up for 2013. The box is still extra though.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Picked up my first vinyls in anticipation of the turntable i'll get for Christmas. Not a bad lil first lot if I do say so myself.

Apparently the Acid House Kings one is limited to 500 copies but I was easily able to grab it off of Amazon. :v:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Abu Dave posted:

Picked up my first vinyls

:smithicide:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Records, my bad. :)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Parachute Underwear posted:

gently caress, they haven't even shipped it yet :smith:

They said I will get a notification when it ships.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/uturnaudio/the-orbit-turntable-0

$275 for the acrylic one kinda busts my budget. I don't know how I feel about MDF.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

It seems insincere to call a $175 MDF belt drive turntable attainably priced and high quality.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I have no idea if MDF is good for a turntable but I always thought of it as a cheap chipboard that's been soaked in and smells of formaldehyde.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

traveling midget posted:

$275 for the acrylic one kinda busts my budget. I don't know how I feel about MDF.

MDF isn't really a problem- ProJect, Music Hall, and Rega all make MDF tables that look sharp, sound good, and last.

My issue with this product is: Outside of costing substantially less, what does this offer that something like a $275 ProJect Essential doesn't already do in spades? And to be honest, at the sub-$500 price range there doesn't seem to be a whole lot that you can do to drop $50 here or $100 there before you're scraping the barrel of acceptable compromises.

Like the retro-themed Crosleys and plastic, USB-equipped Ion Audios, this would be best aimed at the gift or "thinking about dusting off some of the old LPs once in a while" markets. In those markets, arguments of $175 vs $275 vs $399 totally hold merit. But by virtue of being a Kickstarter and asking for donations from people who are more likely to be well-entrenched in the hobby than not, it's already positioned itself as an "enthusiast" piece of gear- which is a check it can't possibly cash.

A Debut Carbon that costs $400 shipped outclasses this Kickstarter table in every way except for maybe the tonearm swivel assembly (no idea how much this could possibly matter, but I'd bet money it hovers around "inconsequential") and the acrylic platter. The sort of person who regularly spends money on vinyl is either:

1) probably not going to be too concerned with that price difference

2) Savvy and/or committed enough to hunt down a vintage table on the used market

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for inexpensive products that work as well as their much costlier competition, but given all of the hurdles that this has to jump through- to say nothing of the months you'll be waiting- before you end up with a turntable on your doorstep, I doubt it's really worth it when- for roughly $100-200 more- you can get a table that does everything this one promises or more (with magazine and user reviews to back it) in 1-2 weeks from one of several reputable companies that have been making turntables for decades.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 17, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is it cool to talk about digitizing vinyl in this thread? I dug around a little bit and can't find a more suitable place.. there's the thread in IYG but that seems to be more about buying hardware.

Short version: I bought an album that was never released in digital format that I want to play in my car. I sweet talked a co-worker into loaning me his turntable (technics sl-d2) which worked great for 12 of 14 tracks. The problem tracks have what sounds like clipping. You can hear it in this sample:

http://xzzy.org/files/music/gone_fishin_sample.wav

I traced the problem as best I could.. swapped preamp, cables, and checked peak levels and the static isn't going away. At near as I can tell it's either a problem with the turntable, or the record itself. Every other track came out crystal clear. The vinyl doesn't appear to be damaged. As near as I can tell I'm the first person who's ever actually played it.. the disc is completely flat and there were zero pops when I played the album.

I don't have any other co-workers who own a turntable so I'm kind of at a loss what to try next. :shobon:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

xzzy posted:

Is it cool to talk about digitizing vinyl in this thread? I dug around a little bit and can't find a more suitable place.. there's the thread in IYG but that seems to be more about buying hardware.

Short version: I bought an album that was never released in digital format that I want to play in my car. I sweet talked a co-worker into loaning me his turntable (technics sl-d2) which worked great for 12 of 14 tracks. The problem tracks have what sounds like clipping. You can hear it in this sample:

http://xzzy.org/files/music/gone_fishin_sample.wav

I traced the problem as best I could.. swapped preamp, cables, and checked peak levels and the static isn't going away. At near as I can tell it's either a problem with the turntable, or the record itself. Every other track came out crystal clear. The vinyl doesn't appear to be damaged. As near as I can tell I'm the first person who's ever actually played it.. the disc is completely flat and there were zero pops when I played the album.

I don't have any other co-workers who own a turntable so I'm kind of at a loss what to try next. :shobon:

What software are you using to record the songs? Have you tried fiddling with the EQ settings there?

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Audacity is terrific for recording without spending any money, in my opinion.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

What software are you using to record the songs? Have you tried fiddling with the EQ settings there?

I've used Audacity, Garage Band, and the headphone output on a mixer (to isolate my computer as a source of the distortion). No dial twiddling (so far) has effected the audio I get off the turntable.

I hardly qualify as a sound engineer though so it's possible I'm turning all the wrong dials.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

When I've had issues like that, I had to turn down input on my line-in and in Audacity.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

traveling midget posted:

For as long as I can remember turntable manufacturers have been running with the mantra that less is more. But I'll never feel right about paying more for less.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

For as long as I can remember turntable manufacturers have been running with the mantra that less is more. But I'll never feel right about paying more for less.

Also, everything Electric Bugaloo said about it is spot on.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

except for maybe the tonearm swivel assembly (no idea how much this could possibly matter, but I'd bet money it hovers around "inconsequential") and the acrylic platter.

What difference does an acrylic platter make?

This guy at vinylnirvana.com sells an acrylic platter for some AR tables (I have an ES-1) for $189. The platter I have now is metal (and fairly heavy). He seems to sell some magic rock type stuff (lead platter mat for $80?), but I did buy a drive belt from him and it works fine.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Electric Bugaloo posted:

A Debut Carbon that costs $400 shipped outclasses this Kickstarter table in every way except for maybe the tonearm swivel assembly (no idea how much this could possibly matter, but I'd bet money it hovers around "inconsequential") and the acrylic platter.

Screw the bearing it doesn't even have a cueing arm. What's "anti-skate" mean? Do we need that? :rolleyes:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

eggsovereasy posted:

What difference does an acrylic platter make?

This guy at vinylnirvana.com sells an acrylic platter for some AR tables (I have an ES-1) for $189. The platter I have now is metal (and fairly heavy). He seems to sell some magic rock type stuff (lead platter mat for $80?), but I did buy a drive belt from him and it works fine.

I always just assumed the whole "acrylic platters are better thing" is either a myth or something only dogs will notice. Although my guess is (regardless or it being fact or fiction) it has something to do with how the sound resonates.

The Read Menace
Apr 4, 2003

What phantom records do you guys know about? I am specifically referring to albums that are purported to existed, and are neither confirmed nor denied by the band. A few examples I know are Godspeed You! Black Emperor's alleged first album: All Lights hosed on the Hairy Amp Drooling, and the first few Boards of Canada albums.

Any other interesting mystery albums out there?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

xzzy posted:

which worked great for 12 of 14 tracks

They wouldn't happen to be the innermost tracks of each side would they?

If so it's a cartridge alignment issue.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I always just assumed the whole "acrylic platters are better thing" is either a myth or something only dogs will notice. Although my guess is (regardless or it being fact or fiction) it has something to do with how the sound resonates.

Yeah- the idea is that the acrylic platter won't resonate as much as a metal one and that it'll supposedly eliminate static issues. As I understand it, springing for the acrylic platter upgrade on the old ProJect Debut 3 was semi-worth it because the stock platter was kind of flimsy and chintzy by comparison. ProJect put a lot more mass into the platter on the Debut Carbon, so while it still looks a little chintzy (particularly the felt mat), it feels solid.

In either situation, I'd consider an acrylic platter to be an aesthetic upgrade more than anything else.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Or you want to use a MC cart.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

They wouldn't happen to be the innermost tracks of each side would they?

If so it's a cartridge alignment issue.

One of them, yes. The sample I posted is the innermost track. The other problem track isn't, it's more about 2/3 the way in so I guess that'd be close enough to count.

I'll look into it, thanks for the tip.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Went to one of my local record stores to do some holiday shopping and found a sealed copy of Heady Nuggs for $60. Happy early Christmas to me :toot:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

http://www.outerbatteryrecords.com/products/sleep-live-in-denver-lp

We here at Outer Battery are avid record collectors and in our travels we sometimes come across records that we can't release ourselves but we know would be perfect for fans of the label. Sleep's "Live in Denver" is one of those records. Recorded in 2010, "Live in Denver" was just released by the mysterious Chalker Place Records. Pressed on pot green vinyl, and in a limited edition of just 420 copies, we knew that this was just too good to pass up so we grabbed a box of them. We now have them on sale for you, once we sell through this box they will be gone forever!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Man, the Code Orange Kids record I ordered last week got here before I even got a shipping notice for Converge :smith: I pre-ordered on the first day, too.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
My Vault package arrived yesterday and it's really beautiful. I really love the new mailers as this arrived in perfect condition with no split sleeves or bent corners. The book is softcover but still nicely done. Definitely one of the best packages yet. I'll post pics if anyone wants.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I never usually have any luck finding anything at shops but god drat I do well for King Crimson records

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Bliggers- posted:

My Vault package arrived yesterday and it's really beautiful. I really love the new mailers as this arrived in perfect condition with no split sleeves or bent corners. The book is softcover but still nicely done. Definitely one of the best packages yet. I'll post pics if anyone wants.

Listen to the live album and let me know what you think. I'm trying to figure out if I got a lovely pressign or if the source recording had a lot of noise from the sound system.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Richard Davies - Telegraph
Dan Deacon - America
Insane Clown Posse -Leck Mich Im Arse (I don't know why)
Jesus Lizard - Wheelchair Epidemic
Kishi Bashi - Snowflexi
Boris - Statement

Anyone who likes Ronald Jones-era Flaming Lips should check out that Richard Davies album, which he produced and played on. It's a really great, overlooked album. His first band, The Moles, are great, too.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
So anybody pick up the Turn On the Bright Lights 10th anniversary edition? I have the album on vinyl already (just an LP in a sleeve), but I'm wondering if the special edition is worth getting.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

I'm bad with money.

Pathard
Oct 23, 2011

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
If any of you enjoy The Black Dahlia Murder, they've just released two vinyl records.

Nocturnal in blue.

Ritual in green (glow in the dark - 250 limited).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

So anybody pick up the Turn On the Bright Lights 10th anniversary edition? I have the album on vinyl already (just an LP in a sleeve), but I'm wondering if the special edition is worth getting.

I'm in the same boat as you, but a friend bought it and I was looking at it last night. Really nice packaging like a hardcover book with the 2 Lps inside each cover and pages about the album between them.