Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The constant alcoholism jokes from Victoria Coren are always amusing too.

Prison Warden posted:

DO NOT THINK ABOUT THE EVENT.

You've chosen the bundle of sticks, time to guess the connection:

5 points: A helmet
3 points: The last child
2 points: President Butterfly
1 point: Them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

TinTower posted:

I'm not sure I've ever found a Victoria Coren joke funny. She just has no delivery whatsoever. I have to commend her on her poker face but it it's like having Angus Deyton back on HIGNFY.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Xachariah posted:

I'm not sure I've ever found a Victoria Coren joke funny. She just has no delivery whatsoever. I have to commend her on her poker face but it it's like having Angus Deyton back on HIGNFY.

Well, she is a professional poker player.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

TinTower posted:

You've chosen the bundle of sticks, time to guess the connection:

5 points: A helmet
3 points: The last child
2 points: President Butterfly
1 point: Them

And remember, remain indoors!

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Prison Warden posted:

DO NOT THINK ABOUT THE EVENT.

I watch it specifically because of the oppressive, post-criss atmosphere.

It's even worse on The Chase. The other day I heard the non-existent audience laugh.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Xachariah posted:

This is even more obvious when you listen to "Heresy". The early seasons are presented by David Baddiel and then when he leaves Victoria Coren takes over. And...it sort of goes downhill.

On the bright side, you do get to hear her voice a lot, which is brilliant on account of its sexiness.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Now that leads me to a question as someone not from the UK, how was David Baddiel at some point popular? I've seen him on some panel shows and he just comes off as a huge rear end in a top hat, in that one episode of Would I Lie To You he just made an rear end of himself and was as good at making funny remarks as any of the other non-comedians that go on that show. On top of that he claimed to have slept with two of the Spice Girls, him, HIM.

Also was Frank Skinner at one point particularly good at his job to warrant him being so popular?

Also Hugh Dennis.

Also Jason Manford.

Let's throw in that Dave Spikey guy.

Also that bald dude on Mock the Week that I can't even remember his name he's so unnotable.

lazyjane
Aug 24, 2003

Lemurs, Man, Lemurs

piratepilates posted:

Now that leads me to a question as someone not from the UK, how was David Baddiel at some point popular? I've seen him on some panel shows and he just comes off as a huge rear end in a top hat, in that one episode of Would I Lie To You he just made an rear end of himself and was as good at making funny remarks as any of the other non-comedians that go on that show. On top of that he claimed to have slept with two of the Spice Girls, him, HIM.

Also was Frank Skinner at one point particularly good at his job to warrant him being so popular?

Also Hugh Dennis.

Also Jason Manford.

Also that bald dude on Mock the Week that I can't even remember his name he's so unnotable.

Hugh Dennis and David Baddiel were both on The Mary Whitehouse Experience which I used to love when I was about 15.

David Baddiel and Frank Skinner presented Fantasy Football League which I also used to love back in the day.

Dave Spikey -I was friends with his daughter years ago- co-wrote Phoenix Nights which was great. I'm not a fan of his stand-up though.

No idea if that helps or not?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

piratepilates posted:

I've never particularly cared for David Baddiel but in Frank Skinner's defence, he does have a sharp wit and always comes across to me as a sort of likeable everyman. I think he's a very natural comic and that appeals to a lot of people.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

piratepilates posted:

Also Jason Manford.

Jason Manford had that salt of the earth Northerner persona which is popular in the UK, like Peter Kay before him. I think he is the sort of guy that people would say "I would go for a pint with him" about, he appealed to the working class folk. Until the sex scandal came out and then he seemed to disappear.

Dave Spikey is pretty unfunny as a performer, but he was good in Phoenix Nights and he co-wrote it so he deserves kudos for that.

The bald guy is Andy Parsons, and I don't know anyone who likes him.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Andy Parsons is genuinely a total mystery, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone that doesn't think he's awful

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Paperhouse posted:

Andy Parsons is genuinely a total mystery, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone that doesn't think he's awful

and yet he constantly fills venues. It really is a mystery.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

piratepilates posted:

Now that leads me to a question as someone not from the UK, how was David Baddiel at some point popular?
As has been said, The Mary Whitehouse Experience.

Rob Newman was funnier though, before he got all wanky.
So was Hugh Dennis, before he went mainstream and safe.
And so was Steve Punt, before he...what happened to Steve Punt?

Edit: Baddiel also pulls off 'looking like Marcella Detroit' a little too convincingly for my liking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUgmKezH550

hyper from Pixie Sticks fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 20, 2012

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Punt & Dennis co-headline the Now Show on radio 4.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Frank Skinner and his banjolele pay tribute to George Formby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2lePj51RmU

Cunning Plan
Apr 15, 2003

Paperhouse posted:

I think he is (or used to be) on quite a lot of the radio 4 comedy shows (Now show, news quiz etc). I find him more tolerable on those!

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Flatscan posted:

and yet he constantly fills venues. It really is a mystery.

He's like Coldplay and Turkish Delight.

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004
The Now show is probably the best topical satire show around at the moment on the BBC.
Also Turkish delight is amazing, Coldplay not so much.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

PlantHead posted:

The Now show is probably the best topical satire show around at the moment on the BBC.
really? i remember it being good when it was the only alternative after weekending was axed. but not it's so utterly safe it lacks any satirical bite whatsoever.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Cunning Plan posted:

I think he is (or used to be) on quite a lot of the radio 4 comedy shows (Now show, news quiz etc). I find him more tolerable on those!

He was also pretty good with Henry Naylor when they were doing Parsons & Naylor together.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

The Now Show has the occasional good bit but is mostly low hanging fruit. And how Mitch Benn stays in work is a total mystery.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

piratepilates posted:

Also Hugh Dennis.

Also Jason Manford.

Hugh Dennis was in Outnumbered which was very good for two seasons.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Cunning Plan posted:

I've heard him on an old episode of Charm Offensive and he was terrible. He'd make really poo poo jokes and then Iannucci or some other proper comedian would have to add to them to make it funny. He seems to be the worst thing on Mock The Week (based on the tiny snippets of that poo poo I've seen, never a full ep, so maybe I'm wrong) and that's saying something.

On a more positive note, I just got around to watching last week's HIGNFY last night and Richard Osman was fantastic. Best panelist I've seen on it for a while. I really could see him guest hosting at some stage in the near future.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I only watched the 45 min cut of last week's HIGNFY, did Charlotte Church's AIDS joke make the 30 minute cut? It was a complete 'can they say that?' moment.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

It did and it plus the reaction was great. Not generally a fan of "shock humour", but that worked really well.

Actually, in fairness to her, Church was very good at presenting it, I thought.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I'm rewatching Peep Show at the moment, and the first time Mark mentions his book 'Business Secrets if the Pharaohs' is when he tries to show it to Johnson in the fourth episode of the first series.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Metrication posted:

I'm rewatching Peep Show at the moment, and the first time Mark mentions his book 'Business Secrets if the Pharaohs' is when he tries to show it to Johnson in the fourth episode of the first series.

Aha, thought that sounded familiar.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Haha. It adds to the whole 'desperation' feel when it finally makes a proper appearince now.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yup, it reappears over the course of the entire show. It's the Chekhov's Gun that keeps on giving :allears:

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004

Cerv posted:

really? i remember it being good when it was the only alternative after weekending was axed. but not it's so utterly safe it lacks any satirical bite whatsoever.

Makes me laugh on my trip into work but happy to hear of alternatives.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

He also makes a reference to the book in The Rape Episode in series five.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I have been told that the Chas & Dave documentary on iplayer is great. Haven't watched it yet, though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01nkdsv/Chas_and_Dave_Last_Orders/

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Mickolution posted:

It did and it plus the reaction was great. Not generally a fan of "shock humour", but that worked really well.

Actually, in fairness to her, Church was very good at presenting it, I thought.

She was very good in the chair. The newspaper hacks have done such a good job in portraying her as a "child star gone wrong" drunken gobby tart that I'm always somewhat surprised when I see her on TV being professional, eloquent and often wickedly funny.

Harry Potter was a pretty good host this week too. His "who are these people?" bit about returning to high school after Hollywood made me chuckle.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, just watched tonight's. He was very good. I wasn't looking forward to it after reading the info on Sky, but that's because I always mix up Andy Hamilton with Andy Parsons, so that was a nice surprise :)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Was it just me, or was he incredibly uncomfortable with the Serena Williams joke at the end? I got that impression, although I was more dumbstruck at how transphobic that joke was I had to rewind twice. It's so bad, I broke my Ofcom duck, something I thought I'd never do. :smith:

At least the tranny joke in QI was actually funny, if incredibly old and Christmas cracker material.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
He did seem uncomfortable, yes. Daniel Radcliffe is a known ally of trans people.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Noreaus posted:

He did seem uncomfortable, yes. Daniel Radcliffe is a known ally of trans people.

So he should be. There's this pretty :3: story about him being an ally.

And especially as he was saying "It's on the autocue, I have to do it!" about his Hull joke, I wonder how much the show's producers strong-armed him into telling the joke.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

TinTower posted:

And especially as he was saying "It's on the autocue, I have to do it!" about his Hull joke, I wonder how much the show's producers strong-armed him into telling the joke.

It's certainly one of those things that a panel show with a regular host is much less vulnerable to - a guest host wouldn't have nearly the same amount of power over vetting material beforehand. A regular host is much more likely to be contributing to the writing, and so more able to suggest a less offensive alternative. Radcliffe can't really threaten to not come back next week, because he's not coming back next week...

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

As it's Christmas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtspNJIZUIs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
For me, it's not officially Christmas until I've cleared the room with my insistence on the Top of the Pops Christmas special. Good God, I love Shakin Stevens, and I don't care who knows. :colbert: