Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Oh man, the triumphant return of the western theme. I've been waiting for this for a really long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
The summer Cuusoo review results are coming on Thursday; I really hope they go forward with the modular western building idea.

Rustie
Aug 25, 2003

ixnay posted:

The summer Cuusoo review results are coming on Thursday; I really hope they go forward with the modular western building idea.

Unfortunately they won't, just like none of the best Cuusoo sets will ever be made, and now they have the perfect excuse as to why. They can say that all the votes for that set showed a real clamoring for a Western theme to return more than that actual set, and now there is one.

Plus there is no way Disney would allow them to put out a competing non-licensed Western set while Lone Ranger is on the shelves.

That being said, I will buy the hell out of those sets.

Check out Death Springs, my free webcomic updated every Thursday!

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Wow I can actually see myself getting about 4 of those, the Tee Pee set, the wagon set is really nice looking, the train is a must have and the city duel looks really good too. I just hope prices are not to retarded on the licensed sets though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
drat, that is a baller stagecoach. The mine set is pretty cool too.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Hell yes look at those cowboys and cowboy accessories I am stoked. And look at those little scorpions jumping through the air -- have the natives developed scorpion launching technology?

I'm kind of hoping the movie bombs so all the sets end up on the discount shelf within weeks :twisted:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Saint Sputnik posted:

Hell yes look at those cowboys and cowboy accessories I am stoked. And look at those little scorpions jumping through the air -- have the natives developed scorpion launching technology?

I'm kind of hoping the movie bombs so all the sets end up on the discount shelf within weeks :twisted:

I'm hoping the movie kicks rear end so they make more sets!

Nazzle
Apr 11, 2008
I'm loosing all faith in Lego if I cant buy me a rifter!

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
If anyone lives in Austin, they're selling Series 9 at Barton Creek Mall.
Good luck picking up a knight though. :smug:

VaultAggie fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 19, 2012

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Oh my god, the train.

Lego, it's like you know me.

More buildings would be nice though.

MaggieTheCat
Nov 7, 2010

VaultAggie posted:

If anyone lives in Ausin, they're selling Series 9 at Barton Creek Mall.
Good luck picking up a knight though. :smug:

You bastard!Just kidding. Thanks for the heads up will go check it out tomorrow.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Except for the train, I feel like all of the Lone Ranger sets are just updated versions of the last Western theme. Not that I'm complaining; it's just interesting to see how far Lego's come in the last however many years.

I mean, compare this:

to this:

(Not that I'm complaining; classic Western was always one of my favorite lines.)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Are those mine tracks compatible with the train? Woooo!

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Hey Gravy, is something going on with BrickBadger? I can't see any discounted sets.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
I had Attack on Weathertop built for all of two minutes before my girlfriend dropped it on the floor and shattered it while putting Hobbits through the trapdoor :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well, now you get to build it again.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I just got the e-mail about the new TMNT set and I'm surprised at the prices. They really top out at 60 bucks?

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
Hello boys :j:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ixnay posted:

Yeah, here are the sets:
EVE Online ship: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/11619
BttF Delorean: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/96
Zelda: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6809
Western modulars: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/1787

If they can get the license, I can see them doing the Delorean. It would sell well to the older crowd that is into these, and isn't a huge set. Zelda is pretty bare-bones, with only the minifigs really designed. Eve Online, I have doubts about how many people are interested.

And then there's western modulars... an awesome idea, but are the current modulars that big a seller that they could do another similarly priced series successfully? Maybe this could be the successor to that series since you want people to be able to "collect them all" and that's becoming impossible for the modulars due to the scarcity of the old ones.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 19, 2012

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

smackfu posted:

Yeah, here are the sets:

If they can get the license, I can see them doing the Delorean. It would sell well to the older crowd that is into these, and isn't a huge set. Zelda is pretty bare-bones, with only the minifigs really designed. Eve Online, I have doubts about how many people are interested.

And then there's western modulars... an awesome idea, but are the current modulars that big a seller that they could do another similarly priced series successfully? Maybe this could be the successor to that series since you want people to be able to "collect them all" and that's becoming impossible for the modulars due to the scarcity of the old ones.

I heard the idea floating around that the modular western buildings would, scale wise, mimic the mini-modular set from early this year. Honestly the only one of these I think is likely is the BttF set.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I remember CCP (the people that produce EVE) being totally on board with the model when it originally appears for votes. Personally, I like the build (though I think the colors are off and it could be a little more greebly), and wouldn't mind it. I don't know how much TLG would like to associate with the game's image, though. From that standpoint, BttF is probably the most likely if they can score the license.

And the cynical part of me wants to say that the Lone Ranger line is more of a "borrowed" idea from the wild west entry. They saw how popular the idea was, noticed there was another Johnny Depp action blockbuster coming along that just HAPPENED to have the same theme, and put two and two together. But that's just too convenient. Right?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

rickiep00h posted:

I remember CCP (the people that produce EVE) being totally on board with the model when it originally appears for votes. Personally, I like the build (though I think the colors are off and it could be a little more greebly), and wouldn't mind it. I don't know how much TLG would like to associate with the game's image, though. From that standpoint, BttF is probably the most likely if they can score the license.

And the cynical part of me wants to say that the Lone Ranger line is more of a "borrowed" idea from the wild west entry. They saw how popular the idea was, noticed there was another Johnny Depp action blockbuster coming along that just HAPPENED to have the same theme, and put two and two together. But that's just too convenient. Right?

I think, with the Lone Ranger, is more likely simply exist because Disney now have Lego products for all of their blockbuster franchise attempts; Pirates, Persia, Ranger, etc.

But yeah, while I think the EVE ship would be approved by CCP I just don't think it fits at all with the Lego brand.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Swagger Dagger posted:

I just got the e-mail about the new TMNT set and I'm surprised at the prices. They really top out at 60 bucks?

Same here with the e-mails, the pricing is pretty good too. The only down side is the sets seem to be very meh to me, the turtle van is not to bad looking but the mech in that set is very boxy and doesn't look all the good. I am a huge TMNT fan from the 80s all the way up to the new stuff but I am debating about getting any of these sets.

The mini figures are all pretty dam bad rear end though...

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Those Lone Ranger sets are making me weirdly nostalgic for my childhood Lego. I was never a rabid fan of the Western Lego when I was a kid (I certainly had some of it but it wasn't my favourite) but damned if those new sets aren't triggering all my purchasing impulses.

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

smackfu posted:

Yeah, here are the sets:

Western Modulars are great, I supported it. Though I think with the upcoming Lone Ranger sets, these just get blended in. I don't see Lego putting out 2 western themes in the same time, sadly.

I can totally see a whole line of Back to the Future sets coming in 2015, the year they traveled to the future in Part II. There's a lot of memorable action scenes across all three films, not just the Delorean. The car/skateboard chase with Biff, the Clock Tower (past and future), hijacking the train would make great sets.

Legend of Zelda would be cool, but I don't see it happening, maybe in the future should Lego acquire the Nintendo license.

EVE Online seems to be the only one that has a chance. It certainly has a big fanbase and the ship designs just scream to be made into brick form. It worked for Minecraft.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

PriorMarcus posted:

But yeah, while I think the EVE ship would be approved by CCP I just don't think it fits at all with the Lego brand.

Honest question, why doesn't it fit with the LEGO brand? Or, what is the LEGO brand?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

InfinEight posted:

Oh dear god no. :stonk:

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

InfinEight posted:

It's like Zarana from the dreadnoks mutated in Lego form

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Wouldn't BTTF Lego require twice the licensing? As in, they'd need approval from both the movie people and the car people?

Do people have to be involved if their likeness is being made in Lego, or does that just go through the movie owner and they have no say?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

Wouldn't BTTF Lego require twice the licensing? As in, they'd need approval from both the movie people and the car people?

Do people have to be involved if their likeness is being made in Lego, or does that just go through the movie owner and they have no say?

It really depends on Universal's contract with DMC and the actors, that might not be something Lego has to worry about.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

They're doing the Delorean
http://legocuusoo.posterous.com/results-of-the-summer-lego-review

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
I hope they sell a ton of DeLoreans and decide to do a full BTTF theme.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Lego posted:

The Modular Western Town project conflicts with an ongoing project at the LEGO Group. As a result, the project does not meet the business case requirements and has not passed the LEGO Review.

I guess some people were right, the new lone ranger series did stop the modular town.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
The EVE ship got axed as well.

riversarl
Nov 11, 2012
Now all the fansites are ranting about Cuusoo's integrity. It feels like there were probably tight stipulations that came with the overarching Disney license, but who knows for sure. Am super pumped for BTTF though!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sad there's no Rifter coming, but the DeLorean should be awesome. I'm assuming there's going to be some modification to the model, though. It doesn't seem to have the design group's touch. And I would love a full BttF line. The Angry Bum has some awesome ideas.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Now I'm just pumped for a back to the future set!

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
This fellow crashed his quadcopter, and rebuilt it with a LEGO frame. Unfortunately glue is involved, but it's still flying LEGO...

http://www.suasnews.com/2012/12/20276/drone-made-of-lego-takes-flight/

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I don't know why the gently caress people expected not-Star Wars to get a pass, same with Zelda and the western town. It was obvious, to me at least, from reading the rules and guidelines for Cuusoo sets that the Back to the Future one was the only set that stood a chance.

Out of the next line I think it's obvious that the Mars Rover is a pass, and that the Portal set is a maybe. I don't think there's any loving way that the Sandcrawler will pass, it would be prohibitively expensive and doesn't fit the idea of the Cuusoo project at all.

I actually feel sorry for the Lego group who has to deal with this poo poo; Cuusoo isn't about making new product lines for wide distribution, it's about making single sets that will generate enough money from limited distribution to justify their production, every time they see a 10'000 piece Star Wars set or a multiple mini-fig and set line pass they must loving die inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rustie
Aug 25, 2003

Well, called that one. An expected bummer.

But the fact that BTTF made it through is cool and at least proof that Cuusoo can get a set made, despite its very specific requirements.

Check out Death Springs, my free webcomic updated every Thursday!