Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Waaaaaaaaait wait wait....the guy who made American Horror Story is the same guy who made Glee?!

:psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Waaaaaaaaait wait wait....the guy who made American Horror Story is the same guy who made Glee?!

Yes, two campy over the top shows were made by the same guy.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah, Glee actually helps contextualize AHS a bit.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I can't imagine watching those two shows and not immediately understanding that they are made by the same person.

Maybe it's just because I've been witness to his recent career progression of Nip/Tuck > Glee > American Horror Story > The New Normal.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Thanks for the link. It's actually a pretty level-headed analysis of his faults and strengths and how they're both wound together.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

GonSmithe posted:

I really don't like season 1 too much...

It's a shame that that Christopher Morris was only in the weakest season, as much as I love Matt Berry (in everything).

But yeah, it took me a long time to just soldier through the first season in one go, because the first time I tried to watch the first couple of episodes I could barely finish them. Then I gave up for several months before giving it another try.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Didn't see it mentioned in this thread but The Art of Flight is up. Amazing snowboarding flick. Cool look at not-so-charted places. And an awesome soundtrack. Watch it in HD!

Oh and there's some 7 episode "the making of" that I haven't watched

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Looks like I need to give The IT Crowd another try. Watched the first 2 or 3 episodes and just did not understand the appeal. Definitely going to check out The Work Outing.

PriorMarcus posted:

I can't imagine watching those two shows and not immediately understanding that they are made by the same person.

Maybe it's just because I've been witness to his recent career progression of Nip/Tuck > Glee > American Horror Story > The New Normal.

Oh god, that explains so much. The New Normal is like somebody watched Modern Family and took away all of the wrong elements as the reason for it being successful. It's successful because it has a gay couple and an old out of touch person, right? Let's ramp all that poo poo up to 11 and completely get rid of any sort of nuance or humanity.

I will defend his other shows as entertaining in spite of themselves, but The New Normal is terrible. He should stick to making original shows and not attempt to make his own version of already hugely popular shows.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

PriorMarcus posted:

I meant because I haven't seen much of Glee but what I have has seemed like complete poo poo to me, while AHS is one of my favorite shows.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

I meant because I haven't seen much of Glee but what I have has seemed like complete poo poo to me, while AHS is one of my favorite shows.

to like glee, you must realize that almost every character is a complete poo poo head and totally unrealistic, and just delight in how stupid everybody is. the show is making fun of idiot high school kids, to an audience of mostly idiot high school kids. so meta :tinfoil:

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
My only awareness of Glee is that they apparently cover every song and if you listened to the song BEFORE Glee covered it you're going to get lots of "thumbs up" on Youtube.

afgrunden
Jul 21, 2011

I'm looking for some good Spanish or Portuguese language films on Netflix Watch Instantly. I am particularly interested in films from Latin America but I am open to European or African as well. Any suggestions? I'm not very genre-specific, but I would prefer movies that aren't too depressing. Thanks in advance :)

afgrunden fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 20, 2012

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

afgrunden posted:

I'm looking for some good Spanish or Portuguese language films on Netflix Watch Instantly. I am particularly interested in films from Latin America but I am open to European or African as well. Any suggestions? I'm not very genre-specific, but I would prefer movies that aren't too depressing. Thanks in advance :)

I haven't seen it, but Will Ferrell's Casa de Mi Padre is on instant, I believe. It's entirely in spanish.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Timecrimes is a really interesting thriller involving time travel. Biutiful is also up, I keep meaning to watch that but I haven't yet. It looks like it may be on the depressing side though.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

afgrunden posted:

I think the two Elite Squads are up on Netflix and they are pretty good police movies, as in "showing how it sucks to be police in Brazil". I have some objections about how some issues are treated, but the movies are good action-fare.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

The first one is dvd only. Both great flicks. The 2nd one is a lot more politically charged. You don't really have to watch them in order but I'd recommend it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

afgrunden posted:

Here are a few that I think are good, if you haven't seen them yet (all available on streaming, these are all in Spanish):

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/60034802?strkid=11039577_0_0&trkid=222336&movieid=60034802

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Y-Tu-Mama-Tambien/60023237?trkid=1660&fdvd=true

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/60000729?strkid=198983927_0_0&trkid=222336&movieid=60000729

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

afgrunden posted:

Mancora is a good road trip movie about adults, Y Tu Mama Tambien is a good road trip movie about teenagers. Y Tu Mama Tambien is the better movie if you have to pick just one.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I was in the mood for a Christmas movie, and while browsing around, came across Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence, starring Beat Takeshi (aka the Japanese host of Most Extreme Elimination Challenge) and David Bowie (aka the British pansexual bandleader of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars).

It was not a Christmas movie. Not at all. Unless your idea of prison is a Japanese prison camp, in which case, it's a very merry film indeed!

It's intriguing, since it was made by the Japanese, and yet it deals with them in World War II. It does not present them in an overwhelmingly positive or negative light. It pulls very few punches.

It is a really good film, and David Bowie is amazing. And this was around the time of Let's Dance.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

I haven't seen it, but Will Ferrell's Casa de Mi Padre is on instant, I believe. It's entirely in spanish.

It is intentionally in grammatically terrible and basic Spanish and also I saw it shitfaced drunk in theaters and I think I laughed once, and I will laugh at pretty much anything when I'm drunk.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

afgrunden posted:

Man of the Year rocks despite the somewhat weak denouement.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It is intentionally in grammatically terrible and basic Spanish and also I saw it shitfaced drunk in theaters and I think I laughed once, and I will laugh at pretty much anything when I'm drunk.

I literally just finished watching it, and when the funniest part of your comedy movie is the (deliberate) continuity errors, you need to go back and write some drat jokes.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of his anymore, but it's the only thing that came to mind, plus it has the appeal of being fairly new/not seen.

I totally believe you about it sucking though.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

casa de mi padre posted:

Y Tu Mama Tambien is a good road trip movie about teenagers. Y Tu Mama Tambien is the better movie if you have to pick just one.

Also one of the sexiest films of all time. I have friends who use it as guaranteed sex whenever they have someone over to watch something.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Bad Boys II is on Netflix USA if you want to watch one of the most gloriously trashy movies ever made :)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

How long does it usually take for new releases to go up on Netflix? Like, does anyone have any idea when Season Three of Louie will be up there, or?

Also are there any good blogs about Netflix about? New releases, news, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

How long does it usually take for new releases to go up on Netflix? Like, does anyone have any idea when Season Three of Louie will be up there, or?

Thanks in advance.

Usually current shows get the last season put up around the time the next season begins.

http://instantwatcher.com/ is the best, http://www.hackingnetflix.com/ is also great.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

PriorMarcus posted:

Thanks in advance.

Season 4 of Louie is not airing on TV until 2014, so you've probably got a bit of a wait ahead of you for season 3 on Netflix.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

afgrunden posted:

Sidewalls was pretty great.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Unmature posted:

Mike Birbiglia's film Sleepwalk With Me is finally available on Netflix. Watch the hell out of it. Birbigs is my favorite standup/storyteller working in the last decade and I've wanted to see this movie based on his one man show so bad.

I've heard his one man show and now have seen the movie, but I honestly wonder what someone who hadn't seen his stand up would make of the film? I thought it was cute, but not fantastic: 3.5/5 stars. (Though his stand up is easily 5/5 for me).

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Indolent Bastard posted:

I've heard his one man show and now have seen the movie, but I honestly wonder what someone who hadn't seen his stand up would make of the film? I thought it was cute, but not fantastic: 3.5/5 stars. (Though his stand up is easily 5/5 for me).

I think it's probably better if you haven't heard his stand-up. I've heard it and I've heard him on This American Life, so every single joke in the movie was one I'd heard at least 2-3 times. If it were new to me it'd probably be more interesting.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I found Sleepwalk With Me Pretty much inferior to the spoken word version of the same story in every way. The whole thing just felt so limp and underwhelming in movie form. Like half the joy of Mike Birbiglia is in the way he tells his story. The movie almost completely got rid of that and we're left with dry re-enactments of moments that are described with such life in the spoken word. In fact the only time the movie really comes to life at all is when it begins to resemble spoken word. Making a film of this story just didn't improve on any aspect on it and in a way the story feels a bit unsubstantial in film form.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I noticed something odd on Instant Watcher today:

See the Hot New 2012 releases?
They're made up shows/movies from Arrested Development

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

SouthLAnd posted:

I don't remember Seven Up from that show. Probably an episode I missed.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

mr. unhsib posted:

Bad Boys II is on Netflix USA if you want to watch one of the most gloriously trashy movies ever made :)

Bad Boys II is the Michael Bay-est of Michael Bay movies. I can't recommend it enough for that reason alone.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo! They added the Up series? If you haven't watched those movies, do so now.

Edit: For those that don't know the Up series is a British documentary that started by focusing on a group of seven year olds and checking up on them every seven years. The original idea was to show how accurate the says "Give me a child until he is seven and I will give you the man" was. The series is still going (56 Up came out this year) and has basically become a look at people in general and how their lives play out.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 20, 2012

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

morestuff posted:

I don't remember Seven Up from that show. Probably an episode I missed.

It looks to be an actual show from the 60's.

E: I might have to check that out actually.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

SouthLAnd posted:

Haha this rules. If you play them, they take you to the corresponding clips from the show

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Just watched Unicorn City and found it to be a pretty funny comedy about gamers/LARP nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

SouthLAnd posted:

It looks to be an actual show from the 60's.

E: I might have to check that out actually.

Sorry, that was a bad joke. Like Axleblaze said, they're interesting documentaries.

• Locked thread