Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

api call girl posted:

#23 "Light burn me," Rand said. "You're not him, are you?"

e: I like the thinking that it's Rand expecting a high level Seanchan emissary, a certain Prince of the Ravens, and in comes Mat.

That would certainly make the most sense. And would be a great scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Jedit posted:

Rand becomes the last person to realise Taim isn't Demandred. The rest of Randland says, "See, we told you!"

Even though Jordan apparently explicitly denied this, I continue to believe that it was originally the case, but he later retconned it. The "so-called Aiel" line Taim says early on cinches this for me. The original Forsaken were the only characters who would even have a reason to say this. :colbert:

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Yeah I'm convinced that's the case too. I feel like everyone picked up on that secret too easily, so he changed his mind later on.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I dunno, he didn't flat-out deny much, if he said it I'll buy it. There may well be a reason for that line.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
That line could be a complete unintentional red herring too. It's way too vague to jump on and say LOOK HE'S DEMANDRED.

It also works far better if Taim becomes a Forsaken because of Rand, much like Sammael and Demandred became Forsaken because of Lews Therin.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It could also be Rand talking to someone who's been circle-of-thirteen'd.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Has any character actually ever been "circle-of-thirteen'd" that we know of? It would be cool if we get a scene involving that.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
A bunch of Asha'man have (there was that character who experienced all his friends going in for a 'meeting' with Taim and coming back essentially evil) but I don't think a POV character or close friend of one has.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

syphon posted:

A bunch of Asha'man have (there was that character who experienced all his friends going in for a 'meeting' with Taim and coming back essentially evil) but I don't think a POV character or close friend of one has.

Tarna Feir had one POV section (in KoD chapter 25) and was 13x13'd in ToM.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

api call girl posted:

That line could be a complete unintentional red herring too. It's way too vague to jump on and say LOOK HE'S DEMANDRED.

I dunno. It seems like a line that no one but a Forsaken or someone who had lived in the Age of Legends would use. To anyone born in the Third Age Aiel would just be Aiel. Only someone who had known what they were before would be capable of slipping up and referring to them as 'so-called Aiel'. I believe Taim was introduced in the same book that introduced Osan'gar and Aran'gar, so maybe he was initially intended to be a different dead Forsaken reincarnated?

It's fine that Jordan retconned it, as he seemed to have retconned a few other little things about the Power and the Warder Bond and such, but I'm not sure I'll ever be convinced that the Taim thing wasn't a retcon.

That just makes you evil, or lets the Shadow mind control you or something, I don't think it gives you knowledge of the ancient Aiel.

I kept hoping (even though I knew it wouldn't happen) that one of the main characters would get 13'd. I kept suspecting it would be Elayne, because everyone was trying to kidnap her. Sure, your babies will be born safely. SAFELY EVIL!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
What I'm saying is the fandom has latched on to two words and read a world of meaning into them that probably wasn't intended in the first place.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

api call girl posted:

What I'm saying is the fandom has latched on to two words and read a world of meaning into them that probably wasn't intended in the first place.

Oh, I guess it's possible it was a mistake, but Jordan seemed to like to use subtle little 'throw-away' lines like that to hint at things, and it was 'set up' by having other Forsaken use that exact phrasing earlier in the series, so I'm inclined to think it was on purpose, even if he later changed his mind. :shobon:

I want to say it was Lanfear or Asmodeon that said 'so-called Aiel' first?

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

api call girl posted:

It wasn't just that phrase. It was a host of things that made the Taimandred theory plausible, and the use of a throwaway phrase we'd only heard other Forsaken use just sealed it. If some random character had said "so-called Aiel" we'd probably interpret it differently.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The only other usage of "so-called Aiel" in the series that I'm aware of is done by Ishamael/Moridin. That doesn't suggest Taim is Demandred, it suggests Taim is linked in some fashion to Ishamael. (KoD and ToM further this by having Taim adopt Moridin's colors and then favoring the "missing" hand that Moridin does since Rand loses his in KoD)

and then AMoL prologue throws a wrench into that by elevating Taim to a new Forsaken without further mention of similarities to Moridin.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 19, 2012

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Fintilgin posted:

That just makes you evil, or lets the Shadow mind control you or something, I don't think it gives you knowledge of the ancient Aiel.

I think Hieronymous Alloy was positing someone that today's AMoL snippet could involve, not an explanation for Taim. (I like the "Taim is the kind of guy who likes wordplay" explanation for "so-called Aiel" - it's not that he's saying "these aren't the pacifists I remember from the Second Age" but rather that he's saying "Do you really think they're all that dedicated? Aiel means dedicated, get it?" This theory is reinforced by AMoL spoilers He started calling himself M'Hael when Rand gave him the Black Tower to run, and now that's his actual name. "Hey guys, I'm Leader! No, I don't mean I'm your leader, my name is Leader, because I'm everybody's leader, get it?")

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

api call girl posted:

#23 "Light burn me," Rand said. "You're not him, are you?"

e: I like the thinking that it's Rand expecting a high level Seanchan emissary, a certain Prince of the Ravens, and in comes Mat.

Almost certainly.

We had a few of those before and it never gets stale.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

api call girl posted:

The only other usage of "so-called Aiel" in the series that I'm aware of is done by Ishamael/Moridin. That doesn't suggest Taim is Demandred, it suggests Taim is linked in some fashion to Ishamael. (KoD and ToM further this by having Taim adopt Moridin's colors and then favoring the "missing" hand that Moridin does since Rand loses his in KoD)

and then AMoL prologue throws a wrench into that by elevating Taim to a new Forsaken without further mention of similarities to Moridin.

Another (AMOL preview chapters) spoilery explanation: The corrupted Aiel in the blight could fairly easily be a source of circle-of-13 hijinx and/or training for Taim, which would provide a pretty obvious cultural contrast to the (more) normal Aiel.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Velius posted:

Another (AMOL preview chapters) spoilery explanation: The corrupted Aiel in the blight could fairly easily be a source of circle-of-13 hijinx and/or training for Taim, which would provide a pretty obvious cultural contrast to the (more) normal Aiel.

That might end up being the reason (it's been brought up before), but it still seems sort of forced to me if that's the case. You don't say "so-called" to the main/normal group of people just because you've met the hosed up version.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Wow I read these books 5 years ago over the course of three months. Reading this thread makes me feel like I missed a lot :eng99:.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

SHISHKABOB posted:

Wow I read these books 5 years ago over the course of three months. Reading this thread makes me feel like I missed a lot :eng99:.

If you haven't read the entire series 5 times over, you missed a lot.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
Day 24: "There were many good years. Good decades, good centuries. We believed we were living in paradise. Perhaps that was our downfall. We wanted our lives to be perfect, so we ignored imperfections. Problems were magnified through inattention, and war might have become inevitable if the Bore hadn't ever been made."

Wow. I can't wait to read the conversation containing that one. I'm guessing it's Lanfear.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

werdnam posted:

Day 24: "There were many good years. Good decades, good centuries. We believed we were living in paradise. Perhaps that was our downfall. We wanted our lives to be perfect, so we ignored imperfections. Problems were magnified through inattention, and war might have become inevitable if the Bore hadn't ever been made."

Wow. I can't wait to read the conversation containing that one. I'm guessing it's Lanfear.

Could be Moridin, in a "and now here we are, at the end of all things" kind of speech. But you're probably right.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Could even be Rand, because he seems to have fully integrated his Lews Therin memories and has access to them all. He is one with Lews now.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Fintilgin posted:

Could even be Rand, because he seems to have fully integrated his Lews Therin memories and has access to them all. He is one with Lews now.

That was what I thought when I read it. Or Moridin. The quote seems a little too introspective for Lanfear, she was never really one for that sort of thing.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
So, was anybody here lucky enough to get the book shipped to them early?
Apparently Chapters made a mistake and sent the book out to an unknown number of people.

Hopefully spoilers don't get spammed everywhere now.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Troll Bridgington posted:

Apparently Chapters made a mistake and sent the book out to an unknown number of people.

No but I would kill for a copy now that I am done with school and work is shut down for Christmas.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Arrrrrrgh holidays start in 2 days (week and a half off of work) and I will have nothing to do (but to e-stalk people who got a copy).

e: Well, also there's the baby.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 20, 2012

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Doesn't this basically happen for every big release of anything ever? I pre-ordered from Amazon with release day shipping and am half-expecting to get it a day or two early.

Oh, and Day 25: "Oh, blood and ashes, no!" Cadsuane said, spinning on them. "No, no, no."

Something's got Cadsuane mighty upset for her to start spewing curses.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

werdnam posted:

Doesn't this basically happen for every big release of anything ever? I pre-ordered from Amazon with release day shipping and am half-expecting to get it a day or two early.

Oh, and Day 25: "Oh, blood and ashes, no!" Cadsuane said, spinning on them. "No, no, no."

One of her underlings must have overcooked the tea.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Snape kills Moiraine.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The very first time somebody gets in this thread talking about how they have the book is the day I go on lock down until after I'm done.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

werdnam posted:

Perrin then hands Mat a fifty, in disbelief he lost that bet.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Special emphasis:

"Oh, blood and ashes, no!" Cadsuane said, spinning on them. "No, no, no."

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

api call girl posted:

Special emphasis:

I can't help but picturing her spinning around with her arms out while standing on people for this.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

api call girl posted:

Special emphasis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV4zcuF2fe8

nopants
May 29, 2004

werdnam posted:

When I read that, I got the mental of image of Cadsuane riding the teacups at Disney World and realizing she's about to throw up.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I feel good today, I actually got a friend to borrow my copy of Eye of the World. His first response after reading awhile was, "Man this Lews Therin guy had it rough, and I don't know what it had to do with the first chapter".

I don't think he knows what he's getting into.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I sometimes wonder if I could read the whole series now if I hadn't started way back in the day...like if it would just be too intimidating and too difficult to get through with all of its quirks. Then again, I read the Malazan series in the past couple of years...

fake edit: ahahaha I just told my wife that the last book is coming out on January 8th, thinking she'd be excited, and she was like "what?? noooooooooo!!! I have to work on my dissertation I don't have time to read it!" (she defends at the beginning of March so the next couple of months are serious crunch time)

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Levitate posted:

fake edit: ahahaha I just told my wife that the last book is coming out on January 8th, thinking she'd be excited, and she was like "what?? noooooooooo!!! I have to work on my dissertation I don't have time to read it!" (she defends at the beginning of March so the next couple of months are serious crunch time)

I'm the same way, I have quals in February. And it's going to sit there taunting me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

calandryll posted:

I'm the same way, I have quals in February. And it's going to sit there taunting me.

I'll be at a conference in Ohio from the 7th through the 11th. :cry:

• Locked thread