Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Vargo posted:

I just realized that the link you posted literally requires you to buy 240 necklaces minimum. I think we'll stick with Etsy on this one.
What if I simply have that many necks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

What if I simply have that many necks?

Or just plain want to wear that many necklaces?

Jay Dub, the film critic version of Flava Flav. Complete with Marmaduke clock around his neck that farts out the hour and has someone groan, 'Oh, Marmaduke!' and that wah wah wahhhh horn effect.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

John Dyne posted:

Or just plain want to wear that many necklaces?

Jay Dub, the film critic version of Flava Flav. Complete with Marmaduke clock around his neck that farts out the hour and has someone groan, 'Oh, Marmaduke!' and that wah wah wahhhh horn effect.

Pretty sure you just described one of the layers of hell

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Nucular Carmul posted:

Pretty sure you just described one of the layers of hell

Coming next season, my VH1 reality show Dogfarts of Love.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

The best screen name since TomWaitsForNoMan

Holy poo poo.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
Someone told me there was a Christmas Story 2 recently. I thought they were pulling my leg. After reading the review, I'm going to pretend that it doesn't exist, because I love A Christmas Story for all its weird, nostalgic charm. I still love that stupid lamp.

I'm glad Ian didn't mention the fps stuff for The Hobbit. I also appreciated the bizarre little herring about the Necromancer.

Gray Garrison
Nov 8, 2005

Good old Jersey Boy Racist
I thought the first A Christmas Story was during the 1940's not the 1930's

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Gray Garrison posted:

I thought the first A Christmas Story was during the 1940's not the 1930's

In A Christmas Story, Ralphie is 9. He's 15 in ACS2, which takes place in 1945, which puts the original in 1939.

If ACS2 fucks up the timeline, well, I guess that's one more thing the film did wrong.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Jay Dub posted:

In A Christmas Story, Ralphie is 9. He's 15 in ACS2, which takes place in 1945, which puts the original in 1939.

If ACS2 fucks up the timeline, well, I guess that's one more thing the film did wrong.

Ralphie was 14 in Ollie Hopnoodle, which was set in the 50s (and should be watched instead of Christmas Story 2).

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Unguided posted:

Ralphie was 14 in Ollie Hopnoodle, which was set in the 50s (and should be watched instead of Christmas Story 2).

That may be true, but ACS2 is the "official sequel", which makes Ollie Hopnoodle basically a Jean Shepard Elseworlds story.

:suicide:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Unguided posted:

Is this the movie with the battling tops?
I swear I remember watching an older Ralphie and some other boy battling tops, but I'm not sure if I'm confusing it with another story or if the whole thing was just an old fever dream.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Vargo's End of Year Report, 2011: "All of the movies are crazy! The world is a hosed up place!"

Vargo's End of Year Report, 2012: "We're all going to die alone and afraid!"

Vargo's End of Year Report, 2013 (projected): "I've got a gun and I'm taking you fuckers with me!"

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Sheldrake posted:

Vargo's End of Year Report, 2011: "All of the movies are crazy! The world is a hosed up place!"

Vargo's End of Year Report, 2012: "We're all going to die alone and afraid!"

Vargo's End of Year Report, 2013 (projected): "I've got a gun and I'm taking you fuckers with me!"

I half expected this to become a "Chewy Meats" joke.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Sean's review of Django Unchained is right on the money, although I compared Stephen to Uncle Ruckus from The Boondocks instead of Bill Cosby. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that Tupac/James Brown mashup was out of place and that there were weird incest vibes between Candie and his sister.

Like Vargo, I went to a big-time theater college (a couple years ago it was ranked #1 by Princeton Review for theater and the theater people there would break out into song with little or no provocation), so I was a little interested to hear the critique of Les Miserables among my college theater friends. It was not so much about how good the movie was, but how the actors performed in their roles. It was mostly positive, although they hated one of the male parts whose actor and role I didn't even bother remembering.

Prof. Clumsy's piece about the hivemind mentality of movie criticism is right on the money. Case in point: this piece about The Grey "inexplicably" being on the New York Times' top 10 movies of the year list.

Good piece to end the year, guys.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I'm glad that both Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter and Battleship is given its due attention in two year-end retrospectives.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I half expected this to become a "Chewy Meats" joke.

2014 End of Year Report.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Ian, Ian, Ian... Every time I read a single paragraph from you it's like I'm reading the livejournal of some 17 year old who thinks he has the world all figured out.

Keep up the good work!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

The Blackest Goon posted:

Ian, Ian, Ian... Every time I read a single paragraph from you it's like I'm reading the livejournal of some 17 year old who thinks he has the world all figured out.

Keep up the good work!

You're not Michael Yerkovic, are you?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I'm going to be interested in your review of Hyde Park on Hudson. I'm surprised you haven't reviewed it yet, considering it's obviously Oscar bait,and it has Bill Murray (who owns, objectively). I usually look to your reviews before heading out to the movies, but I decided to check it out based solely on the fact that the trailers looked good. Fortunately it turned out to be a fantastic movie, and my mom (who I wanted to take to a non-violent film) loved it.

I've been noticing a trend of popular biographies of famous leaders during difficult times. The King's Speech, Lincoln, and Hyde Park on Hudson. Perhaps thanks to the current economic crisis and uncertainty around the world, people are harkening back to the times when we had (perceived) stronger leaders willing to set fire to Southerners/Fascists. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this. Sort of like the spate of WWII movies/videogames following 9/11.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Even though I didn't totally agree with the wrap up of this year's movies on Current Releases, I find their insight valuable and generally fantastic.

Congratulations, 2012 Current Releases. Even when I partially disagree with you, I see where all you reviewers are coming from and your valid criticisms. Keep it up!

And because of you I'm going to watch Battleship with an open mind, which prior to now I would have imagined involving an act of God.

cowbeef
Apr 21, 2010
In case the editors check this, they should know that the link for the line "iconic shot from the original" in the Texas Chainsaw 3D review is broken.

Props to Sean for sitting through that abysmal film. I'm not going near it. I watched a two minute clip and that alone was enough to turn me away.

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich
No movie of the week this time around?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I noticed there was none last week, also, although I took it as more of a statement on their low quality overall.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Is it just me, or did the style of the score box change?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Interesting. If you take Army of Darkness as "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court & Zombies", Sam Raimi was ahead of the curve by about twenty years.

Also, forget Hansel & Gretel, how the gently caress did Movie 43 get made? Did the producers have pictures of all those stars loving goats?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Also, forget Hansel & Gretel, how the gently caress did Movie 43 get made? Did the producers have pictures of all those stars loving goats?

That's the only logical explanation, although loving a goat is less embarrassing than being in Movie 43.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Is it just me, or did the style of the score box change?

The style of everything changed, the front page took a Web 2.0 upgrade.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This site's review of Movie 43 is literally the first time I have ever heard of the film. Now, I find myself suspecting that this movie doesn't exist and that Vargo made it up for a joke review.

Good one, Vargo. You had me going for a while, but you went way over the top. Seriously, that many famous actors in the kind of movie you described? If you're going to make stuff up, you need at least try to make it believable.

Still, pretty funny prank on your part, right?

Right?

E: And by Vargo I meant Clumsy, but it's easier for me to believe that you're all in on this than to accept that this movie is real.

Command Ant fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 27, 2013

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Command Ant posted:

This site's review of Movie 43 is literally the first time I have ever heard of the film. Now, I find myself suspecting that this movie doesn't exist and that Vargo made it up for a joke review.

Good one, Vargo. You had me going for a while, but you went way over the top. Seriously, that many famous actors in the kind of movie you described? If you're going to make stuff up, you need at least try to make it believable.

Still, pretty funny prank on your part, right?

Right?

That was Professor Clumsy, not me. And let me assure you, Clumsy never jokes about anything. Not. Ever.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Senior Woodchuck posted:

They were probably trying to make Kentucky Fried Movie for a new group of theater-goers. In fact, the Zucker brothers (two of the three people behind KFM) were the original directors for Movie 43 along with Trey Parker and Matt Stone, but both duos dropped out at some point early on.

Then again, maybe Kentucky Fried Movie isn't the best movie to emulate, seeing as one of the sketches is about a daredevil performing the dangerous stunt of shouting "Niggers!" at a group of black men playing dice. Maybe if Movie 43 had a sketch with an excuse to show lots of boobs like KFM did, it would be remembered more fondly.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

KFM's enter the dragon parody was fantastic. I would be interested in hearing from the zucker brothers what their vision was, and when they realized it was going to be absolute irredeemable dogshit, and that it was either slap on an Alan Smithee or get out.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Y-Hat posted:

They were probably trying to make Kentucky Fried Movie for a new group of theater-goers. In fact, the Zucker brothers (two of the three people behind KFM) were the original directors for Movie 43 along with Trey Parker and Matt Stone, but both duos dropped out at some point early on.

Then again, maybe Kentucky Fried Movie isn't the best movie to emulate, seeing as one of the sketches is about a daredevil performing the dangerous stunt of shouting "Niggers!" at a group of black men playing dice. Maybe if Movie 43 had a sketch with an excuse to show lots of boobs like KFM did, it would be remembered more fondly.

Now that I think about it, the "character on TV watches two people in reality loving" bit was done in Kentucky Fried Movie, too.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Now that I think about it, the "character on TV watches two people in reality loving" bit was done in Kentucky Fried Movie, too.

And Amazon Women on the Moon, too.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Oddly the amount of scorn Movie 43 received in that review has just roused my interest in watching it. How can you possibly miss out on seeing a film sincerely suggested to be the worst movie ever made?

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I'm sad that Bob Odenkirk was, once again, somehow suckered into directing another subpar comedy (or at least one of the segments in it).

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Basically Hansel and Gretel is just like this article said it would be, plus diabetes jokes?

Really, I don't even want to watch it for "So bad, you just HAVE to watch it" novelty. I already tried that with Dead Snow and I still remember that as time wasted.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Dolash posted:

Oddly the amount of scorn Movie 43 received in that review has just roused my interest in watching it. How can you possibly miss out on seeing a film sincerely suggested to be the worst movie ever made?

You'll regret it.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Speedboat Jones posted:

Basically Hansel and Gretel is just like this article said it would be, plus diabetes jokes?

Pretty much. "He wasted her with a special move!" is basically the whole movie in a nutshell.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hansel & Gretel managed to get to #1 last weekend, surprisingly. That said, it's not exactly blockbuster movie time now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Somebody at Magnet/Magnolia apparently read Keanu Grieves' review this week, because now they're following us on Twitter.

Which is a first, I think.

• Locked thread