Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
So I am using the Random Steam Game site to choose a game and I'll play the selected game under the following conditions:

- If the game isn't in my Whatever Pile

- If the game is a sequel to a game a haven't played. If it comes up, I'll play the first game first.

- If I beat the game already.

The first game it popped up is Costume Quest. Kinda feel odd playing it during Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Costume Quest is fantastic. I couldn't put it down.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Beat: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. I wanted to see how the MW story ended and that's exactly what I got. All I have to say is like the previous MW games, there are quite a few instances of your character getting knocked down or shot during cutscenes and stumbles back on his feet with his vision blurred while a heartbeat sound plays. Some people don't care for it but I quite like it because it reinforces that your character is a human being and not just a pair of arms holding a rifle.

Beat: Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine. The combat never felt satisfying to me, particularly the health recovery mechanic. As someone who's knowledgeable about the 40k background, the story was adequate but it was apparent they had to keep it accessible to newcomers. There are better Gears of War clones out there.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Waffleopolis posted:

The first game it popped up is Costume Quest. Kinda feel odd playing it during Christmas.
Make sure you launch it on Christmas day for an :pcgaming: ~achievement~ :pcgaming:

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
Been slowly digging my way through the massive pile of games, with moderate success:

Beat - Deus Ex: Human Revolution (and The Missing Link). Pretty fun, overall. The last section of the game wasn't all that great, and the boss battles were lousy (or would have been, if I hadn't Typhooned the poo poo out of them seconds after each fight began), but those caveats aside I really enjoyed the 20-30 hours I spent on it. The Missing Link is good, but adds another five hours of gameplay to the experience, which contributed to my feeling burnt out by the end of things.

Beat - The Walking Dead. All the complaints that people have made about the diamonding of the story and there not being a lot of actual gameplay is valid, but I still liked it a lot. I played the first three episodes as they came out, and then did the last two back-to-back, and... man. I wasn't expecting a happy ending, but that was still pretty rough.

Beat - Spec Ops: The Line. What better way to follow up the downer of the ending of The Walking Dead than a third person military shooter that makes you feel like a bad person? Slitting one's wrists, maybe? It's a really pretty game, and plays decently enough, but after a while I just didn't feel good playing it. It wasn't an overt "I hate myself" feeling, but more like a subtly unpleasant sensation that would settle in as I would play. It was definitely interesting, but not anything that I'd go rushing back to anytime soon, regardless of the size of my backlog.

Beat - Shank. This was just the right length to keep me engaged, despite it only being about three hours long. If it were any longer I probably would have shelved it, so to speak. The dialogue and story were preeeeeeeetty stupid, though-- it felt like something that could be on Metalocalypse if they were taking a jab at dumb action films.

Beat - Mafia II. Oof. I was liking this fine up until the tenth or eleventh chapter, and then it just started getting tedious. The driving and shooting components are serviceable, but after a certain point serviceable just doesn't cut it, and the open world just seemed like a way of padding out the playing time with driving from one location to the next. It seemed like they ratcheted up the cheapness of the shooting sections in the last few chapters, too-- there were a few parts towards the end that I ended up having to redo nine or ten times, and they were always sandwiched between parts that were much easier comparatively. Could be that I was just getting fed up with the game by that point and was losing focus easier, but I doubt it.

Finished - Thirty Flights of Loving. I say finished rather than beat because this isn't something that you really beat. It's maybe fifteen minutes long, and it's like a slightly more interactive Dear Esther, but I still liked it quite a bit just on a presentation/storytelling front. Out of curiosity I looked at what people were saying about it on the Steam message boards afterwards, and it's pretty funny to see people bitching and saying things like "I could write seven games like this a week!" uhhhhh... no, you couldn't, and the fact that you think you could serves as pretty good proof of that.

Started - Mark of the Ninja. I've only played through the first level, but it's pretty awesome so far.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

bakersfield chimp posted:

A tonne of games cleared.

Wow, how did you find the time, or was this over the year?

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 14, 2012

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
It was more like in the last couple of months. I've found the trick is to get your significant other hooked on some other video game series that they can play on the TV while you're on the computer. Thank you, Mass Effect!

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Started - Mark of the Ninja. I've only played through the first level, but it's pretty awesome so far.

Just finished this. It's really one of the best stealth games I've ever played.

Probably back to Planetside 2 and occasional games of FTL for the time being. After Christmas and the family craziness that accompanies it, I will have some free weekends to commit to finishing The Walking Dead, of which I have played one (excellent) episode.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Having only one exam left till I'm off for the holidays, I'm finally finding time for my Backlog.

Completed: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron - Even better than the first game, with fast paced combat and vehicle transformations. Gotta love the big robot sections, where all hell breaks loose and mashing buttons becomes second nature. The final levels are the highlights, where the game switches between the Autobots and the Decepticons to show how both sides are evenly matched in the war.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Beat Borderlands 2. Uninstalling it until I buy the season pass so I don't burn out on it.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

BKPR posted:

Beat Borderlands 2. Uninstalling it until I buy the season pass so I don't burn out on it.

Maybe back it up first, rather than remove (what I can assume to be a lot of gigs) the game.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Beat - Deus Ex: Human Revolution (and The Missing Link). Pretty fun, overall. The last section of the game wasn't all that great, and the boss battles were lousy (or would have been, if I hadn't Typhooned the poo poo out of them seconds after each fight began), but those caveats aside I really enjoyed the 20-30 hours I spent on it. The Missing Link is good, but adds another five hours of gameplay to the experience, which contributed to my feeling burnt out by the end of things.

They should patch in a tooltip to let you know what the Typhoon is for. Deus Ex HR was one of my favorite games last year, but I wouldn't have liked it nearly as much if I had to run my head into all of the bosses, instead of just the first.

My Steam addiction is critical. I realized I haven't been spending much on recent sales, but only because I already own everything I want. I narrowed my backlog of games to play down to 115. I'm probably never going to clear it, but I figured posting in here would keep me honest and prevent me from just playing more Liberal Crime Squad.

I think I'm done with Dishonored. I loved reading about the crazy steampunk whale-oil driven world, but the plot didn't grab me. Corvo's motivation is driven by his relationship with the Queen and Emily, but the player isn't involved in any of it, and I was just going from mission to mission because that's what the game was telling me to do. It felt like a step backwards coming from the Walking Dead, where the player is involved with Clem and Kenny in meaningful gameplay ways, and the game puts them in danger after you care about them.

I started a new character in Dark Souls. My first two characters are level 25 after the church gargoyle fight and level 45 at Sen's fortress. I keep getting bogged down in areas and wanting to start over with a different build. Hopefully this is the one I finish the game with. I'm using DSfix this time, so it's much prettier.

I also finally got around to starting Sleeping Dogs. Not too much to say about it yet. The world feels incredibly dense and textured, the voice acting is great and it looks amazing.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I've been completely terrible at beating games this month. And what gaming time I have had, I've put it into random games I've already beaten because I was added to the Steam for Linux beta. Of note there was re-100%ing Eversion, which is still pretty cute, but don't pay more than like $1.50 for it.

Also of note: Linux is working pretty well as a gaming platform now.

I did manage to beat Sine Mora, which means that the Big Picture sale has been defeated, and before the Winter Sale even starts :woop:

Sine Mora itself was a reasonably competent side-scrolling shooter, but it rubbed me the wrong way a few times in ways that Jamestown did not. Both of them live in that sort of uncomfortable space that wants to get the best of both the R-Type and the bullet-hell worlds, and IMO Jamestown pulled it off much better.

Ether Vapor, which I also beat this month, is much cleaner than Sine Mora but it's also not even remotely trying to evoke classic shoot-'em-up gameplay.

For various silly reasons I'll only have Linux access during the holidays. That means that I should be sticking to stuff that's either available on Linux Steam or that I can finish very, very quickly.

So I'll be abandoning Dragon Age: Origins - my official A-list game - for a bit to put some time into Rochard, which I hear is over quick. Once I'm Linux-only, if I get gaming time it'll go into either Trine 2 or Penumbra: Overture.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
What part of DA:O are you in? If it's Deep Roads, then yeah, you really need to just slog through it because it takes forever.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Just finished Black Mesa. Still can't believe this was a fan-made source mod released free of charge - the whole thing was so polished and enjoyable that I'd have happily bought it full price. Really sad that it's over :(

Now to finish Minerva's Den!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Started X3:Terran Conflict. I bought this during the summer sale and I have put roughly 20 minutes of playtime from the time I bought it to today, I no longer have the patience that i used to to delve into a game like this. I have a rough idea of where to go because I am playing the Terran Defender route, I can't wait to branch out and create Outer Heaven in space.

Still on Super Meat Boy. 50 Bandages, but I haven't beaten Dr. Fetus yet.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Hurray for finishing another semester of college, now to play some old games.

Completed: Unreal 2: Awakening - Had to check, this was released in 2003. Its a decent old shooter, but it has not aged well,. It really does not look good. Theres also a lot of bad design choices, like your run speed is ridiculously slow, forcing you to bunny-hop, a lean function that is completely useless and a shield that can take so much damage that the game feels too easy. Glad I took out a few hours to clear it.

[EDIT] Completed: Blueberry Garden - A charming little indie game where you race to survive the flood. Not much to it, still enjoyable.

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 17, 2012

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Finally beat Saint's Row The Third :unsmith:. Listening to Power during the credits was so loving awesome.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Chief Savage Man posted:

What part of DA:O are you in? If it's Deep Roads, then yeah, you really need to just slog through it because it takes forever.

Ha ha, no, I just got out of Lothering. I've been warned about Deep Roads, and been told that I should probably go check out the Circle of Magi first.

I just dislike everyone except the puppy, who gets the better of all the in-party conversations, but he isn't useful enough in combat to justify keeping around.

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

I was carefully preparing myself for the Steam Christmas sale, and completely got blindsided by the GOG sale. I fell of the wagon... hard. I'm up to 761 unfinished games and I'm afraid I'll never climb out of this hole.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Don't worry, if that sale is any indication, the world will end soon and we may not survive the meteor / earthquakes / bird flu. So no Backlog to worry about.

I fear this Winter Sale will be a tough one, I have my wishlist all set up and will try stick to it, but I have a feeling some flash deal or similar will lead me astray.

Mmann
Dec 1, 2007

Kyoon Was Right
12/21/12

VisAbsoluta posted:

This might not be a good idea, since for some reason They Bleed Pixel remains as one of the few games I bought, played for two chapters and rage quit forever.

Man you were not kidding, that game gets rough in a real hurry.
I'm gonna finish it but definitely not sitting down and playing it through all at once.

Took a break from They Bleed Pixels to play me some Mass Effect.
Beat 1, 2, and 3 in the last couple weeks and I have to say that the ending to the trilogy was far less annoying to me than the new recurring villain they add. I love fights where I take no damage only to then lose in a cut-scene! Lets do that multiple times.

A really good series of games that hits some really high points, but when it did stumble it managed to feel like it was falling flat on its face.

My Origin collection is 100% beaten now.
Steam still sitting at 33% beaten.. hopefully that number goes up instead of down during the Winter Sale.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Completed Psychonauts: I'm finally done with this game. I don't know why I feel the need to collect everything 100% in these types of games, but I did it. I guess it's an indication of the quality of the game if you don't want to put it down until you've wrung every last gameplay element out of it.

Beat Toki Tori: I installed this during last year's summer sale to get a ticket or something, and I figured I should finish it out before uninstalling it. Not bad for casual puzzle/platforming. Some of the later hard levels get crazy challenging, though.

I like the idea of getting through my installed games before starting something new, so here comes a load of random small games I installed to get carnival tickets / winter coal.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Beat Jolly Rover. It was OK, but not good enough to play again. The autosave did more harm than good, missed a bonus item? You're hosed, start again! Not getting all the achievements, I'm done with this one.

Mr. Tetsuo
Jun 6, 2011

And just once, before I die, I'd like to be Supreme Overlord of Earth. So rebel, my little ones, and conquer the planet!
Finished Saints Row The Third: was a lot more fun than I initially imagined. It has some rather unexpected missions and the last one got all my love for the visuals, song and script.

Gave up on Space Pirate and Zombies: After 30h+ into the game I can't figure out a way to progress to the inner systems. Kept coming back to the easier systems to farm rez in order to be raped again and again.

Started Syder Arcade: Loving it so far. Very cool music, nice mechanic that lets you change directions and the minimap to show where the bad guys are. Its rather short, so I'll probably finish it on normal tonight.

Still playing Binding of Isaac, missing about 6 challenges and to finish The Chest with everyone but Isaac and Cain. Not playing that much lately though.

Endless Space and Sine Mora are on hold for the time being.

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

Dick will make you slap somebody!
I can finally post more beaten games!

Alan Wake: I really didn't like this game. It was really repetitive, and the story wasn't all that great. I also couldn't get the hang of combat for some reason.

Assassin't Creed: Revelations: They made a lot of gameplay changes I really hated, and didn't introduce anything to make up for that.

Spec Ops the Line: This game was definitely the "experience" that everyone says when they beat it. It's not worth another playthrough, but it was completely worth my time.

I'm on the last chapter of Alan Wake's American Nightmare, and i'll admit that so far the combat is A LOT better. Now the problem is that I have to do the same thing over and over for every level.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Had some time to kill and played Trine through in a couple of sittings (maybe 4 hours total).

It was fun enough. The controls get a little lovely, using analogue Xbox sticks it all feels a little slippery and inconsistent compared to say Rayman Origins, I guess it's a product of the game being more physics based. The swarms of bats that show up constantly get a little tiresome.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

BEAT: Rochard: I was not particularly a fan of this game. I think I'm starting to come around to the opinion that I find physics-based puzzle platformers kind of annoying, and this just felt like a long string of tepid, uninteresting puzzles after the veneer wore off. Decent production values, but the story goes nowhere, and the most interesting setpiece is lost in the metallic hallways inherent in the rest of the game's levels. And any sense of progression from upgrading your gun is undercut by the fact that maybe one or two puzzles utilize each of the specialized powers you acquire (of which there are three total). It was a competent game, but not what I would really call 'fun.' Also, the sky police are gay stereotypes for no reason- boo.

I was going to play Trine, but as I said, I'm a bit leery of puzzle platformers right now, so I decided to settle in with some Alpha Protocol instead. I was gifted it years ago from a goon and didn't have a very good first impression of the combat elements of the game when I first got it. Playing it now, stealth and combat's not the greatest, but it's not as bad as I thought they were, and the timing-based decisions you make which branch out the story have been a lot of fun. I'm really enjoying it so far- I think if the stealth and combat were a bit less janky, this would've been more well regarded by critics.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It should have been more apparent how stealth worked. You have sound dampening which determines how far your sound travels but the game didn't communicate that people can still hear you while crouching (which is contrary to every stealth game ever created) so you had people wondering why enemies hear them 10 feet away even though they're "sneaking." The tutorial covers the basic but doesn't talk about your stats at all and that's wrong.

Combat is almost exactly like Mass Effect 1 but AP's biggest fault is coming out after ME2 which critics widely praised for the combat. The best tip here is to aim at center mass (unless going for a crit headshot) and make sure whatever your aiming at takes up the entirety of your bullseye. Yes, engagements are at very short range unless you're using a rifle but that's just how the game works. And forget about sticky cover, it's worthless.

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP
Beat Amnesia: The Dark Descent (gifted to me by the powerful and handsome Saoshyant). 7 hours of gameplay but it seriously took me a month of wall time because a.) I have no time for gaming anymore and b.) the game is loving terrifying. Although I will say that by the time you are halfway through you start to recognize the "rhythm" of the game and know when it's going to throw another scare at you. But it's still scary even when you know something's about to happen, and the first couple of hours are an incredibly intense experience.

Up next, Saint's Row: The Third and back to Crusader Kings II to try out a Byzantine ruler this time.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Beat: Bad Rats. I am a King. I thought there were 50 stages, there were only 44. Stages 34 and 36 gave me the most trouble. I will never play this game again.

Also Beat: Rochard Fun game The ending sucked and was a cliffhanger and well yeah the game just kind of ended.

Also also beat a few days ago: Zeno Clash was cool and the world was really alien and weird in a good way. There was more shooting than I thought there would be, but yeah I had fun punching people.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I, too, recently finished up Rochard, and I'm totally not buying that this is the most sophisticated game ever made using the Unity Engine.

I also spent some time on Street Fighter X Mega Man, which was hilarious but which got too obnoxious to continue playing near the end. Oh well.

Now I'm poking at Giana Sisters again.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Been playing the Freespace Open set.

Finished the Freespace 1 port, a game that's aged remarkably well and I can't help but love how it shifts gears from 'story-light arcadey game' to something actually very serious and dramatic pretty much the moment the Shivans arrive.

But Nulling Silent Threat: Reborn at the last loving mission. It finally reached a point I just couldn't keep accepting, despite pretty good production and a clear love of the games, the guys that remade this have no clue how Freespace made difficult missions. The only thing that makes the final mission hard is that the big superdestroyer you're fighting gets fighter reinforcement. The only thing that makes the mission painfully irritating and stupid is that the big superdestroyer you're fighting gets infinite fighter reinforcement.

Booting up the good old, un-ruinable Freespace 2 next. At least I'm ending on a high note.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Ahaha, this topic is still alive!

...I have so many games to update onto my backlog. :smithicide:

Over the past few days I've beaten:
  • Wolfenstein
  • Far Cry 3
  • Hard Reset
  • Painkiller: Recurring Evil

On my "now playing" I have Metro which I'm certainly going to target next, but I've had a long list of shooters just done and only more to go through, so I might put myself on a small break. I'm currently loving around in Sleeping Dogs, enjoying the pretty stuff and trying to get as many extras as I can, because I was/am annoyed by the stupid XP system in place and lackluster upgrades.

I'm going to start updating :siren:My Games List:siren: to reflect on the games I somehow picked up over the past few months while my comp died. Are there any you can recommend that are really short, yet not sucky?

Mmann
Dec 1, 2007

Kyoon Was Right
12/21/12

Morter posted:

I'm going to start updating :siren:My Games List:siren: to reflect on the games I somehow picked up over the past few months while my comp died. Are there any you can recommend that are really short, yet not sucky?

I saw you have Blocks That Matter unfinished.
Not sure how it will play if you don't have a controller, because the controller felt completely natural to how it played for me, but its not very long at all (I've beaten it twice and also did some of the bonus stuff, and my playtime clocks in at 8 hours) and I had a great time with it.

It's one of the few platformers I've ever gone back and replayed to get achievements and collectibles in.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
With the sales going on, my Backlog will be so huge. But I might as well complete some in the progress.

Completed: Spec Ops: The Line - Well, this game lived up to the hype here in the thread. Its brutal, horrifying and will make you look at military shooters and think PTSD is rampant in the military. But yeah, go play it now.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
Yesterday I finished Bad Rats. Definitively not as bad as people make it seem to be. The annoyance of the random physics is there but it's doable.

Today I finished Hotline Miami and loved every single bit of it. It's fast paced and quite enjoyable plus the soundtrack is awesome. Looking forward to any DLC for this game.

I just started Ys Origin let's see where that takes me.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Completed Puzzle Agent. Ending was kind of a let down. I figured it would resolve everything and then the second game would be a different "case". Not so.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Talk about reality check, after seeing this chart I think it's time I put some serious effort into playing some of my poo poo, my god it's so bad...

Dafuq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

I guess I'm doing a little better, but still...