Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Krad posted:

All I remember about Jin is that he was no Citan. :colbert:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Seriously, gently caress Citan. Dude was the biggest monster in the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

W.T. Fits posted:

Seriously, gently caress Citan. Dude was the biggest monster in the entire game.

With some sweet moves, though!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Before FF13 came along, Xenosaga Ep I was The Biggest Anime.

Just look at those dead vacant eyes, god drat.

It also had not one, not two, but FOUR characters who were the whole "older than they look on the outside" thing. Fortunately one of them was an actual adult.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

W.T. Fits posted:

Which made him way more interesting than Mr. "Wah, wah, I can't get along with my sister."

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

It's fun to imagine that Margulis' enraged "UZUKIIII!!!!" is because the actor was playing Xenogears while recording.

But regardless, Dunban is the best Xeno sword dude. :colbert:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

W.T. Fits posted:

Which is why he was such an interesting character, general kickassery notwithstanding.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Fister Roboto posted:

I used to think that too. And then I watched Asura's Wrath, and realised that XIII at least had you playing a game, not watching DBZ the un-cut super anime, that puts XIII and even the MGS games to shame in the cutscene to gameplay ratio. :psyduck:

[e]: Oh yeah, I found it more compelling and clearer than XIII at least. It had the best way to deal with Machine-Gods too. If they aren't dying, YOU AREN'T HITTING THEM ENOUGH WITH LIAM O'BRIAN YELLING! :black101:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 21, 2012

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

I used to think that too. And then I watched Asura's Wrath, and realised that XIII at least had you playing a game, not watching DBZ the un-cut super anime, that puts XIII and even the MGS games to shame in the cutscene to gameplay ratio. :psyduck:

Asura's Wrath might have been a single glorified QTE, but at least it had a clear design path. Cyberconnect wanted to re-enact What Is Most Kawaii In Life with a multi-million budget and they were gonna do it as hard as they could. The Adventures Of Punchy McScreamerson still have the player way more invested than the half-assed, disconnected navel-gazing in FFXIII or Xenosaga.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
I was way more entertained with Asura's Wrath than I ever was with Xenosaga.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Xenosaga Episodes 1, 2, and 3 are at best playing through the worst parts of Evangelion for 90+ hours coupled with the last act being similar to Prometheus. Including the inability to fully tie itself to the source material. When you get to the part in the old house that's painted white that also doesn't really exist it just goes downhill from there.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Just look at those dead vacant eyes, god drat.

It also had not one, not two, but FOUR characters who were the whole "older than they look on the outside" thing. Fortunately one of them was an actual adult.

Well everyone always complains that JRPG protagonists are too young. Ziggy is over a 100, chaos is some ridiculous age, Jin was in his thirties, I think Jr. was something like around late 20s and then you had Shion who was early 20s. Only MOMo was really young.

W.T. Fits posted:

I never felt strongly about Citan one way or another. The reaction to him in the Gears LP was kinda baffling with people either loving or hating him.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

NikkolasKing posted:

Well everyone always complains that JRPG protagonists are too young. Ziggy is over a 100, chaos is some ridiculous age, Jin was in his thirties, I think Jr. was something like around late 20s and then you had Shion who was early 20s. Only MOMo was really young.

It doesn't matter what their written age is, it's the fact that they LOOK like literal children.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SpazmasterX posted:

I was way more entertained with Asura's Wrath than I ever was with Xenosaga.

Seriously, Asura's Wrath completely fucks up in gameplay, but holy poo poo does it have a pretty good story when you look beyond all of the anime tropes. gently caress man, Asura and Yasha are like two of the most well written rival characters in a long drat time.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It's got probably one of my favourite final boss designs (and music), and it makes really interesting use of the QTEs during that last battle. Some drat good VA too.

[e]: That, on the other hand, makes me wish the Apocalypse nutjobs were right, just to erase it from existance.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 21, 2012

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Fister Roboto posted:

On the other hand, Star Ocean 4.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I really enjoyed playing Xenogears until it became a 10 hour infodump, but the first Xenosaga is a really confusing and frankly upsetting game to play. A bunch of random poo poo happens and it seems to only appeal to massive anime fans or people who were dumb enough to think that it'd be as fun as Xenogears (like me).

Did the series get any better?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

1st AD posted:

I really enjoyed playing Xenogears until it became a 10 hour infodump, but the first Xenosaga is a really confusing and frankly upsetting game to play. A bunch of random poo poo happens and it seems to only appeal to massive anime fans or people who were dumb enough to think that it'd be as fun as Xenogears (like me).

No. Not it really doesn't.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

1st AD posted:

It's actually less confusing than Xenogears in my opinion. It's also not as interesting but eh.

And while Xenosaga III is a bit more straightforward than Episode I, I really don't consider it better except in terms of music and mech combat.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I'm about to play FF8 again since it first came out, and was wondering if there was a comprehensive guide on the best way to break the batte/experience system. I remember hearing things like if you keep Squall dead your party will level up but the monsters wont, and something about abusing the GF summons.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

1st AD posted:

I had the same problem you had with Xenosaga, wrote off the series, and begrudgingly picked up Xenoblade.

It's my favorite RPG since FF VII.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I bought all 3 Xenosaga games at the same time, got maybe 2 hours into the first game and realized the majority of it had been cutscene and they've been gathering dust on a shelf ever since.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ConanThe3rd posted:

That just looked jankey. It's like they just don't care anymore (and to be honest, I wouldn't put it past SE to not care anymore).

You know what, Just give the next FF to Level-5, I think it's time for a DQ 8 of Final Fantasy.

You mean DQ9 of Final Fantasy? DQ8 was rather bland even if it was their first move in to a 3D game. Aside from DQ9 going even more over the top on bad British puns and scripting, the game's engine was better and it has probably the best multiplayer system of any game in the last decade.

NikkolasKing posted:

I'll have you know the FF2 Party succeeded in their goals of getting the Mythril and Sunfire and the last Wyvern and the Ultima spell and probably a lot of other things too.
Sure, 99% of it didn't matter but it's still better than failing at everything.

Isn't it?

The FFX Party didn't fail at much. I attribute this to having a set objective from the onset of the game.

"we need this mighty Ultima spell to defeat the Emperor!"
*uses Toad lvl 16 or the Blood Sword instead because Ultima is weaker than Holy/Flare unless you grind the sweet gently caress out of the caster's weapon/magic levels*

Then you play the extra dungeon and Scott just buffs everyone with the Wild Rose and they melee the boss dead in 2 rounds because Berserk's damage buff makes attack magic useless and the Wild Rose casts Berserk XVI.

The characters in FF6 manage to get most of their goals. It just doesn't help that some of their goals are the result of the Emperor playing them like chumps to open the Gate. This is all kind of negated by Kefka destroying the world, though.

Mazed posted:

I think you're either only remembering Albedo, Margulis, and Ziggy, or you're thinking of Xenoblade. While was great, because even though it was full of anime melodrama, they had the VAs approach like a stage production.

Xenoblade made me glad I had a Wii and that it still worked after years of disuse. Riki sneaky.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
So question.

I finally got around to getting to the final boss of FF 13 - 2 (the three Bahamuts - I'm not even spoiling it because of how retarded it is, it's not like it had anything to do with the game anyways), and they kicked my poo poo in because I was underlevelled(I think). Used some attack called Broken Sun that did more damage then any of my characters had max health.

Where is the best place to go to level up / get overpowered monster friends to beat them up with?

So far I think I actually like 13 - 2. It gets a lot of hate for some reason that I don't really understand.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pesky Splinter posted:

[e]: Oh yeah, I found it more compelling and clearer than XIII at least. It had the best way to deal with Machine-Gods too. If they aren't dying, YOU AREN'T HITTING THEM ENOUGH WITH LIAM O'BRIAN YELLING! :black101:
VVV

Playing western games, i am often outraged at the lack of cutscenes, actually.
outraged, i swear.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

No. Not it really doesn't.

I'd say it does. They ditched the creepy porcelain doll look, the voice acting improved, the cutscene direction improved, and the gameplay became faster and more fun. Unfortunately they ditched Yasunori Mitsuda for music, but Yuki Kajiura did some good stuff. At the end of Ep 2 they were leading up to some pretty cool things, but then in Ep 3 it was blatantly suffering from "poo poo guys, we gotta wrap this all up now" syndrome.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

goldjas posted:

So question.

I finally got around to getting to the final boss of FF 13 - 2 (the three Bahamuts - I'm not even spoiling it because of how retarded it is, it's not like it had anything to do with the game anyways), and they kicked my poo poo in because I was underlevelled(I think). Used some attack called Broken Sun that did more damage then any of my characters had max health.

Where is the best place to go to level up / get overpowered monster friends to beat them up with?

So far I think I actually like 13 - 2. It gets a lot of hate for some reason that I don't really understand.

I had this exact same problem too, I felt I was underleveled so I basically just took a step back and got some new dudes, built up a fat stack of potent items and just went to town on my Chichu and I think my ravager of choice was the Blue Chocobo. I forgot what my third dude was, but I think it might have been a sentinel.

The best strategy is to just do what you've been doing and should he should pull out his bullshit flares then all you gotta do is switch right to all sentinel and then heal after you block it. The fight's more of a war attrition if your recruited monsters aren't up to snuff, but you know what to do against Dragon Caius' stuff.

Oh but Dying Sun... even after I was well leveled and had some good monsters that loving attack wrecked my poo poo, I never figured out how to respond to it I just had enough health to survive it and heal everything up. The attack comes out wayyy too quickly for you to properly respond, so your best bet is to hopefully catch the attack in time to switch to an all sentinel or medic paradigm and get to healing.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 21, 2012

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
i don't think you're meant to get in a Broken Sun, if that's the triple-attack.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Your Gay Uncle posted:

So I'm about to play FF8 again since it first came out, and was wondering if there was a comprehensive guide on the best way to break the batte/experience system. I remember hearing things like if you keep Squall dead your party will level up but the monsters wont, and something about abusing the GF summons.

Get Card-RF from Shiva before going to Ifrit's Cave, kill fish on the beach, refine Fish Fins into 100 Water, junction to Squall's STR, never worry about levels, win game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No, the flares are the combination attacks. Dying Sun is an attack Jet Bahamut will summon out of his rear end when he gets low on health and it has very little startup, no tell besides the name and it wrecks your poo poo even at higher levels. It's not impossible to comeback from but it's such a surprise that you will more than likely be screwed over by it a few times.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

No, the flares are the combination attacks. Dying Sun is an attack Jet Bahamut will summon out of his rear end when he gets low on health and it has very little startup, no tell besides the name and it wrecks your poo poo even at higher levels. It's not impossible to comeback from but it's such a surprise that you will more than likely be screwed over by it a few times.

Yeah Jet was by himself and at around 1/3 hp when he used it - I basically thought I had the game won then BAM, attack from nowhere that did more health then my character's max.

Edit: Anyways I still don't know where to go to level up and stuff. The last area isn't really a choice, half the enemies there are so strong they just straight up kill me for some reason(?), and don't seem to give that much CP besides.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 21, 2012

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been strongly considering replaying FFIX recently, since I didn't understand everything when I was younger and don't remember everything in it (but still remember it as my favorite Final Fantasy game), and am now good enough to beat it without running into major problems like I used to. (I was too young to understand that I needed to level up more to beat the hard bosses.) Wonder how it'll stand up now.

Tangent, this is probably a hopeless dream but I really, really want to see Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles ported to a modern system with online multiplayer. I loved that game but not being able to play it with friends (though I tried, I even bought four of those drat cables, several times over the years as I lost them and such) kind of sucked. Doesn't even need other new features or upgraded graphics, just bring it back again. Please, Square-Enix? For me? I don't want to have to buy those cables again and scrounge up some old GBAs so I can force three hapless people to play with me, but I will. I totally will. Please don't make me do this, SE.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Roland Jones posted:

I've been strongly considering replaying FFIX recently, since I didn't understand everything when I was younger and don't remember everything in it (but still remember it as my favorite Final Fantasy game), and am now good enough to beat it without running into major problems like I used to. (I was too young to understand that I needed to level up more to beat the hard bosses.) Wonder how it'll stand up now.
I just finished replaying it (ok I finished it 3 or 4 months ago but with RPGs that might as well have been yesterday) and it stood up really well. Disc 1 is a little slow, and always has been as far as I can remember. After that though, it becomes the best Final Fantasy the Playstation had to offer. Of course, all Playstation Final Fantasies suffer from load times to one extent or another, but IX might be the slowest, if only with starting fights. It takes at least 5 seconds, up to 10, between getting in an encounter and the ATB advancing, only to lead to delays from prolonged attack animations. If you can take the wait, though, it delivers.

Roland Jones posted:

Tangent, this is probably a hopeless dream but I really, really want to see Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles ported to a modern system with online multiplayer. I loved that game but not being able to play it with friends (though I tried, I even bought four of those drat cables, several times over the years as I lost them and such) kind of sucked. Doesn't even need other new features or upgraded graphics, just bring it back again. Please, Square-Enix? For me? I don't want to have to buy those cables again and scrounge up some old GBAs so I can force three hapless people to play with me, but I will. I totally will. Please don't make me do this, SE.

I don't understand why they didn't make a Wii>DS version of it, they can connect without wires and almost everyone who plays games has a DS (or two). Hopefully we'll get a true sequel with the WiiU/3DS, I know I'd buy it and/or pressure my friends to buy a 3DS for it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'm still looking for someone who might know a (big) thing or two about hardware modding so I can GBA link cable port-ify a DS since those already natively have the GBA BIOS anyway. The Gamecube is a bad motherfuckin' piece of hardware, but GBAs... I think a good number of them have either reached the end of their life cycles, or the town dump. My sister had both a GBA-fat and an SP and they're both completely broken. Won't switch on, nothin'. My SP still works--albeit with a bunch of dust underneath the screen, however that even happened--because I've always taken good care of my hardware, but who knows how long that'll last.

I guess Nintendo underestimated the lifespans of their titles without considering the lifespan of all the requisite systems. I'm still really surprised that they didn't have a link cable port on the DS in the first place.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.

goldjas posted:

Edit: Anyways I still don't know where to go to level up and stuff. The last area isn't really a choice, half the enemies there are so strong they just straight up kill me for some reason(?), and don't seem to give that much CP besides.

Academia 400 AF is good. Battles can yield about 400CP per battle and they're over in less than 10-20 seconds.

If you're at the end of the area, near the gate, you can leave by jumping down slopes. Then you can just run around as there's tons of encounters and no matter where you go they're with the giant Cie'th and flying Cie'th, no more of that 1CP bullcrap that started at the beginning of that area,

Might as well walk all the way back to the map lady, if you're going to be getting all of the fragments, too.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Lance Streetman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT2GRpwwS8M

Some people genuinely think this is an attractive character trait.

Why do they even need to type that out in the subtitles. You know what, nevermind.

goldjas posted:

Yeah Jet was by himself and at around 1/3 hp when he used it - I basically thought I had the game won then BAM, attack from nowhere that did more health then my character's max.

I think you have just enough time to switch to a Sentinel paradigm. That should reduce the damage. I was underlevelled when I beat him and I survived most of his bullshit switching to an all-sentinel paradigm.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 21, 2012

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Hey everyone who's been bitching, Dimensions is on Android.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Final Fantasy II is also up.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
$20? Anyone know if this is the full game? Because I remember the full iOS game costing $30.

Either way, I'm happy as hell it's finally hitting Android. I'll probably pick it up soon regardless. Bought it.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 21, 2012

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
Does II still have its... unique little battle system? Either way, I'm quite glad to see more FFs show up on Android. I'm looking forward to IV whenever it hits.

So I've decided to be masochistic and play through FFVIII again over Christmas. Does anybody have any fun and exciting ways to totally break the game?

LordZoric fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Bear Sleuth posted:

Hey everyone who's been bitching, Dimensions is on Android.

Do you guys think it'll hold at $20 or go back up to $30 after the Christmas sale?