Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Ender.uNF posted:

Well Dallas got hosed but those in SF should rejoice (and actually start seeing LTE pop up).

Approximately 390 updated sites today in: SF Bay (68), Chicago (35), PR/VI (33), Washington DC (26), Shentel (24), Atlanta/Athens (22), New York City (17), South Bay (17), Boston (15), Baltimore (14), San Diego (13), Nashville (12), Georgia (10), VT/NH/ME (9), Kansas (8), Orange County (7), LA Metro (6), Alabama (5), Miami/West Palm (5), Northern Jersey (5), Upstate NY Central (5), Indianapolis (4), North LA (4), Providence (4), Houston (3), Memphis (3), Colorado (2), Minnesota (2), Myrtle Beach (2), Tampa (2), Charlotte (1), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (1), Long Island (1), Northern Connecticut (1), North Wisconsin (1), Orlando (1), Philadelphia Metro (1), Southern Jersey (1).

Nothing for me this time. Why does Raleigh/Durham get like one tower updated every two weeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I know the metro Phoenix area is a sprawly pit, but come on.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Why is DE on the "eh..." list? I swear my phone must be loving with me because twice I've seen it say LTE before it switches to wifi. Right after I switch the wifi off LTE is never found ever again. Now, I'd be more inclined to believe I've got an active LTE tower near my home if when I stepped out my house it actually went to LTE.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Someone reported this thread for "Useless complaining about tower rollouts" to which I reply:

what the gently caress else is there to talk about in a Sprint thread?!

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
The Sprint Megathread: Useless Complaining About Tower Rollouts

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
We can... be pre-2012 and bitch and moan about how bad the service is and how slow it is? Lack of iPhones?

I don't know WHAT THE gently caress ELSE CAN WE TALK ABOUT RIGHT NOW? I mean this thread is already almost the Sprint Android thread but you don't see me pissing myself over that.

Maybe speculate about a Kyocera Echo 2 that has FOUR loving SCREENS?

Really though there is not much else to talk about at the moment. I don't get what this person was bitching about.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

thisdude23 posted:

The Sprint Megathread: Useless Complaining About Tower Rollouts

I was going to suggest another comedy name but hey, looks like we got this one.

And yes, Sprint has basically been giving the Phoenix metro the finger since before they started down the WiMAX path.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I find it hilarious that I went from barely usable 3G service at work to 10 megabit down completely usable 4G LTE since switching phones. The S3 definitely has better reception than the Evo 3D did, and even crappy 4G is still a ton better than the average 3G I was seeing before.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint apparently hates Philadelphia (I kind of do too).

Normally I would say no but if the shoe fits...

sirbeefalot posted:

LA Metro slowing down nooo... (just finish Glendale come on guys)

e; Actually Glendale might be part of North LA I guess.

This happens from time to time. It doesn't mean they stopped working, just that Sprint hasn't inspected and approved the towers as "complete". In markets they have announced, they generally bring the towers online even before final inspection but unfortunately they tend to block LTE in the non-launched markets so you may see LTE pop up for a few days then disappear.

For the record Dallas was getting 1-5 towers a week for some time, then had a bit 36+ tower update, then several weeks of 8-15 towers. I'm hoping this slowdown means another big update in the future.

Gilok posted:

Nothing for me this time. Why does Raleigh/Durham get like one tower updated every two weeks?

Backhaul installation delays, equipment delivery delays, permitting, weather, all the contractors are busy in other markets, leaving only Uncle Joe Bob to install his one tower a week? At least you don't live in Phoenix!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Someone reported this thread for "Useless complaining about tower rollouts" to which I reply:

Considering Network Vision is the #2 biggest issue affecting Sprint in its entire history (from which the Softbank deal, bid for Clearwire, cock-blocking of Dish Network, etc all derive)... :v:

#1 would be the loving disaster that was acquiring Nextel, which drove the current #2 by shutting Sprint out of acquisition sprees and spectrum auctions. The old #2 was not having the iPhone, thus bleeding high-profit customers all over the floor, but that's been rectified.

Turnquiet posted:

I know the metro Phoenix area is a sprawly pit, but come on.

Sucks to be you! Despite Phoenix being a location for a backup network core (where the backhaul lines dump in, calls get routed, etc) for the west and southwest regions... it isn't even on the NV schedule yet so don't expect LTE until the second-half of 2013 at the earliest.

brc64 posted:

I find it hilarious that I went from barely usable 3G service at work to 10 megabit down completely usable 4G LTE since switching phones. The S3 definitely has better reception than the Evo 3D did, and even crappy 4G is still a ton better than the average 3G I was seeing before.

Yeah the 3G network is unusable completely now; whenever I'm out and about I pray the status bar says LTE, otherwise I just put my phone away and forget about what I was gonna do.

Simulated fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 18, 2012

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Ender.uNF posted:

VT/NH/ME (9)

At least one of these had to have been in Portland. I've been getting noticeably better 3G signal the past couple days. Speeds are about the same - I've always been able to get around 1MB/1MB - but I actually left 3G on at work today without my battery dropping 1% a minute. it's almost making me reconsider leaving Sprint when my contract is up. If there's LTE here before then, I'll really have to think about it.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Ender.uNF posted:

Yeah the 3G network is unusable completely now; whenever I'm out and about I pray the status bar says LTE, otherwise I just put my phone away and forget about what I was gonna do.

So this is why internet on my Epic 4G is only usable when I have wimax 4G turned on now. And I'm still 3 months from an upgrade, but apparently Harrisburg already has LTE installed.

:argh: Sprint why must you be so damned affordable.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I wish the Metro Detroit area was getting LTE sometime in the not-so-far future, but nope. Nothing. No inkling of activity. At this rate I won't see anything until the middle of 2013 or later. That wait is too long and my speeds are abysmal in the suburbs here. It's even worse because Chicago's LTE is incredible the few times I'm there.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Killer Queen posted:

I wish the Metro Detroit area was getting LTE sometime in the not-so-far future, but nope. Nothing. No inkling of activity. At this rate I won't see anything until the middle of 2013 or later. That wait is too long and my speeds are abysmal in the suburbs here. It's even worse because Chicago's LTE is incredible the few times I'm there.

I know...I had a layover in Chicago flying from Detroit to Missouri, and had blazing speeds there. Made me angry. :(

Same thing happened with my Evo 4g years ago, layover in Philadelphia.

What's worse is I now have a work Verizon phone, and the speeds are so much better than my Galaxy S3. Too bad I can't really use it for anything. :(

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Killer Queen posted:

Chicago speeds are ridiculous. Every time I visit I never want to leave.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

thelightguy posted:

So this is why internet on my Epic 4G is only usable when I have wimax 4G turned on now. And I'm still 3 months from an upgrade, but apparently Harrisburg already has LTE installed.

:argh: Sprint why must you be so damned affordable.

Buy out your upgrade, or just buy a galaxy nexus (sprint version), for $200 no contract and save your upgrade?

And yeah, what the hell else should sprint users talk about is beyond me.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

This thread has been a constant bitch thread since the Hero/Moment came out.

Ender, when a tower is listed on your list as completed should we be able to get improved 3g speeds, or do we have to wait until LTE is turned on? For reference I'm referring to Phoenix which has 1 tower complete.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

ZeroAX posted:

Ender, when a tower is listed on your list as completed should we be able to get improved 3g speeds, or do we have to wait until LTE is turned on? For reference I'm referring to Phoenix which has 1 tower complete.
I'd be surprised if the other carrier threads weren't full of other types of bitching. For Sprint, their network has been one of their biggest problems for a while now.

Ender.uNF posted:

The difference is staggering. In addition to having an overall superior device, I feel like I'm on a completely different carrier most of the time now. I did do a little roaming in Allen (why is Watters Creek such a horrible dead spot?), but things have been good otherwise.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

brc64 posted:

The difference is staggering. In addition to having an overall superior device, I feel like I'm on a completely different carrier most of the time now. I did do a little roaming in Allen (why is Watters Creek such a horrible dead spot?), but things have been good otherwise.

I noticed that when I was eating lunch in Market Street there a week ago. It's odd because you go a little ways in almost any direction and reception is fine. Hell go one exit further north and you have LTE that's around a solid 15down/5up.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

ZeroAX posted:

The short version is maybe.

When they upgrade a tower, they upgrade the backhaul at that tower. As far as I know, almost all the towers have their 1X and 3G equipment hooked up to that new backhaul immediately. However not all the vendors are installing the 3G/LTE equipment simultaneously so a bunch of towers have the old 3G cabinet sitting there next to the LTE cabinet, meaning you won't see stronger 3G signals yet, etc until everything gets switched over. But the #1 problem has been backhaul so there should be immediate improvements.

The second part of that is 3G obviously has 100% coverage, LTE does not. Typically you get 100% coverage when you have half the towers done, but the LTE signal will be weaker, have gaps, and more users on the same cell, etc. When your phone drops back to 3G it can move to a non-upgraded tower, in which case you'll move from the 1-bar 2-3Mbps LTE signal to dial up 3G immediately.

Summary: if you have Sprint, get an LTE device as soon as they start putting up towers in your area. When on LTE, you'll feel like Sprint has a functioning network again (because it does!)

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Ender.uNF posted:

Summary: if you have Sprint, get an LTE device as soon as they start putting up towers in your area. When on LTE, you'll feel like Sprint has a functioning network again (because it does!)

Yeah, now that there's decent LTE coverage here in KC, being a Sprint customer is a lot less painful. I think they've also started flipping the switch on the new 1X/3G equipment at towers that had previously been turned on for LTE. Voice/3G coverage seems to be much better in some areas than it used to be.

chizad fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 19, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I can't seem to find where I read it, and I don't think it was mentioned in the thread, but Sprint is supposedly shutting down the Upgrade Now program "temporarily". No clue if or when it'll come back or why they are stopping it.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I can't seem to find where I read it, and I don't think it was mentioned in the thread, but Sprint is supposedly shutting down the Upgrade Now program "temporarily". No clue if or when it'll come back or why they are stopping it.

Hopefully to make it a little more predictable and official. It can be a huge pain as a rep when someone's termination fee is lower than their upgrade now fee. Also we keep having to have customers call I to get the offer added to their account t or to get customer service to charge it to their account and refresh the eligibility so the customer can do a bogo.

Giblet fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 19, 2012

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/18/sprint-pauses-its-upgrade-now-program/

Looks like they have (temporarily?) discontinued the upgrade now program, which sucks. I was hoping to finally use it Jan 1st to upgrade to an S3 from my Evo3D.

It says to "check in time to time" to see if the program has been reinstated. Yeah... keep coming in to check until your upgrade is actually available most likely.

Edit: Maybe I should refresh after having a tab open for an hour.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

uapyro posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/18/sprint-pauses-its-upgrade-now-program/

Looks like they have (temporarily?) discontinued the upgrade now program, which sucks. I was hoping to finally use it Jan 1st to upgrade to an S3 from my Evo3D.

It says to "check in time to time" to see if the program has been reinstated. Yeah... keep coming in to check until your upgrade is actually available most likely.

Edit: Maybe I should refresh after having a tab open for an hour.

drat am I glad I don't sell for sprint anymore. That was a good chunk of sales.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
Jesus am I glad I was able to buy my upgrade for $45 and grab a phone.

Sprint perks :(

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I love my HTC Arrive (Windows Phone) and it blows that it got dropped, Sprint won't push OS updates, and no Phone 8 handsets are announced.
:)

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Just got a SGS3. The voicemail app is confusing. Is visual voicemail free, but the transcription costs extra, or does visual voicemail cost money as well?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
VVM is free, it's the transcribing that costs money.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

UnbornApple posted:

Just got a SGS3. The voicemail app is confusing. Is visual voicemail free, but the transcription costs extra, or does visual voicemail cost money as well?

Just use Google Voice for your voicemail. You'll get the transcription for free, and you can check it from your computer.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ryanbruce posted:

VVM is free, it's the transcribing that costs money.

This.

Medullah posted:

Just use Google Voice for your voicemail. You'll get the transcription for free, and you can check it from your computer.

Plus this.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Will do. So I know Sprint works differently with Google Voice. Can someone explain the difference like I was 5? I can have GV use my Sprint number? Will I lose the ability to MMS if I do that?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got the gv integration. Mms from wife on Sprint (she doesn't use gv) turn into an email. Mms from non Sprint people end up in the standard messaging app.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

As long as I get them I don't care.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
It's Christmas! Finally upgrading from the HTC Touch Pro 2!

Galaxy S3 or EVO LTE?

general chaos
May 20, 2001
You're not going to get much support for the Evo LTE in this thread.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

Revitalized posted:

It's Christmas! Finally upgrading from the HTC Touch Pro 2!

Galaxy S3 or EVO LTE?

iPhone 5. :v:

Merry Christmas.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

general chaos posted:

You're not going to get much support for the Evo LTE in this thread.
We'll get 4.2 4.1 Jellybean eventually, I just know it! :smithicide:

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Okay so Galaxy S3. Got it. It's exciting to finally move on from obsolete phone OS (my first phone was a PalmOS, then I moved onto the TouchPro2 with WinMo. Finally I can have an android and run all the fun things everyone else does. Also Spacechem.)

What's wrong with the LTE anyways?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

SpelledBackwards posted:

We'll get 4.2 4.1 Jellybean eventually, I just know it! :smithicide:

We've already got it, you know. Both through CM10 and officially. I've been using CM10 for a bit now, so I can't speak to the quality of the stock ROM.

E: I really like my Evo LTE, but the S3 is certainly more popular/well supported.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint apparently hates Philadelphia (I kind of do too).

Not as much as they hate Omaha.