Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

OniPanda posted:

This one does not reference masturbatory habits. It's used when you're calling someone an rear end in a top hat. The jerking off motion signifies you don't care what they're saying, or that the person is full of poo poo.

This same gesture is used in England in order to refer to someone as a wanker, which has the same masturbatory implications. :eng101:

Luckily, Wikipedia has made a very educational photographic illustration of this gesture, for the betterment of human knowledge:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That is a crazy bend on that invisible dick.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

That is a crazy bend on that invisible dick.
The dangers of wanking.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

What exactly does e: f, b stand for? I know it means someone beat you to posting something, just not entirely sure what the letters or the comma mean.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
edit: gently caress, beaten

vvvvvv :colbert:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

NienNunb posted:

What exactly does e: f, b stand for? I know it means someone beat you to posting something, just not entirely sure what the letters or the comma mean.

Babysitter Super Sleuth has a new favorite as of 05:47 on Dec 18, 2012

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

e: ^^^ f, b

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

mr. stefan posted:

:master:

Why is :iiam: a ghost? Is it because ghosts are mysterious, or is there something more?

Halifax
May 22, 2006

Technology Equals Might Want to Loot Instead
Nap Ghost

GruntyThrst posted:

:master:

Why is :iiam: a ghost? Is it because ghosts are mysterious, or is there something more?

It's a reference to the Pink Flyer thread, where a goon found pink flyers with the phrase "Why is this flyer pink?" on them, and started posting his own. One of the variations has the ghost from :iiam: on it with the phrase "It is a mystery"

But yeah, it's because ghosts are mysterious.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Halifax posted:

It's a reference to the Pink Flyer thread, where a goon found pink flyers with the phrase "Why is this flyer pink?" on them, and started posting his own. One of the variations has the ghost from :iiam: on it with the phrase "It is a mystery"

But yeah, it's because ghosts are mysterious.

Looking at the aforementioned thread, it seems more like the flyer was a reference to the emoticon.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

GruntyThrst posted:

:iiam:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I would assume it's because ghosts are spooky, and mysteries are also spooky.

Since it's almost never used sincerely the ghost helps underline the inanity of an unknown, since ghosts are dumb and do not exist.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Cubone posted:

I would assume it's because ghosts are spooky, and mysteries are also spooky.

Since it's almost never used sincerely the ghost helps underline the inanity of an unknown, since ghosts are dumb and do not exist.

The apocalyptic scenario in :iiam: is what happens when :iia: goes too far.

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

Its an adapation of mystery.gif which used to get posted in fyad untill it got played out. Then the rest of the forums found it and made an emote. Now some comedy gold writing goon can post the mystery solved emote and all will be right in the white forums.

attachment doesnt look like its working, rehosted

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Neo Mara has a new favorite as of 10:26 on Dec 18, 2012

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
:ms:

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
Didn't that one get answered earlier in the thread, or was that somewhere else? I thought TACO TEH WONDER DOG was the guy who made the It Is a Mystery ghost.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Fudge Handsome posted:

Didn't that one get answered earlier in the thread, or was that somewhere else? I thought TACO TEH WONDER DOG was the guy who made the It Is a Mystery ghost.

Hahaha I forgot about TAOC TEH WODNER DOG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH6zZEBapGA

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Hahaha I forgot about TAOC TEH WODNER DOG

Or if you're feeling especially saucy, TAOC TEH WODNER DOUGH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X4WI8RjOi0

Edit: I think I actually have a couple of his videos in flash form.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

What's the story behind the *.txt thread names, like, say, wowplayers.txt, tumblr.txt, etc.? Was there some kind of an origin .txt file that gave rise to this?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The whole .dll crazy became popular with things like "nope.avi" and "internet.jpg"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Suspicious Dish posted:

The whole .dll crazy became popular with things like "nope.avi" and "internet.jpg"

Don't forget the many goons.jpg threads.

And hello.jpg, of course.

Threads with *.txt names I believe started from goons' tendency to save interesting/stupid/hilarious quotes etc. in txt files for archiving.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Mokotow posted:

What's the story behind the *.txt thread names, like, say, wowplayers.txt, tumblr.txt, etc.? Was there some kind of an origin .txt file that gave rise to this?

I do believe I once had GOONS.txt which was a collection of the worst (and sonetimes best) quite from the forums circa. 2006

toby
Dec 4, 2002

bad_posters.xls (70.3 MB)

twosideddice
Jan 7, 2009

toby posted:

bad_posters.xls (70.3 MB)

The length of the entire Leper's colony?

Club Sandwich
May 25, 2012
I just saw this referenced in an a/t thread and I was wondering what the story behind :sax: is? For further context, someone asked what differentiated a conspiracy theorist goon from :sax: and someone replied "about 400 dollars."

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Club Sandwich posted:

I just saw this referenced in an a/t thread and I was wondering what the story behind :sax: is? For further context, someone asked what differentiated a conspiracy theorist goon from :sax: and someone replied "about 400 dollars."

Kyoon is a crazy person who keeps buying accounts and making threads.

Kyoon sounds like the noise a sax makes.

:sax:kyooon~

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Club Sandwich posted:

It's from this video.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

And, to clarify, the video and :sax: were around well before they became associated with Kyoon.

The full set: :sax: :guitar: :drum: and of course :bandwagon:

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
Let's not forget :scax:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sagebrush posted:

And, to clarify, the video and :sax: were around well before they became associated with Kyoon.

The full set: :sax: :guitar: :drum: and of course :bandwagon:

Looks like :guitar: has a non-transparent background, but the guitar smiley in :bandwagon: has transparency.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Club Sandwich posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=183534

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

prefect posted:

Looks like :guitar: has a non-transparent background, but the guitar smiley in :bandwagon: has transparency.

Here's one with transparency, if a mod wants to swap it out.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Hey, can I ask about gang tags here?
I get the video game related ones (third street saints, H+, and the Dark souls font), but there are a bunch that I have no clue about.
Namely Burnouts, Sad Brains, and Whizzards.
What are they symbolic of?

Crocuta
Nov 6, 2004
wakkawa

JaggerMcDagger posted:

I get the video game related ones (third street saints, H+, and the Dark souls font), but there are a bunch that I have no clue about.

Sad Brains was for people with depression, I think? There was a thread about it in E/N or somewhere.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

JaggerMcDagger posted:

This SAClopedia entry has a bunch of info on them. Burnouts is from TCC, the drug subforum. Whizzards is from ADTRW and Sad Brains is most likely from LF.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

prefect posted:

I think today was the first time I've seen :jiggled: -- where's that from?

This was forums poster jigglemaster7's av.

YOSPOSter z0r spent real money and bought everyone browsing YOSPOS on may 4 2010 that exact avatar. There could be a few around still.

And I think z0r made and bought the emote too.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
So is z0r the reason that z0r chains exist or did he just name himself after them? Goons in various games I've played have z0r'd things up for as long as I can remember.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So is z0r the reason that z0r chains exist or did he just name himself after them? Goons in various games I've played have z0r'd things up for as long as I can remember.

I think he just named himself after them; z0r is the degraded version of x0r as in hax0r etc.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Jjaarreett posted:

This SAClopedia entry has a bunch of info on them. Burnouts is from TCC, the drug subforum. Whizzards is from ADTRW and Sad Brains is most likely from LF.

I don't think sadbrains are LF. LF had Redguard and Al-Aqsa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I think he just named himself after them; z0r is the degraded version of x0r as in hax0r etc.

And is also my preferred gender pronoun. Check your privilege. :colbert: