Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Raw_Beef posted:

Luxury car has fancy gimmick! I dont understand the people who would want this kind of system.
I cringe thinking about servicing this system when its 10+ years old. But by then, its not Mercedes problem anymore!

It is easing people into autonomous vehicles at a comfortable pace. Everybody I've talked to about autonomous vehicles have flipped their poo poo at the mere suggestion of riding in a car that is driving itself. Even in the face of early evidence suggesting autonomous vehicles will be significantly safer.

With this system, there is a clear evolutionary path from safety feature to self driven. I believe that the next generation Mercedes will offer systems that control the car in rush hour traffic, next it will be able to pilot itself once on the freeway, then finally offer complete autonomy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

oRenj9 posted:

It is easing people into autonomous vehicles at a comfortable pace. Everybody I've talked to about autonomous vehicles have flipped their poo poo at the mere suggestion of riding in a car that is driving itself. Even in the face of early evidence suggesting autonomous vehicles will be significantly safer.

I don't get it. People seem to be completely fine(or ignorant, probably ignorant) with planes that fly themselves, what's the big deal with a car that does it? In modern airliners, the pilots are basically up there dicking around outside of taking off and landing, which the aircraft can probably do itself. Nobody seems to mind this.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

fknlo posted:

I don't get it. People seem to be completely fine(or ignorant, probably ignorant) with planes that fly themselves, what's the big deal with a car that does it? In modern airliners, the pilots are basically up there dicking around outside of taking off and landing, which the aircraft can probably do itself. Nobody seems to mind this.

I believe this could be taken as a literal 'out of sight, out of mind' self-deception.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Yeah, I don't think most airline passengers have a clue as to the extent of either the autopilot's use and ability or the amount of decision-making and autonomous adjustment fly-by-wire systems are making even when the pilots are 'flying' the plane. Hell, I doubt most drivers understand the extent of involvement their ABS and traction control already have.

When it comes to cars the prevalent opinion seems to be "My home PC crashes, if I have a PC drive my car, it'll crash too, only for real!" Which is silly, but the carmakers don't help themselves by putting in buggy ICE systems that occasionally crash.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
You guys are just being caught up in enthusiasm for technology. There is no way the future is going to work like demolition man.

Flying airplanes, no big deal :smug:

A little confused at a automotive enthusiast forum posters defending removing the driving experience and turning us all into passengers. :ussr:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Raw_Beef posted:

A little confused at a automotive enthusiast forum posters defending removing the driving experience and turning us all into passengers. :ussr:

What percentage of drivers would you say are both:

- completely uninterested in driving outside of getting from point A to point B
- utterly outclassed in driving skill by the AI from an early version of Grand Theft Auto

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

fknlo posted:

When I'm the passenger, I could literally not care less if it's a robot doing my driving or a human. When I'm driving, I'm driving, and that's how I want it. Simple as that.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Hell, I doubt most drivers understand the extent of involvement their ABS and traction control already have.
Coincidentally, not every car has either of these.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Faerunner posted:

Coincidentally, not every car has either of these.
Only a small minority of enthusiasts care about avoiding those. Exhibit A: matdizzle28

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I'm terrified that this will mean more Mercedes drivers will stop paying attention to the road and start texting more.

On the bright side, Mercedes drivers texting while driving will be less likely to hit something with a system like this than they are now, since they're texting while driving anyhow.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

VikingSkull posted:

I meant the GT40 at Le Mans. It's one of the greatest moments in all of racing history, and it's the only time an American car company has thrown its full weight behind an international racing series.

While I get what you're saying, that's not really 100% true - look at what GM's done with the Corvette since 1999. What's more, that's been with a single team and even a fairly constant driver line up.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

e: CAR OF THE FUTURE

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Snowdens Secret posted:

- utterly outclassed in driving skill by the AI from an early version of Grand Theft Auto

Every driver with PA tags that comes into NJ.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Faerunner posted:

When I'm the passenger, I could literally not care less if it's a robot doing my driving or a human. When I'm driving, I'm driving, and that's how I want it. Simple as that.

While I feel the same way, however,

Snowdens Secret posted:

This being at least 95% of the driving population is going to lead to really fast driverless car adoption rates once it goes mainstream. People will become used to it, just like they eventually got used to riding in elevators without an operator.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I love driving on a good twisty road, but when I'm just taking the interstate from point A to point B, I would love to be able to turn on the autopilot and do something else. I don't care what car I'm in, I-80 does not deliver driving enjoyment, so why try?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I love driving on a good twisty road, but when I'm just taking the interstate from point A to point B, I would love to be able to turn on the autopilot and do something else. I don't care what car I'm in, I-80 does not deliver driving enjoyment, so why try?

ya as long as I can switch it off its fine since you give up nothing for a huge gain. It might be a little sad when it becomes mandatory and always-on but then that might lead to some awesome time saving traffic changes.

It would also be really nice when visiting a new location since you don't have to worry about missing your turn.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Zorak of Michigan posted:

No poo poo, I don't get why everyone is arguing against it so hard. I don't see a driverless car that can truly handle any situation in the near future, so it's not like the car will actively prevent you from driving it.

The vast majority of my miles are plodding along US60 in a straight line, and the most common road trip I take is I10 between Phoenix and LA which is, guess what, also mostly a straight line. It's boring as gently caress to drive and I would love a car that would let me get it to the freeway and then just hit 'go'.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Every driver from CT.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

No poo poo, I don't get why everyone is arguing against it so hard. I don't see a driverless car that can truly handle any situation in the near future, so it's not like the car will actively prevent you from driving it.

I bet within 20 years you'll have the capability to handle 99% of them though.

Back to the aircraft thing, I could see a system of fixes that a trip computer in the car uses to navigate like aircraft do now. Throw in a transponder system mandated for all cars and something like TCAS in the driverless ones and go from there.

SoSimpleABeginning
Mar 6, 2010

From so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
The Great Twist

angryhampster posted:

e: CAR OF THE FUTURE

I love how they are using an inflatable Mercedes as the lead car because they haven't worked all of the kinks out of the system.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You'd think they'd use a BMW or something they want to see get smashed.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
Google has been testing an autopilot car for years. The technology exists for it now. poo poo Vegas recently allowed Google to actually license their auto cars for road use.

Give it 5 years tops and you'll start seeing fully auto cars from luxury makers in the same way most have some form of adaptive cruise control.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Volvo hit a parked car at 5mph pretty recently testing their automatic braking (with journalists in it if I remember correctly), and insurance costs probably go through the roof when you explain what you are testing, so I'm ok with the inflatable car.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Morphix posted:

Give it 5 years tops and you'll start seeing fully auto cars from luxury makers in the same way most have some form of adaptive cruise control.
Porsche is testing a version that anticipates turns via GPS & maps and automatically selects optimal brake points, shift points and cornering force (all based on driver preference) for increased fuel efficiency. They claim to have no plans of ever putting it in a production car, but if that's true... why are they developing it?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Uh, BMW is already doing that predictive power management.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I imagine we'll see cars that de facto drive themselves 99% of the time using all these different systems fairly soon and the eventually legalization and "official" driverless vehicles a while after when the governments of the world catch up.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

grover posted:

Porsche is testing a version that anticipates turns via GPS & maps and automatically selects optimal brake points, shift points and cornering force (all based on driver preference) for increased fuel efficiency. They claim to have no plans of ever putting it in a production car, but if that's true... why are they developing it?

They might have the most suitable R&D team in VAG to do it, and the patents could be pretty valuable too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

hifi posted:

Volvo hit a parked car at 5mph pretty recently testing their automatic braking (with journalists in it if I remember correctly), and insurance costs probably go through the roof when you explain what you are testing, so I'm ok with the inflatable car.

That was Mercedes in 2005 and the test was rigged anyway.
Edit: I'm wrong. Happened to Volvo too for their pedestrian avoidance system. Ha.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 20, 2012

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
If we develop fully-automated self-driving cars, can you still be charged with a dui?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CharlesM posted:

That was Mercedes in 2005 and the test was rigged anyway.
Edit: I'm wrong. Happened to Volvo too for their pedestrian avoidance system. Ha.

These kinds of incidents seriously scare me.

Have you seen the Volkswagen ads for cars with "city braking"? It is genuinely one of the most offensive ads I have ever seen, for the simple fact that it's basically telling you that it's perfectly OK not to keep your eyes on the drat road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhip-JJmkgU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Devyl posted:

If we develop fully-automated self-driving cars, can you still be charged with a dui?

I will say "yes" if there exists any possibility of driver override.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

These kinds of incidents seriously scare me.

Have you seen the Volkswagen ads for cars with "city braking"? It is genuinely one of the most offensive ads I have ever seen, for the simple fact that it's basically telling you that it's perfectly OK not to keep your eyes on the drat road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhip-JJmkgU

Honda has one locally where a dude who is about to hit something that tries to brake check him with his Accord gets warned about it by the computer. At this point, he slams on the brakes (the Honda applies extra braking force for his limp footed attempt at stopping), takes one hand off the wheel to put his arm in front of his wife who is pitching slightly forward in her seat, and then turns his head over his right shoulder to make sure his daughter in the back seat is fine before the car has come to a complete stop.

How in the gently caress is any part of that safe enough to normalize in a commercial as accepted behaviour? Don't steer to avoid trouble or leave following room, say Honda, just slam on the brakes, then take one hand off the wheel to protect your wife/catch an airbag in the forearm and don't look at the road.

God forbid that your fully seatbelted wife pitch slightly forward in her seat!

edit: Here it is. The 30-second version on Canadian TV has a nice slow motion sequence during the 'crash' to make sure we capture the totality of the driver's incapability but I can't find that version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ohNWHf4jwI

edit 2: Nice, there's another ad for if you're too lazy to shoulder check too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH5jgj74p0o

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 20, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Someone should do a parody of the commercial and send it to Honda where the car doesn't brake in time, sets off the airbags, which then causes the husband to break his wife's nose from his hand being launched by the airbag. The commercial finishes with him in physical therapy for a shattered hand and whiplash caused by him twisting around to look behind him during the impact.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

you guys are getting way to 'spergy about those commercials. I think the first one is pretty good: funny and pretty realistic.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So the IIHS has finished up applying their new small front overlap test to some more mainstream models.

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr122012.html
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/summary.aspx?class=30

TL;DR Accord, Kizashi are best, Camry, Prius, Malibu, Jetta and Sonata are bad, everything else is OK.

Surprised that the Kia did better than the Hyundai. Also suprised that the Camry did so poorly considering it's a brand new model.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Xguard86 posted:

you guys are getting way to 'spergy about those commercials. I think the first one is pretty good: funny and pretty realistic.

I think they encourage people to not give a poo poo about paying attention when they're piloting a 1+ ton collection of metal and plastic at speeds that would be extremely harmful and very possibly fatal if they should hit anyone. And the last thing we need is for people to be encouraged to not pay attention to the road, no matter how funny it may seem.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Throatwarbler posted:

So the IIHS has finished up applying their new small front overlap test to some more mainstream models....
Surprised that the Kia did better than the Hyundai.
How does that work? Aren't the Optima and Sonata essentially the same car?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
A lot of it has to do with the normal driver. People like us; who pay extra attention to our surroundings and safety, are the severe minority. You're normal driver isn't going to know how ABS sensors work or exactly how airbags are triggered. They own a car to use it is transportation and that's it. The normal driver is also more easily distracted by cell phones, texting, playing with the radio, etc. That's kinda why these things are needed.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

I think they encourage people to not give a poo poo about paying attention when they're piloting a 1+ ton collection of metal and plastic at speeds that would be extremely harmful and very possibly fatal if they should hit anyone. And the last thing we need is for people to be encouraged to not pay attention to the road, no matter how funny it may seem.

Its just stating reality. They aren't showing this as drivers education, its a commercial.

Devyl posted:

A lot of it has to do with the normal driver. People like us; who pay extra attention to our surroundings and safety, are the severe minority. You're normal driver isn't going to know how ABS sensors work or exactly how airbags are triggered. They own a car to use it is transportation and that's it. The normal driver is also more easily distracted by cell phones, texting, playing with the radio, etc. That's kinda why these things are needed.

Pretty much. Heck, I know I've been pretty negligent at moments especially when I'm tired or distracted by something else. Computers dont have that problem.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Xguard86 posted:

Its just stating reality. They aren't showing this as drivers education, its a commercial.

They're showing people that it's perfectly normal to not give a poo poo about driving, and that they shouldn't be deeply ashamed if they've crashed due to distracted driving, because their old car just wasn't smart enough.

Not smart enough to make up for the blithering idiot behind the wheel who should never have been given a driver's license, obviously.

quote:

Pretty much. Heck, I know I've been pretty negligent at moments especially when I'm tired or distracted by something else. Computers dont have that problem.

Then you shouldn't have been driving, period. That's precisely what friends*, family*, busses, trains, taxis etc. etc. are for. To provide you with transport in cases where you either cannot driver, or at least cannot drive safely.

There is no excuse for bad driving. Laziness is not an excuse.

* Not their only function, of course. They also provide free food and beer

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

haha, alright buddy. Wish we could all live in this utopian world were every person on earth drives with F1 focus all the time.

Have you really never worked a long day or driven home from the gym?