Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Here's a guy who lived in the sewers in a six square metre space with his wife for 21 years http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-20643956

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Here's a guy who lived in the sewers in a six square metre space with his wife for 21 years

I'd love to know how that initial conversation went over with his wife.

TurboTax
Oct 9, 2012

Here's a guy who lived in the sewers in a six square metre space with his wife for 21 years http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-20643956

It looks like a one-eyed dog from the depths of hell decided to join him.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
That dog is cute in a scraggly mess way :colbert:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
In a way that's kind of sad but in another way it's also kind of amazing. Here's a dude in a situation bad enough that the only place he can find to live is a little cube in the sewers. So he decked it out well enough that he can have a hot dinner, a wife, a TV, and a dog. Making the best of things, as they say.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Him and a Thousand+ other people in Las Vegas. Daily mail, I know, but it's the photographer that counts.

I think there was some TV documentary as well, since I remember watching video.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That dog is adorable. All is forgiven.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Wow, someone doesn't like you!

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 01:17 on Dec 22, 2012

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:

TurboTax posted:

It looks like a one-eyed dog from the depths of hell decided to join him.
I will hear nothing against Sewer Dog. :colbert:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

This is somewhat common in a lot of places that don't like homeless people, like say Colombia which had some periods where mercenaries and policeman basically went around just gunning homeless people and street urchins down, even now sometimes they go and attack the people living in the sewers. It's a pretty tense situation.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
Well, if we're posting guys living in sewers then I'm posting this. Unfortunately there aren't any pictures I've been able to find, but the news article makes up for it.

Man found living comfortably inside Chicago drawbridge

quote:

When authorities went inside, they found an elaborate setup that tapped into the bridge's electricity to power a television, microwave, space heater and PlayStation video game system. There, Dorsay could relax, turn on a Chicago Bears game, invite friends over and pop open some beers.

"I've never seen this," Tom Powers, a deputy commissioner for the Chicago Transportation Department, told the Chicago Sun-Times. "Usually, it's somebody trying to get warm at night."

The home had its quirks. Whenever Dorsay heard the bells that signal the arms of the bridge would soon rise to let boats through, he held on as the bridge slowly pitched him forward.

"The first time it was scary," he said. "After that, it was almost like riding a Ferris wheel."

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

platedlizard posted:

Well, if we're posting guys living in sewers then I'm posting this. Unfortunately there aren't any pictures I've been able to find, but the news article makes up for it.

Man found living comfortably inside Chicago drawbridge

I'd say the guy who told the cops about that place needs a mud hole stomped in his head

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I'm going out of town for a few days, and contracted a friend to look after my cats while I'm away. I bought him a six pack, told him he can borrow anything he likes, and left him instructions for the entertainment system. This thread has made me so paranoid that I've also deep cleaned the house, including the fridge, closets and cupboards. Nothing was that bad, and he probably wouldn't care if it were, but I don't want to click on this thread and recognize anything.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I got a fresh, sticky batch of mental illness here to help you start the new year off right!

I don't know why but the iMac G4 cracks me up in this one.

Gross, empty aquariums are the worst best type of aquariums.

I can almost smell the bong water from here, though somehow I doubt that's far from the worst smell you'd encounter in that room.

Sorry for the racial slur in this one, but you need to understand that people who live in piles of poo poo only have so much class to spread around. At least his pills are nice and tidy for easy access! Also I'm super jealous of that big rear end bag of suckers.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

His wife is the dog isn't it.

Too Lazy to Stop
Dec 27, 2012

ParTEA Hard!
Hahaha! Get it? It's a pun!
...oh I'm wasting my life.

The Monkey Man posted:

Otaku lairs are at their happiest on their waifu's birthday.

Or maybe it's when they're saddest.

The mere possibility of being associated with people like this is the reason why I don't tell many people I watch anime. They're the reason why anime can't be regarded as a "normal" genre of american entertainment. Hell, there are football fans equally as passionate about the game, but they don't let it take over their life.

Why didn't they just take the money they spent on all of those figures and merchandise and buy some tickets to the wonderland of Japan. I'm sure the xenophobic Japanese citizens would be thrilled to meet an american so "in tune" with Japanese culture and instantly hail them as the new king of Japan.

Okay, I've finished my rant. Now back to watching FMA.

Edit: Looking back, you guys are definitely right about the fact that football fans can let the game take over their life, just as any interest or hobby can. It just seems less creepy and it's considered more socially acceptable to be a huge fan of football than anime in the US.

I guess the reason why I decided to make this post in the first place was when I saw the shrine I dismissed it as pathetic, thinking it was ridiculous that somebody would waste so much money on figures/ merchandise of fictitious characters. I then realized that I had spent $5 on an avatar of the same character, as if I was becoming one of them :ohdear:. Oh well, it's not like they're bad people, I just find it sad.

Too Lazy to Stop has a new favorite as of 06:12 on Jan 4, 2013

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Well I guess it's okay, they're probably really well written, deep, developed characters for people to get that obsessed with them.

Right?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Too Lazy to Stop posted:

The mere possibility of being associated with people like this is the reason why I don't tell many people I watch anime. They're the reason why anime can't be regarded as a "normal" genre of american entertainment. Hell, there are football fans equally as passionate about the game, but they don't let it take over their life.

Where are you from? I've had people seriously threaten me with bodily harm because I don't watch football. I had a coworker once get the poo poo beat out of him behind the dumpster for being a Browns fan. Granted, I have yet to meet a football fan with such an extensive, meticulously-sorted collection of football figures, but really, football fans can definitely get into the territory of "dangerously obsessed." The difference is that instead of quietly amassing collections of plastic figures, they're out being belligerent assholes.

Personally, I'd rather hang around an obsessed anime fan than an obsessed football fan.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Too Lazy to Stop posted:

Hell, there are football fans equally as passionate about the game, but they don't let it take over their life.

Zeal is zeal in any way, it's just more creepy when it's about highschool girls or whatever is the popular trend in anime nowadays. Though would you ever really see this home http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/08/ultimate_man_cave_kimberly_cou.html and think "man this totally is a dude who's well balanced in the head."

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Does the average person know anything about anime shrines? Like, that they exist?

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Linux Pirate posted:

I got a fresh, sticky batch of mental illness here to help you start the new year off right!

I don't know why but the iMac G4 cracks me up in this one.

Gross, empty aquariums are the worst best type of aquariums.

Oh god, are these messes considered mental illness level? I might have some more stuff I could post here. :ohdear:

Otherside
Apr 28, 2008

Too Lazy to Stop posted:

Why didn't they just take the money they spent on all of those figures and merchandise and buy some tickets to the wonderland of Japan. I'm sure the xenophobic Japanese citizens would be thrilled to meet an american so "in tune" with Japanese culture and instantly hail them as the new king of Japan.

Okay, I've finished my rant. Now back to watching FMA.

Honestly, I wouldn't let guys like that get to you. They are a pretty small minority of anime fans and I doubt most people outside of other anime fans or people who post on certain web forums know they exist. In my experience the average persons negative reaction to anime usually comes from overzealous teenagers obsessed with Naruto or yaoi fangirls. Then again, anime is somewhat more mainstream where I live so my opinion on this might be skewed.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

madeupfred posted:

Oh god, are these messes considered mental illness level? I might have some more stuff I could post here. :ohdear:

Hell yes post them.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Francostein posted:

Hell yes post them.

Well, all right then. Sort of a crap picture, but it gets the point across.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

madeupfred posted:

Well, all right then. Sort of a crap picture, but it gets the point across.

Is this some sort of storage locker where you keep the christmas lights, camping gear, tools, lawnmower equipment, etc?
Or does your whole house look like this?

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

stratdax posted:

Is this some sort of storage locker where you keep the christmas lights, camping gear, tools, lawnmower equipment, etc?
Or does your whole house look like this?

Definitely a part of the house. These were taken after I spent around three weeks cleaning it up, wish I would have gotten a before. :smith:

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

madeupfred posted:

Definitely a part of the house. These were taken after I spent around three weeks cleaning it up, wish I would have gotten a before. :smith:

But there isn't food in there, right? Does your bedroom look like this? What does the rest of your house look like?
If it's just that room and it's just gear, that isn't so bad, compared to most of these pics. Still, it's a lot of junk. Guaranteed you don't need half that stuff. Craigslist it, put it on the curb for somebody to pick up, throw it out. Don't just "organize" it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

KimT posted:

Well I guess it's okay, they're probably really well written, deep, developed characters for people to get that obsessed with them.

Right?

Hahaha most anime characters (at least the types in the pathetic harem animes that these manchildren obsess over) are usually defined by their personality type (bubbly, childish, shy, tsundere), their role (girl next door, nerd, rich girl), and the colour of their panties.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

Hahaha most anime characters (at least the types in the pathetic harem animes that these manchildren obsess over) are usually defined by their personality type (bubbly, childish, shy, tsundere), their role (girl next door, nerd, rich girl), and the colour of their panties.

And hair color/style. And length of skirt, and size of boob. It's really quite horrible.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
You people watch really terrible anime. I wouldn't even know where to find that kind of poo poo, or what to search for if I were interested.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Faerunner posted:

You people watch really terrible anime. I wouldn't even know where to find that kind of poo poo, or what to search for if I were interested.

Half the poo poo on netflix instant is that poo poo.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
LET'S ALL TALK ABOUT ANIME FOR A FEW PAGES

HOW MOE

AM I KAWAII UGUU?

PLEASE BE GENTLE, SEMPAI

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

I really hope he's playing Conker's Bad Fur Day.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Faerunner posted:

Harem anime is a very big and a very well-define genre. And yes, it's terrible. And no, I don't watch it. Well, I've seen a few episodes here and there of stuff that seemed innocent enough when I was naive enough to not be able to tell what it was from the cover. Like when one of my high school buddies told me Negima was good. Oh it looks cute, it's about a teacher at a magic school. An all girls magic school. And all of his students are older than him. And they're all into him. :negative:

I don't recognize many of the characters I've seen in these anime shrine pictures, but I'd bet real money that they were from some sort of harem anime. It really is manufactured to prey on these kind of people - you have a pathetic male character who is actually special in some very specific way and all these hot/rich/cute/etc. girls are fighting for him. It really plays into the kind of fantasy I'd expect these losers to have.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

DeathBySpoon posted:

I really hope he's playing Conker's Bad Fur Day.

I haven't heard of that game in so long...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBxSMnYCPjw

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I feel sorry for these people.

It's obvious that their mum never comes to visit.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Nope, they have to come up from the basement if they want to see moms.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I actually knew a couple of people who lived like that, and without exception they all grew up with moms who also lived like that. I guess once you get used to being the only kid on the ferris wheel saying "I can smell my house from here", you just kinda give up on life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

redmercer posted:

LET'S ALL TALK ABOUT ANIME FOR A FEW PAGES

HOW MOE

:gonk: Oh holy Hell. Is that... Is that Jed's poo poo Lasagne?

I don't live with her anymore but my mother has hoarding tendencies. She isn't a hoarder, but if some traumatic event happened I could see that happening. She's sort of like a tidy packrat. It is all clean stuff, there's no garbage or anything, it is just that every available inch has something there. Stuffed animals, decorations on the wall, pictures, mirrors, little bottles, she collects frog things so little poison dart frog figures everywhere in her room as well as trunks full of shoes never worn. She has a storage garage filled with organized boxes of folded clothes and assorted things, more shoes... All of it is sorted, organized and labelled however.

Seeing pictures like this and hearing the accounts of others makes me wonder just what causes that slip from someone who loves stuff into Hoarder.

uglynoodles has a new favorite as of 03:57 on Jan 6, 2013

• Locked thread