Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

ChaosArgate posted:

Does your video fill the preview window in Vegas when you're editing? If not, then the Pan and Crop tool should be able to fix that.

Yep, it fills the preview window in Vegas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

If the earpieces on the headset are hinged so they swivel, the pops are probably coming from the hinges squeaking when you talk. Try opening audacity and then record yourself just opening and closing your mouth. I had the same problem with one of my headsets and ended up moving to a desktop mic.

I tested that just now, it isn't that either.

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler

ThePeavstenator posted:

Redid my Ty the Tasmanian Tiger LP. Any advice after the second time around?

It doesn't really make much sense to LP this game informatively and not be Australian. So much of the game has Australian inspiration that you either miss or simply repeat from Wikipedia. The limited perspective really holds back the LP. I can't see you holding the LP by being strictly informative for the length of the game.

Why on earth didn't you cut out the loading screens? That should be the very first thing you do when you edit the video. It's dead simple. You should really increase the bitrate. The video looks terribly artifacted whenever you enter dark areas. Also, stop skipping the dialogue. If you're worried about the video going for too long, split it up. For example, after you get the second boomerang is a good point. If you find yourself backtracking, cut to where you're going instead. A shorter video is far easier to comment over, so you should absolutely cut as much useless video out as possible.

Also, use the edit button when posting. That was a shameful double-post and the posting deities are frowning upon you.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Mush Man posted:

It doesn't really make much sense to LP this game informatively and not be Australian. So much of the game has Australian inspiration that you either miss or simply repeat from Wikipedia. The limited perspective really holds back the LP. I can't see you holding the LP by being strictly informative for the length of the game.

Why on earth didn't you cut out the loading screens? That should be the very first thing you do when you edit the video. It's dead simple. You should really increase the bitrate. The video looks terribly artifacted whenever you enter dark areas. Also, stop skipping the dialogue. If you're worried about the video going for too long, split it up. For example, after you get the second boomerang is a good point. If you find yourself backtracking, cut to where you're going instead. A shorter video is far easier to comment over, so you should absolutely cut as much useless video out as possible.

Also, use the edit button when posting. That was a shameful double-post and the posting deities are frowning upon you.

I'm doing this commentary as I play so some parts I left in because I would also be cutting out the commentary. I didn't cut out the loading screens because there were 2 of them and they were both 5 seconds long and I was talking over them. The dialogue I was forced into was explaining game mechanics which didn't seem very useful to leave in if the viewer wasn't playing and I was going to explain it anyway.

I will keep in mind the increasing the bit-rate for next attempt. Quality is turning out to be a real challenge because I'm recording this via composite off my PS2.

As for the informative part, I didn't want to go straight to being funny for the first episode. I'm not very good at being funny alone, and I don't want to suck friends into this until I have the technology part down and have a given the viewer some background on the game.

And sorry for the double post. I am currently tying up my firstborn for sacrificing.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I want to begin doing LPs, so I made a video of me playing through approximately the first third of Eversion. I probably won't finish it, but at the time I made it I planned to, and I still have the gameplay footage for the rest of it, so who knows. I just want to see what you guys think.

Video was posted a while ago because I made and uploaded it before I lost access to the Internet for about three months; this is really my first opportunity to post it.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn5m_kvkLsc

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.
Ok, I've found a way to rip the sound files and videos from the game's still-beating heart. I've even managed to finally find a way convert them into .wav and .avi. However, once I tried to get those two together I got something choppy and out of sync (through VLC).

I'm going though the tech support video-editing suggestions, but if anyone could straight up recommend one that's simple to just add the audio to the video, I'd be grateful.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

steinrokkan posted:

Video, RTS are all about situational awareness and tracking processes / movements, and I don't believe screenshots can capture this dynamic.
Funny that this came up (a couple pages ago). I was actually considering doing a Warcraft 3 LP (so I can make fun of Blizzard's inability to write an original plot both on its own merits and in light of WoW), but considering that several of the missions are up in the 45 minute range I was planning on doing something like ApeHawk's Guild Wars LP, where the bulk of it is screenshotted.

I'm not sure if it's just Blizzard, but their RTS campaigns tend to trivialize most of the economic aspects of the games and just require you to approach the situation correctly (appropriate units, appropriate approach path, not being terrible at micromanagement). But I'm not exactly a LP expert.

Incoherence fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 21, 2012

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

razorrozar posted:

I want to begin doing LPs, so I made a video of me playing through approximately the first third of Eversion. I probably won't finish it, but at the time I made it I planned to, and I still have the gameplay footage for the rest of it, so who knows. I just want to see what you guys think.

Video was posted a while ago because I made and uploaded it before I lost access to the Internet for about three months; this is really my first opportunity to post it.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn5m_kvkLsc

I'll never get used to that custom title, dude. Fools me every time.

Your commentary seems fine, but the video quality is kinda poo poo.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Incoherence posted:

Funny that this came up (a couple pages ago). I was actually considering doing a Warcraft 3 LP (so I can make fun of Blizzard's inability to write an original plot both on its own merits and in light of WoW), but considering that several of the missions are up in the 45 minute range I was planning on doing something like ApeHawk's Guild Wars LP, where the bulk of it is screenshotted.

I'm not sure if it's just Blizzard, but their RTS campaigns tend to trivialize most of the economic aspects of the games and just require you to approach the situation correctly (appropriate units, appropriate approach path, not being terrible at micromanagement). But I'm not exactly a LP expert.

Strategy games generally fit a screenshot format a lot better than a video one. Especially "base building" RTS games where 30 minutes of 45 minute mission will involve dull stuff like collecting resources, building a base, building units, and fighting spoiling attacks from the enemy AI. Which is exactly what you'll get with WCIII. Hybrid works well with cinematic stuff (Which anything WCIII and later is for Blizzard). Full video LPs of RTS games only really works if a) it's a squad based shooter like Dawn of War II and b) or if you have really wonderful personalities playing it (like CoolGuy and RoboKy in the DOWII threads).

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lance Streetman posted:

I'll never get used to that custom title, dude. Fools me every time.

Your commentary seems fine, but the video quality is kinda poo poo.

The first time I logged in after being given it, I was on SA Betamax on my phone so I couldn't see the text and I thought I was actually on probation.

My computer isn't the best. Also I am as broke as I can possibly be so I can't afford any of the good screencap/editing/compression software.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Incoherence posted:

Screenshotting works for Azzur's threads for Warcrafts I and II. The reason it works is basically because Azzur spends a bunch of time filling in the plot blanks with jokes, drawings and victory. The threads would be unreadable if they were all Warcraft and no Azzur.

The problem is that most RTSs are actiony and fast-paced enough to not show very well in screenshots, so you need to make up the presentation difference in some other way. A video with boring bits edited out means you can pretty much just present the game with commentary and it'll do the work of entertaining the masses for you. Of course, the War 3 campaign is pretty slow-paced as I recall.

Trying to predict what's the better fit here without more to go on seems a bit futile, in any case. Try whichever format feels best and see how it goes.

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.
This is basically the last thing I need to know in order to complete my LP.

Yamb worked well at combining audio with video.

The only problem is that the audio files in the game are separated into two different audios, the voice-acting and the sound-effects/music. And no matter how I tell Yamb to do it, it always keeps both as separate tracks.

I'm working on it, but if anyone can tell me a way to combine two audio-tracks into one in MP4, I'd be grateful. Everything I tried so far either left separate tracks or completely ruined the video's framerate.

Ambisagrus
Jun 27, 2008

i am only a man
This is more a thing for the Tech Support Fort, but you should be able to just merge all the tracks in an audio editing program like Audacity, then use Yamb to combine it. You'd probably need to convert them to mp3s beforehand, I assume they're AAC if you're using mp4.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

razorrozar posted:

The first time I logged in after being given it, I was on SA Betamax on my phone so I couldn't see the text and I thought I was actually on probation.

My computer isn't the best. Also I am as broke as I can possibly be so I can't afford any of the good screencap/editing/compression software.
It's absolutely no problem to make perfect looking videos (especially with pixel art) using free software. VirtualDub, AviSynth, Lagarith codec, Audacity. That's all you need.

EDIT: Forgot the recording software itself, can't really provide a name there, I've always used built-in emulator recording so far. Should be an option available, though.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

Alkydere posted:

Strategy games generally fit a screenshot format a lot better than a video one. Especially "base building" RTS games where 30 minutes of 45 minute mission will involve dull stuff like collecting resources, building a base, building units, and fighting spoiling attacks from the enemy AI.

You're allowed to edit videos in this subforum.

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm doing this commentary as I play so some parts I left in because I would also be cutting out the commentary. I didn't cut out the loading screens because there were 2 of them and they were both 5 seconds long and I was talking over them. The dialogue I was forced into was explaining game mechanics which didn't seem very useful to leave in if the viewer wasn't playing and I was going to explain it anyway.

I will keep in mind the increasing the bit-rate for next attempt. Quality is turning out to be a real challenge because I'm recording this via composite off my PS2.

As for the informative part, I didn't want to go straight to being funny for the first episode. I'm not very good at being funny alone, and I don't want to suck friends into this until I have the technology part down and have a given the viewer some background on the game.

And sorry for the double post. I am currently tying up my firstborn for sacrificing.

Doing live commentary in most cases has very little benefit, especially when you're on your own. Your videos are much easier to watch when you've edited them before commentary. It's not so bad now, but when you get into the later levels you're bound to spend more time moving between areas you've already been or messing something up.

The best way to keep quality in check is to record and edit the footage losslessly and compress the final file before uploading. That way, if you compress the file and it doesn't look as good as it should, all you need to do is increase the bitrate and compress again. Ask the Tech Support Fort if you're having trouble.

You shouldn't cut the dialogue because, despite the game being a bit more verbose about explaining the game mechanics, it's more interesting than you are. A viewer mightn't know what you're skipping and may think they're missing out.

I didn't mean you needed to go for humour. I want to emphasise that there's a lot of interesting stuff you could talk about Australia in the LP that you probably wouldn't know because you aren't Australian. It just comes off as a guy playing a video game that occasionally brings up its subject matter but skips most of it because they don't really know much about it. Since you don't have that, you need something else to make up for it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Ambisagrus posted:

This is more a thing for the Tech Support Fort, but you should be able to just merge all the tracks in an audio editing program like Audacity, then use Yamb to combine it. You'd probably need to convert them to mp3s beforehand, I assume they're AAC if you're using mp4.

The current version of Audacity works with AAC. You just need to download the FFMPEG library, which the program tells you how to do when you try to open the file. At least, it did when I tested it just now, and I followed the instructions and opened one of my old AAC files without a problem.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm doing this commentary as I play so some parts I left in because I would also be cutting out the commentary. I didn't cut out the loading screens because there were 2 of them and they were both 5 seconds long and I was talking over them.

If the tools you're using to make your LP aren't the best ones for the job, it's time to look into using new tools.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Simply Simon posted:

It's absolutely no problem to make perfect looking videos (especially with pixel art) using free software. VirtualDub, AviSynth, Lagarith codec, Audacity. That's all you need.

EDIT: Forgot the recording software itself, can't really provide a name there, I've always used built-in emulator recording so far. Should be an option available, though.

I used VirtualDub, AviSynth, and Audacity. I guess the problem really is the recording software, I think I was using HyperCam. It looks a lot better pre-compression though.

Re: built in recording software... it made a ten minute video that was three hundred megabytes when I tested it.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

razorrozar posted:

I used VirtualDub, AviSynth, and Audacity. I guess the problem really is the recording software, I think I was using HyperCam. It looks a lot better pre-compression though.

Re: built in recording software... it made a ten minute video that was three hundred megabytes when I tested it.

Hypercam 2 actually works fine now (installer is a minefield of avoiding toolbars etc though, beware), just make sure to use it with lagarith so you're not losing quality.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Have any of you tried UT Video Code Suite? It says it is lossless and I tend to have better captures in terms of strain on my system compared to Lagarith. I use the codec with the YUV422 colorspace.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

animatorZed posted:

Hypercam 2 actually works fine now (installer is a minefield of avoiding toolbars etc though, beware), just make sure to use it with lagarith so you're not losing quality.

How recently has HyperCam been updated? I downloaded it about six months ago, do I need to update from that?

I'll probably make and commentate a short video with the new software once I get it and post it here for comparison purposes.

e: Got both Lagarith and UT, I'll see which one works better.

e2: Also, does my voice sound okay in the recording? I have no mic, so I had to record it on my phone and transfer it to my computer before mixing it into the video.

razorrozar fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 21, 2012

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

VivaVizer posted:

Have any of you tried UT Video Code Suite? It says it is lossless and I tend to have better captures in terms of strain on my system compared to Lagarith. I use the codec with the YUV422 colorspace.

Yeah it's pretty nice. I get about the same filesize as I would with lagarith but yeah its less taxing.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

razorrozar posted:

How recently has HyperCam been updated? I downloaded it about six months ago, do I need to update from that?

I'll probably make and commentate a short video with the new software once I get it and post it here for comparison purposes.

e: Got both Lagarith and UT, I'll see which one works better.

Don't use Hypercam 2. It installs this weird seachbar into your browser that's near impossible to get rid of, and I never got it to work properly.

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.
Here's the latest version. I'm still using the old youtube links, but that's because I'm still arms deep in the gamefiles plucking the audio and video files. I've finally managed to get the intro done (although for some reason the sound doesn't work on the WMP and the video doesn't show on other players, only working as intended on the VLC Media).

The New and Improved Supreme Commander... Let's Play
Update 1

I'm still trimming some of the caps and I'm working on the videos. Not to mention I'm working on a good font for the OP title. Overall I just want to know if the newest version is presentable.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

Lance Streetman posted:

Don't use Hypercam 2. It installs this weird seachbar into your browser that's near impossible to get rid of, and I never got it to work properly.

Hmm, maybe he could try CamStudio.

http://camstudio.org/

I personally use DxTory so I'm not sure how well CamStudio works but it does have a lot of functions that I like. Can set codec for audio and video.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The_PC_Snob posted:

Update 1

I'm still trimming some of the caps and I'm working on the videos. Not to mention I'm working on a good font for the OP title. Overall I just want to know if the newest version is presentable.

[timg] the ballistic trajectory arcs image and you're looking good to go. I'd see what the other guys say first, but it looks good to me.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The_PC_Snob posted:

Here's the latest version. I'm still using the old youtube links, but that's because I'm still arms deep in the gamefiles plucking the audio and video files. I've finally managed to get the intro done (although for some reason the sound doesn't work on the WMP and the video doesn't show on other players, only working as intended on the VLC Media).

Update 1

Hey, not too shoddy! You are being informative, your pictures are nice, and you even handle the storytelling well! You mentioned working on videos, but there's no obvious problem with their quality, really.

The one thing I'd suggest is to either shorten the OP, or add some pictures to attract attention. People tend to give up on LPs that begin too dry and too verbose, without enough visual "stimulants".

Have to say I'm really surprised by your progress, I take my hat off to you, goon sir.

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.

steinrokkan posted:

Hey, not too shoddy! You are being informative, your pictures are nice, and you even handle the storytelling well! You mentioned working on videos, but there's no obvious problem with their quality, really.

The one thing I'd suggest is to either shorten the OP, or add some pictures to attract attention. People tend to give up on LPs that begin too dry and too verbose, without enough visual "stimulants".

Have to say I'm really surprised by your progress, I take my hat off to you, goon sir.

I'm considering using a few screencaps from the games mentioned in the OP, not to mention find a nice promo image of Supreme Commander itself to place there somewhere.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Lance Streetman posted:

The installer uses some ridiculous double negative yes no maybe confirmation prompts for the searchbars.
Its technically possible to get through without installing anything other than hypercam, but definitely at your own risk. The actual software works fine (default codec is terrible, use lagarith).

That said, that's just me being pedantic. Use any of the alternatives that work just as well and don't try to trick you into installing basically malware.

scfh and virtualdub is another combo I've heard works all right. I think smite from the race thread is going to write up a guide for it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I just installed it and unchecked every box and it seems to work fine?

Like, "makes nice videos" fine, too...dunno.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Didn't install anything weird when I updated either. Just be careful and make sure you read every check box, because like animator said it uses the most convoluted language to try to trick you into installing crap.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
The Dark Souls Strength Build Pilot

In retrospect, I probably did this a bit hastily, forgot everything I learned about AviSynth and just fell back on Movie Maker, but it turned out better than what it could have been. I did this on a rush of satisfaction and hysteria after beating the game for the first time yesterday and reading on the first page of Zain's thread that *maybe* gimmicky runs will be accepted. This isn't even a gimmicky thing to be doing and so probably won't be accepted, but I wanted to post it here first so it can receive an unbiased look on the technical side.

There's some points I can already figure out, the microphone produces a noise I cannot explain, probably due to it's low quality. I might also have lowered the game volume way too much and so said noise is probably more apparent than it should be. It also makes the game eerily quiet, even more than it's supposed to be. I also try to be informative (I wrote a script in a test file for the first five minutes and everything!) throughout the thing so I don't bore people, but not only do I fail as the video goes on, I might also have said some misinformation about the game somewhere along the way.

Also I said Zain's name wrong. Sorry, Zain!

Criticism is accepted and I'm willing to re-do the whole thing. If this is the wrong place for this, then well, I'm stupid. :v:

Edit: At this point in time, I removed the video. It was pretty lackluster and there was all sorts of things wrong with the audio levels, and it wasn't a very skilled run of anything, really. I did manage to work out some of the issues but right now, the video filled no niches so I took it down. Maybe someday when I'm wiser I'll get to do it again.

OSad fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 23, 2012

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

The_PC_Snob posted:

Update 1

Very meaty text wise, but that's to be expected in your OP. This is infinitely better than your initial post, shows and tells much more and far more appealing. Definitely the right direction and looking forward to your thread.

Also, lots of respect for taking the initial lashing in criticism, listening to and making something far better. This shows your work in a far better light.

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.
Any tips on what's the most convenient way to the reader to host audio files? I've stumbled on the Audio Files of other commanders during the missions (like Arnold's orders) and I'd like to host them alongside their screenshots.

On a related note... I don't think I'll be able to host the mission briefings myself. They are actually fairly complex compositions, and I draw the line at having to do the same job as the FMV editor.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

The_PC_Snob posted:

Any tips on what's the most convenient way to the reader to host audio files?

Tindeck is what everyone tends to use.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=9637

Here's a Test Post, please give me criticism.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 22, 2012

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.

sentrygun posted:

Tindeck is what everyone tends to use.

Oh, right, someone had directed me to this site but I got lost as to how to register in it, as all I found were ways to log in...

EDIT: BTW, I found it now.

EDIT 2: And my captcha had "catastrophic" in it. Ironically amusing.

The_PC_Snob fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 22, 2012

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Note that Tindeck is very finnicky and breaks all the time. I got myself a "Premium Subscription" after I clicked the Feedback link on the left and told the guy that the site was broken. The Premium account supposedly lets me upload M4A and WAV and similar files and have them transcode automatically. In my experience, this doesn't work: the site will accept them, but the site won't play them, you have to download them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.
It's okay by me. I'm converting all files to MP3 anyway. I've already tested and they worked alright. But thanks for the head's up. I'll take into consideration if I cross the 100 upload limit (which is likely, each mission has a bunch of those files).

• Locked thread