Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SaNChEzZ posted:

So which one are you, mootmoot or Jack the Smack?

Looking at his post history (13 whole posts, all in CA), where he uses British slang, repeatedly makes fun of people with small bikes, and drools over the Daytona, I'm 90% sure that it's mootmoot. Or a dedicated copycat.

Welcome back you awful man :allears:

Saga posted:

Don't feel cheated. I had one of these and the slightly newer CBR 600 I owned subsequently was a much better bike.

The 400 race reps only exist because of Japanese licensing limitations and many things about them make sense only in those terms. The chassis is massively over built and far heavier than it needs to be.

All the more reason to get the CBR250RR, my current dream bike. It was built entirely for that bracket, not sleeved-down from a 600 or whatever. And it comes in black and gold (though admittedly I'd be ecstatic with the tricolor, and almost as happy with the :krad: 90's shredded purple/red/white scheme).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Looking at his post history (13 whole posts, all in CA), where he uses British slang, repeatedly makes fun of people with small bikes, and drools over the Daytona, I'm 90% sure that it's mootmoot. Or a dedicated copycat.

Welcome back you awful man :allears:

All the more reason to get the CBR250RR, my current dream bike. It was built entirely for that bracket, not sleeved-down from a 600 or whatever. And it comes in black and gold (though admittedly I'd be ecstatic with the tricolor, and almost as happy with the :krad: 90's shredded purple/red/white scheme).

The JDM 2t 250s make more sense as lightweight sportsbikes and have that GP pedigree. Or an Rs250. Though you have to be willing to accept the possibility (certainty if it's a KR-1S?) motor nipping up and launching you mid corner, so I can see why people are reluctant.

E: Our new poster also thinks being poor is disgusting and loathsome, so yes probably mootmoot. Welcome back dude!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There's a guy in Canberra who managed to shoehorn a Blackbird motor into an FZR400, which should tell you all you need to know about most 400s.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Slavvy posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_RC30 Honda RC30. They built it in the late 80's as a thinly veiled race bike for homologation purposes, blew away everything else at the time.

Gear driven V4, single sided swing arm, extruded beam frame, it was a spaceship at the time and incredibly influential. They routinely sell for more than a brand new literbike, they're like the ferrari gt250 of bikes (an imperfect analogy I know).

Nice.

Not a single one for sale in Australia at the moment on Bikesales, but there is this:

RC45. Hmm...

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I always thought these had awesome headlights, not quite round but badass with a cute little face.

There's a kind of sweet spot for practical literbikes around the late '90s / early '00s. An actual size up from supersports, big enough and soft enough to be comfortable, real back seats with decent storage underneath, actual windshields, big low can lets you mount luggage easy etc etc.

I've always been partial to these two:

They're getting long in the tooth but every now and then I get a hankering for picking one up, cleaning it up and then putting a million superslab miles on it. Modern sport-tourers all seem a size too big.

(The RC51 you pictured is from the same era and has similar styling but is known for its uncomfortable race ergos, which is a shame because that engine sounds like tons of fun.)

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Snowdens Secret posted:

There's a kind of sweet spot for practical literbikes around the late '90s / early '00s. An actual size up from supersports, big enough and soft enough to be comfortable, real back seats with decent storage underneath, actual windshields, big low can lets you mount luggage easy etc etc.

They're getting long in the tooth but every now and then I get a hankering for picking one up, cleaning it up and then putting a million superslab miles on it. Modern sport-tourers all seem a size too big.

(The RC51 you pictured is from the same era and has similar styling but is known for its uncomfortable race ergos, which is a shame because that engine sounds like tons of fun.)

I've got a buddy with a really nice RC51, it's an absolute blast to ride. One of the torquiest bikes I've ever had the luck to ride. I personally prefer race ergo's, I've got some back problems and laying on the tank is actually quite comfortable for me. I'd love to have a nice larger sport-touring oriented bike that my wife and I could go places on though.

Sir Moot, welcome back! We've missed you very much, please beware the slight curves ahead.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

Yeah, I was just looking up ZX-9R Es on biketrader on Friday. The C-motor was immense - I remember riding the C1 back to back against the R1 when it was released, and the ZX motor felt quicker (although a stopwatch might have said otherwise) everywhere. The chassis wasn't even bad from the C-bikes onwards, although you could tell just sitting on them that the R1 was a much sportier bike. Stick a flip-screen on a C or E model and you even get something like actual wind protection. Unheard of since the YZF750!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Saga posted:

The JDM 2t 250s make more sense as lightweight sportsbikes and have that GP pedigree. Or an Rs250. Though you have to be willing to accept the possibility (certainty if it's a KR-1S?) motor nipping up and launching you mid corner, so I can see why people are reluctant.

E: Our new poster also thinks being poor is disgusting and loathsome, so yes probably mootmoot. Welcome back dude!

In NZ and some australian states at least, a 400 is a viable choice for a beginner as there is a power/weight and cc limit for the first two licenses before you get a full, and all the miniature superbikes are toward the upper reaches of the rules.

Two-stroke 250's are specifically banned :)

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Gotta love climbing construction sites on the KLR

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My new-to-me bike

2003 sv650, scorpion pipe, tail tidy of sorts, came with a pack rack and a windscreen thing which I removed immediately.
Bonus giant chicken strips on the rear SHINKO

How dangerous are shinkos really? I plan on replacing both the tyres eventually but it seems like a waste not to get the most mileage I can out of the rear before I do that.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
More importantly, how old are they?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Slavvy posted:

My new-to-me bike

2003 sv650, scorpion pipe, tail tidy of sorts, came with a pack rack and a windscreen thing which I removed immediately.
Bonus giant chicken strips on the rear SHINKO

How dangerous are shinkos really? I plan on replacing both the tyres eventually but it seems like a waste not to get the most mileage I can out of the rear before I do that.

Nice!

I rather liked the Angel ST - you might see if you can pick up a matching part worn rear off ebay. They do tend to go "off" once they start to wear out in the center, but they're very comfy, stable and have lots of grip.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KARMA! posted:

More importantly, how old are they?

Just a couple of months old apparently, the previous owner rode it frequently and the rest of the bike seems to reflect this.

No idea about the age of the pirelli, it looks about 50% worn. Finding a second-hand matching rear isn't a bad idea, I'll look into it!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is just fantastic. What's the reason for removing the front sprocket cover? Easier replacement to change gearing?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think it looks cooler. :v:

Philanthropy!
Nov 8, 2012

RIDE A NEW BIKE, BECAUSE MORE HORSEPOWER EQUALS SAFER THAN

BlackMK4 posted:

High five.

It doesn't though. But I respect the process.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

BlackMK4 posted:

It does, nice wee bit of difference, adds another focal point you don't normally see on a bike.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I'd be a bit nervous about a shoe lace or a pant leg getting caught in there.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
That's why you only ride in flip-flops and jorts, duh.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Full body yoga suit w/integrated booties

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Philanthropy! posted:

High five.

Needs more spikes and some road rash from pwning slight curves right?

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Philanthropy! posted:

High five.

What are you riding these days, another Daytona?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

n8r posted:

I'd be a bit nervous about a shoe lace or a pant leg getting caught in there.

That'd make sense, if I ever rode in anything but race boots and stuck my foot an extra foot forward while riding. :v:

Snowdens Secret posted:

Full body yoga suit w/integrated booties

I need to see a picture of a girl in this.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 26, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Backov posted:

What are you riding these days, another Daytona?

If you let him know that you know, he stops posting for a few days. Best to humor him, as you do a small child.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

nsaP posted:

If you let him know that you know, he stops posting for a few days. Best to humor him, as you do a small child.

I pop wheelies so small children bounce off the skid-plate, less mess that way.

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

My new to me. After an 05 Ducati Monster and an 82 GL500 I present the new to me 02 VFR800. 17k on the clock and looks showroom new.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

slowspeedracer posted:

My new to me. After an 05 Ducati Monster and an 82 GL500 I present the new to me 02 VFR800. 17k on the clock and looks showroom new.

That's a fantastic looking bike! A VFR is on my short list of bikes I'm actually looking to purchase.

kitsunamugen
Dec 22, 2012
Here's my first (and so far, only) bike:

It's a 2010 Ninja 250R special edition.

Dunno who exhibit A. with the girly helmet sitting on it is.

I bought this new, and I was proud as punch because it was the first new vehicle I'd ever owned.

I dropped it 3 times in the first month (all on the same day). Once on each side so both sides of the fairing are equally hosed, and crushed the indicators on both sides. You can see the scratches in the picture.

I did this by trying to go up a very steep hill in the wrong gear, stalling it, and then trying to turn it around (by pushing it).

I'm similarly built to Exhibit A in the picture, so the outcome was inevitable. I dropped it on its side, picked it up, and then promptly dropped it on its other side... under a parked car. I am still unclear how that happened.

I managed to pick it up and take it home (which was less than 300 metres away). My dad is a bike rider of old, and his sage advice was to do a couple of laps of the block to get my confidence up, right away.

So I did... and dropped it again trying to do a tight U-turn.

To add insult to injury, this particular bike has Kawasaki OEM globes in the indicators, and I was coming into the Easter long weekend. So I spent ages trying to find an open bike shop which stocked what I needed (no Kawasaki dealers were open that day).

I missed out on riding that Easter long weekend because of the crushed, irreplaceable indicator globes.

I won't lie; I did a lot of drinking and crying that weekend.

Paidor
Nov 13, 2012

Me on my '98 Ducati Monster

This was somewhere in France or Germany. Did a roadtrip this spring with a friend of mine, was awesome. Amazingly the bike did not break down once.

edit: fixed the link

Paidor fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 31, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Duc bros :smug::hf::smug:

Distended Bowel
Dec 27, 2006

Powdered ToastMan!
My new ride!

I don't get to take it home until they lower it for me - goddamn short girl legs.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
How are they doing the lowering?

Distended Bowel
Dec 27, 2006

Powdered ToastMan!
They had to order the lowering link, install it, and then apparently they need to shorten the kickstand (which confuses me because on my old CBR, I lowered it myself and the kickstand was fine...)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd also see about getting the front lowered to maintain something of a balance between the front and the back of the bike. The easy way is raising the forks in the triple an inch or 2, but sometimes you have to worry about clearance issues, and it will definitely exacerbate any kickstand issues. Also, something to be aware of, lowering bikes can cause strange handling behavior if it's not done properly and the geometry gets off as a result of it. Ask the shop about what they recommend, hopefully they've got someone who knows about those sorts of things :)

Congrats on the bike!

Distended Bowel
Dec 27, 2006

Powdered ToastMan!

Z3n posted:

I'd also see about getting the front lowered to maintain something of a balance between the front and the back of the bike. The easy way is raising the forks in the triple an inch or 2, but sometimes you have to worry about clearance issues, and it will definitely exacerbate any kickstand issues. Also, something to be aware of, lowering bikes can cause strange handling behavior if it's not done properly and the geometry gets off as a result of it. Ask the shop about what they recommend, hopefully they've got someone who knows about those sorts of things :)

Congrats on the bike!

I'm lowering the front 1 inch, 2 inches in the rear. My old CBR had the same configuration and it was absolutely perfect for me. I don't corner hard (yet) and i don't have a sidepipe to worry about. I am aware of some clearance problems, but I definitely prefer my bikes lowered a touch.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

kitsunamugen posted:

I won't lie; I did a lot of drinking and crying that weekend.

I think this is the sad saga of most 250s, don't worry about it. I've dropped half the bikes I've owned at some point, several times.

kitsunamugen
Dec 22, 2012
Well that was 15 thousand trouble free kilometres ago.

Haven't dropped it since, and hopefully I won't again.

One day, after I get married, buy a house, declare bankruptcy, wander aimlessly in the desert in search of death, trip over
a huge gold nugget in my dehydrated delirium, I'd like to get a Ducati Monster.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Distended Bowel posted:

I'm lowering the front 1 inch, 2 inches in the rear. My old CBR had the same configuration and it was absolutely perfect for me. I don't corner hard (yet) and i don't have a sidepipe to worry about. I am aware of some clearance problems, but I definitely prefer my bikes lowered a touch.

Awesome, sounds like you've got it well handled then :)

I considered lowering the 675 for my wife if needed, but as it turns out, she can comfortably get a foot down with it as is, so that's good. Have also considered making custom subframes to lower bikes without destroying the steering geometry but haven't had a need for it yet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Buell offered some bikes that came lower from the factory, with different suspension and seats. Always thought that was pretty considerate, it meant that for my bike there were three sizes: extra low, normal, and wider/longer (+ taller in 2009/2010 as they switched to the suspension of the XT/STT, and the X was even taller again).