Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Have any of you guys ever helped out at food kitchens or anything? I did it last week and really enjoyed it, and I'll probably do it again.

My university has a society where the members cycle around all the small independent food shops (and some of the bigger chains that are willing to do it, too) and will pick up any food that they are throwing away because it's going out of date, or whatever. Obviously no meat, but fruit, veg, bread, etc. They'll then take it to a kitchen in the poorer part of the city and cook the good stuff into a big meal for people. Every so often they'll also do a "student restaurant" which is what I helped out at, which is the same idea, but students pay money, and it all goes towards the rent and upkeep of the kitchen.

It was an interesting challenge, because obviously the stuff you get is completely random. We had a shedload of shallots but no onions, 2 crates of bananas and plantain, 50+ Scotch Bonnets, loads of kale, among other things. We made a veg curry with the bulk of the vegetables, banana bread and butter pudding, an incredibly spicy chutney to go with the curry (seriously, one girl waas happily dicing Scotch Bonnets for about 20 minutes before I pointed out how hot it was going to be) and a vegetable soup to start. All in all we cooked for 120 people and made enough money to keep the kitchen running for another 12 weeks.

It was really good fun, and I suggest any of you who have bakeries or shops that can have wastage to see if there's anything similar nearby to you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

So for Christmas my gf's gone, my roommate's gone, my two best friends will be gone, and I can't really make it home. I have Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off. What should I do.

edit: Also I don't really have much in the way of money.

double edit: I'm thinking of cleaning my kitchen and making Seville orange marmalade.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Kenning posted:

So for Christmas my gf's gone, my roommate's gone, my two best friends will be gone, and I can't really make it home. I have Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off. What should I do.

edit: Also I don't really have much in the way of money.

double edit: I'm thinking of cleaning my kitchen and making Seville orange marmalade.

The bachelor thread can help ya out if you need suggestions.

#1: do whatever you want because there's nobody around to tell you otherwise
#2: pants free zone
#3: shower beers

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

That Girl posted:

I've been chopping off chunks of the same onion for about two weeks now, guess my time is fast approaching. It's been a good run, guys. I'll see you on the other side!

How can an onion even last that long? Whenever I get out an onion it's gone that day either by throwing it all in whatever I'm cooking or just eating it raw.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

homerlaw posted:

How can an onion even last that long? Whenever I get out an onion it's gone that day either by throwing it all in whatever I'm cooking or just eating it raw.

It's a christmas miracle!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I'm about to have a banh mi orgy.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ug... Don't get high and go shopping at Trader Joe's. Specially since there isn't one close to my house, everything was SO shiny!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I'm about to have a banh mi orgy.

My kind of party!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Gear got stolen from our rehearsal space. A bad Christmas present.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Gear got stolen from our rehearsal space. A bad Christmas present.

What the hell is someone going to do with 4 pan flutes and a ukulele?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What the hell is someone going to do with 4 pan flutes and a ukulele?

Ask Squashy.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Please dont

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Paging Wiggles. Come in, Wiggles. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3524310

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Added a post, dino.

We went through the security tapes at the rehearsal space and we think we found the guy who did it. We might get our gear back, but even if we don't we ought to get paid out for it so at least it's something. 2 guitars and a keyboard, but fortunately none of the really expensive gear like amplifier heads or the fancy basses or anything.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Do you have insurance?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

It's a band - the answer should be obvious. But the rehearsal space is going to pay us monies if it ends up being the only remedy, since it turns out that the way the guy got into our room was because the key to his door (which he was trying in all of the rooms in the building) also fit our door, and security is the biggest selling point of this place. If word gets out that your gear isn't safe after all, tenants start moving back to garages, and that's bad for business. Better to let everyone know that gear is safe and that he's a stand up guy who makes things right.

Oh, well. At least they didn't make off with the majority of our gear, and we have lots of spares.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Eating a "mid-rare" burger at an airport bar while giving mother my pork rub recipe for a crown roast. My reality is going to change drastically in the next four hours, gonna kick it on the farm for a day before I get back to the bar, merry Xmas and happy Chinese food (insert non-dominant traditions here) y'all.

That Girl
Jun 21, 2004

homerlaw posted:

It was a really gigantic red onion that was primarily used for salads.

Casu Marzu posted:

It's a christmas miracle!

More like Onionukkah.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Dino, when Indian people die, do they go to dalhalla?

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Had turkey on christmas eve for the first time at some friends of the family. Internal temperature of turkey when I arrived? 208 fahrenheit/98 centigrade.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey, at least it'll be germ free.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's when you say "How'd you get the turkey so crispy on the inside?"

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.
I think I have eaten my yearly allotment of scrapple, yum.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That's when you say "How'd you get the turkey so crispy on the inside?"

Luckily, the legs were removed before this atrocity and actually quite nice, brussel sprouts, potatoes, carrots and gravy were nice too. I filled up on desert, however.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:3: gf and I just finished repairing an old 19th century iron and oak two bench sleigh last week. Tonight I got paid to drive around a bunch of victorian dressed lady and gents singing carols and passing around the punch and wassail.

Then I got home and the gf gave me the ad hoc cookbook, a spyderco sharpener, and some moccasins.

Merry Christmas y'all. :)

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Happy holidays Casu!

(I hope you're tasting again)

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Made my very first chocolate mousse, convinced the family to let me do something other than a ham, and life is good. Happy Christmas, all!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

BlueGrot posted:

Happy holidays Casu!

(I hope you're tasting again)

Happy holidays to you too :) I am at like 90% tasting. Salt is still a weird one for me.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

How is it wierd? Sensory deviations fascinate me, as they're kind of the gut punch of my long since finished bachelor's paper.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hey ATL goons! Where can I get authentic Haggis in Atlanta? I found one joint who proudly proclaims "Our haggis is made right here in the U.S. using 100% beef, with traditional Scottish spices." :sigh:

Paging mindphlux. Will mindphlux please come to the chat thread.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

quote:

Paging mindphlux. Will mindphlux please come to the chat thread.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Well that's probably for the best anyway. Good to see he's going for the longest rap sheet ever.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Blaaah, I hosed my cake up.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Man, my friend in Tokyo just bought a truffle at her local fancy grocery. ¥9800.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I'm spending christmas with my family, and we finally did the culturally traditional 12 different dishes christmas eve feast. We usually only got up to 9. I think it's a general eastern european thing. Anyway, I am stuffed with herring and kissel, waiting for everyone to conk out so I can put my things under the tree. Christmastime rules. Merry Christmas/happy holidays/other celebrations, peeps. :)

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Christmas Eve was wonderful. Puppy is pleased, and full, and sleeping. Happy Christmas, everyone!

@Halal: :|

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

BlueGrot posted:

How is it wierd? Sensory deviations fascinate me, as they're kind of the gut punch of my long since finished bachelor's paper.

Just have a really dulled sense of salty. What's salty to me is "oh my god, I'm gagging" salty to others. I always have someone else taste test my cooking before I readjust the salt levels these days.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Merry Christmas from California, GWCC.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Bah humbug, one and all!

We are meant to have some friends over for lunch, but Leo has croup, so they might not want their babby exposed to his numerous germs. I have made a barley, butternut, pecan, caramelised onion and hazelnut oil dish, peeled beetroot for a gratin (the Riverford one I always recommend), and we were going to roast some Jerusalem artichokes, and some broccoli which would be dressed with a toasted almond, garlic, lemon and OO dressing. Pudding was to be a lemon pudding. (Beetroot, broccoli and pudding recipes all from Riverford).

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I think I have hit my limit in clementines this year. There's most of a sack still sitting there and I have zero desire to eat one. Other than that, my husband is in a nyquil coma and I will probably be next. Merry Christmas everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Merry Xmas, all.