Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Zeroisanumber posted:

They were also supposed to be the vanguard of tyranny back in the 1990's. I remember breathless accounts of their supposed "emergency powers" and their secret evil factories, "The X Files" often used a FEMA stand-in as the goons of the evil conspiracy. A lot of the shine got taken off of that turd post-Katrina.

How does that saying go, the government competent enough to save your life is competent enough to take it away? :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Iron Crowned posted:

Oh, I really need to wander into D&D more often.

It seems as though a good 90% of the people I work with listen to and believe all the right wing media. All day long I get to listen to them talk about whatever talking points were on FOX News, Rush Limbaugh, The Drudge Report, and Alex Jones. The scary thing is they all believe it.

On Tuesday they all decided that they had to go buy guns before Obama could talk them away. Come Wednesday they were all talking about the guns they bought (or at least applied for thanks to the waiting period), all handguns, you know nothing that would be banned under an assault weapons ban. Yesterday they decided that they needed to go to the gun store for lunch.

I also had someone attempt to goad me into commenting on the state of the modern government by talking about how the Mayans fell because taxes were too high. Same guy was talking rather excitedly about how thanks to the Planned Parenthood abortion factory, that the percentage of black people in the US would be down to the single digit (prefaced by "I'm not a racist, but...)

This is all a giant change for me. The guy I used to work with was a registered Republican. Last time I talked to him was about two weeks before the election and even he had enough sense to know that Romney was a lovely candidate that he wouldn't be voting for. We used to listen to Coast 2 Coast together and laugh about the craziness of Alex Jones (after one Alex Jones rant about "Black Ops Physics" we picked that phrase up as our dogwhistle that someone was nuts, same with "puppy dogs, rainbows, and unicorns" when one was being a giant hippie).

Back to the current situation, there used to be a guy who was pretty reasonable, but he got a new job and was out of there with minimal words, and I can't say as I can blame him. They would literally gang up on him all day long about being a liberal. As for me, I can't quit until after I've been there a year, so I just keep my head down and stay out of it. We're supposed to get a new building in February, so I'm hoping I can just sit in a corner somewhere away from them.

I've heard endless stories like this about people having to work next to crazy nutfuckers all day. Yet only the right has permission to bitch about being shunned and persecuted by society. Go figure.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
People have been posting quotes from the now deceased Robert Bork around the blogosphere, and even though I'm not sure which of the D&D threads to stick them in, I feel they need to go somewhere. The passages come from both his Slouching Toward Gomorrah book and a C-SPAN interview. Whenever I think of Bork, however, the first thing that comes to mind is a line from Peggy Noonan, the only time she has made me laugh.

Peggy Noonan posted:

What everyone forgets about the case of Robert Bork in his confirmation hearings is that regular people watched him, listened to the workings of his fabulous and exotic mind, saw the intensity, the hunger for intellectual engagement, caught the whiff of brandy and cigars and angels dancing, noticed the unusual hair, the ambivalent whiskers, and thought, "Who's this weirdo?"
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122487886536967577.html

These, however, these are just bully:

"Feminist gatherings within traditional denominations celebrate and pray to pagan goddesses. Witchcraft is undergoing an enormous revival in feminist circles as the antagonist of Christian faith…The feminists within the [Catholic] church engage in neo-pagan ritual magic and the worship of pagan goddesses."

"The fact that men, who did not cry ten years ago, now do so indicates that something has gone high and soft in the culture."
\

"The very fact that we have gone from Elvis to Snoop Doggy Dogg is the heart of the case for censorship."

"Irving Kristol was going through Romania back when it was a Communist dictatorship, and he learned that, of course, they banned rock ‘n’ roll on the grounds it was a subversive music. And it is, but not just of Communist dictatorships. It’s subversive of bourgeois culture, too."

"Dixieland music had real themes to it, had often a very complex musical form. The music of today, a lot of the stuff we’re talking about rap seems to be nothing but noise and a beat without any complexity or without any I don’t understand why anybody listens to it. Well, rock ‘n’ roll still had some melody and I don’t think it could express a lot of emotions that the music before that could express. But it still had some melody and some distinction. And the melody gradually dropped out until we just have this rap."

"A lot of people comfort themselves with the thought that this is confined to the black community, but that’s not true — some of the worst rappers are white, like Nine Inch Nails."
\

"alt.sex is on the Internet. That’s a category. They have a variety of things under alt.sex, which is alternative sex. Particularly horrifying was this alt.sex.stories. I don’t know how to work the Internet yet, but I did that research. I found it written up."

"One evening at a hotel in New York I flipped around the television channels. Suddenly there on the public access channel was a voluptuous young woman, naked, her body oiled, writhing on the floor while fondling herself intimately…. I watched for some time–riveted by the sociological significance of it all."
\

http://www.waggish.org/2012/robert-bork-in-memoriam/

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Peggy Noonan posted:

What everyone forgets about the case of Robert Bork in his confirmation hearings is that regular people watched him, listened to the workings of his fabulous and exotic mind, saw the intensity, the hunger for intellectual engagement, caught the whiff of brandy and cigars and angels dancing, noticed the unusual hair, the ambivalent whiskers, and thought, "Who's this weirdo?"
So was that in defense or criticism of him? Because it's Noonan I can't tell.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
So Bork was basically Ignatius J Reilly in real life? That's hilarious, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

beatlegs posted:

So was that in defense or criticism of him? Because it's Noonan I can't tell.

Oh, in her typically noxious fashion, she liked and defended Bork, and sort of hemmed and hawed over the American public maybe not being ready for "colorful" and "interesting" thinking. That quote was really just a tangent in a piece about the hilarious Harriet Miers nomination by George W. Bush.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Has this been posted? Anti-union douchebag-ette, Dana Loesche is suing her parent company for poor working conditions:

quote:

Dana Loesch, who claims to be the “Editor-in-Chief of Big Journalism” (this explains a lot), is suing the parent company of Breitbart.com. Apparently she was unaware that working for a crazy conservative media outlet would naturally involve “indentured servitude in limbo.” Hey, Dana, where you been, girl?

http://www.politicususa.com/anti-union-tea-party-poster-girl-dana-loesch-sues-breitbart-llc-hostile-working-conditions.html

Utterly delicious.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
That is amazing. The smuggery from the Daily Kos is a tad obnoxious, but the overall hilarity of a rabid anti-unionist complaining about and subsequently suing her employer for their lovely treatment of her is some quite heavy :ironicat:.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's just pure balls-out sadness when you turn yourself into a frothing Nazi and can't even get rich off of it.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Her heart obviously wasn't in it enough. You can't go half-Hitler and expect to get the whole lebensraum. You gotta go full Hitler.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.
So apparently right wing diehards want Piers Morgan off the air now, after he was tough on some gun lobbyist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC4JJWUtzkc

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mr Interweb posted:

Has this been posted? Anti-union douchebag-ette, Dana Loesche is suing her parent company for poor working conditions:

http://www.politicususa.com/anti-union-tea-party-poster-girl-dana-loesch-sues-breitbart-llc-hostile-working-conditions.html

Utterly delicious.

Hilarious, but you know that you have the snark turned up to 11 when even I think the article is too snarky.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Sick_Boy posted:

So apparently right wing diehards want Piers Morgan off the air now, after he was tough on some gun lobbyist.

I didn't see the whole interview beforehand, but did the gun guy actually object to the idea of calling someone mentally deranged for carrying out a mass murder?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

I didn't see the whole interview beforehand, but did the gun guy actually object to the idea of calling someone mentally deranged for carrying out a mass murder?

No, as usual Piers Morgan is a preening idiot, and his most splendid displays of plumage come when he senses a chance to elevate his profile. There were plenty of arguments to use against Pratt but he didn't use them, he just berated him for the duration of the segment.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

beatlegs posted:

I've heard endless stories like this about people having to work next to crazy nutfuckers all day. Yet only the right has permission to bitch about being shunned and persecuted by society. Go figure.

I know part of it, at least for me is I'm usually cursorily informed about things. I don't have the massive in depth knowledge of anything like you guys do, but I usually have enough to know better. I really can't counter whatever the daily talking point from the conservosphere is. Even if I did it would fall on deaf ears, and be reflected back on me being labeled a "bleeding heart liberal." I saw how they treated the other guy, I'd rather just keep quiet, since it's not really worth it.

My friend refers to it as "intellectual waterboarding."

I do have to say from what I've heard there, it must be extremely stressful being on the right, you literally have to be afraid of everything.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

Hilarious, but you know that you have the snark turned up to 11 when even I think the article is too snarky.

quote:

Dana was hired by CNN to represent the “Tea Party” point of view for the 2012 elections. As the rest of the world is aware, the Tea Party is persona non grata these days. Dana better rebrand herself with the next wave of conservative hatred before she becomes irrelephant.

I'm probably a bad person for chuckling at that.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sick_Boy posted:

Oh god, I want Piers Morgan off the air, but not like this.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

boom boom boom posted:

I just watched a cool interview he did with Willie Nelson where they discussed pot and Morgan seemed completely cool about it. He is a bit smug but he seems to be a pretty decent human being. There's a Morgan hate-dogpile thread in GBS and I have to say the celebrities being posted who are trashing him are bigger douchebags than Morgan will ever be (Jeremy Clarkson, Adam Corolla). That plus the rightwing idiots hating on him gives me a newfound sympathy for the guy.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Morgan is utter scum, he's a former Murdoch buttboy, he was balls-deep in phone hacking, he's a man without principles. In short he was the perfect man to take Larry King's place.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

boom boom boom posted:

We have CNN on in the break room at work and he's been alternating between close personal interviews <relative> of <victim name> who died in <mass shooting> and then shouting down some paid gun shill for pretty much an entire week. It's pathetic emotionally manipulative poo poo "journalism" of the worst order. He literally shouted "STOP TALKING" at some lobbyist the other day and I had to stop and wonder why he wasn't just doing an editorial.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Yes we really should give gun industry shills who accuse gun control advocates of polticizing tragedy while blaming the killings on video games and unarmed teachers a fair and honest break.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

beatlegs posted:

Yes we really should give gun industry shills who accuse gun control advocates of polticizing tragedy while blaming the killings on video games and unarmed teachers a fair and honest break.

We shouldn't make them look better by making it look like the only way to argue with them is incoherent shouting and emotional appeals.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
What an rear end, shouting at a scumbag lobbyist mid-ramble about how really to blame is the ~culture of violence~ to dodge a question about the proliferation of guns in the country, if we're talking about the same moment.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

beatlegs posted:

We also definitely should not give Gun industry shills loving evidence of gun control types politicizing the tragedy

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

I think it was OK in a public relations sense to shout the guy down. Most people watching had the same emotions Morgan did, and I doubt anyone who was left sitting on the fence about the issue was more outraged by Morgan shouting him down than the guy spouting offensive bullshit.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Unoriginal Name posted:

We have CNN on in the break room at work and he's been alternating between close personal interviews <relative> of <victim name> who died in <mass shooting> and then shouting down some paid gun shill for pretty much an entire week. It's pathetic emotionally manipulative poo poo "journalism" of the worst order. He literally shouted "STOP TALKING" at some lobbyist the other day and I had to stop and wonder why he wasn't just doing an editorial.

Again, perfect replacement for Larry King.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The best Piers Morgan moment ever was when he appeared on the UK news panel show "Have I Got News For You", acted like a high-and-mighty poo poo, and was completely baffled as to why everyone seemed to be laughing at him when all three of the other panelists kept making jokes at his expense. At one point, he snapped at fellow panelist Clive Anderson (former "Whose Line is it Anyway" host and former barrister) "What do you know about editing newspapers?", to which Anderson quickly replied "About as much as you do." :v:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Piers Morgan is absolutely not a 'decent human being' and people don't hate him just because they want to be cool in GBS or something.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.
Yesterday I started playing GTA IV for the first time and got a chuckle from the mock talk radio.

Yesterday I decided to download the Alex Jones podcast and I cannot tell the difference with the GTA mock radio. He has a guest talking about microchips in the brain. I never thought it would be this bad.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
There actually is technology to implant chips in brains - they are being developed to return motor function to stroke victims. As per usual, paranoid superstitious twits fear new technology rather than just have healthy skepticism of the how the health care industry in the US will handle things like this. So you get morons thinking it a new form of mind control or whatever.

It doesn't help though that a brain chip plays into the 'controlling machine' types of paranoid-schizophrenics, who attribute their bizarre behavior and thoughts to unseen machinery usually controlled by evil entities.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

Spacedad posted:

There actually is technology to implant chips in brains - they are being developed to return motor function to stroke victims. As per usual, paranoid superstitious twits fear new technology rather than just have healthy skepticism of the how the health care industry in the US will handle things like this. So you get morons thinking it a new form of mind control or whatever.

It doesn't help though that a brain chip plays into the 'controlling machine' types of paranoid-schizophrenics, who attribute their bizarre behavior and thoughts to unseen machinery usually controlled by evil entities.

I just can't believe this. A guest is talking about some entities - archons, demons, whatever you call them, that feed on your electromagnetic field when it is affected by fear and chaos and so they manipulate our perception of reality to make us generate chaos and fear so they may feed and... oh Lord.

And the ads for silver gels and venus flytrap pills... oh Lord, oh Lord...

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Alex Jones is amazing. The fact that he has people that actually take him seriously astounds me. The guy is a con artist par excellence. Somehow he's convinced thousands of people that he is some kind of revolutionary fighting back against the techno totalitarian robot one world government or whatever it is he's spouting these days. I personally feel he has surpassed David Ickes in terms of just how insane his claims are.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My favorite Alex Jones conspiracy of all time comes from three or four years ago when he was trying to push that City Year, a Americorps program founded in 1988, was the Hitler Youth branch of Obama's Neo-Nazi regime.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
YouTube user vilemonkey makes some great Alex Jones craziness videos.

http://youtu.be/ZYJPJ6hlYHA

Vote Ron Paul

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 23, 2012

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

Crasscrab posted:

Alex Jones is amazing. The fact that he has people that actually take him seriously astounds me. The guy is a con artist par excellence. Somehow he's convinced thousands of people that he is some kind of revolutionary fighting back against the techno totalitarian robot one world government or whatever it is he's spouting these days. I personally feel he has surpassed David Ickes in terms of just how insane his claims are.

Oh, who is this David Ickes? He was the guest I was talking about! Did I just catch an all-star crazy tag team on my first outing into the conspiracy wilderness?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sick_Boy posted:

Oh, who is this David Ickes? He was the guest I was talking about! Did I just catch an all-star crazy tag team on my first outing into the conspiracy wilderness?

He's a crazy man who believes in the 'reptilians', the whole 'a race of lizard men are infiltrating our society to do SOMETHING! (I think he was one of the first to bring that insanity out?)

Also a lot of generic UFO poo poo.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

SedanChair posted:

We shouldn't make them look better by making it look like the only way to argue with them is incoherent shouting and emotional appeals.

My mom taught me a long time ago that "You can't argue with crazy."

The Republican party (and its conservative tentacles) are masters of semantics and twisting arguments by distorting them or omitting facts. This is perfect for a base of supporters who either lack critical thinking skills or choose to suspend them in order to justify thei beliefs.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

Glitterbomber posted:

He's a crazy man who believes in the 'reptilians', the whole 'a race of lizard men are infiltrating our society to do SOMETHING! (I think he was one of the first to bring that insanity out?)

Also a lot of generic UFO poo poo.

He seems to have gone more metaphysical, talking about parasitic pure-energy beings which some call demos, or archons, or djinns manipulating our perceptions of reality and turning people into computer programs or some poo poo like that.

Edit: Listening to Alex Jones makes me want to play Deus Ex. Heck, let him write a sequel.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Sick_Boy posted:

Jon Ronson, the guy that wrote the book "The Men Who Stare at Goats", had a short documentary series called "The Secret Rulers of the World" in which he hung out with nutjobs as they did their nutjob things. Here's the episode where he followed David Icke around. It's actually rather sad just how crazy Icke is, because it becomes obvious that he's not some guy milking this whole conspiracy thing for the money like Alex Jones, but that he's actually got issues in the form of voices in his head and all that.

http://youtu.be/b8kwbQyFTdk

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Crasscrab posted:

YouTube user vilemonkey makes some great Alex Jones craziness videos.

http://youtu.be/ZYJPJ6hlYHA

Vote Ron Paul

Holy poo poo, this is awesome :allears:. Seriously, usually listening to idiots on radio depresses me, but this is like listening to an episode of the F-Plus.

Almost enough to change my avatar to a picture of him with the caption "Giant Pedophile Armies with Nuclear Weapons", but I still like the CAD one too much.