Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

peak debt posted:

The NRA making the point that it's actually all the video games' faults, using the most appropriate example of a game they could find.

James Brady, former Press Secretary under Ronald Reagan, was seriously injured in the assassination attempt on Reagan in 1981. The incident prompted Reagan to back a bill named after Brady that would institute background checks on prospective gun owners. Naturally, the NRA opposed this measure, and sued up to the Supreme Court to try to block it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Nuclear power's image problem stems from two linked things: lingering Cold War fear of nuclear annihilation, and hysteria (both justified and not) stemming from the few real-world nuclear accidents that have occurred.

Also, while coal mining/power does release more pollution, and indeed radiation, than nuclear generation, it does so much less noticeably and more insidiously, whereas a reactor meltdown is big and dramatic.

Get out of here STALKER. Get out of here STALKER. Get out of here STALKER.

I'm pretty sure that this man:

is the reason that many people distrust nuclear power.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

thathonkey posted:

Two things still used in a medical setting today. Well heroin no, but morphine (or one of the many synthetic derivatives which is just as strong if not stronger), very much yes...

I think cocaine is still sometimes used as a topical anesthetic, maybe not in the U.S.

Very much so, but only in very specific surgeries.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
I'm a huge fan of nuclear power, but I love the film The China Syndrome. For one thing, it's just a loving awesome movie. For another, it actually does highlight what's wrong with the American civilian nuclear program, which is that corruption made the design of the plants really relatively unsafe.

If you're interested in the whole story, I really suggest the documentary "A Is for Atom" from the Adam Curtis series Pandora's Box. Actually, every episode of that series is well done and amazing, as are all of his documentaries.

In any case, it's about how the nuclear business grew up in the US as opposed to the one in the USSR, and what that meant for reactor design. It also has a dictophone recording of the Three Mile Island operators talking to someone at the NRC, if I'm remembering right, which is a truly terrifying conversation.

(If you aren't familiar with the situation, they accidentally, due to a malfunctioning valve, exposed the core and actually did cause a core melt, but they had no way of knowing what they were doing, because the plant design was so complex.)

Unfortunately, it seems like most Americans will continue to think of this:

Instead of this:

When they hear the word "nuclear."

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

BUSH 2112 posted:

I'm a huge fan of nuclear power, but I love the film The China Syndrome. For one thing, it's just a loving awesome movie. For another, it actually does highlight what's wrong with the American civilian nuclear program, which is that corruption made the design of the plants really relatively unsafe.

If you're interested in the whole story, I really suggest the documentary "A Is for Atom" from the Adam Curtis series Pandora's Box. Actually, every episode of that series is well done and amazing, as are all of his documentaries.

In any case, it's about how the nuclear business grew up in the US as opposed to the one in the USSR, and what that meant for reactor design.

USSR/Russia has had the worst accidents, though, so far, although Japan has been making a run at their title recently.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
Oh yeah. They had much more dangerous reactor designs. If I remember correctly, the RBMK style reactor didn't have any kind of containment besides the Upper Biological Shield, along with a bunch of other terrible design ideas that made it a disaster waiting to happen.

But, the US power plant design was basically just a huge version of the nuclear reactor used in submarines, which was never meant to be operated on the scale they operate on. I mean, poo poo, I live like 30 miles from this power plant, and it's kind of scary to imagine what would happen if a meltdown occurred.

If we really want to have safe, clean energy, the US needs to heavily invest in science education and research into new reactor designs. (Never gonna happen.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BUSH 2112 posted:

If we really want to have safe, clean energy, the US needs to heavily invest in science education and research into new reactor designs. (Never gonna happen.)
I thought there were actually several new reactor designs, like pebble beds and such, we just haven't built any of them because NO NUKES. I'm not sure if they've actually been built in like China or India or whatever, though.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Terror Sweat posted:

I'm pretty sure that this man:

is the reason that many people distrust nuclear power.

He played a huge part. When I was in 2nd grade some public relations people from Palo Verde Nuclear Plant came into our classroom and played a video and told us "that there maybe people at their plant that look like Homer Simpson, there's no one that acts like Homer Simpson."

Of course none of us had any idea why that was important and we basically cheered over any mentioning of the Simpsons (my school banned all Simpsons merchandise/t-shirts)

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spire_Christian_Comics

quote:

Spire Christian Comics was a line of comic books published by Fleming H. Revell starting in 1972. In 1981 Hugh Revell Barbour started his own company, Book Bargains, which soon became Barbour & Company. Barbour acquired the rights to republish many of the titles in the Spire Christian Comics line under the NEW Barbour Christian Comics imprint, keeping the comics in print until 1988.
Most of the Spire Comics were written and drawn by Al Hartley, who was working for Archie Comics at the time. Due to this connection, he was able to get permission to use the Archie characters in many of the comics.

And last but not least...

Slig
Mar 30, 2010

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Nessus posted:

I thought there were actually several new reactor designs, like pebble beds and such, we just haven't built any of them because NO NUKES. I'm not sure if they've actually been built in like China or India or whatever, though.

Pretty much this, the only thing the Environmentalist movement has done with regards to nuclear is make it so that it's next to impossible to decommission old plants to build newer, safer ones. This was a large factor in the Fukushima disaster.

LAMENTS EVERYTHING
Oct 29, 2004

Poke'mon Master Since 1998

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Moist von Lipwig posted:

France has incredibly low CO2 thanks to their nuclear program (65th in the world, below Iceland!).
Legit? I knew that we'd made a buncha stupid whiny poo poo at the Kyoto thang to get exceptions "Because we're so small~" by our whiny neo-liberal government but it's that bad? Goddamn. Have a dam:

Moist von Lipwig posted:

EDIT: Just going to clarify that the Rainbow Warrior bombing was basically an act of terrorism and the DGSE can go choke on their own guns as far as I'm concerned.
I was working at an art gallery with a bunch of pieces about whaling and the artist asked me to tell half the people that the pieces were pro-whaling and the other half anti-whaling so they would argue in the bus later.
It was fun, reminded me of when I was trolling the Greenpeace forums.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
What the gently caress ever. Have you ever asked yourself why environmentalists have literally no power or clout to accomplish anything they want, including blocking the Keystone XL pipeline, winning disclosures of fracking fluid ingredients, properly holding BP/TransOcean accountable for the Gulf disaster, etc., and aren't represented politically by anyone within the Overton window, and yet those drat green hippie fucks can somehow single-handedly stop construction of new nuclear power plants?

The public is misinformed about nuclear power; that has more to do with images coming out of Hiroshima and Chernobyl than it does anything "environmentalists" have done. Nuke plants are expensive to build, expensive to maintain, and expensive to operate, and this is a country that doesn't believe global warming is real so we don't need to factor that externality into the operating cost of natgas/coal plants.

The real enemies, if you're SilentD

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO14Hb5ra_c

:3:

Troolari
Aug 15, 2012

21:25 matt | hi my name is troolari
21:25 matt | *cuts hair like villain from 5th element*
Got the "Quotations from Chairman Mao" for christmas and/or Stalin's "official" birthday, and with Mao himself having his 119th anniversary next wednesday:

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

The translator makes him sound more smug than he probably did in Russian.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Fluoride Jones posted:

The translator makes him sound more smug than he probably did in Russian.

Yeah, he was going about it in a very matter-of-fact tone. Also fairly accurate!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Legit? I knew that we'd made a buncha stupid whiny poo poo at the Kyoto thang to get exceptions "Because we're so small~" by our whiny neo-liberal government but it's that bad? Goddamn. Have a dam:

That's per capita, obviously France emits a lot more carbon dioxide than Iceland overall. That said, the data available on Wikipedia shows that France produces roughly half as much carbon dioxide as Germany, when their respective populations are 65 and 81 millions.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The other side of the coin seems more convincing.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Santa Claus got arrested at the Texas state capitol for chalk-drawing on the driveway.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/occupy-austin/2012-12-21/1/

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Lake of Methane posted:

Santa Claus got arrested at the Texas state capitol for chalk-drawing on the driveway.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/occupy-austin/2012-12-21/1/

Of course it happens in Texas.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

The Daily News reminds me, in case you didn't know, at the same time LaPierre was giving his "blame everything including video games, Obama and hurricanes, except guns" speech, a man went on shooting spree in Pennsylvania, killing 4 and wounding several others, including 3 cops. Apparently the cops didn't have easy enough access to guns.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Amused to Death posted:

The Daily News reminds me, in case you didn't know, at the same time LaPierre was giving his "blame everything including video games, Obama and hurricanes, except guns" speech, a man went on shooting spree in Pennsylvania, killing 4 and wounding several others, including 3 cops. Apparently the cops didn't have easy enough access to guns.
Pffftttt, just character defamation from the liberal media, I mean look at this commie dreck.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Merry Christmas soon!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Amused to Death posted:

It'll be interesting to see how Fox et al deal with Murdoch's anti-gun views (by not talking about gun control at all?).

E: that last image was huge

exmarx fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 23, 2012

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

Exclamation Marx posted:

It'll be interesting to see how Fox et al deal with Murdoch's anti-gun views (by not talking about gun control at all?).

You seem to imagine Murdoch is principled and that this has some effect on coverage. You are mistaken. Fox News will quite happily tout guns and other Murdoch-owned properties will attack them.

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQss-EbCYcQ

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

ekuNNN posted:

Merry Christmas soon!

And a Happy New Year (С Новым Годом!)

My Russian is admittedly pretty poor, but I think this says something like "To children all over the planet--the world!"

edit: vvv Oh right I knew that. "Peace to children all over the planet" makes way more sense. Thanks!

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 23, 2012

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

VikingofRock posted:

My Russian is admittedly pretty poor, but I think this says something like "To children all over the planet--the world!"

Russian uses the same word for world and peace.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Smokey Mountain is an enormous garbage dump in the Philippines. I have been there from when I worked with an NGO that was concerned with the urban poor. It is basically the world's largest non-stop garbage fire. You would be tempted to say that the fires are from the population of nearly 30,000 itinerant people who live there, but no. Smokey Mountain catches fire because there is so much organic garbage there composting that it generates so much heat that it habitually catches on fire. People die there from inhaling toxic gases from burned off garbage constantly. They live by picking garbage and selling anything remotely profitable. They also live by picking 'food' off the dump. Seeing it, seeing how people live on it, illustrated to me that the world makes no sense. Literally no sense at all.

It is a bizarre place. Never have I been some where that garbage consists of the entire environment, the horizon, everything. From the center of the dump there is nothing you can see that is not the dump, and the toxic choking smoke of plastic bags burning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokey_Mountain

Imagine being this kid. You have grown up, and are surrounded by things that other people have thrown away. Your entire reason for existance is to crab through other people's garbage. You are among the 1%; the bottom 1%.

This is a documentary about Smokey Mountain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctdSki1iX9I

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Here's some weird Italian fascist art:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

also, random other pictures:

Pavel Popovich, Yuri Gagarin, Valentina Tereshkova, Valery Bykovsky, Andriyan Nikolayev and Gherman Titov at a TV studio (1963)

Battle of Cable Street, 1936

Russians Reaching the Reichstag, 1945

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pictures from the christmas truce where Germans and British decided to celebrate christmas together during WWI:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

ekuNNN posted:

Battle of Cable Street, 1936

Former Labour MP Sir Oswald Mosley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

These two are from the protests against the Notre Dame des Landes airport near Nantes. Some more from that protest, which is ongoing:

Big pile of tear gas canisters after the last time they kicked the protestors off of the airport's proposed site

Cops being dicks with firehoses at a protest in downtown Nantes

• Locked thread