Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

TinTower posted:

Was it just me, or was he incredibly uncomfortable with the Serena Williams joke at the end? I got that impression, although I was more dumbstruck at how transphobic that joke was I had to rewind twice. It's so bad, I broke my Ofcom duck, something I thought I'd never do. :smith:

At least the tranny joke in QI was actually funny, if incredibly old and Christmas cracker material.

It's really great that people are starting to take mainstream transphobia on television seriously, but it'd also be good if you also didn't use the word "tranny" while doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I thought Radcliffe was a brilliant host. He seems so drat likeable, there has to be something bad about him?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

thehustler posted:

I thought Radcliffe was a brilliant host. He seems so drat likeable, there has to be something bad about him?

He used to have a slightly awkward manner, which surprised me a bit from an actor, but he seems to have lost it now.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

thehustler posted:

I thought he was brilliant. One line that cracked me up was 'no I don't know what that means either and I got into the loving chamber of secrets when I was 12'.

Well delivered all round, had no problem making fun of himself. Good guest host, wouldnt work long term obviously cos the harry potter stuff would get old rapidly.

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 22, 2012

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

thehustler posted:

Didn't he become a raging alcoholic during filming of the Potter films? Does that fit your criteria?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That makes him all the better. Maybe he'll turn into Oliver Reed and save cinema.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Dude must have had a loving weird adolescence, can't hold that against him, really. It's a surprise he's not a strung out crazy man.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Jonnty posted:

It's really great that people are starting to take mainstream transphobia on television seriously, but it'd also be good if you also didn't use the word "tranny" while doing it.

Come on, you post in the politics megathread, surely you must know I'm trans myself? :confused:

But yeah, other than that joke, he was a pretty good host.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

He's still a likeable guy but his life isn't all that swimming, he wants to be an actual actor but it's kind of hard to find your place as that when everyone sees you as Harry Potter, and everywhere in the world he goes people will start screaming Harry Potter at him.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

piratepilates posted:

He's still a likeable guy but his life isn't all that swimming, he wants to be an actual actor but it's kind of hard to find your place as that when everyone sees you as Harry Potter, and everywhere in the world he goes people will start screaming Harry Potter at him.
Also he's not a very good actor which probably doesn't help.

TinTower posted:

Come on, you post in the politics megathread, surely you must know I'm trans myself? :confused:
Consider that some people might take issue with a homosexual referring to themselves as a human being or queer.

Edit: Not saying I'm one of those people.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 22, 2012

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

TinTower posted:

But yeah, other than that joke, he was a pretty good host.

Oh, sorry. Fair enough then.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

piratepilates posted:

Yeah, I kinda felt bad for him as the episode went on - he seems like a nice enough guy, even if I imagine he's sick of the Harry Potter stuff by now :smith:

Also: that Serena Wilson joke :gonk:

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

For those of us bereft because there's no more The Killing on BBC4 anymore, there's a documentary about the women of Hollywood called "Arena: Screen Goddesses" on instead right now. It's rather glorious, seeing the evolution of women on film.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Akuma posted:

Also he's not a very good actor which probably doesn't help.
Do you think so?

I mean he proved very capable of delivering the auto-cue lines on HIGNFY and went off script a little. I sure couldnt do that. Kids still only young, seems to have the basics, might be turn into something cool. (like playing snarf in the thundercats film tee hee)

But seriously I see no reason to say he is a bad actor so far.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Seaside Loafer posted:

Do you think so?

I mean he proved very capable of delivering the auto-cue lines on HIGNFY and went off script a little. I sure couldnt do that. Kids still only young, seems to have the basics, might be turn into something cool. (like playing snarf in the thundercats film tee hee)

But seriously I see no reason to say he is a bad actor so far.
What about his bad acting in the Harry Potter films?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I liked him in A Young Doctor's Notebook, bought him as a young John Hamm. Has good comic delivery.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Plus he got very good notices when he was on stage. And he's the lead in 'Horns', based on the fantastic book. It's not an easy role so I hope he nails it (And the american accent).

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Carrier posted:

Well he was either a kid or probably drunk for most of those, plus I doubt anyone would really try hard to act in those movies since no one would care and you'd still make megabux.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
He was a poo poo actor when he was a kid but it's like any skill, you get better. He's been doing it for over a decade now, working with lots of directors and other actors. He'll never win an Oscar but he's not a wooden little boy anymore either.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Hoops posted:

he's not a wooden little boy anymore either.

He's a real boy!

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Early Brando.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZNttN3hiEw

e: the point being brando is 23 and he is poo poo, obviously harry ain't going to be much of a heartthrob unless he grows a foot and becomes gorgeous but he must be well trained in the 'art' of acting by now and who is to say he wont get better.

it would be well cool if he ended up as phil michtals basterd son on eastenders.

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 23, 2012

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Carrier posted:

Pretty much half his scenes in the later ones consisted of "stand around while another character talks at you", nobody in the world can pull that off without looking wooden.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I went to see Equus. There is no part of Daniel Radcliffe as an actor that is stiff, wooden or rigid. He's going to work as long as he wants and he's got the talent to back it up. The only question is whether or not he's going to turn out good enough to do good work with crappy material, and there's very few people who can actually do that.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

piratepilates posted:

Now that leads me to a question as someone not from the UK, how was David Baddiel at some point popular?

Baddiel's 'as a famous comedian, I'm just as qualified as a trained x' on Monkey Dust was good, but he lost any good will from me after being on AIOTM - he described his routine about the 'school spanner', then after receiving a letter from said spanner's sister, asking him to show some compassion as his life had been effectively ruined by years of bullying and abuse, he just waved it off as 'well he was the school spanner so he deserved it'.

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 23, 2012

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Trin Tragula posted:

I went to see Equus. There is no part of Daniel Radcliffe as an actor that is stiff, wooden or rigid.

Were you making a dick joke here or am I reading too much into it?

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Seeing Trev and Simon with grey hair on Pointless this week made me feel old. Also I still cannot place Simon's accent.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
This thread talks more about celebrities now than actually telly I've noticed.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's because everything on television is poo poo.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

goatface posted:

That's because everything on television is poo poo.

It has been a mostly poo poo year on TV for us to be fair, outside the scandals of course.

I mean they comissioned The Revolution after all. Twats.

All the good stuff is on iPlayer Factual more or less for me now.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

SeanBeansShako posted:

It has been a mostly poo poo year on TV for us to be fair, outside the scandals of course.

I mean they comissioned The Revolution after all. Twats.

Well, considering that by post count, you account for more than 50% of this thread who's fault is that?

WHO'S FAULT IS THAT THEN?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oh god it it is mine. What horrors hath I unleashed?

But new Screenwipe will fix everything next year!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Mickolution posted:

Were you making a dick joke here or am I reading too much into it?

Rigid! Fistup! Bottom! Out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qffCXkhodks

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Can no longer watch Raymond Briggs' The Snowman without thinking of that blasted Irn Bru advert, and neither can my small nieces and nephews, judging by the way they keep singing

"Now I’m falling through the air,
I wonder where I’m going to land.
He nicked my Irn-Bru
And let go of my hand.
"

Bloody adverts, ruining a traditional Christmas favourite and wrecking the magic of childhood...

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

SeanBeansShako posted:

A thousand times this. Any time I want to watch TV these days, my routine is iPlayer > Factual > Science & Nature. Maybe occasionally I'll venture over to Factual > History, but that is a rare occurrence.

Thank gently caress for BBC4.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Irisi posted:

Can no longer watch Raymond Briggs' The Snowman without thinking of that blasted Irn Bru advert

Good. Hopefully that means everyone else will react the same way and they'll come up with something new to show instead of trotting out the same old poo poo every year.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Flatscan posted:

Good. Hopefully that means everyone else will react the same way and they'll come up with something new to show instead of trotting out the same old poo poo every year.

You mean like the snowman 2?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

fluppet posted:

You mean like the snowman 2?

Dear god no...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Flatscan posted:

Dear god no...
I can't tell from your post if you actually knew about the Snowman sequel that's on telly this Christmas. I hope you didn't know. That's funnier.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Akuma posted:

I can't tell from your post if you actually knew about the Snowman sequel that's on telly this Christmas. I hope you didn't know. That's funnier.

Thinking back, I do vaguely remember reading about it a while ago, but I had completely forgotten until fluppet brought it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
The ending better be bleak as poo poo like the first one. Seriously, that was an education to 5 year old me.