Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
yay beat O+S finally. The difference between a +1 and +5 ascended glove is pretty staggering. Also learning how to dodge forward with super ornstein helps a ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Skilleddk posted:

Goddamn it guys help me out, someone must have had the same issue. I've been without Dark Souls for three days and I was forced to resub to WoW :ohdear:

Basically, whenever I start a game on any character (new characters even), I instantly fall through the world, die, and repeat. I've reinstalled the game, verified files and nothing loving works. Also the colors of my characters are way off. I haven't done anything with the cheatengine (never downloaded even)

Have you updated DSFix? There was a patch to Dark Souls last week that broke some of its features, and it could be related to that.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Skilleddk posted:

Goddamn it guys help me out, someone must have had the same issue. I've been without Dark Souls for three days and I was forced to resub to WoW :ohdear:

Basically, whenever I start a game on any character (new characters even), I instantly fall through the world, die, and repeat. I've reinstalled the game, verified files and nothing loving works. Also the colors of my characters are way off. I haven't done anything with the cheatengine (never downloaded even)

On the plus side you can recreate this experience as a Combat Rogue.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

quaunaut posted:

I'm fairly sure I hosed my character up though. My vitality is at 12 while my Endurance is at 25. Warrior. Someone told me "Stamina is all that matters" and now pretty much every fight is a question of whether I lost half my HP in a hit or not.

Unless you're planning on doing PvP later, there's really no such thing as loving up your character; you can always just get more souls and keep leveling up. That said, 25 endurance should be plenty for now. I would start putting points in either vitality or your primary damage stat (most non-spellcasting characters have either a very high strength with just enough dexterity to use the weapon they want, or vice versa).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

quaunaut posted:

I'm fairly sure I hosed my character up though. My vitality is at 12 while my Endurance is at 25. Warrior. Someone told me "Stamina is all that matters" and now pretty much every fight is a question of whether I lost half my HP in a hit or not.

No, you're doing it right.

In general a slightly more balanced approach is a good idea, but if you're making an END build you can finish the game without putting a single point in VIT by tanking everything and everyone.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

That's every battle in this game. Keep raising your END unless you're getting one-shot by everything or find a new weapon you need better stats for, and want to use. Don't forget to upgrade your shield and pieces of armor. Armor itself doesn't matter, wear whatever looks cool, but make sure to upgrade it
Armor isn't entirely useless. Poise helps, it can significantly boost your poison or curse resist with the right set for certain situations, and wandering around in fully upgraded Black Iron means you can be kinda sloppy around early-game enemies without worrying about getting killed.

... Against anything you should actually be scared about though yeah armor is not going to do much other than make you take three or four hits to die instead of one or two.

Also, get a good shield.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Zereth posted:

Armor isn't entirely useless. Poise helps, it can significantly boost your poison or curse resist with the right set for certain situations, and wandering around in fully upgraded Black Iron means you can be kinda sloppy around early-game enemies without worrying about getting killed.

... Against anything you should actually be scared about though yeah armor is not going to do much other than make you take three or four hits to die instead of one or two.

Also, get a good shield.

Are you saying my Knight's shield isn't good enough for you?

More seriously: Managed to get myself quite a bit further, pretty much to the end of Darkroot Garden, except I need to go back at kill myself the Bell Gargoyles. Also, those Stone Guardian/Golem/things, holy poo poo are they cool. Not-too-difficult, but still requiring precision, and 600 souls per kill? Why yes I'd like to take all 5 per run, plus all the bushes running about.

Also managed to get myself the Wolf Ring. The extra 40 poise I think is gonna do wonders for me.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

quaunaut posted:

More seriously: Managed to get myself quite a bit further, pretty much to the end of Darkroot Garden, except I need to go back at kill myself the Bell Gargoyles. Also, those Stone Guardian/Golem/things, holy poo poo are they cool. Not-too-difficult, but still requiring precision, and 600 souls per kill? Why yes I'd like to take all 5 per run, plus all the bushes running about.

Also managed to get myself the Wolf Ring. The extra 40 poise I think is gonna do wonders for me.

If you want to farm souls, go to the depths bonfire. Kill slimes, then kill rats. Most useful for farming large titanite and humanity but you do souls too. Best place for it at the point where you are at now.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

quaunaut posted:

It's got 100% physical block, I believe, but isn't otherwise very good. The... Heater Shield is a good choice, I think, available from either the undead merchant or the blacksmith.

And 600 souls is going to be chump change once you get a bit farther on. :getin:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I've been playing around with the Balder Side Sword and Uchigatana, do either of them have good upgrade paths beside +15? Like Lightning or Fire, even Magic too. It looks like Lightning BSS has some good stats.

A Rabid Llama
Aug 19, 2003

Donkey PUNCH

GoldenNugget posted:

If you want to farm souls, go to the depths bonfire. Kill slimes, then kill rats. Most useful for farming large titanite and humanity but you do souls too. Best place for it at the point where you are at now.
And if you're going to kill slimes, definitely grab a pyro hand and Combustion, one-shots two or three of them at a time.

Kamer Kamer Cola
Dec 25, 2009
Is there a guide on how to use cheat engine to modify a character's stats?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kamer Kamer Cola posted:

There's an entire Dark Souls cheat engine table out there that can do it for you by giving you values to change instead of making you search for them yourself. I don't think it's been updated for the latest patch though.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Kamer Kamer Cola posted:

Download Cheat Engine.
Download this CE table, put it in My Documents/My Cheat Tables/.
Start up DS, load game.
Start up CE, prompt should come up asking if you want to load the table. If nothing comes up just open the table manually (Ctrl+O).
Check the box next to "Enable Table" and go back to the game.
Run around for a second to let the CE table get all the values it needs.
Alt-tab back out and change whatever values you want.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I'm LVL 20 and desperately need help against Sif. I just can't get the hang of of that fight.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

NeilPerry posted:

I'm LVL 20 and desperately need help against Sif. I just can't get the hang of of that fight.

You don't need to kill her until much later(unless you're doing a not-quite-low SL run or something) so I suggest you just wait and come back another time.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I've been playing around with the Balder Side Sword and Uchigatana, do either of them have good upgrade paths beside +15? Like Lightning or Fire, even Magic too. It looks like Lightning BSS has some good stats.
Depends on how much dex you're planning on having.
If you're only going for the bare minimum required for those weapon, you won't get much damage increase out of the scaling so you might as well go for a lightning sword.
But if you're planning to pump dex the normal upgrade path is better. It may seem that for example +5 lightning uchi does more damage then a regular +15 one with dex 40. But the lightning's damage is spread over two damage types and will end up doing less damage. Also weapons in the regular upgrade patch are enchantable, which can provide a heave damage boost.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

How important is it that I use a gamepad for this? It's not a big deal or anything, I have a 360 controller laying around; I just want to know if I'm going to have trouble if I use mouse and keyboard since I'm not a fan of controllers.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Pharmaskittle posted:

How important is it that I use a gamepad for this? It's not a big deal or anything, I have a 360 controller laying around; I just want to know if I'm going to have trouble if I use mouse and keyboard since I'm not a fan of controllers.

It's playable if you download the mouse fix but the gamepad is still preferred.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Just spent 2 hours trying to navigate Tomb of the Giants. Then, found out I really don't need to be there for a long time. Is it worth the frustration to grab the XP ring?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Just spent 2 hours trying to navigate Tomb of the Giants. Then, found out I really don't need to be there for a long time. Is it worth the frustration to grab the XP ring?

No.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Is there a second winged spear somewhere in the game? I stupidly fed it (plus the zweihander) to Frampt.

If not, I guess my only option is to try to find someone who has a spare and wouldn't mind giving me one of each. :(

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

If you've already hit the bonfire down there so that you need to take the long way out, you might as well go get the silver ring.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Are you using miracles in your build? If so, there's someone down there you should rescue before leaving (and then make sure you buy their stuff before you defeat the next couple of bosses).

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The current cheat tables are mostly broken. God willing, nobody will post totally fixed versions with everything in them. Almost nobody knows how to use them responsibly.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Is there a second winged spear somewhere in the game? I stupidly fed it (plus the zweihander) to Frampt.

If not, I guess my only option is to try to find someone who has a spare and wouldn't mind giving me one of each. :(

I'll cough up a set for you, if you wish.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You don't need to kill her until much later(unless you're doing a not-quite-low SL run or something) so I suggest you just wait and come back another time.

I was aiming for a Darkwraith with a character build I wasn't used to. However, it turns out I'm much better at this game than I thought and I managed to kill her the second time around.

NeilPerry fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 24, 2012

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It's playable if you download the mouse fix but the gamepad is still preferred.

I'd say while playing with a keyboard (w/ mouse fix) isn't ideal, it is aboslutely certainly doable and isn't a terrible detriment except in tense spots.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

quaunaut posted:

The main problem with the Knight's Shield is how goddamn heavy it is. There are many similar shields that are much lighter than it, such as the already mentioned Heater Shield.

Those Stone Golems can also drop their equipment, if you'd like to use the stuff~
You can even cast the same spell they cast with their sword~

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Hooooly poo poo i just got put in my place. I've been invading a bunch as maneater manfred in anor londo, I just logged on tonight and managed 3 kills in a row so I was feeling pretty jazzed.

I get another invasion, I spawn in, I run into the bonfire room there and there is some guy there with the usual newbie formula of lightning spear, grass crest shield and random pieces of armour. He bows to me so I do the retarded 2h R2 cleaver smash on him then hit him again immediately. He's down to like 20 friggin health or something and the grass crest shield isnt 100 physical resist so I figure I'll wail on him till he dies.

My very next hit he parries and ripostes me. When he sticks the spear through me it only does a tiny bit of damage so I figure this guy is done. Then he pushes me on the ground and shoves it further through and I die immediately. Turns out he had the hornet ring and that's the alternate animation.

I sent him a message afterwards saying how awesome it was.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
gently caress yes, just beat the Gaping Dragon with the help of a sunbro and Solaire. I dunno if it displays my in-game name or Steam name, but if any of you helped either a Chandra Embra or El Tigre Negro, thank you kindly. :3:

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Hooooly poo poo i just got put in my place. I've been invading a bunch as maneater manfred in anor londo, I just logged on tonight and managed 3 kills in a row so I was feeling pretty jazzed.

I get another invasion, I spawn in, I run into the bonfire room there and there is some guy there with the usual newbie formula of lightning spear, grass crest shield and random pieces of armour. He bows to me so I do the retarded 2h R2 cleaver smash on him then hit him again immediately. He's down to like 20 friggin health or something and the grass crest shield isnt 100 physical resist so I figure I'll wail on him till he dies.

My very next hit he parries and ripostes me. When he sticks the spear through me it only does a tiny bit of damage so I figure this guy is done. Then he pushes me on the ground and shoves it further through and I die immediately. Turns out he had the hornet ring and that's the alternate animation.

I sent him a message afterwards saying how awesome it was.

So basically, this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtT2xYZbWBs

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
I killed Patches in the Catacombs. Also, that guy that sells the weirdo gear in the sewers. Toads, quit being stupid. :argh:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Sucks to be you, sewer guy sells some neat looking armours later on.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

I killed Patches in the Catacombs. Also, that guy that sells the weirdo gear in the sewers. Toads, quit being stupid. :argh:

Why did you kill Domhall? That guy never did anything to you, and he sells you the armor of the best bosses in the game once you beat them. That's almost as bad as killing Andre.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Why did you kill Domhall? That guy never did anything to you, and he sells you the armor of the best bosses in the game once you beat them. That's almost as bad as killing Andre.

Almost definitely worse. Sure, you cut off upgrades with Andre, but Domnhall is the cheeriest character you meet in the entire game, not to mention one of the very few who never goes hollow or even really has anything weighing him down. He's one of the rare points of light in the darkness of Lordran and you went and snuffed him out. :(

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

I can't wait to see your reaction to the Tomb of the Giants :allears:

"*pant...pant...pant...*"

I hate you right now. A two minute comic demonstrating what happened.

The Tomb of Giants; or The Ladder to the Atramentous Abyss - An Act in Two Parts

The monstrous Pinwheel art vanquished! What awaits our hero?

"...gently caress."

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Domnhall is my favorite character so far. Why would anyone want to kill him? :(

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Beard Yawn posted:

Domnhall is my favorite character so far. Why would anyone want to kill him? :(

Seriously, he doesn't even give you lip when you don't buy anything. He's just all "Oh that's cool, see you around."

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Thanks for the advice on how to present my brother with his Dark Souls code, guys! I might make the Archer gif into a comic, or, if I'm feeling lazy, just print out a big "YOU DIED" screenshot and put "Welcome to Dark Souls. Prepare to Die! A lot!" at the bottom with the code." Anyone know of a good way to pull stills from a gif?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ok, so I feel like there's something in Anor Londo's room with all of the drake heads on the wall. Is there?

• Locked thread