Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
I have a Topre keyboard at home and I wish I could get one at work, but they wouldn't accept that a $300 keyboard is worth it :smith:

What are my options if I'm looking for something purely for word processing/email/office work that's relatively quiet and not totally rear end to type on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

fookolt posted:

I have a Topre keyboard at home and I wish I could get one at work, but they wouldn't accept that a $300 keyboard is worth it :smith:

What are my options if I'm looking for something purely for word processing/email/office work that's relatively quiet and not totally rear end to type on?

Cherry browns are pretty good for general typing, rosewill or CM make cheap but decent boards.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

fookolt posted:

I always try to defer the cost by pointing out how expensive other things are.

"Oh, I can't have a nice keyboard that I type on for minimum of 8 hours a day? It's only $300, and it will last a lifetime. It costs us $1200 just to replace the CMYK toner cartridges in our laser printer, and that's every 4 months. This keyboard is an investment, and a thrifty one compared to many of our other recurring expenses. Not only will it save us money in the short run, it could reduce the chances of any sort or repetitive stress injury I could incur in the long-run, which would certainly cost our insurance plan a pretty penny."

At this point flash a toothy, carnivorous grin, and just stare at them until they cave.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's convincing them it will save money short term that's the difficult bit.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
I just bring my own. It's an excuse to own yet another keyboard. :v:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I always try to defer the cost by pointing out how expensive other things are.

"Oh, I can't have a nice keyboard that I type on for minimum of 8 hours a day? It's only $300, and it will last a lifetime. It costs us $1200 just to replace the CMYK toner cartridges in our laser printer, and that's every 4 months. This keyboard is an investment, and a thrifty one compared to many of our other recurring expenses. Not only will it save us money in the short run, it could reduce the chances of any sort or repetitive stress injury I could incur in the long-run, which would certainly cost our insurance plan a pretty penny."

At this point flash a toothy, carnivorous grin, and just stare at them until they cave.

I work at a non-profit :negative:

I also have to do a lot of typing during conference calls and web meetings so would a Cherry Brown not be too distracting for that? I don't have a problem getting something that isn't mechanical as long as it isn't total rear end to type on and it's relatively quiet.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Browns make noise. Blues make a boatload of noise. You'll be ok with browns.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Browns make noise. But it's a good amount of noise; just enough to be able to type while, for instance, looking at an address or something.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

fookolt posted:

I work at a non-profit :negative:

I also have to do a lot of typing during conference calls and web meetings so would a Cherry Brown not be too distracting for that? I don't have a problem getting something that isn't mechanical as long as it isn't total rear end to type on and it's relatively quiet.

I've got an 87U for use at work and an MX brown Leopold for use at home. Depending on how hard you strike the MX brown switch, it will emit an acceptable or unacceptable amount of noise. I'm pretty ham-fisted when it comes to typing, hence the Topre stays at work.

If there's no coin for a Topre, then I guess any high quality rubber dome should be alright?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

krooj posted:

I've got an 87U for use at work and an MX brown Leopold for use at home. Depending on how hard you strike the MX brown switch, it will emit an acceptable or unacceptable amount of noise. I'm pretty ham-fisted when it comes to typing, hence the Topre stays at work.

If there's no coin for a Topre, then I guess any high quality rubber dome should be alright?

Yeah, I'm thinking a good rubber dome is my best bet. What are my options for that?

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

fookolt posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking a good rubber dome is my best bet. What are my options for that?

Perhaps a HHKB Lite? If memory serves, the OG Microsoft Natural is really nice, while it lasts.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The old Dell OEM keyboard is practically a poster child for the cheap as chips but still decent rubber dome keyboard.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I've always found Keytronic keyboards to be pretty good for rubber domes. They made a lot of OEM keyboards that would come with PCs. I haven't tried their modern keyboards but I'd assume they're of the same quality. Before I got a mechanical keyboard, I was using a Keytronic one that came with an old Gateway PC.

Other than that, I've always liked Microsoft and Dell keyboards too.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Keytronics are some of my favorites, the ones that were essentially complete rip-offs of the Model M design felt really good for a rubber dome.

Then they started making all their keyboards with tiny backspaces and oversized Enter keys exclusively. :sigh:

Wax On
Mar 22, 2007

drop a bat beat
Didn't see it posted yet but Monoprice has some mechanical boards for sale. Cherry blue full size for $50: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=9433&seq=1&format=2

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen

Wax On posted:

Didn't see it posted yet but Monoprice has some mechanical boards for sale. Cherry blue full size for $50: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=9433&seq=1&format=2

Wow, that's really cheap. If they get that with brown switches I'll pick one up.

Sad 2 Da Bone
Feb 13, 2012
I've got a Das Keyboard Ultimate whatever that I've had for a month or so, and while transporting it to work today an unfortunate thing happened: it fell keys-first and the plunger part of the switch on the tilde key has snapped:

I first contemplated using some glue, but given my track record using the stuff I anticipate that will lead to disappointing results and likely destruction of the rest of the keyboard. After poking around online a bit, most of what I found was people doing horrible things to their wonderful keyboards. From what I gathered, it looks like the "fix" for this would be replacing the switch, which involves soldering (which I've never done) and a replacement switch (which I don't have, save using one from another key, leaving what as once beautiful ugly).

I'm wondering if anyone here has torn one of these things down and has any advice before I completely ruin this thing, or any other suggestions on solutions to my neglectful keyboard parenting.

Sad 2 Da Bone fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 18, 2012

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Spoony Bard posted:

I've got a Das Keyboard Ultimate whatever that I've had for a month or so, and while transporting it to work today an unfortunate thing happened: it fell keys-first and the plunger part of the switch on the tilde key has snapped:

I first contemplated using some glue, but given my track record using the stuff I anticipate that will lead to disappointing results and likely destruction of the rest of the keyboard. After poking around online a bit, most of what I found was people doing horrible things to their wonderful keyboards. From what I gathered, it looks like the "fix" for this would be replacing the switch, which involves soldering (which I've never done) and a replacement switch (which I don't have, save using one from another key, leaving what as once beautiful ugly).

I'm wondering if anyone here has torn one of these things down and has any advice before I completely ruin this thing, or any other suggestions on solutions to my neglectful keyboard parenting.

Soldering a new switch in would be the easiest and best replacement since the stem is snapped in two on your switch. If you've never soldered before you might try to find help, especially if they have a soldering iron and desoldering pump/sucker or braid. You can buy individual cherry switches from many electronics suppliers online (like Mouser or Digikey for example), or from WASDKeyboards. They're usually in the 60c-$2 range (depending on quantity and shipping, etc).

Here's a video of a guy desoldering a bunch of switches really fast, which takes practice but it's pretty easy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbJh8j9qf_Y

There's some videos on youtube of people replacing stems and switch internals without desoldering but they don't have plate mounted switches, so you won't be able to do that, unfortunately.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
My 5-7 year old Microsoft wireless ergonomic keyboard is losing connection more and more frequently and so I think it's time to retire the poor bastard, but I don't wan't to pay a ton of money for a new keyboard.

What's the best keyboard you can get for under $50? I don't really need anything except a sensible layout and a lack of cheap feeling keys (I hate mushy-ness). A plus would be easy cleaning but it's not necessary, I know I'm already asking for a lot at >$50.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Rexxed posted:

There's some videos on youtube of people replacing stems and switch internals without desoldering but they don't have plate mounted switches, so you won't be able to do that, unfortunately.

On a plate mounted kb, it's literally 2 or 3 small points to desolder. I had to do it on an old kb for two switches. Took more time to disassemble and reassemble the board than to do the solder work.

Sad 2 Da Bone
Feb 13, 2012

Rexxed posted:

Soldering a new switch in would be the easiest and best replacement since the stem is snapped in two on your switch. If you've never soldered before you might try to find help, especially if they have a soldering iron and desoldering pump/sucker or braid. You can buy individual cherry switches from many electronics suppliers online (like Mouser or Digikey for example), or from WASDKeyboards. They're usually in the 60c-$2 range (depending on quantity and shipping, etc).

Here's a video of a guy desoldering a bunch of switches really fast, which takes practice but it's pretty easy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbJh8j9qf_Y

Thanks for the helpful info - I've ordered a handful of various cherry MX switches from WASD to taste the rainbow, and in the meantime I'll learn how to (de)solder things. I figure it's a useful skill to have and that I should learn anyway.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
Got a 2012 model BlackWidow Ultimate on sale. I'll never be able to go back to rubber membrane. Blues feel so unbelievably nice and well-suited to my caveman-like typing style.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I recently got a QuickFire Rapid with cherry MX blues and really love the clicky keys, even for gaming.

The only thing I've noticed is that sometimes the P key doesn't register that it's being pressed. If I pop the keycap off and press the switch with my finger, it always seems to detect that. When I put the keycap back on, it works for a while, but eventually seems to not register the keypress anymore. Is this worth trying to RMA the board? I can't figure out why the problem seems to be with the keycap and not the switch.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Parker Lewis posted:

I recently got a QuickFire Rapid with cherry MX blues and really love the clicky keys, even for gaming.

The only thing I've noticed is that sometimes the P key doesn't register that it's being pressed. If I pop the keycap off and press the switch with my finger, it always seems to detect that. When I put the keycap back on, it works for a while, but eventually seems to not register the keypress anymore. Is this worth trying to RMA the board? I can't figure out why the problem seems to be with the keycap and not the switch.

You could try RMA-ing. If you're beyond the retailer RMA period CM is pretty good about them. I had an alt key that either went out or never worked (I use Find and Run Robot with the alt key in question and space bar, so I needed it working) and they just told me to ship it to them (did not start the RMA process as I realized I was within retailer period still) and if the retailer RMA didn't work, they could start one for me no problem.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Parker Lewis posted:

Check the keycap for jaggies first. If it's been badly molded it might get just a little bit stuck if you press it the right way. I had problems like that on a Razer Blackwidow, though mostly some keys got stuck down. Few pulls on a file and some sand paper fixed it.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

General Emergency posted:

Check the keycap for jaggies first. If it's been badly molded it might get just a little bit stuck if you press it the right way. I had problems like that on a Razer Blackwidow, though mostly some keys got stuck down. Few pulls on a file and some sand paper fixed it.

Will do, that makes sense and would explain the issue I'm having. Thanks!

dox
Mar 4, 2006
What's the best way to clean out all the gross bits in my Filco keyboard? Some shaking and compressed air?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Does anyone have any recommendations for mechanical bluetooth keyboards for use with iDevices? I have my eye on this one and was wondering if there is a better option I'm not seeing.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

It has a built in timer to turn off your keyboard when your instant noodles are done. I don't think a better option exists. (I also don't know of any other option that exists.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Internet Friend posted:

It has a built in timer to turn off your keyboard when your instant noodles are done. I don't think a better option exists. (I also don't know of any other option that exists.)

And a "Please Work Out" macro! This is clearly the best keyboard. I look down at my keyboard, and it has no keys to support quick ramen, nor getting swole. It feels hollow and inadequate now.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

dox posted:

What's the best way to clean out all the gross bits in my Filco keyboard? Some shaking and compressed air?

If you use a keycap puller to take the caps off, the top will just be the switch tops above the plate, so it should be easier to clean. It helps to have a reference picture when putting the keys back quickly.

Rat Supremacy
Jul 15, 2007

The custom title is an image and/or line of text that appears below your name in the forums
I'm looking for a value-for-money keyboard that has these things:

* Traditional button layout: So proper F1..12 keys in the right place, and none of that sleep/power bullshit, or moving around of Insert/Home/PageUp etc.
* Numpad
* Minimal but present media keys - Play/Pause being the main one.
* UK Layout
* Super keys
* Wired

I don't really care about mechanical switches seeing as those things are extremely expensive anyway. My primary uses are coding and gaming. HOWEVER I'm intrigued by the idea so if there's a cheap "entry level" mechanical keyboard (<£30) I'd be willing to try it.

I'm currently using this fucker which is alright except the crap little F keys are all jammed as gently caress because they are poo poo. I want proper F keys!

That Dell keyboard that came with everything was alright but didn't have media keys.

This one looks kinda good, though I'm not sure about those F keys.

Rat Supremacy fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Dec 23, 2012

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Is there any supplier in the UK that has a keyboard with Cherry Brown switches for less than £100 and has actual stock in? Blue, Red and Black all seem easy to come by but the only Brown ones I can find are Filco and Zowie boards, which are great but I can't really justify £110. I found a Q-Pad MK-50 at Overclockers but it's been listed as overdue for new stock for over a week, and even the Q-Pad company site is out of stock for everything with Brown switches. There so popular that they're out of stock everywhere and yet most other keyboards only seem to come with Red or Black switches. :psyduck:

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Scikar posted:

Is there any supplier in the UK that has a keyboard with Cherry Brown switches for less than £100 and has actual stock in? Blue, Red and Black all seem easy to come by but the only Brown ones I can find are Filco and Zowie boards, which are great but I can't really justify £110. I found a Q-Pad MK-50 at Overclockers but it's been listed as overdue for new stock for over a week, and even the Q-Pad company site is out of stock for everything with Brown switches. There so popular that they're out of stock everywhere and yet most other keyboards only seem to come with Red or Black switches. :psyduck:

Yep, Scan has the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid brown switch keyboard I ordered one on Friday, should come on Monday so I'll let you know what I think. AFAIK the ones Scan are selling are the second generation Quickfire Rapids without all the horrible branding.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Blaisedell posted:

Yep, Scan has the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid brown switch keyboard I ordered one on Friday, should come on Monday so I'll let you know what I think. AFAIK the ones Scan are selling are the second generation Quickfire Rapids without all the horrible branding.

That looks pretty good actually, not sure if I could go tenkeyless but it's more the price I was looking for. Is it definitely UK layout, not the US one in the pictures (why do UK suppliers do this)?

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Scikar posted:

That looks pretty good actually, not sure if I could go tenkeyless but it's more the price I was looking for. Is it definitely UK layout, not the US one in the pictures (why do UK suppliers do this)?

I'm not sure, I hope it's UK layout, but that page really isn't clear about it at all. Those CM Storm keyboards are apparently built by the same people as Filco keyboards so it should at least be good quality.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
It's definitely a UK Layout. I ordered the exact one from Scan a few months ago. It doesn't have all the branding on it, either. There is a logo on the top edge where the cable goes in which you'll never see.

Scan is a good retailer. Same for Overclockers.co.uk. They're sometimes cheaper and sometimes not, but they don't have any Free delivery options. Both of their customer service is really good and they have active forums.

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train
I ordered the Rosewill with Cherry MX Blues against the Das based on suggestions from this thread & the price difference. I don't live in the US so I had to have a friend from there bring it over for his Christmas visit. The box is red, it says linear on it, its product number is suffixed "RE," and... it has Cherry MX Red switches. But Amazon's little barcode sticker says it's the Blue. Life is so hard :argh:

Now, I could just send it back with my buddy and get a refund, but then I'd just be stuck with the same crappy mushy keyboard I've been using, and god knows when I'd be able to get another keyboard (all that's available here is the Razer Blackwidow Expert, and while that's available in Blue, I hear it's not very well made. And Amazon's going to give me a 30% refund, so I have decided to keep it.

Observations: as you might expect, it's very light to the touch. Typing speed is vastly, vastly improved over the cheap Logitech K360 I was using, but this seems to come at the cost of accuracy. Obviously it'll take me some time to adjust to the metrics and action of this new keyboard, but maybe it will work out after all. Still wish I got the Blue though. Oh well. Haven't tried it in games yet.

cancelope fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 24, 2012

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I got my mom a logitech washable because she likes her chiclet/island style keyboard but its wireless is janky as gently caress (GE brand). It's a wired boared with raised chiclet keys. The action feels similar to the K750, light but definite force required to actuate and enough spring back to make it feel more crisp than regular rubber domes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

haywire posted:

I'm looking for a value-for-money keyboard that has these things:

* Traditional button layout: So proper F1..12 keys in the right place, and none of that sleep/power bullshit, or moving around of Insert/Home/PageUp etc.
* Numpad
* Minimal but present media keys - Play/Pause being the main one.
* UK Layout
* Super keys
* Wired

You probably want the premium version of the Dell keyboard.
ie. the UK layout version of this:

• Locked thread