Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Speaking of FO3, why do I never see anyone give it credit for doing a shitload of the legwork for the Gamebryo Fallouts? I'm not taking anything away from NV, but when a significant amount of your assets are already provided it frees up a lot of time to work on other parts of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Yip Yips posted:

Speaking of FO3, why do I never see anyone give it credit for doing a shitload of the legwork for the Gamebryo Fallouts? I'm not taking anything away from NV, but when a significant amount of your assets are already provided it frees up a lot of time to work on other parts of the game.

I doubt anyone with a lick of sense would seriously disagree with the position that without FO3, NV would not exist.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Good God people this is entertainment, who even cares what's "official" canon? They're video games, not the second law of thermodynamics. You don't like Fallout 3? Just go from F2 to New Vegas and pretend it never happened. Same with the Star Wars prequels, The Thing 2, Mass Effect 3's Omega DLC, and that new season of Arrested Development if it sucks.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Good God people this is entertainment, who even cares what's "official" canon? They're video games, not the second law of thermodynamics. You don't like Fallout 3? Just go from F2 to New Vegas and pretend it never happened. Same with the Star Wars prequels, The Thing 2, Mass Effect 3's Omega DLC, and that new season of Arrested Development if it sucks.

Agreed in principle, but I think it would be fair to discuss what is and isn't canon so that unwitting people don't subject themselves to false Canon.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Agreed in principle, but I think it would be fair to discuss what is and isn't canon so that unwitting people don't subject themselves to false Canon.

Fallout 1,2,3 and New Vegas are canon, when the player can affect the outcome of a story, the canon outcome is shown if that plot point is picked up by later games.

Brotherhood of Steel is non-canon, as are Xtreme and the unfinished Playstation 1 title, and the film treatment, as well as anything made for Fallout Online, and any fan content and mods.

Tatics and Van Buren are non-canon, but can be used as background flavour text for the lore.

There, simple. :colbert:

You can't declare that Fallout 3 doesn't matter because you don't like it, though.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Knuc If U Buck posted:

This is why people are bashing and/or making fun of you. I have literally never spent one single second thinking hard about what is TRUE CANON because who gives any kind of fucks. The video games made in the Fallout series of games are all games that exist. You can play them.

But you're getting all spergy over it and oh god just shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

OldMemes posted:

Fallout 1,2,3 and New Vegas are canon, when the player can affect the outcome of a story, the canon outcome is shown if that plot point is picked up by later games.

Brotherhood of Steel is non-canon, as are Xtreme and the unfinished Playstation 1 title, and the film treatment, as well as anything made for Fallout Online, and any fan content and mods.

Tatics and Van Buren are non-canon, but can be used as background flavour text for the lore.

There, simple. :colbert:

You can't declare that Fallout 3 doesn't matter because you don't like it, though.

I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall here. So what you are trying to tell me, is that because some dudes in business suits opportunistically purchased the intellectual property of the creators of Fallout, they then get to decide what is canon in that universe? Sorry, but (no offence) that seems awfully close minded.

rotinaj posted:

This is why people are bashing and/or making fun of you. I have literally never spent one single second thinking hard about what is TRUE CANON because who gives any kind of fucks. The video games made in the Fallout series of games are all games that exist. You can play them.

But you're getting all spergy over it and oh god just shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

If you don't like my posts, report me for rule breaking or don't read them. There's no need to be rude, I'm quite aware that some people don't care about canon.

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 24, 2012

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall here. So what you are trying to tell me, is that because some dudes in business suits opportunistically purchased the intellectual property of the creators of Fallout, they then get to decide what is canon in that universe? Sorry, but (no offence) that seems awfully close minded.

If you don't like my posts, report me for rule breaking or don't read them. There's no need to be rude, I'm quite aware that some people don't care about canon.

If in your personal canon, you want to pretend that Fallout 3 isn't canon or whatever, fine. But the creators say it's canon, so it is. You're a fan, not a creator of the series, so your opinion is well, just your opinion.

Fallout 3 bent over backwards to recreate the Fallout setting. You don't have to like it, but going "la la la I'm not listening" is silly. It's the same deal with the Star Wars prequels. Don't like them? Fine. But they're part of the story whatever you as a fan say.

So long as they stay true to the feel and setting of Fallout, you don't need to care about canon that much. You're over re-acting a bit here, don't you think?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Thing is, he's right about that. That's what the word "canon" means: "that which is official". The only reason Tactics and Brotherhood aren't canonical is that they've been officially discounted.

This is why people invented the term "headcanon", to explain that you consider something to be so stupid that, regardless of official canon, you edit it out of the story in your brain whenever you think about it. It was precisely to stop arguments like this from happening, because all fandom has this argument constantly all the time. And I really, really hoped that I could get through the rest of my life without ever using it seriously.

If you prefer not to resort to neologisms, just say "it sucks" and don't worry about canonicity at all.

Edit: In fairness, this term is also used to describe things that people believe MUST be happening even if they aren't shown oh god too many words

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 24, 2012

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Various aspects of Fallout 3 were given mention in Fallout New Vegas, as was brought up earlier. Hell, the game taking place in the East was, if I remember correctly, was to avoid stepping on too many toes since the West was well established at that point.

Like it or not, Fallout belongs to Bethesda, not the original creators and not the "fans" at NMA. It's just something that you're going to have to learn to deal with. It's not that hard to understand. And frankly, I find people claiming that a direct numbered sequel isn't canon is more than a little silly.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Canon includes works that are generally accepted to be authoritative works. Official designation of canon is just preposterous. If we as fans decide that Fallout 3 isn't canon, then it isn't canon.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Canon includes works that are generally accepted to be authoritative works. Official designation of canon is just preposterous. If we as fans decide that Fallout 3 isn't canon, then it isn't canon.

No, really, dude, it's up to Bethesda.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Fallout 3 is awesome, so what's this "we" crap. :colbert:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Knuc If U Buck posted:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_canon

Except fans do. Just accept 3 as canon and move on, it's only a game. Not a great game like New Vegas, but a good game nonetheless.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I think it's amusing that everyone talks about all the ridiculous stuff in FO3 that shouldn't have happened while ignoring the fact that OWB turns the Courier into a god damned Cyborg.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Even humoring you, I'm pretty sure that most fans consider Fallout 3 to be a pretty good game though, even if it didn't have F:NV's writing quality. I do remember it had a pretty large following, even on these very forums. There were some complaints (especially regarding a certain terrible spaceship DLC), but it was overall positively received.

You're going to have to try a little harder than that to declare Fallout 3 non-canon.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Byzantine posted:

...for that matter, was anything hit by the War in New Vegas? Vegas/the Dam were saved by Mr House (also the best choice), and I don't recall anything else taking nukes on the chin.

The Boomers say that Nellis AFB had been radioactive at some point when they arrived, so that might have gotten a hit somewhere nearby; Black Mountain almost certainly took a good hit; there's a crater way to the south of the map near Searchlight Airfield; The Divide probably took some knocks, although a lot of the damage is of course from subsequent events. Other than that, I can't think of too many hits.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall here. So what you are trying to tell me, is that because some dudes in business suits opportunistically purchased the intellectual property of the creators of Fallout, they then get to decide what is canon in that universe?
Canon does not exist. New Vegas doesn't contain more Canon Atoms than F3, or emit more Canon Radiation. These are stories that were made up by writers and designers. Nothing in them ever really happened. No, Bethesda doesn't get to decide what is canon, and neither do you, to anyone but yourself. Canon does not exist, at least when it comes to a universe like Fallout where every entry is a separate story that stands on its own.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Ya'll are seriously falling for some low effort trolling at this point.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I'm fairly certain that we can all agree that this is canon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afRkDWx0qW4

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Colgate posted:

Even humoring you, I'm pretty sure that most fans consider Fallout 3 to be a pretty good game though, even if it didn't have F:NV's writing quality. I do remember it had a pretty large following, even on these very forums. There were some complaints (especially regarding a certain terrible spaceship DLC), but it was overall positively received.

You're going to have to try a little harder than that to declare Fallout 3 non-canon.

If you start going down that rabbit hole, there's also the authenticity of a Fallout fan to consider. Were you a rabid fan before FO3 came out? No? Then you have no say as to whether it's canonical or not. What was your reaction to the change of perspective? Did the idea of a Fallout billed as an Oblivion with guns convulsively make you gag?

A test of genuine fandom should naturally also include a knowledge section. Was Harold a supermutant or a ghoul? (TRICK QUESTION!, or is it?) Check the PAs that were featured in FO1 and 2 and fill in the blank if any are missing: [ ]T-45d [ ]T-47b [ ]T-50b [ ]T-50c [ ]T-51b [ ]... In FO2, when confronting a Deathclaw with a .223 pistol in hand, if all you have are 10AP rounds and 15 JHP rounds, which should you load your .223 pistol with to maximize your chances against the monster? Give reasons for and against the thesis that "Wanamingos are aliens".

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

Rinkles posted:

If you start going down that rabbit hole, there's also the authenticity of a Fallout fan to consider. Were you a rabid fan before FO3 came out? No? Then you have no say as to whether it's canonical or not. What was your reaction to the change of perspective? Did the idea of a Fallout billed as an Oblivion with guns convulsively make you gag?

A test of genuine fandom should naturally also include a knowledge section. Was Harold a supermutant or a ghoul? (TRICK QUESTION!, or is it?) Check the PAs that were featured in FO1 and 2 and fill in the blank if any are missing: [ ]T-45d [ ]T-47b [ ]T-50b [ ]T-50c [ ]T-51b [ ]... In FO2, when confronting a Deathclaw with a .223 pistol in hand, if all you have are 10AP rounds and 15 JHP rounds, which should you load your .223 pistol with to maximize your chances against the monster? Give reasons for and against the thesis that "Wanamingos are aliens".

No joke, I think there are some people out there who would actually seriously agree with that. And the answer to the Deathclaw question, I'd say use the JHP rounds, since I remember AP rounds in FO2 being almost totally worthless for some reason, sort of like hollow points in New Vegas.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Colgate posted:

No joke, I think there are some people out there who would actually seriously agree with that. And the answer to the Deathclaw question, I'd say use the JHP rounds, since I remember AP rounds in FO2 being almost totally worthless for some reason.

:cool: Trick question. Neither of those .223 variants existed in FO2. It only came as FMJ.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Use Energy Weapons to sidestep the ammo wank. :science:

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

Rinkles posted:

:cool: Trick question. Neither of those .223 variants existed in FO2. It only came as FMJ.

Doh! To be fair, I haven't played FO2 since...2004-ish, so I really don't remember much beyond "AP ammo is only good for selling". Though I'm sure if I played it again, I'd remember precise locations on where to get most stuff.

Both of my computers nowadays have weird errors if I try playing either FO1 or FO2, and saves go corrupt at random unfortunately, and I move way too fast across the world map so random encounters would never happen. :(

M as in Mancy
Apr 21, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden is canon. :colbert:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Colgate posted:

Doh! To be fair, I haven't played FO2 since...2004-ish, so I really don't remember much beyond "AP ammo is only good for selling". Though I'm sure if I played it again, I'd remember precise locations on where to get most stuff.

Both of my computers nowadays have weird errors if I try playing either FO1 or FO2, and saves go corrupt at random unfortunately, and I move way too fast across the world map so random encounters would never happen. :(

Don't worry. Just means you're officially not a true FO fan, is all.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Colgate posted:

Get the Good Old Games versions, they're wrapped in DOSBox and should run perfectly on modern computers.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

Get the Good Old Games versions, they're wrapped in DOSBox and should run perfectly on modern computers.

Really? I wasn't aware that they were different from the CD-ROM versions. I might have to give those a look.

At any rate, this might give me an excuse to finally play Fallout Tactics.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Colgate posted:

totally worthless for some reason... like hollow points in New Vegas.
HP and JHP are extremely powerful as long as the targets have low DT.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Saint Sputnik posted:

Post-apoc movie derail: This past week I caught a couple great ones on Netflix, Stake Land and Hell, that I'd recommend. The first one is basically a zombie film (but with violent, cannibalistic vampires) with the "we are on the road traveling to a mythical Better Place" motif, and a lot of religious themes. Expected something pretty campy given that premise, but it's got a fairly serious tone and it's pretty impressive in some ways.

Hell is a German film ("Hell" means "bright") with the same road motif but no zombies. Four young people travel a sun-scorched landscape in a Volvo listening to Nena while trying to find water. They get ambushed about halfway through and have to fight their way out for the rest of the film. It's pretty bleak and menacing.

Just watched Hell and enjoyed it a lot. Had more of a Stalker vibe to it (vs. Stake Land's paralleling/homaging/aping The Road). And of course, Stalker vibe = objectively the best vibe in the world ever. Better cinematography than Stake Land. No vampires or zombies, but plenty of nice character development. Excellent use of hoodies and goggles.

It's not a masterpiece for the ages or anything, but Hell seems like it should have a solid place on a list of recommended films for post-apoc fans.

Except for the character Philip, who annoyed me so I ejected him from official Hell canon, so now you all have to fast forward through all his scenes.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 24, 2012

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

rope kid posted:

HP and JHP are extremely powerful as long as the targets have low DT.
Thing is, targets with low DT you never felt you had to specialize to take down. Normal bullets were doing plenty of damage, so even if there was a much better way, you never felt like you had to take advantage of it.

At least, I know I carried some armor piercing stuff around and often felt I had to use it when my normal stuff wasn't doing much damage at all, but never felt like I needed to kill low DT targets even faster than I already was.

Even if there were some high HP low DT enemies, I never really understood that, as I always figured if it took a long time to kill, it must be heavily armored, so if there was anything like that there's a good chance I wasted some AP rounds without realizing it (even with the useful the shield/broken shield icons to help me).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Cazadores, Nightkin, Feral Ghouls, and Night Stalkers are some of the best enemy types to use HP/JHP against because they tend to rush you and either come at you fast or come at you invisibly.

A 9mm SMG with HP can shred most everything in REPCONN, including all of the Nightkin. It's true that it's not strictly required, but HP ammo makes it much, much easier.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Trustworthy posted:

Just watched Hell and enjoyed it a lot. Had more of a Stalker vibe to it (vs. Stake Land's paralleling/homaging/aping The Road). And of course, Stalker vibe = objectively the best vibe in the world ever. Better cinematography than Stake Land. No vampires or zombies, but plenty of nice character development. Excellent use of hoodies and goggles.

Except for the character Philip, who annoyed me so I ejected him from official Hell canon, so now you all have to fast forward through all his scenes.
You just mentioned one of my favourite movies of all time so thank you. I thought I was the only Tarkovsky fan here.

Also Stalin dying always bummed me out so I'm going to say that is not canon and hes building a cyborg and Giant Soviet Robot Army to take over any day now. Save us Papa Mecha Stalin!

Eiba posted:

Thing is, targets with low DT you never felt you had to specialize to take down. Normal bullets were doing plenty of damage, so even if there was a much better way, you never felt like you had to take advantage of it.

Even if there were some high HP low DT enemies, I never really understood that, as I always figured if it took a long time to kill, it must be heavily armored, so if there was anything like that there's a good chance I wasted some AP rounds

Only time I got too much use was pre DLC versus Cazadors and ghouls. Had my cowboy character who didn't use any high falootin sniper rifles.

My hopes for Fallout 4 are many but I'd just be bloody happy if they kept iron sights and ways to keep guns relevant at higher levels. I'm not reaching for the stars there I think. Hell keep the Chinese Assault Rifle and Chinese Commando hat so I can just keep making that one character. Hell the life of a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. can take some odd turns now and then.

beaten by RK on the HP advice.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 24, 2012

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Trustworthy posted:

Just watched Stake Land on your recommendation. It was surprisingly, pleasantly not terrible. Very heavy The Road vibes.

Watching Hell now LOOK OUT HE'S RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!!!

The gas station scene? I had the same reaction.

quote:

It's not a masterpiece for the ages or anything, but Hell seems like it should have a solid place on a list of recommended films for post-apoc fans.

The only place the cinematography in Stake Land really stood out for me was the one long take during the party where the tough guy dances with the little girl. The only issue I had with the movie was how quickly the Kid moved on to a new girlfriend, especially after losing Danielle Harris. But on the whole I think I preferred it to Hell, I guess because more stuff happened and the relationships between the characters didn't feel so tenuous.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
The problem I have with Hollow Points is that the damage bonus they have just isn't worth it. Most unarmored enemies, even that early in the game, tend to go down in three shots tops, and the 1.75x bonus that most HP rounds give isn't really going to dent that. If I have say... a damage gun, it'll deal out 28 with HP round. What takes three normal rounds to kill will still take two HP rounds, in the end that's not very cost efficient at all, especially when you consider that the base value of say... 9mm HP rounds is three times that of regular rounds. It's not really like I'm going to avoid another hit with this slightly quicker kill since there's still the time it takes to switch you ammo, and besides, you get so much DT in this game that you can shrug off nearly anything that isn't poison or a Deathclaw swipe so in the end it doesn't matter. Why would I use high value, comparatively hard to get bullets to kill something when I can do it just as easily with the bullets that are absolutely loving everywhere?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
They're amazing in Courier's Mile, for what its worth.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
HP rounds are situationally decent, but JHP rounds seem like a compromise that isn't worth making. If an enemy with low DT is going to be a problem for HP rounds, it seems like JHP rounds aren't much of an improvement and you're not doing any more damage.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Wow, didn't realise that so many people hear had such a black and white opinion of the definition of canon. Good to get a discussion going about these kinds of things, but I'll definitely have to agree to disagree at this point.

Rope Kid's a hell of a nice guy so I'm sure this is correct.

gently caress it. Since now we're apparently just making up our definition of the word "canon", I'm declaring you non-canon.

Yeah, that's right. Don't really know what to do with that, do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Mustang posted:

The quest I Put a Spell on You is really starting to piss me off. No matter what I do I can't complete it. If I use the wait function until midnight I never see anyone come to the tower by 1 am when everyone says they see lights. If I wait by Captain Curtis to see if he leaves he never does. Every once in a while Captain Curtis will magically appear outside the door to the tower and start walking back despite not being in there when I checked a minute previous.

I don't think any quest in any game has frustrated me this much. Especially since I'm playing on hardcore and have to go get food and water between waiting. gently caress this quest.

When I have used the wait option, he usually rolls by around 1:30-2:00 am.