Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
If anyone still needs help with 360 quests/bosses/whatever and are online around 8 pm Eastern US, feel free to shoot me a message or invite (ShadowedFlames) and I'll do what I can to help. I have a Lv 50 Siren with my best gear, a 50 Mechro with not-as-good gear, and two low-level characters (Zerker and Commando) to mess around with should a low-level game be on the dockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The most you can get it to without crashing is below 400 but 100+ is pretty much overkill. The only thing that can withstand that is Gee.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Marogareh posted:

The most you can get it to without crashing is below 400 but 100+ is pretty much overkill. The only thing that can withstand that is Gee.

Here's a funny thing, now that I think of it:

Another goon and I went into normal to fight Gee. At least in that mode, when you get his shield dropped by worm acid, you can hurt him with a gun. 96-clip Shock Infinity wiped him out in 15 seconds once that shield ran out. Not sure if it works on TVHM mode though, but it could speed up the process.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Nah in TVHM I was doing close to a million damage and it still took a while to whittle him down. I think they also sped up his harpoons since they can actually track and hit me now.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
I got it up to 222 and it was pretty out of control.

I still haven't figured out if it's dumb luck getting it that high, or it's some technique I'm missing. Last night I couldn't get anything higher than 35, for some reason.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
It's all luck and the easiest way to do it is to have the ES on the left weapon slot and infinity on the right. You don't even have to take out the ES when it explodes just keep switching back and forth until you're satisfied with what you got on the infinity.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Poala Bear posted:

If you guys are on Xbox, send me an invite (GT is hushi907). I'm not looking for legendary mods anymore, I managed to get all five classes from various goons and lucky Verm kills. I'll be happy to dupe them along with any other legendaries that I have that you might be interested. Just message me what you're looking for! Merry Christmas

This guy owns, by the way.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
I'll likely be working on other things to pass the time, but my offer from top of the page still stands. I'll be online, just working on some of my XBL Arcade games so I don't have to swap discs out.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Deathtrap, please, stop attacking that Crystalisk. Deathtrap, no, I don't need shields; I am clearly fighting for my life. Deathtrap, please remove yourself from the earth's core I need you. Go home, Deathtrap, you're drunk.

I guess that's why you only got third place in the science fair

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

I went back to Caustic Caverns to finish some stuff up there and ran into my first Badass Pyre Thresher. Great stuff. gently caress the Caverns and gently caress threshers.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I am disappointed that Hyperius's unique drop appears to be Sledge's loving Shotgun. I am not disappointed in the Evil Smasher glitch, because that is so game-breakingly powerful it's insane. That plus a Shredifier... dear lord

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I've had him drop a shock shredifier, a seraph handgun and the whisky tango foxtrot shield. It's pretty funny looking back at how people were bitching about the bee being gamebreaking to the point of getting nerfed while the ES glitch completely shits on it. Still sucks that the love thumper glitch isn't fixed so beware of Zero's with no shields and a rapier.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Marogareh posted:

I've had him drop a shock shredifier, a seraph handgun and the whisky tango foxtrot shield. It's pretty funny looking back at how people were bitching about the bee being gamebreaking to the point of getting nerfed while the ES glitch completely shits on it. Still sucks that the love thumper glitch isn't fixed so beware of Zero's with no shields and a rapier.

I didn't know he drops random uniques. He did drop about 8 Bandit Technical and Runner skins I didn't have, so that was cool. I'm not really impressed with the Seraph guns, but the Meteor Shower grenade mod and the Blood of the Seraphs relic both have come in really handy.

Terramorphous farming will be much simpler now. I just want the drat head customization!

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

I've had way more luck with Pyro Pete in terms of drops. Within, like, an hour he dropped a Slagga, a Bouncing Bonny, a Rolling Thunder, a Blast-Proof Fabled Tortoise and a poo poo load of skins.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Will a Bloodshed-maxed Zer0 wielding the Rapier ever get old? Don't answer that. The answer is no.

Bloodshed takes forever to get going but it's a riot when it comes into its own. One second you're hobbling around with gimped damage multipliers and no decent way of recovering health, and the next you're kicking rear end like an anime character in their imagination.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
It's pretty much tailored made for end game gear but yeah it's pretty exhilarating chaining kills.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

I am Reverend posted:

I've had way more luck with Pyro Pete in terms of drops. Within, like, an hour he dropped a Slagga, a Bouncing Bonny, a Rolling Thunder, a Blast-Proof Fabled Tortoise and a poo poo load of skins.

They removed the time limit?

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

abaddonis posted:

Yeah, back when they messed it up and no one could fight any of the DLC raid bosses, they apparently couldn't fix it so they just removed it outright.

I've got jack poo poo from Pete though. The only thing I got from him is a shock Fast Ball.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

edit: ^^^ oh, okay. This is seriously how it should have been since the start. It makes way more sense than them expecting you to spend a week killing them to get a lovely, worse than purple Seraph gun.

abaddonis posted:

Oh yeah. I'm not sure if it's intentional or not but for Hyperius you can kill him, leave his arena, and walk back in and he's just there chillin' waiting for you to murder the gently caress out of him again; It even despawns his minions if they're still alive. For Pyro Pete you have to either leave through the sewers or save and quit, though.

I am Reverend fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 25, 2012

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
So...someone just went into my game and barfed up a bunch of "Restructuring Conference Calls" that are worth $52,028,020 and are level 100. What is the deal with it?

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Jubs posted:

So...someone just went into my game and barfed up a bunch of "Restructuring Conference Calls" that are worth $52,028,020 and are level 100. What is the deal with it?

Probably edited a save. Sell 'em =]

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Does anyone have some skins, heads they could dupe me on 360? The customizations are seriously my favorite things to get.

Gamertag is Flexible Ethics.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I don't, but would also like them, especially heads. GT MY BROS HOT DAD

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

So I need goon opinions. I just completed TVH mode with a siren, and i've not bought any of the expansions yet because i'm honestly not sold on this game yet. I really, really liked the first one better, and half the time my deaths just feel cheap and unavoidable. I've died a lot...like......a hell of a lot, and not fair deaths imo. I end up cheesing a lot of things, because it's the only way to beat them solo.

I'm considering making one more go of it with another character, and I don't know whether I want someone reliable and durable or someone like Zero that can do super damage but can also get reamed easily. Who can I play as that will make me unhate this game?

Also I know I "should" play with other people, but honestly I can only play really randomly and don't have time to make friends. Yeah, gently caress friends...

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I think the biggest hurdle with TVHM is you need to realize that resistances and weaknesses are doubled both ways. Shields eat away bullet damage on enemies, corrosive REALLY needs to get used on armored baddies, and if you don't exploit everyone's weaknesses constantly, they won't drop quick enough.

That also applies to you, so keep some extra shields around for when you come across really nasty elemental dudes.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

UnSmith posted:

So I need goon opinions. I just completed TVH mode with a siren, and i've not bought any of the expansions yet because i'm honestly not sold on this game yet. I really, really liked the first one better, and half the time my deaths just feel cheap and unavoidable. I've died a lot...like......a hell of a lot, and not fair deaths imo. I end up cheesing a lot of things, because it's the only way to beat them solo.

I'm considering making one more go of it with another character, and I don't know whether I want someone reliable and durable or someone like Zero that can do super damage but can also get reamed easily. Who can I play as that will make me unhate this game?

Also I know I "should" play with other people, but honestly I can only play really randomly and don't have time to make friends. Yeah, gently caress friends...

Axton makes solo'ing the game a LOT better. The turret is your quasi second player, as it draws aggro, can provide a shield for you, kills things, etc. When skilled right he also has great health/shield regen, and is all round great character.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

UnSmith posted:

I tried all 4 of the original chars upto about level 10 before I settled on Zero. At first I went full sniper, and by late level 20s I got sick of dying, always having to use sniper rifles, and always having to get crits.

I went the cunning tree from then onwards and haven't looked back. I use a mix of sniper rifles and pistols, and when I use deception I self heal so it's a great get of poo poo ability every 12secs. Furthermore, the kunai you throw (last ability in the tree) don't break stealth and really gently caress up an enemy.

As others have said, you really need to play to the weaknesses of enemies in TVHM. I always try to carry some sort of fire wep and some sort of corrosive wep as it makes light work of flesh and armor. However, there have been certain times in the DLC where I had to go and get a shock weapon as I couldnt take down shields fast enough.

I'm surprised you got all the way through TVHM whilst still "not being sure"! That's dedication!

Dougolas
Nov 14, 2002
Any 360 goons got an alt (or a main for that matter) with the Doctor's Orders quest? I'm looking to catch myself a Jimmy Jenkins, but would love if someone could help me out. GT = Dougolas

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

UnSmith posted:

Salvador, bro. Double the goddamn fun! You get to hold two guns, so it's like having two people, and you can make him tanky as gently caress to obfuscate some of the cheap-rear end enemy tactics. And if you use a slag gun in one hand you don't even have to worry about weaknesses because you're doing crazy damage regardless.

e: LESS DYING, MORE SHOOTING

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I keep hearing mixed things as to whether this is better than the first game. I never played the first one because when it was out I didn't hear very good things about it and that it wasn't at all worth playing unless you had 3 other people to play with, and now opinions seem to range between "there's no need to play the first one because there was no plot and this is basically a refined version" and "the first one was so much better because they ruined [insert some thing here]." So, having played through and enjoying this one, should I go back and play the original?

I am Reverend posted:

Salvador, bro. Double the goddamn fun! You get to hold two guns, so it's like having two people, and you can make him tanky as gently caress to obfuscate some of the cheap-rear end enemy tactics. And if you use a slag gun in one hand you don't even have to worry about weaknesses because you're doing crazy damage regardless.

e: LESS DYING, MORE SHOOTING

Gunzerker owns, I just started TVHM and one of the first weapons I got was a sniper rifle that shoots fire rounds and has automatic fire. I just use it as my primary weapon because when it's not scoped in it's practically an assault rifle. It's awesome and I'm gonna miss when it's not powerful enough to kill enemies anymore.

Also, boy was The Warrior a laughably easy final boss. I had more trouble killing the enemies getting up to it than it itself. Then for some reason when it went down, right after it disappeared I just dropped dead from full shields and health. It was the most bizarre thing.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 26, 2012

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Personally, I think the first game has way more memorable environments and better boss design, but the gunplay, writing, and classes in Borderlands 2 are way better. If you can get a buddy to co-op it up with, the first one is totally worth playing, though.

e: To expand on that, in Borderlands you don't have to worry about any of the dogshit boss mechanics from Borderlands 2 like Bunker requiring half an hour to beat or Hyperius hitting you with an unavoidable nova three times in a row with no possible recourse. And the enemy scaling seems a lot more fair in general and not as many of your deaths feel like they aren't your fault. However, the different manufacturers feel a lot more homogenous and the legendaries aren't nearly as impressive as they are in Borderlands 2 (but you can reasonably expect two or three per playthrough, which is nice). The only class worth playing is Lilith and arguably Mordecai, and the story is godawful. Like, I seriously forgot that there was even a main antagonist until I was looking through the wiki a few weeks ago.

I am Reverend fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 26, 2012

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

I am Reverend posted:

Personally, I think the first game has way more memorable environments and better boss design, but the gunplay, writing, and classes in Borderlands 2 are way better. If you can get a buddy to co-op it up with, the first one is totally worth playing, though....

I loved the hell out of the first one, flaws and all but I went back to it the other day and it really is the weaker game overall.

It's the same issues that other people have highlighted with characterisation, plot and overall just not having a very clear sense of what you're actually trying to achieve most of the time. The end boss left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths but that's since been largely forgotten because of DLC helping to expand out the story and the sequel.

People tend to bitch that you get waaaay less orange drops now but to me that's just Gearbox trying to make rare loot mean more (though I don't think they necessarily got the balance perfect). Pearlescents became a thing in DLC when originally they were just a glitch.

Other things people miss are specific things. I, for example, liked fighting the Crimson Lance and really miss the Pestilent defiler weapon. Other people miss things like the Eridian weapons, or playing as the original team, or the weapon proficiencies, etc.

I played the original Borderlands on console and going back it just feels so much more clunky and clumsy, which I suppose isn't surprising. I forgot a lot of little things too, like how your inventory worked very differently and the aforementioned weapons proficiencies or how Revolver used to be their own weapon class (I miss that too!) and other things your brain just forgets.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
For those of you wondering about why Gearbox doesn't add in more bank/backpack space, here is your reason:

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?p=3391282#post3391282

What I inferred from that post: They feel that new players would be overwhelmed by all that space or something. If so, that's really dumb. Also stat comparison.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

DarkstarIV posted:

For those of you wondering about why Gearbox doesn't add in more bank/backpack space, here is your reason:

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?p=3391282#post3391282

What I inferred from that post: They feel that new players would be overwhelmed by all that space or something. If so, that's really dumb. Also stat comparison.

Here's what I took away from it: Borderlands is not a collection game and giving people too large an inventory encourages a pack-rat mentality when the game is about tossing something away once you find a better version of it. They were trying to find a balance of having enough slots so you can play around with elemental types and build but stop people from just stashing everything forever and never using it.

I can understand that and their data seems sound. I just don't think it works very well for people who have gotten to the end-game, where I feel it almost does become a collect-a-thon because everything is very comparable. There's a lot of unique stuff that you're expected to just toss away if you don't use it, but the game makes a big deal out of the rare items so selling or trading an orange can feel like a waste.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

runwiled posted:

Here's what I took away from it: Borderlands is not a collection game and giving people too large an inventory encourages a pack-rat mentality when the game is about tossing something away once you find a better version of it. They were trying to find a balance of having enough slots so you can play around with elemental types and build but stop people from just stashing everything forever and never using it.

I can understand that and their data seems sound. I just don't think it works very well for people who have gotten to the end-game, where I feel it almost does become a collect-a-thon because everything is very comparable. There's a lot of unique stuff that you're expected to just toss away if you don't use it, but the game makes a big deal out of the rare items so selling or trading an orange can feel like a waste.

Well, I mean having an inventory limit discourages keeping everything, but my like 6 lvl1 pack mule characters keep all my stuff for me anyways so whatever. It is kind of annoying to have to summon part of my inventory with a second controller, though. Dammit Gearbox why not just lift the inventory limit once you reach 50 or something?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
But I want to collect legendaries and red text guns to make a museum out of it :negative:. It's not like there's anything else to do once you hit 50 except skill experimentation.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

Dougolas posted:

Any 360 goons got an alt (or a main for that matter) with the Doctor's Orders quest? I'm looking to catch myself a Jimmy Jenkins, but would love if someone could help me out. GT = Dougolas

Yes. I keep meaning to go do that too. The midget bots that spawn in his place are no joke either. I finally started throwing a turret up while I opened boxes. GT: arkitekt4k

Marogareh posted:

But I want to collect legendaries and red text guns to make a museum out of it :negative:. It's not like there's anything else to do once you hit 50 except skill experimentation.

This. I considered making characters called Shields, Pistols, Snipers, etc just to keep them sorted when I eventually catch 'em all.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
Another set of SHIFT codes is up. Apparently expires on Jan 1. Apologies if I make a mistake, I can't C&P from Facebook via the phone and if there's a mistake I'll fix it when I get home in a few hours:

360: WT53J-RJBXZ-6Z636-56J3B-RJ39R
PS3: WTWTJ-ZRHHW-JWWK3-9TKJB-ZKK53
PC: W3CTT-96CHC-WFBB3-B3BBT-XS66W

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

runwiled posted:

... or how Revolver used to be their own weapon class (I miss that too!) and other things your brain just forgets.

There was a lot more weapon variety in general in the first one. Like, there were three different pistol archetypes counting the revolver, there were regular SMGs and then there thumpers, shotguns and carnages, etc. The problem is a lot of them were kinda lovely and shared between all the manufacturers. I like it better this way where Jakobs and Maliwan make revolvers, Dahl makes repeaters and all the others make machine pistols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
What is the endgame like for a Mechromancer? I got to the end of playthrough 1 at lvl 31 with one and my experience has been up then down. Anarchy has been fun when I can get a huge stack, but its really frustrating when you lose it to a death, and I imagine that would make play in TVHM very punishing. I liked the idea of a tree focused on electric damage but that is way too loot dependent(in my experience, great shock guns are rare), and I am not sure the rewards are worth the effort.

Starting to feel a little regret over picking her as my second character after Axton, should have went Gunzerking I think. Any level 50 Mechromancer players have any input?

Neon Knight fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 26, 2012

• Locked thread