Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I've gotten call backs from some HR folks a couple of years later. Linkedin is pretty decent for keeping in touch, especially for tech folks, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
I just wanted some advice, because I've put myself in a really bad situation.
I just had a semester where i got a sub 2.0 gpa. My GPA has plummeted to a 2.65( I'm a transfer student so I didn't have that many classes to buffer this semester out). I wanted to apply to some internship for the summer ,but now it seems impossible with my GPA.

I just wanted some advice from some engineers who've gone through this. Obviously I know next semester I have to hit it as hard as I possibly can. But does anyone have any advice for the internship part. Should I still try and apply to places? Or do I just have to suck it up and try to raise my GPA before i graduate(three semesters left). I feel huge idiot, and that if I cant pull my GPA up ill have wasted 5 years of my life.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Xeom posted:

I just had a semester where i got a sub 2.0 gpa. My GPA has plummeted to a 2.65( I'm a transfer student so I didn't have that many classes to buffer this semester out). I wanted to apply to some internship for the summer ,but now it seems impossible with my GPA.

I just wanted some advice from some engineers who've gone through this. Obviously I know next semester I have to hit it as hard as I possibly can. But does anyone have any advice for the internship part. Should I still try and apply to places? Or do I just have to suck it up and try to raise my GPA before i graduate(three semesters left). I feel huge idiot, and that if I cant pull my GPA up ill have wasted 5 years of my life.
Networking is key at this point no matter what. With that said, I'm sitting at roughly a 2.6 right now and networked two internships, possibly a third one in the works right now. What I do is constantly try to network. For example, every time anyone I'm talking to in conversation mentions engineering, I jump on that. A conversation with my Spanish professor after class got me a potential internship with her husband who is involved with energy.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Does anyone have any recommendations for finding good seminars? My company wants to send me to one, but the seminar they have suggested is, quite frankly, not worth my time (an introductory course in what my current job is that I have been performing outstanding for the past ~2 years. It would have been a good seminar to send me to my first month at the company (ironically, I asked at the time to be sent to one nearly identical and they declined), but not now.)

I am trying to find a good seminar in the US that deals with Antennas or RF/microwave. I've done a bunch of googling and have come up empty handed. I was hoping someone might have had a good experience with a particular company or seminar that they can recommend.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Just shooting from the hip here, but surely IEEE would be a good resource to check, no?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Hey guys, I'm looking for some input on making a timeline for some product development. I've been reverse engineering some organically curved products, and I'm looking to hit around 20 mils precision. Does anybody have a ballpark for how long I should allow for modeling it, and how many revisions I should plan around?

Products are about 4in x 6in x .5in, with maybe 5 or so tricky curves.

I have a schedule, I just want to make sure I'm being reasonable in some of my estimates.

Sorry to nerd it up with boring work stuff. :(

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Xeom posted:

As someone else already said, networking is important. I don't think the GPA is a killer, I graduated with something along those lines (2.7, I think?), but there was not one break I didn't have an internship. The reason? Pounding the ground getting interviews, getting my name out there, and taking a lovely job to get some experience when needed. The 3 months I spent toiling away at a coal mine did a lot of good in showing the ability to work hard and get stuff done. I got my next (and better job) at another employer who was a supplier for that coal mine. That experience set me up better for the next go around, too.

Personally, I don't put a whole lot in GPA. It can tell part of the story, but don't let it define your capabilities. If YOU feel that way, anyone you talk to about it will as well. Learn to frame your knowledge through related experiences...

In short, interview for any and every job you can. Take AN offer, regardless of how awful it sounds, before you don't take any. That experience can set you up more than you know.

neibbo
Jul 18, 2003

Yes, mein Fuhrer... I mean.. Mr. President

mitztronic posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for finding good seminars? My company wants to send me to one, but the seminar they have suggested is, quite frankly, not worth my time (an introductory course in what my current job is that I have been performing outstanding for the past ~2 years. It would have been a good seminar to send me to my first month at the company (ironically, I asked at the time to be sent to one nearly identical and they declined), but not now.)

I am trying to find a good seminar in the US that deals with Antennas or RF/microwave. I've done a bunch of googling and have come up empty handed. I was hoping someone might have had a good experience with a particular company or seminar that they can recommend.

Maybe give IMAPS a try. We do RF/Microwave engineering and manufacturing where I work and it seems to be the most relevant and useful group. They do a number of classes and seminars at their annual conference. I've been told that it's less academic and more geared towards industry than IEEE for what it's worth.

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

Xeom posted:

See if there are any work/study opportunities on campus that could be considered as internships. I worked for 2 years for the physics department in the space science engineering lab designing and building pico satellites. The pay was poo poo, but the experience was great.

As mentioned earlier, don't get hung up on GPA. Sure it is important but it isn't everything. Those that think it is everything have nothing else to offer. I graduated with a 2.65 but had a job lined up months before I graduated thanks to networking and my experience and work in other areas.

IllIllIll
Feb 17, 2012
Not sure if this belongs here or the resume thread so ill post it here too...

Does anyone have some tips for writing an internship resume as a 3rd year Environmental Engineering student with minimal experience? I have a good gpa (3.4) but as far as experience, I've only had one legitimate job (administrative assistant at my college... For 3 months), a bunch of informal work that has nothing to do with engineering such as teaching photoshop and creating online shops.

Next quarter, I'm getting some good experience by doing some research with professors and grad students directly related to my field as well as taking a project course that involves designing a water treatment system for a competition.

I missed out on fall application season because of study abroad, so I'm kind of under the gun to get applications out. Considering my most relevant experience is upcoming, how best should I insert that into a resume? Also, since the field of environmental engineering is relatively small, how much wider should I cast my net? At this point I know just about as much about civil engineering as environmental, but should I just apply to anything vaguely engineering related and see how it goes?

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
Today I turned in my last proyect. I'm oficially done with classes. EE.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

IllIllIll posted:

Not sure if this belongs here or the resume thread so ill post it here too...

Does anyone have some tips for writing an internship resume as a 3rd year Environmental Engineering student with minimal experience? I have a good gpa (3.4) but as far as experience, I've only had one legitimate job (administrative assistant at my college... For 3 months), a bunch of informal work that has nothing to do with engineering such as teaching photoshop and creating online shops.

Next quarter, I'm getting some good experience by doing some research with professors and grad students directly related to my field as well as taking a project course that involves designing a water treatment system for a competition.

I missed out on fall application season because of study abroad, so I'm kind of under the gun to get applications out. Considering my most relevant experience is upcoming, how best should I insert that into a resume? Also, since the field of environmental engineering is relatively small, how much wider should I cast my net? At this point I know just about as much about civil engineering as environmental, but should I just apply to anything vaguely engineering related and see how it goes?

Include some academic projects if you're just out of school - that should work.

Also don't be afraid of casting a wider net, though (obv) I would still start with and pursue aggressively your field of interest.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Sweet As Sin posted:

Today I turned in my last proyect. I'm oficially done with classes. EE.
Congrats!

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

What do I wear to an engineering career fair?

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Wolfy posted:

A suit, or a dress shirt and tie, or a polo shirt. It doesn't matter that much.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

BeefofAges posted:

A suit, or a dress shirt and tie, or a polo shirt. It doesn't matter that much.

Either you show up in a suit when everyone else is in a polo or you show up in a polo when everyone else is in a suit. Take your pick.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

Either you show up in a suit when everyone else is in a polo or you show up in a polo when everyone else is in a suit. Take your pick.

That's why you should wear a suit with a swagger.

Best of both worlds.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Wolfy posted:

Black suit and pants. Blue oxford underneath. Tie of either a slightly different shade of blue or black. Black shoes.

You are now officially "safe". You will not be remembered at all for your attire, only your interactions/resume, if at all.

Or do like I did: black/lavender pinstripe suit, brown shoes, black oxford, royal purple tie. It was badass. (I didn't get a job from that fair. I blame the market)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 10, 2023

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Wolfy posted:

I wore a suit to every career fair. It's hard to overdress for one.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
For the first job out of school, it's been suggested to stick around for two years. If I work those two years how hard does it become to switch fields?

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

huhu posted:

For the first job out of school, it's been suggested to stick around for two years. If I work those two years how hard does it become to switch fields?

From my experience, not very hard, but it may take some time to find the right opportunity. I switched fields after 6 years.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

huhu posted:

That largely depends on how much time you dedicate to teaching yourself new things.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

BeefofAges posted:

That largely depends on how much time you dedicate to teaching yourself new things.
Could you please elaborate more on this?

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

huhu posted:

Could you please elaborate more on this?

Basically, if you only learn things specific to the aforementioned first job out of school, you might find it difficult to switch fields. If, however, you take the time to stay up to date on your field in general (for example, if you're a mechanical engineer and you end up working on brake pad design at your first job, don't focus all of your time on learning about brake pads), you should be okay.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

BeefofAges posted:

Basically, if you only learn things specific to the aforementioned first job out of school, you might find it difficult to switch fields. If, however, you take the time to stay up to date on your field in general (for example, if you're a mechanical engineer and you end up working on brake pad design at your first job, don't focus all of your time on learning about brake pads), you should be okay.

This is also why, at least for me, working in a small company to start is pretty handy. You end up doing a lot of different things.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

CCKeane posted:

This is also why, at least for me, working in a small company to start is pretty handy. You end up doing a lot of different things.

The flip side of a small company wherein everyone does a lot of different things is that a lot of things are being done by people who are not qualified to do them. I found the experience incredibly frustrating.

For example: Our company's website development was decided by a panel of 8 people. Only one of them had any idea how websites worked, and he was an intern so nobody listened to him.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Corla Plankun posted:

The flip side of a small company wherein everyone does a lot of different things is that a lot of things are being done by people who are not qualified to do them. I found the experience incredibly frustrating.

For example: Our company's website development was decided by a panel of 8 people. Only one of them had any idea how websites worked, and he was an intern so nobody listened to him.

This is DEFINITELY true and a fair downside. I teach myself pretty well, so I think small companies are a good fit for me. I've never had a proper mentor so I can't really comment on the pros/cons of that.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

I work at a large company, but a lot of things are being done by people who are not qualified to do them anyway.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

grover posted:

I saw this photo today, and thought "now that is real-world engineering!" Gotta hand it to these guys for simplicity and effectiveness, to clamp a screwdriver upside-down in a CNC machine to remotely push the button on another piece of machinery that's being bombarded by high energy x-rays.

http://www.sciencecodex.com/a_shock_to_pollution_in_chemistry-103063

Until you find out how much they spent on that linear stage.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Lord Gaga posted:

Until you find out how much they spent on that linear stage.
I'm sure they didn't buy it just for this, but had it in their machine shop and commandeered it for the tests.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I don't think there is a website that functions worse than Kiewit's job site. You have to apply in IE :wtc:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I wouldn't apply to Kiewit unless you're really desperate for a job, I've heard nothing but bad things. According to everyone I've talked to that has either worked for them or knew people that had, the company (well, the Omaha office at least) is the live to work, 50 hrs/wk minimum for middling pay kind of place. Office politics are supposedly quite rampant as well.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

BeefofAges posted:

I work at a large company, but a lot of things are being done by people who are not qualified to do them anyway.

I had a days long argument with my QC department over if unilateral tolerances were a thing. Not if they were appropriate, but if they existed at all, instead of having ALL tolerances being symmetrical.

I can't imagine that happening in a large company because goddamn.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Noctone posted:

I wouldn't apply to Kiewit unless you're really desperate for a job, I've heard nothing but bad things. According to everyone I've talked to that has either worked for them or knew people that had, the company (well, the Omaha office at least) is the live to work, 50 hrs/wk minimum for middling pay kind of place. Office politics are supposedly quite rampant as well.
Wow, checked out Glassdoor, you aren't kidding. Have you heard good things about any of the large contractors? I was looking at them because I want to move around and work on a wide variety of projects. At the same time I don't really feel like putting in 16 hours on Sat/Sun and getting paid jack poo poo.

Reading more into it though, a lot of these places just sound outright depressing to work at.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

CCKeane posted:

I had a days long argument with my QC department over if unilateral tolerances were a thing. Not if they were appropriate, but if they existed at all, instead of having ALL tolerances being symmetrical.

I can't imagine that happening in a large company because goddamn.

This is just one example out of many:

My department (a test engineering department) has a large inventory of test units and test equipment. When the department was only a few people several years ago, it was good enough to track inventory in an Excel spreadsheet. As the department grew, it became clear that some inventory software was necessary. I found some reasonably priced commercial software that supported barcode scanners or RFID tags and so on, but spending a couple thousand dollars on software and hardware for inventory tracking was deemed inefficient. Instead, one of the test engineers in my department was tasked with developing custom inventory software. After a year of development, we got a poorly designed database with a poorly designed PHP frontend that's so hard to use that there's one guy in the lab whose job it is to check in/check out equipment for everyone else. When I want to use something from the lab, instead of scanning its barcode or something else reasonable like that, I take it over to the lab inventory guy, have him write down the item's tracking code, and check it out to me because the software is too clumsy for me to do it myself. Everyone now agrees that it's a huge piece of poo poo, but because we invested so much in it we're not allowed to move away from it.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Got a question about government jobs...

quote:

3. Do you meet the education requirements for this position?
A) I hold, at a minimum, a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree from a program accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) or National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) within a college or university in one or more of the required disciplines.
B) I have a degree from a non-US college or university that is acceptable as defined in the vacancy announcement.
C) None of the above."

I'm graduating in May, how do I answer this question? If I answer C I feel that I'll be automatically eliminated from the position. But answering A might be lying? It looks like a lot of these positions have questions like this and I feel I'll be automatically removed from consideration if I answer C.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Also amazing: Digital media players being tested by people who don't even understand the difference between a codec and a container.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

Noctone posted:

This depends somewhat, I may be interning with them this summer and have done a fair amount of research. The workload is pretty intense but the company essentially puts its workers on a sort of exponential system where you get more and more stock ownership in the company. If you stay 20 years you get a ridiculous pay but during the initial rotation program it admittedly isn't the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Wolfy posted:

Wow, checked out Glassdoor, you aren't kidding. Have you heard good things about any of the large contractors? I was looking at them because I want to move around and work on a wide variety of projects. At the same time I don't really feel like putting in 16 hours on Sat/Sun and getting paid jack poo poo.

Reading more into it though, a lot of these places just sound outright depressing to work at.
The only other major MEP company I'm at all familiar with is HDR, and I don't really know much about them. I've only been out in the professional world for about 5.5 years, but my general impression has been that the larger the company is, the more likely they are to treat employees (especially fresh graduates) as commodities. The only exception that I've run into is Emerson, they're pretty good to their people.

Wilhelm posted:

This depends somewhat, I may be interning with them this summer and have done a fair amount of research. The workload is pretty intense but the company essentially puts its workers on a sort of exponential system where you get more and more stock ownership in the company. If you stay 20 years you get a ridiculous pay but during the initial rotation program it admittedly isn't the best.
Yeah I think you're right that it does eventually pay off if you stick around. In my estimation companies like Kiewit intentionally make life lovely for recent grads, and count on a small number of people coming out the other end of the sewage pipe and the rest saying "gently caress this poo poo" 9/10ths of the way. Then they go out and get a fresh batch of cheap, recent grads.