Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I miss indoor heating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Haraksha posted:

I miss indoor heating.

Wait did it get cold and I missed it?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I can't say I'm a huge fan of 10C weather. I'm not sure what Taipei is like, but it's cold enough now that I'm wearing layers and socks at home. The tile floors really don't help and I typically keep my windows open for airflow.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Haraksha posted:

I can't say I'm a huge fan of 10C weather. I'm not sure what Taipei is like, but it's cold enough now that I'm wearing layers and socks at home. The tile floors really don't help and I typically keep my windows open for airflow.

You need to invest in a good duvet. I never need to use any of those crappy space heaters again.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
It's pretty loving cold right now in Xinbei, but I'm from California so I'm a ninny and all my Northeastern/English friends are making fun of me. It's weird because it's really cold when it's cloudy and very nice when it's sunny, which is actually the opposite of how it usually is in California. Probably has something to do with the humidity.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Sunlight is warm, silly.

I'm from Minnesota, so this is hardly what I would consider to be truly cold. What gets me though is that there's no escape from the chill. It's just constant. With central heating in buildings, you can maintain a perfectly respectable temperature inside even when it's a nightmarish hellscape of ice and snow right outside.

In Taiwan, they're basically the same, especially if you open your windows at all.

I do have nice blankets and I prefer to sleep in the cold, so that's not a problem. I just hate feeling like I need to wear four layers sitting on my sofa. I don't trust space heaters, though. I'm seriously convinced they're going to burn my building down.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Haraksha posted:

Sunlight is warm, silly.

And clouds are insulating :ssh:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

quadrophrenic posted:

And clouds are insulating :ssh:

Not when they bring rain. Lots and lots of rain.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
I live in an old apartment with poor insulation (even by Taiwan standards). It's pretty windy where I live, and you can feel the wind coming through the windows when it's gusting. I have a little space heater, but it's mostly useless.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
PRO GHETTO TAIWAN WINTER TIP, BITCHES
  • Get a small ceramic space heater(NOT an open element one)
  • Get a blanket worth a drat; Costco has a really nice huge fuzzy one
  • Turn on the space heater, put it on the floor facing you
  • Put the edges of the blanket that are by your feet over the top of the space heater, but don't block the intakes on the back
  • Enjoy ghetto-kotatsu-2k12TM

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Man, I'm from Hawaii and I can still manage to be just fine here as long as I keep my feet off the freezing rear end tiles.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

duckfarts posted:

• Put the edges of the blanket that are by your feet over the top of the space heater, but don't block the intakes on the back

Additionally, get a girlfriend/wife. They are pretty good spaceheaters in the bed, among other benefits.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
All I know is that my cat thinks I'm a total rear end in a top hat every time I get off the couch.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

duckfarts posted:

This seems as sensible as smoking in bed to stay warm.

But then I'm back in New Jersey until January and I'm freezing my rear end off, even with indoor heating.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

GoutPatrol posted:

This seems as sensible as smoking in bed to stay warm.

But then I'm back in New Jersey until January and I'm freezing my rear end off, even with indoor heating.

1) don't sleep like this
2) the ceramic heaters aren't likely to get hot enough to ignite anything; again, don't get an open element heater

Another way I just thought of is to get a tiny coffee table(or bricks + a board), put the heater under it, then put the blanket over that(leaving the side behind the heater open).

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Ravendas posted:

Additionally, get a girlfriend/wife. They are pretty good spaceheaters in the bed, among other benefits.

Pro-Tip qft.

Also: Hi duckfarts, I assume the rest of your journey home went according to a loosely adjusted plan - or are you still at the holiday inn?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

url posted:

Pro-Tip qft.

Also: Hi duckfarts, I assume the rest of your journey home went according to a loosely adjusted plan - or are you still at the holiday inn?
No, got home fine, took a train the next day. Fun drama will be submitting a claim to AA later to get a refund on the last segment of the trip home.

Went to a grocery store earlier today, makes me hope Taiwan will keep moving towards getting more actual variety in... everything.

On the other hand, US portion sized are fuckin' huge now(or maybe they were already!): a McD's combo starts with large fries, and it's a 10 piece nuggets vs 6 piece by default, more expensive too, I think.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Looks like 7-11s are now stocking Rockstar Energy drink. Let's stock up and buy some Jager before they inevitably discontinue it.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

At a deadly pace it came from... outer space!
Well, my new year plans fell through. Any awesome drinking going on tonight? Or any time soon really.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Oz_Bonus posted:

Well, my new year plans fell through. Any awesome drinking going on tonight? Or any time soon really.

If you want to take the train to Yingge, we'd love to have drinks with you out here. It's not even all the way to Sanxia!

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Oz_Bonus posted:

It's late, I sent pm.

Happy New Year's to any of you who I don't see tonight.

Apologies and Happy New Years to any of you who I do see tonight.

:)

also: HNY to Duckfarts on the US clock, hope you have a good one bud :)

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
It's cool, New Years just hit, celebrated it twice now with TW friends via FaceTime.

Technology's pretty neat.

TheKING
Aug 13, 2003

Going back to Taipei from Feb - May since my job lets me telecommute (just not in summer months). I'm pretty familiar with the area, but looking for an apartment (preferably with roommates) for that time period. I'm clean and laid back with no particularly annoying habits, looking for the same thing with roommates. As far as the apartment, the biggest priorities are good internet for my job, security is preferable, decent bus/MRT access, and no jackhammers at 8:00 am. I realize the time frame (4 months) is awkward, so I'm willing to negotiate price if need be. PM me or reply to thread.

Either way, I'm up for hanging out when I get there.

Will Rice
Jun 6, 2006
Will Sweep!
Does anyone know where I can buy a kettle bell/medicine ball in Taipei? Shipping from the US is about $80 apparently.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Will Rice posted:

Does anyone know where I can buy a kettle bell/medicine ball in Taipei? Shipping from the US is about $80 apparently.
You could try Formosa Fitness ( http://formosafitness.com/ )

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Anyone familiar with the yingwen bookstores in Taiwan know if any of them carry the kinds of books that are on the first page of the EFL thread? I'm running out of ideas for kindergarten games and the games Hess recommends are by and large stupid stupid bullshit.

So Much Ponies
Dec 12, 2005

zoom zoom
Stupid stupid bullshit is what works!

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

quadrophrenic posted:

Anyone familiar with the yingwen bookstores in Taiwan know if any of them carry the kinds of books that are on the first page of the EFL thread? I'm running out of ideas for kindergarten games and the games Hess recommends are by and large stupid stupid bullshit.

I hate subbing kindergarten, because not only are the 'games' dumb (which actually work), they're repeated an entire week at a time.

I used to bring in a bunch of d8,d10,d12,d20,d100's and such to do some little counting games. Roll the die, get that many points if you can either count up to it (with lower numbers) or say the number (for the 1-100). Incredibly easy, quick, kids liked it, and since I bought a Chessex Pound O' Dice I've got a ton of dice.

What's worse is the person your subbing for says "Oh yah, fun times are all planned out, cya in a few weeks!", and it's either not planned, or planned with impossible to get materials.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
In my morning math class today, we were supposed to practice measuring the temperature of different types of water. The lesson was supposed to introduce the simplicity and brilliance of the Celsius scale. Well, we had no ice water, the assistant left soap in the bowl for boiling water, and the thermometer wasn't designed to get hot. The smell of boiling soap and whatever mercury substitute they're using these days (which I guess could just be mercury?) isn't pleasant.

Next time, I'll stick to bullshit games.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Haraksha posted:

the thermometer wasn't designed to get hot.

:raise:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

It was too late I noticed it stopped at 50C.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Oh so they gave you those outdoor weather thermometers to measure boiling water?

Are you sure your school isn't trying to kill you? ;)

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
C'mon, this is Taiwan - you should be using those cool point 'n shoot infrared thermometers they have at the tech marts.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

duckfarts posted:

C'mon, this is Taiwan - you should be using those cool point 'n shoot infrared thermometers they have at the tech marts.

That would require my school to spend money on things and I can assure you they have a very hard time doing that.

USDA Choice posted:

Oh so they gave you those outdoor weather thermometers to measure boiling water?

Probably.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

USDA Choice posted:

You'd be amazed at the general incompetence.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
Hello everyone. I'm considering a teaching job in Hsinchu and they're telling me that I will need to get my bachelor's degree notarized by the Taiwanese embassy before arriving in the country. I can't find any solid information about this on the official Taiwan visa website, so I'm wondering if it's just a regulation for that specific company. Or, if it is common, does anyone have any experience? Does anyone know if a copy of the degree will work, or does it have to be the original?

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Oh. My. Zeus. posted:

Hello everyone. I'm considering a teaching job in Hsinchu and they're telling me that I will need to get my bachelor's degree notarized by the Taiwanese embassy before arriving in the country. I can't find any solid information about this on the official Taiwan visa website, so I'm wondering if it's just a regulation for that specific company. Or, if it is common, does anyone have any experience? Does anyone know if a copy of the degree will work, or does it have to be the original?

Are they trying to get you a resident visa immediately (as opposed to fly in and do the paperwork here)? If so, that makes sense. Theoretically someone somewhere down the line must see your original diploma and if they're gonna fork over a resident visa from abroad you'll need that notarized. Students coming to Taiwan for long-term degree study (i.e. not Chinese language) get resident visas right away, and they must do the same.

It's not common, but that's because most schools won't have you do the visa crap while you're still abroad. You'd just land in Taiwan and say goodbye to your diploma for a couple weeks and hope it doesn't fall through a crack somewhere at a bureaucrat's desk. A photocopy isn't supposed to work, but ask anyone in the thread and the answer to any question regarding Taiwanese bureaucracy is "it depends."

This paragraph all hearsay: I've heard that graduates of "lesser" schools have to get them notarized. I don't mean Penn State vs. Penn, but rather something like Leroy Jones's School of Carpentry and Good Math Learnin's that the Taiwanese government may never have heard of. I think I've heard chatter of South Africans having to get them notarized more often? Might be some racist thing, or perhaps there's more genuine documented fraud there too.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
It's actually becoming very common to get degrees notarized. When I first arrived my photocopy worked for about 4 different ARCs and then one day out of the blue they asked for the original and to have it notarized.

When I got it done I shipped off the original and a photocopy. This was for a normal year-to-year residency card.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
I've never needed the original. I just have a photo copy saved on a USB, and I've never had any trouble. I'd actually be kinda hosed if they did ask for the original because I don't have it, and I don't remember where it is even at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
Thanks fellas. That sounds pretty positive. I also have no idea where my original diploma is.

USDA Choice posted:

Are they trying to get you a resident visa immediately (as opposed to fly in and do the paperwork here)?

Yep. This school looks very professional and I've already had a chat with a couple people from there. They seem to know how to get visa stuff sorted out easily enough, but it seemed like a good idea to ask the thread just to be safe. I used to live on the mainland so I'm used to massive bureaucratic incompetence.