Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

No Rest for the Living is very good Doom 2 pwad and easily the best reason to even consider shelling out for Doom 3 BFG Edition. Played it with Brutal Doom and had a fantastic time, though the last map gets really hairy.

vv also a good suggestion.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

A smug sociopath posted:

Holy loving hell Alien Vendetta mixed with Brutal Doom is crazy. It's just non stop slaughter, and intense as hell. I had to dial the difficulty all the way down, but I'm loving it. This poo poo makes Serious Sam feel restrained and tame.

Are there other map packs that could be recommended for playing with Brutal Doom? I've played through the original Dooms, TNT Evilution and Plutonia Experiment already, as well as that city level made by the Brutal Doom guy (loved it).

Memento Mori 2!

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

SavageMessiah posted:

Memento Mori 2!

This. Memento Mori 2 deserves all the praise it gets. A tense, wonderful slug-fest.

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.
Thanks! Going to download that right away.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I personally love Kama Sutra but I haven't tried it with brutal doom because that poo poo is unfun. Try KS though it owns.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Cat Mattress posted:

Try setting Scale text in high res to "double". For the alternate HUD, you also have hud_althudscale which you can set to 2.
"Scale text in high res" will deal with message text and dialogue, but to get the rest of the HUD to properly scale you need to type "hud_scale true" into the console. Turn both of those on and everything will be nice and readable at any resolution. As for why this essential option is hidden behind a console command and turned off by default.... Your guess is as good as mine.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It is in the HUD options menu.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
It is for newer versions of (G)ZDoom, but it was a recent addition, so it's not there for Skulltag/Zandronum, although you can still enable it using the console.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Zeether posted:

I tried making a shortcut with -windowGUI added and the HUD still does not show up, even when I press the - or + keys. It might be due to running on a laptop or something, I could try it on my desktop when I have access to it.

I forgot a critical step to making everything work! The unofficial patch only works if you are running 1.0 and not 1.01. Use this downgrader to change your poo poo up, then install the unofficial patch, which includes all fixes.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I forgot a critical step to making everything work! The unofficial patch only works if you are running 1.0 and not 1.01. Use this downgrader to change your poo poo up, then install the unofficial patch, which includes all fixes.
The game gives me an error when I launch it now, even through a shortcut.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So I finished Doom 2 on UV, but with mid-game saves (not used much early, but used a ton in the second half when I found the game a slog).

The first two level sets were pretty awesome. They were better than Episode 1, maybe not as strong as Thy Flesh Consumed. The sequence of Maps 7-10 (Dead Simple to Refueling Base) was just fantastic. Gimmicky, but a ton of fun. The city levels were a mixed bag. They looked like poo poo (until The Citadel) but it was a blast slaughtering hundreds of monsters in the wide open spaces. They definitely grew on me (or improved after The Factory).

The last level set was just a slog. Ugly levels, uninteresting encounters, unintuitive flow to the levels. Monster Condo was a highlight, The Spirit World was awful. By Icon of Sin I was just waiting for the game to end so I could start playing various Wads and No Rest For the Living. That bossfight was dumb. Between Doom and Doom 2, the best endboss fight, I think, wasn't an endboss, it was the Cyberdemon in Against Thee Wickedly. The distance made that fight so much more interesting. Plus maybe the fact it wasn't the nth Cyberdemon / big spider thing I had seen by that point.

And Barrels of Fun was loving stupid. Oh yay, a level where I get to reload a dozen times because I entered with only half health.

e: Going to try master levels first I guess. Any particular highlights to that set?

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 22, 2012

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Has the new Reelism been released yet? If not, any info on a release date?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Harminoff posted:

Has the new Reelism been released yet? If not, any info on a release date?

This is what Kins has to say:

The Kins posted:

Oh god not now I'm not nearly done I still have at least three jackpots and so many bugs to fix :gonk:

January's more realistic. I was aiming for Christmas Day, but it's probably not happening.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

And Barrels of Fun was loving stupid. Oh yay, a level where I get to reload a dozen times because I entered with only half health.

How on earth did you take any damage at all before hitting the berserk pack in the second room?

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Jordan7hm posted:

e: Going to try master levels first I guess. Any particular highlights to that set?

The stuff by Dr. Sleep is great (VIRGIL, MINOS, NESSUS, GERYON, VESPERAS). I would also say the stuff by Klie is fun if not awe-inspiring (SUBTERRA, SUBSPACE, CATWALK, FISTULA, GARRISON, COMBINE). Willits made some pretty good levels with his sister (ATTACK and CANYON). Mustaine's PARADOX is also nice.

Kvernmo and Flynn's levels are the real outliers. If you enjoy Doom's puzzle-style gameplay I would give Flynn's maps (MANOR, TTRAP) a look, but that's an acquired taste. Kvernmo's BLOODSEA is breathable but the rest are varying degrees of cool ideas vs. nasty difficulty, especially TEETH.

Good luck and have fun!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If you cannot navigate the first part of Barrels of Fun without taking damage, the secret level in TEETH.WAD will seem right impossible. (It's actually very much possible. It requires little gunning but a lot of running.)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kakumei posted:

How on earth did you take any damage at all before hitting the berserk pack in the second room?

Maybe I was doing it wrong. I ended up avoiding damage by shooting out barrels at the far end of the room and then running there. The thing was having the exploding barrels not cascade across the entire room and instakill me. I guess I could have just run for it? I dunno. I'll replay the level and see what other options there were, but I just didn't enjoy it at all.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Maybe I was doing it wrong. I ended up avoiding damage by shooting out barrels at the far end of the room and then running there. The thing was having the exploding barrels not cascade across the entire room and instakill me. I guess I could have just run for it? I dunno. I'll replay the level and see what other options there were, but I just didn't enjoy it at all.

You just run for it, you don't shoot until you're past the barrels completely.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You run like hell, without shooting anything. The mancubus behind you will eventually fire and explode the barrels, you want to be away when that happens.

It's actually a pretty fun level because it forces you to adopt a different gameplay. Like other Petersen levels, it makes you approach the problem of "solving" the level in a different way. E.g. Fortress of Mystery requires dodging attacks while instigating infighting unless the opposition is weakened enough; Limbo is a teleport puzzle; Suburbs is a prototype slaughtermap with its teleport invasion; The Chasm is about navigating carefully; Monster Condo is a long series of ambushes; etc. These levels aren't always successful in being entertaining; but they are always inventive.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Cat Mattress posted:

You run like hell, without shooting anything. The mancubus behind you will eventually fire and explode the barrels, you want to be away when that happens.

It's actually a pretty fun level because it forces you to adopt a different gameplay. Like other Petersen levels, it makes you approach the problem of "solving" the level in a different way. E.g. Fortress of Mystery requires dodging attacks while instigating infighting unless the opposition is weakened enough; Limbo is a teleport puzzle; Suburbs is a prototype slaughtermap with its teleport invasion; The Chasm is about navigating carefully; Monster Condo is a long series of ambushes; etc. These levels aren't always successful in being entertaining; but they are always inventive.

Yup! Petersen's maps tend to be based around some sort of concept, gimmick, or experiment, each of them trying to do something rather distinct from the others, whereas Romero's and McGee's styles are typically more consistent and formulaic. McGee's Doom II maps will usually consist of setpiece rooms divided by basic corridors, and Romero's Doom II maps will usually be based around a central hub area and feature lots of catwalks over damaging floors. (Not that there's anything wrong with that. I love Sandy's maps and I'll freely admit that they're a bit of an acquired taste.)

Earlier this year I made an attempt at imitating each of the three main Doom II mappers for the still-in-progress Doom II The Way Id Did project. There are a couple of minor issues I need to correct at some point but I'm pretty pleased with how they came out: McGee: Water Main, Petersen: Dead Sea, Romero: Leap of Faith :)

esselfortium fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 22, 2012

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm glad that you didn't try to justify the mapmaking holocaust known as The Pit. :colbert:

I know it's cool to be down on Doom 2 nowadays, but I still love all of it. Except for The Pit, which is atrocious. Even getting through it quickly is a miserable chore.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

The Pit is easily one of my favorite official levels. What's the matter with it? :\

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm a mapmaker (although for Marathon, not Doom), I've been doing it for years, and Pit is one of my ultimate inspirations for Things Not To Do.

Disclaimer: I do not claim to espouse a professional opinion on map design theory.

First of all, thematically, the map is a disjointed mess. Most of the rooms exist simply to house overly-complicated traps, and don't flow smoothly from one to another. The biggest one that kills me is the one at the start, where you raise the platform to get to the outdoor BFG room. There are about a million better ways and places to put a platform to get to the outdoor BFG room without cutting off the goddamn switch nook from the rest of the room. It necessitates a second platform to jump onto the first platform, which is a big ol' plate of Psyduck that I just don't get. Plus, it makes the subsequent battle (where you cross back to get to the blue door) more disjointed since the room that the Pain Elemental and company spawn in is now cut in half. I also am not at all a fan of the transition from the blue key area to the yellow key area; it seems pointlessly obfuscated by having the stairs triggered separately from the door. It's not a good puzzle to me.

Secondly, the fact that's a trap-oriented map that comes right after Tricks and Traps is a bad pacing decision in terms of the overall campaign. I love Tricks and Traps. It's one of my favorite levels in the game because it's a gimmicky map with obvious setpieces that are still generally fun. Putting The Pit right after that is exhausting to me. Pit also has, what, double the monster count of T&T? So every trap leads to a massive fight on top of it.

Third: Most of the traps and setpieces are far too high-cost for the rewards, so an inexperienced player will end up being killed outright or at least far behind just for trying to grab the items that he fought to get in the first place. Probably the worst trap in the game is the goddamned rocket launcher and Supercharge on the top floor. I don't think I need to further explain why that trap is awful. It's just cheap as hell. (Incidentally, the four or five doors you have to open to reach the Supercharge is a pointless flow-killer as well that I hate.) There's also the massive "giant staircase" room in the yellow key area that leads to a blue armor and Supercharge. That room takes forever to clear out and it's super annoying, and for what's functionally almost-as-good-as-a-Megasphere? Thanks. It's not worth the ammo cost.

Fourth: I don't like how most of the fights themselves are composed. The BFG yard is fun once you figure out how that central platform works, but the rest of the map is really heavy on choke-points that you have to either rush or kite -- there aren't many plain old "big fights" like on say Refueling Base (another map that I rather enjoy). The room with the yellow key is just the worst of it, but coming out of that clusterfuck rocket launcher trap room only to find another thousand Chaingunners at the end of that tiny hallway is a real bear.

So, yeah, I just rush through The Pit and don't pay any mind to the secrets.

TLDR edition: Annoying traps, bad and overlarge fights, clunky flow and no consistent theme to the design.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
My son and I are blasting thru Chex Quest w/Samsara (Duke Nukem off limits of course) and having a blast. Using regular ZDoom though (wife is not a gamer and her PC shows it), and keep getting out of sync once in awhile. I've read ZDoom isn't the most stable port for LAN play, but ZDL made it super easy to set a game up. Can anyone recommend a better port that's easy to set up for network play, or easier with a frontend?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

That Ignorant Sap posted:

My son and I are blasting thru Chex Quest w/Samsara (Duke Nukem off limits of course) and having a blast. Using regular ZDoom though (wife is not a gamer and her PC shows it), and keep getting out of sync once in awhile. I've read ZDoom isn't the most stable port for LAN play, but ZDL made it super easy to set a game up. Can anyone recommend a better port that's easy to set up for network play, or easier with a frontend?

Zandronum is a slightly earlier build of GZDoom with much more advanced networking - it's built for multiplayer.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Am I like the only person in history to think Tom Hall did some good maps? Nobody ever brings him up in these lines of discussion unless it's to say that his work was poo poo. I'm not advocating that his maps were the best ever, and frankly he did make some bad ones, but I liked a lot of designs that were holdovers from his work.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Am I like the only person in history to think Tom Hall did some good maps? Nobody ever brings him up in these lines of discussion unless it's to say that his work was poo poo. I'm not advocating that his maps were the best ever, and frankly he did make some bad ones, but I liked a lot of designs that were holdovers from his work.

I liked E1M4, where he finally got into incorporating height variation, larger scale, and more abstract elements into his designs. (If I recall correctly, Romero has said that E1M4 was mostly Tom's finished work other than the actual key/item progression.)

Most of the other levels that were based on Tom's designs were from so early in Doom's development that they were rather square, flat, and Wolfensteinish. E2M3 and E2M7 are probably the worst offenders in this regard.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

That Ignorant Sap posted:

next up try ChexQuest with Brutal Doom

I mean obviously its buggy as all hell but its kind of hilarious watching different monsters morph into Doom monsters and back and seeing out of place stuff like that everywhere.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
In other news: GZDoom 1.7.0 is out. Among the new features, the most important might be the updated website. Poor version 1.6.0 never got to be on the frontpage.

And in addition, ECWolf 1.1.1 was released too. Same wolftime, same wolfurl.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

RyokoTK posted:

I'm a mapmaker (although for Marathon, not Doom), I've been doing it for years, and Pit is one of my ultimate inspirations for Things Not To Do.

Disclaimer: I do not claim to espouse a professional opinion on map design theory.

First of all, thematically, the map is a disjointed mess. Most of the rooms exist simply to house overly-complicated traps, and don't flow smoothly from one to another. The biggest one that kills me is the one at the start, where you raise the platform to get to the outdoor BFG room. There are about a million better ways and places to put a platform to get to the outdoor BFG room without cutting off the goddamn switch nook from the rest of the room. It necessitates a second platform to jump onto the first platform, which is a big ol' plate of Psyduck that I just don't get. Plus, it makes the subsequent battle (where you cross back to get to the blue door) more disjointed since the room that the Pain Elemental and company spawn in is now cut in half. I also am not at all a fan of the transition from the blue key area to the yellow key area; it seems pointlessly obfuscated by having the stairs triggered separately from the door. It's not a good puzzle to me.

Secondly, the fact that's a trap-oriented map that comes right after Tricks and Traps is a bad pacing decision in terms of the overall campaign. I love Tricks and Traps. It's one of my favorite levels in the game because it's a gimmicky map with obvious setpieces that are still generally fun. Putting The Pit right after that is exhausting to me. Pit also has, what, double the monster count of T&T? So every trap leads to a massive fight on top of it.

Third: Most of the traps and setpieces are far too high-cost for the rewards, so an inexperienced player will end up being killed outright or at least far behind just for trying to grab the items that he fought to get in the first place. Probably the worst trap in the game is the goddamned rocket launcher and Supercharge on the top floor. I don't think I need to further explain why that trap is awful. It's just cheap as hell. (Incidentally, the four or five doors you have to open to reach the Supercharge is a pointless flow-killer as well that I hate.) There's also the massive "giant staircase" room in the yellow key area that leads to a blue armor and Supercharge. That room takes forever to clear out and it's super annoying, and for what's functionally almost-as-good-as-a-Megasphere? Thanks. It's not worth the ammo cost.

Fourth: I don't like how most of the fights themselves are composed. The BFG yard is fun once you figure out how that central platform works, but the rest of the map is really heavy on choke-points that you have to either rush or kite -- there aren't many plain old "big fights" like on say Refueling Base (another map that I rather enjoy). The room with the yellow key is just the worst of it, but coming out of that clusterfuck rocket launcher trap room only to find another thousand Chaingunners at the end of that tiny hallway is a real bear.

So, yeah, I just rush through The Pit and don't pay any mind to the secrets.

TLDR edition: Annoying traps, bad and overlarge fights, clunky flow and no consistent theme to the design.

Excellent post. I've reran Doom2 a fair few times since it was released and honestly you hit the nail on the head in that the Pit just tires you out after Tricks and Traps. Followed by Refueling Base then the Factory (map 12 cancelled a lot of runs for me, god I hate the factory) that sequence of levels unfortunately is a little too much and bores you before you get to the excellent Circle of Death and the maps beyond which I personally really enjoy.

There are a few levels which are wad killers in Doom2 and the Pit is right up there.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

RyokoTK posted:

:words:

The fact that I can't remember literally any of the rooms and areas you just mentioned speaks for the fact that the map is an unmemorable piece of poo poo. It and the few maps following it are my biggest gripes with Doom II.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

maev posted:

Excellent post. I've reran Doom2 a fair few times since it was released and honestly you hit the nail on the head in that the Pit just tires you out after Tricks and Traps. Followed by Refueling Base then the Factory (map 12 cancelled a lot of runs for me, god I hate the factory) that sequence of levels unfortunately is a little too much and bores you before you get to the excellent Circle of Death and the maps beyond which I personally really enjoy.

There are a few levels which are wad killers in Doom2 and the Pit is right up there.

I like Refueling Base. It's a lot of big fights, but they're in big open rooms that are quirky enough to be interesting but not annoying. The dark room with the bazillion zombies is fun as hell.

Factory is loving garbage though. It's that end room with the Cacos that kills it for me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The main problem I had with Refueling Base is that The Pit is such a huge ammo dump, and entering that level with five shells, 40 bullets, and two rockets is such a pain in the rear end.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The main problem I had with Refueling Base is that The Pit is such a huge ammo dump, and entering that level with five shells, 40 bullets, and two rockets is such a pain in the rear end.

I thought that was the best part. I essentially had a worse than pistol start. I had half health and barely any pistol ammo, and nothing else. I had the weapons already though, so not quite worse. It was a loving slog, but it was fun. Thank god for that secret SG.

I dunno. I really enjoyed that sequence of levels. Maybe my favorite part of doom 2.

Roonerspism
Nov 12, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

It's interesting to hear this because when I go back to play official levels, it usually goes 01-08, skip to 10. The most fun I ever have with official Doom II is generally doing Refueling Base 100% from a pistol start.

(then I might do 11, but no more after that. I've given factory and downtown every second chance they deserve already)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Anyone who skips Inmost Dens (16?) and anything past 20 or so is doing themselves a huuuuge disservice. The end of Doom 2 is fantastic.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

I'm getting some annoying mouse lag using eduke32. I've fixed the problem before but I don't remember how and I'm not finding anything helpful using google. Vsync's disabled, not sure what the deal is here.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The new "software" lighting mode in GZDoom is pretty great, be sure to try it out.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
The Duke 3D High Resolution Pack was updated today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ha, there's a new Brutal Doom build in the works, and it's adding one of those 'straight out of my 12-year-old mind' features. You can kick humanoid enemies in the crotch to stun them for a few seconds, but if you don't kill them in that time, then they get pissed off and fire more rapidly.

There also seems to be some Unreal 1-esque evasion moves for enemies added. I'd imagine that'll be reserved for Nightmare mode. Imps dodging your chaingun fire? Scary thought.