Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Saw Eric and Ernie earlier, which was nice. Realised I recognised Eric Morcombe. After beating Benedict Cumberbatch and Matt Smith to a BAFTA, what did he go on to do?

Bloody BT student ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'm old enough to have been a kid when the Snowman was first on TV at Christmas, and let me tell you, it was loving poo poo back then as well.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

keep punching joe posted:

I'm old enough to have been a kid when the Snowman was first on TV at Christmas, and let me tell you, it was loving poo poo back then as well.

Same here.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Ditto. Courtesy of my rather irresponsible cousins I was already on Lone Wolf and Cub replete with chopping off of limbs. It made thundercats and he-man look a little tame.

No walking on the air for me.

I really should get those fuckers done for some sort of head abuse.

e: Ive been trying to think for the past couple of minutes what was actually good, and ive come up with Danger Mouse!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2MT2EJbWEY

voiced of course by David Jason or del boy :)

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 24, 2012

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Did nobody watch Peep Show then? The final one of the series is on tomorrow too!

Poor Jez. I definitely hate Mark now though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It is set up for an ending where Mark gets pretty much beaten up by a bunch of blokes with a plank like the last one with Jez.

Is this the last one? because tonights one despite a few good lines was kind of bland.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

"Is that Big Mad Andy?"
"Yeahh, he's worked out he's got abandonment issues."
"Are you going to answer it?"
"..nahhh."

I loved that for its barefaced cheek in not even trying to masquerade as anything other than a cheap and simple joke but still being funny all the same.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm enjoying what an absolute poo poo Mark is becoming. I mean, he was always a poo poo, but now he's reveling in it.

Because somehow he wins.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

I've just discovered This is England and the two follow up series' recently, and am now in search of similar shows...or at least shows at the same level of quality.

I have watched a number of British shows over the years, but most of my favorites have typically been in the dark comedy (black mirror, misfits, the office) realm.

Any suggestions on something to check out that would be a worthy follow up to This Is England?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
You might want to check out the Red Riding trilogy, or State of Play. If you really feel like digging in to some quality drama GBH (starring Michael Palin) still holds up well despite being 20 odd years old.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

GBH is the best thing Robert Lindsay has ever done.

Anyway, speaking of This is England, do we have any more news on TiE '90?

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Pumpking posted:

The ending better be bleak as poo poo like the first one. Seriously, that was an education to 5 year old me.

The snowdog will become rabid and have to be put down before it even gets a chance to melt overnight.

The concept of this sequel is hard to take. Kid discovers his festive god powers, has the ability to make any creature out of snow, yet creates a dog instead of Kelly Brook or a brontosaurus.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Acrolos posted:

I've just discovered This is England and the two follow up series' recently, and am now in search of similar shows...or at least shows at the same level of quality.

I have watched a number of British shows over the years, but most of my favorites have typically been in the dark comedy (black mirror, misfits, the office) realm.

Any suggestions on something to check out that would be a worthy follow up to This Is England?

Maybe Submarine and Cemetery Junction for coming-of-age period movies. Also, the Joy Division film Control? Dead Man's Shoes for more violent Shane Meadows.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Definitely watch Dead Man's Shoes and A Room for Romeo Brass if you liked This Is England and haven't seen them.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Is it my imagination or is the Christmas indent packages kinda crap this year?

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Looking at the TV schedule, this has to be one of the shittest Christmas Eves on record.

Double Happiness
Aug 4, 2010

Quit smoking reduces heart risk

Quanta posted:

Looking at the TV schedule, this has to be one of the shittest Christmas Eves on record.

You must be joking, I'm thoroughly excited for "Paul O'Grady: For The Love of Dogs" on ITV tomorrow evening!

But honestly, it's like they're not even trying anymore.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Been recording stuff to the box for the last month in preparation for this dark day. Proper Planning Protects from Piss Poor Programmes.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

They pissed all the money away into the festive Idents.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

They pissed all the money away into the festive Idents.

What festive idents? Particle Effect on a spline xmas tree (BBC 1), the same drat ident from last year (BBC 2), the only genuine contender this year, soured by an enviable mutation of the logo (ITV) or our normal idents with jingle-bells? (4)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

What festive idents? Particle Effect on a spline xmas tree (BBC 1), the same drat ident from last year (BBC 2), the only genuine contender this year, soured by an enviable mutation of the logo (ITV) or our normal idents with jingle-bells? (4)

The previous three years Idents to be fair then. They wish they had the money for things now.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
All the money in the world won't stop the simple fact that there's not one iota of imagination in most indents these days.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I wonder if there is a guy who is the veteran ident actor you must have.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Why the gently caress did I watch The McFly Show and enjoy it so much.

What is happening to me.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Leyburn posted:

Why the gently caress did I watch The McFly Show and enjoy it so much.

What is happening to me.
Have you been drinking Scotlands' favourite Christmas cocktail of Special Brew and Diazepam a little bit too early this year?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

It is set up for an ending where Mark gets pretty much beaten up by a bunch of blokes with a plank like the last one with Jez.

Is this the last one? because tonights one despite a few good lines was kind of bland.

One bit I liked which I hope was intendid and not my looking too hard:
In Episode 4 Jez mentions how he thinks bees are poo poo when stoned with Dobby.
Then in episode 5 Mark is preparing to talk to the Housing council and then mentions how he's got a great metaphor with Bees as everyone likes bees!

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Irisi posted:

Have you been drinking Scotlands' favourite Christmas cocktail of Special Brew and Diazepam a little bit too early this year?

They're not exactly the Monkees, but they'll do.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I watched a Johnny Cash Christmas special from 1979, then an Elvis one from 195-something. I enjoyed them a lot more than my mother did.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Geokinesis posted:

One bit I liked which I hope was intendid and not my looking too hard:
In Episode 4 Jez mentions how he thinks bees are poo poo when stoned with Dobby.
Then in episode 5 Mark is preparing to talk to the Housing council and then mentions how he's got a great metaphor with Bees as everyone likes bees!

I didn't catch that bit because of my terrible memory, but that was pretty neat.

I am glad it wasn't too cringe inducing too.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Well, the new snowman is apparently so bad even my mum turned it off.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
The new snowman has lovely soft pop music, a CG aeroplane and racist Chinese caricatures.
e: ugh and a fairly happy ending, what good is the snowman if it can't make small children cry themselves to sleep on Christmas eve?

Prism Mirror Lens fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 24, 2012

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
I concur, the new snowman (featuring snowdog) was crap.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Paperhouse posted:

Definitely watch Dead Man's Shoes and A Room for Romeo Brass if you liked This Is England and haven't seen them.

Tyrannosaur too, directed by Paddy Considine. Very unsettling, but great if you like those.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
That was a singularly unfunny episode of Peep Show. Bit depressing really.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

The new snowman has lovely soft pop music, a CG aeroplane and racist Chinese caricatures.
e: ugh and a fairly happy ending, what good is the snowman if it can't make small children cry themselves to sleep on Christmas eve?

Yeah, saw this coming from a mile off.

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

Rondette posted:

Is the finale on tonight?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Rondette posted:

Oh? I really liked it actually. Was just coming in to say so.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

BobMcFartsens posted:

Is the finale on tonight?

Was on an hour ago, yeah.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
poo poo ending to the shittiest series of Peep Show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Felt a little flat honestly.

Bit with Super Hans and his place was gold though.