Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I had no idea test was f2p and gold, it'll be a good way to get my strange fixation to play a berserker out of my system at least once in a while.

In as Masuriya on test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Stanos posted:

...it'll be a good way to get my strange fixation to play a berserker out of my system...

I actually have developed a mild desire to play a 'Zerker myself, but not for any intelligent reason. They seem to be one of the least-played classes on Luclin at this point in history (right up there with Paladins in this age of Mage/Shaman/SK/Ranger), people bitch about them constantly, and they seem almost marginalized in a game that has done a pretty good job overall of balancing 16 different classes. Somehow, this has given me a perverse desire to give one a try even though I tend to find pure melee classes in EQ (monk not so much, but warrior & rogue very much) extremely tedious.

I have to say that WoW did a much better job of making pure melee classes fun than EQ did, at least some years ago. Warriors had a lot of responsibility, variety, and reactive abilities while rogues were basically just ninjas with all the trimmings (smoke bombs, misdirection abilities, etc)

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
It might have changed since I quit, but back when I was playing, zerkers were wanted for raid burns because they can burst insane DPS. Otherwise, there is absolutely no reason to want a zerker in a group over any other DPS class. They're basically rogues with NO utility whatsoever. I think they're maybe the only class in the game that has absolutely no desirable utility at all.

That said, they still get to hit things with a hugeass axe :black101:

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Yeah it's basically just some strange desire to be useless and hit things after playing a ranger off and on throughout my EQ career. Plus there's something viscerally good about playing a big dumb creature with a giant club or axe or sword or what have you.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Basically any of the DPS classes will be roughly the same in groups. As a druid I've been able to parse to within 50dps of our best rogue over a few hours of grinding at an aug camp. All the DPS classes tend to be within 2kdps of each other in groups if the players are paying attention and rolling discs well. What ADPS in group helps a bit, a mage in a group with a shm and a bard singing melee songs is not going to get nearly as much of a boost as a zerker in that group.

And I just saw that L100 J5 caster mercs are putting out ~10dkps on balanced with druid aura and black wolf. Those cheeky bastards are decent.

Mercs shouldn't worry any actual DPS class, I can keep around 8-10k going while keeping a knight alive.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I refuse to even consider a Beastlord or Zerker as they aren't original, classic classes. :colbert:

gently caress Vah Shir and Drakkin too. Only Iksars get a pass, although I race changed my monk some years ago because I wanted to be able to walk around the old, good-aligned cities. :3:

2X2 Eyes
May 30, 2010

|||||||||!

Pilsner posted:

gently caress Vah Shir and Drakkin too. Only Iksars get a pass, although I race changed my monk some years ago because I wanted to be able to walk around the old, good-aligned cities. :3:

I did this as well. Since I missed Cabilis I actually spent time gaining rep with the Iksars so I could hang around most parts of the city with my human. Now it is like I never left at all and can run around all of the old cities too. I do miss the sound Iksars made when they got hit though.

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
Awwww yeah

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

cycomatix posted:

Awwww yeah

Haha that was half the fun of playing my Rogue a billion years ago, trying to collect the drat illusion masks.

I think I had the Erudite, Iksar, Dark Elf, and Half Elf ones. Dear LORD the camp for the Half Elf one took forever, but I was a clicky addict with my Rogue. My bard too, actually...bard clickies were super fun because you could do them while moving. Which was amazing on a PVP server.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Apparently, via the use of shrouds (which is how I cheesed past the first half of the wizard 1.0), one can get the High Elf/Half Elf (I can never remember which) mask via a modified version of the rogue epic that any class can do (though only rogues/bards can use the mask). I plan on doing that at some point since I don't have to bother some rogue to do half of his Ragebringer again. Apparently the shroud is necessary to pick pockets at certain points, but apart from having to shroud for that bit my 80 bard should be able to tear right on through

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

There are some REALLY awesome illusion clickies for bard/rogue now. I snagged a really snazzy one from Morell's Castle last year and have a big list of ones I still want to camp. In fact, whenever I get around to playing again, I'll probably spend my time doing nothing but collecting a ton of useless but kickass illusion clickies for my bard.

Edit - I found the list:
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Items_Clicky_Illusion

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I spent about 40 minutes killing rats and I'm level 3. How much longer until something fun happens? I used funny money to be a dwarf beserker and I'm on the goon sever as Shotgaming.

Catullus
Oct 1, 2003

Hopefully you are in the tutorial,glooming deep mines. There are rats there as well, but must regular starting areas have rats too. Should be fast down there, but you need a mercenary! Grab one from any merc npc in pok, then relog and re-enter the tutorial. I think you tell Arthas a phrase to leave the mines for pok.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

AxeManiac posted:

I spent about 40 minutes killing rats and I'm level 3. How much longer until something fun happens? I used funny money to be a dwarf beserker and I'm on the goon sever as Shotgaming.

Everquest is more of a nostalgia game at the lower levels. It's probably not fun at all to someone who didn't play it when they were younger. Like others stated in the thread you picked the class with the least utility. There isn't much to do for a while except press the auto attack button. ;/

A lot of the fun comes from being able to do things alone that once took a whole group or raid to do. And exploring old zones. Although I bet if there were a bunch of goons online you'd be able to find some entertainment and powerleveling..

DrMaddux
Mar 2, 2012

Sup Buds
Started playing this a few days ago on Vox. Having a lot of fun so far. Havent played eq (other than p99) since 2005. Kind of fun to see all the old spots though I am sad that Zek was so dead. Had many good memories of killing people in luclin. Also the new tutorial thing is pretty cool, wish they had that when i stated in 2000 :P

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Also, leveling up is now very quick at the low levels. Kill things that con dark blue, white, or yellow for the most exp (target them and right click or hit C), and hail (target and press H) the guards in the tutorial every so often to get some quests with good rewards for their level. The game is a bit dated compared to newer rpgs, but the nostalgia, depth, and sheer size of the world keeps me interested.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
So having only 6 item slots is stupid. Also now I have two tomes that I don't know what to do with and can't sell. Do I need them? Should I keep on to them or destroy them and make more room for rat teeth?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

AxeManiac posted:

How much longer until something fun happens?

You probably won't hit that point. The problem is that you're playing a 20-expansion old game, so most of the magic that it would have had (think: pre-wow, 1999, how revolutionary EQ was for its time) will be utterly lost on you. especially if you're just playing a few hours, since everyone will be at level 90+ and doing 20th expansion poo poo and the low level stuff will be long abandoned.

For item slots, you buy bags, and put a bag in each item slot. The tomes are probably...I have no clue, disciplines maybe? Try opening your discipline UI (Alt+c?) and entering them there.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 25, 2012

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I threw them away, my dwarf berserker has no time to read.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

AxeManiac posted:

One of the tomes is for a snare ability which is awesome. At the very least use that to keep throwing skill up for the later good tomes.

Berzerkers are rough until about 71-ish. Hell, the game pre-65 is pretty harsh for melee.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

AxeManiac posted:

Right click them to learn the skill. Alt c opens the combat skills window.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
So I realized out that I have the most fun checking the bazaar for upgrades / good deals, and made some alts to check out the bazaar on other servers. And HOLY poo poo, Firiona Vie has awesome poo poo going on in the bazaar.

Anyone else play on FV? Any words to convince or warn me off for playing on it? And how does attuneable stuff work on FV - does it turn nodrop when equipped?

DrMaddux
Mar 2, 2012

Sup Buds
Is there a list of items that are still in the game? I keep looking on the bazaar for weapons and gear, but Im hard pressed to find anything that isnt defiant.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
So some discussions about maybe rolling up a new three-box team if I move over to Firiona. Right now I'm doing monk / bard / shaman, and I'm thinking about dropping the bard. It seems like he doesn't add that much firepower with his songs - and it annoys me how he's always drawing aggro early with his songs when I pull a pack. Also, he's not that fun to itemize.

I definitely love having track, so thinking of swapping the bard out for a ranger. Does the bard mez start becoming necessary at higher levels? Seems like twisting more than one mez might be a little effort-intensive for a 3-boxing team. I also kind of like that the ranger has the option of DPSing from outside the scrum (though I understand it's sub-optimal).

I definitely like the shaman, with the haste and proc buffs, plus the slow. And having backup heals seems nice to complement the cleric merc. But I would be open to considering replacing the shaman with an enchanter, if mezes are really important later. I guess the mez would be better at mitigating close fights with multiple, mezzable mobs, and the shaman would be better at mitigating close fights with a single target. Any thoughts on which of these is more likely to come up?

Also thinking of swapping out the monk for a shadowknight, get to play around with some new AA's. And have the option of trying out swarming down the road.

So thinking about Shadowknight - Ranger - Shaman, or Shadowknight - Ranger - Enchanter. Any thoughts on shaman vs ench? Or the rest of the team?

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Giving the free version a shot after ten years without an MMO to devour my waking hours. I'm a wizard on the Luclin server by the name Thibodeau (BULLS BULLS BULLS) and I found some crude defiant gear...and I sold it to an NPC merchant without checking community prices for it :j:

Excited for shenanigans, though, I love sandbox games. I was in middle school when I last played Everquest. I had a Wood Elf Druid. Good times, good times.

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe

Devor posted:

So some discussions about maybe rolling up a new three-box team if I move over to Firiona. Right now I'm doing monk / bard / shaman, and I'm thinking about dropping the bard. It seems like he doesn't add that much firepower with his songs - and it annoys me how he's always drawing aggro early with his songs when I pull a pack. Also, he's not that fun to itemize.

I definitely love having track, so thinking of swapping the bard out for a ranger. Does the bard mez start becoming necessary at higher levels? Seems like twisting more than one mez might be a little effort-intensive for a 3-boxing team. I also kind of like that the ranger has the option of DPSing from outside the scrum (though I understand it's sub-optimal).

I definitely like the shaman, with the haste and proc buffs, plus the slow. And having backup heals seems nice to complement the cleric merc. But I would be open to considering replacing the shaman with an enchanter, if mezes are really important later. I guess the mez would be better at mitigating close fights with multiple, mezzable mobs, and the shaman would be better at mitigating close fights with a single target. Any thoughts on which of these is more likely to come up?

Also thinking of swapping out the monk for a shadowknight, get to play around with some new AA's. And have the option of trying out swarming down the road.

So thinking about Shadowknight - Ranger - Shaman, or Shadowknight - Ranger - Enchanter. Any thoughts on shaman vs ench? Or the rest of the team?

Honestly, outside of a few choice quests that spring up here and there, crowd control isn't as big a deal as it used to be. Shadow Knight and Bard are excellent pullers and can split just about anything, and most areas to fight in the later game aren't filled to the brings with adds waiting to attack you the second you make a pull.

Enchanters get an experience boost aura for the group, some mana regen, and those mezzes, but Shaman pretty much blows them away in utility.

I should also point out Bards get track at level 40, you just can't sort it like the ranger track.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

cycomatix posted:

I should also point out Bards get track at level 40, you just can't sort it like the ranger track.

That's how I got addicted to it :unsmith:

So I understand you, the SK can split well enough just by himself, if I drop the bard?

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Devor posted:

So I realized out that I have the most fun checking the bazaar for upgrades / good deals, and made some alts to check out the bazaar on other servers. And HOLY poo poo, Firiona Vie has awesome poo poo going on in the bazaar.

Anyone else play on FV? Any words to convince or warn me off for playing on it? And how does attuneable stuff work on FV - does it turn nodrop when equipped?

I play on FV. People either love it or hate it. I wouldn't transfer a character there though. Just make a new one to try out. You level quick these days and you can't transfer back off FV once you get there.

If you are interested in raiding the newest content, don't join FV. I mean they're sort of raiding it, but with a loot/greed-based server like FV the drama is incredibly dumb. If you just want to log in every once in a while and dick around or check what's for sale, FV is pretty fun.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Devor posted:

...if I drop the bard?

As someone who has played a bards since 2001, I am not sure why you would need to. Bards, to me, area great boxing class these days because you can setup a 4-song melody and just stand there, and they will help a ton. Bards at mid/high levels have haste, supplemental overhaste, AoE mana regen that stacks with virtually everything else, DS's, and a bunch of other things. Before /melody? Yes, bards would be shite for multi-boxing, but that was when, this is now. I think that if one were able to parse out how much DPS a bard does *plus* how much is added through haste/overhaste/songs that increase nuke damage etc it would be very competitive and impressive.

In short, I think that you are underestimating a class that is ideal for the current one-man-group environment that is prevalent today.

Also, the bard 2.0 click is fantastic and even the 1.0 combat proc is nice because it adds raw ATK to everyone in the group. Also, floating blue musical notes are neat!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

JustJeff88 posted:

As someone who has played a bards since 2001, I am not sure why you would need to. Bards, to me, area great boxing class these days because you can setup a 4-song melody and just stand there, and they will help a ton.

I guess it seemed like all he was adding was the overhaste and spell damage aura. And while that was kinda neat, it's a little boring for filling up a slot. Some rough numbers make it look like swapping in a ranger for some more pure damage wouldn't be that much of a total damage hit.

Though it looks like the super high level auras start adding triple attack and flurry too - any other fun things I'm missing?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I remember being a bard in the beginning...I was super popular because I was drat good at twisting songs, and even swapping out instruments as needed during those songs.

And then Melody and Bandoliers came around and I became obsolete. :(

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Well played bards are still a rarity compared to melody bots. They're more common now that the wrist killing manual song twisting is unnecessary, but it still takes skill to pull off all the pulling tricks, or to keep a few adds mezzed while keeping your melee attacks and a few group songs going.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Devor posted:

So I understand you, the SK can split well enough just by himself, if I drop the bard?

3 of my 4box were monk/bard/SK, I pulled on a monk for the majority of EQ's lifespan, and I quit using the monk in favor of the SK for pulling around 85. SK pulling once you get HA is fantastic. Splitting some camps is easier with bard/monk just because of lulls and mezzes, but HA is a free single pull guaranteed every time it's up

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

ponzicar posted:

Well played bards are still a rarity compared to melody bots. They're more common now that the wrist killing manual song twisting is unnecessary, but it still takes skill to pull off all the pulling tricks, or to keep a few adds mezzed while keeping your melee attacks and a few group songs going.

See, I did all of those things and still can, because I had several years of practice. As for pulling, yes, I could use more polish (bards became premier pullers some time after I hung it up), but old-style grouping with 6 human players is kind of dead these days, so those old skills aren't called upon like they used to be.

My personal best was grouping with a bunch of guildmates in... Chardok? I can't quite remember, but I was about level 55 or so and this was even before Planes of Power. My exp group of guildmates had a very bad pull on a narrow, winding ledge somewhere. The party druid wanted to evac, but I told her that I could handle it. Long story short, at one point I had 6 sarnaks or whatever the gently caress they are locked down for the better part of 12 to 15 minutes. This is back in 2002 or so when CC was vital and using an 18-second bard mez with no extended targeting window, though it was mana-free. I was so tired after that fight ended that I had to take an AFK to rest my hands, but the RL married couple that I was grouping with actually put a thread on our guild forum saying how impressed they were with my CC abilities.

All of these "classic" EQ memories are great, but at the same time it does highlight a lot of the horrible design decisions in EQ that existed for so long. What bothered me the most was not that they were bad ideas, but that then Verant and now Sony took sometimes bloody years to address them. I remember, in early~ish PoP, when they had a big patch and released an e-mail saying that Complete Healing and clerics were too important to the game and they added huge, slow-to-cast heals to shaman and druids. Great idea, but the over-importance of that class and that one spell had been the case for several years prior to that, yet only after all of that time did they twig to it. That is the kind of thing that bothers me: it's not making mistakes (fair enough, we all do) that gets on my tits, but taking ages to fix them, or never fixing them at all (level loss from death, dear God how I hate you).

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe

Devor posted:

Hate's Attraction + Feign Death makes the SK probably the best puller, but the Bard's Pacify and Fading Memories are also really good for certain situations.

If you parse yourself with bard buffs, you'll see the difference they make, but hell I'd take them for the AC buffs alone.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

cycomatix posted:

Hate's Attraction + Feign Death makes the SK probably the best puller

My SK is 80 and I doubt that he will ever be higher (my God does EQ spike in terms of gear requirements and difficulty 80+), but I have to admit that I don't really know how to play him that well even though he is in full 80 kit, 2.0 (and 1.0, because it just looks fantastic), and max CS/CA and HP AA for his level. I'm guess that HA is something post-80 or I would have it by now.

My SK has 522 AA (Silver cap is 1000), but I think that I might post what he was on this thread. He and my bard (and mercs) are helping to PL my 62 wizard, but they are getting a fair few AA in the process. Right now I am upgrading Mortal Coil, but I want to get an idea of what specific AA I need to earn in order for this bugger to be able to swarm properly. I will probably die a hundred times trying to do it properly, but since this character is pretty much as end-game as he will ever get, there isn't that much else I can do with him.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Arg, now I'm conflicted between bard and ranger. Is bard pick lock relevant past Old-World EQ? It was nice being able to get into all of Old Sebilis.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

cycomatix posted:

...the Bard's Pacify and Fading Memories are also really good for certain situations.

Don't you dare forget Boastful Bellow and the incredible running speeds!

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
So how fun are necromancers in this game these days? I have the odd desire to be an undead spellcaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
There are tons of things bards can do for pulling. The Single target pushback AA skill followed by a fade is great at splitting things, as is a mez followed by a fade. Charmed mobs don't get agro after the initial cast unless they attack something, and fade makes bards invis without breaking charm. Or use the ribbon of empathy to summon the charmed pet. Mezzing something next to your target to pull it with assist agro works wonders as long as you fade off agro before mez breaks. Snaring and kiting things away followed by a fade works for large groups.

Edit: only pickable locks I've seen past the really old expansions were on the loot chests for VoA raids.