Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Inzombiac posted:

So I need a present for a friend who just moved out into the country.
I remember seeing an axe, sledgehammer, prybar combo crazy tool that wasn't too expensive. Anyone have an idea of what I'm thinking of?

The stanley FuBar?

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=Xtreme&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=55-099

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Geoj posted:

You could try the one The Bunk suggested (although some of the reviews say the suction cup will leave a permanent mark on your dash) or get a purpose-built mount for your phone with the stick-on plastic disc and attach it somewhere on the face of your dashboard - like between the stereo and steering column. Out of line-of-sight with the windshield but easily within a quick glance over.

I really doubt they'd try to write you a ticket for having a phone where a "GPS" is permitted, unless they catch you in the act of texting while the phone is in its mount.

Or one of the before linked mounts with something like this. I've used it with a seidio mount before, as well as the mount for the Evo3D sold in Sprint stores and it held up fine.

http://www.amazon.com/NAVGEAR-14021-Universal-Dash-Mount/dp/B001EPX7N2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1355713293&sr=8-5&keywords=dashboard+bean+bag

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I know like half this thread pertains to headphones already, but my dad was going to spend the money on these and I told him there's probably better out there for cheaper. He wants to use them for traveling mainly, like listening to music and movies, on the airplane and in Africa and at home. He is insistent it must have some fancy noise cancellation. He also requires over-the-ear and wants an audio jack versus USB. The budget is $250ish. Thanks!

dalaamprince
Jul 16, 2008
I tried those Bose headphones at PAX East and decided I would buy them when I'm rich. Didn't know noise cancellation could work that well. Anyway the AudioTechnica M50s don't have noise canceling tech but they're comfy, over the ear headphones I recommend to everyone because of their price and quality.

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

Droid Washington posted:

I know like half this thread pertains to headphones already, but my dad was going to spend the money on these and I told him there's probably better out there for cheaper. He wants to use them for traveling mainly, like listening to music and movies, on the airplane and in Africa and at home. He is insistent it must have some fancy noise cancellation. He also requires over-the-ear and wants an audio jack versus USB. The budget is $250ish. Thanks!

Would be hard pressed to find something more perfect than these.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GoodCleanFun posted:

Would be hard pressed to find something more perfect than these.

But those aren't noise canceling. I have those Bose and its amazing how they cut out the drone. I'll wear them on planes even with my music off.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have the Bose QC3 and the Etymotic ER4P earphones. The Etymotics block out sound much better but the Bose are about a billion times more comfortable to wear.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all the input. I am going to go with the Bose after all.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I am the slowest of slow repliers :sigh:.

GonadtheBallbarian, yeah, that looks like it'd be hell on the backs of my legs, but those are really nice carts nonetheless! I will be keeping them in mind for when I construct my raised garden within the next month or so; if I have a portable garden, I can move it out of the way when maintenance comes by, and they won't be trampling it. Thank you so much for showing me this!

Kidney Stone, yeah, I'd been looking at rollators for a while off and on, and the combination of your suggestion and doing a ton of walking for local shop-and-stroll events where seating was nonexistent has finally pushed me into buying one. I'm not sure if I'll be able to reach the ground yet, I haven't tried, but hopefully it works. Thank you very much for the suggestion!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Bunk posted:

I recommended this to someone else in this thread. Mine hasn't budged from my dash since I mounted it and the quick release works great.

If anyone is still interested in one of these (universal smartphone car mount), Newegg has them on sale for $15 with free shipping with promo code EMCJHHN84 (good through 12/26.)

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Can anyone recommend me a heavy but relatively thin blanket to use during the winter? I'm just looking for something to throw on top of my regular thin comforter, and I can't stand the big, poofy, noisy comforters -- which is about the only thing they sell at department stores.

I've been looking for something for years. I finally thought I found what I wanted on amazon, military style wool blankets, but most of them have poor reviews saying they smell terrible and shed fuzz everywhere.

Baldbeard has a new favorite as of 02:57 on Dec 21, 2012

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I have a really specific need, so I dont really expect a reply, but who knows. My work requires me to have a visible ID card at all times and it has to either be on a neck lanyard or belt pull cord because its also my access card so I have to be able to pull it in front of keypads.

Problem is I really hate how it either bangs against my stomach or leg (I've tried both the lanyard and belt clip) as I walk. Gets really irritating pretty quick. Is there such a thing that would basically hold it in place against fabric (or a clip) but still detach easily when I need to scan it so I don't have to bend over or side hump the reader?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

jojoinnit posted:

I have a really specific need, so I dont really expect a reply, but who knows. My work requires me to have a visible ID card at all times and it has to either be on a neck lanyard or belt pull cord because its also my access card so I have to be able to pull it in front of keypads.

Problem is I really hate how it either bangs against my stomach or leg (I've tried both the lanyard and belt clip) as I walk. Gets really irritating pretty quick. Is there such a thing that would basically hold it in place against fabric (or a clip) but still detach easily when I need to scan it so I don't have to bend over or side hump the reader?

Could you clip a belt ID reel to your shirt pocket?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Geoj posted:

Could you clip a belt ID reel to your shirt pocket?

My shirts don't have pockets though. :britain:

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Baldbeard posted:

Can anyone recommend me a heavy but relatively thin blanket to use during the winter? I'm just looking for something to throw on top of my regular thin comforter, and I can't stand the big, poofy, noisy comforters -- which is about the only thing they sell at department stores.

I've been looking for something for years. I finally thought I found what I wanted on amazon, military style wool blankets, but most of them have poor reviews saying they smell terrible and shed fuzz everywhere.

I'm pretty sure what you want is a quilt.

e: Could anyone recommend a good every-day pocketknife?

Cornuto has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Dec 21, 2012

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Cornuto posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417183

KoB
May 1, 2009
Robes?

Im a tall fat guy and Im looking for something that's good for putting on after showering but also kinda nice.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Baldbeard posted:

Sounds like you want a good wool "duvet" inner. I use the word duvet as you will need to get it from probably NZ or the UK. I think you would know them as a comforter. They arn't poofy, and feel quite heavy.

An example is here http://www.shopnewzealand.co.nz/en/cp/Fairydown_Double_Duvet. Downside is that it will likely be expensive compared to local stuff.

They don't seem to list the above one anymore, but the manufacturer's website is http://fairydownnz.co.nz/Duvet/Wool/Blissfil-Winter-Weight-Wool-Duvet.asp

I have the 600gsm one, but its split into a 200gsm and 400gsm duvet, that you can snap together for the winter weight rating, and end up with 3 different duvets/comforters (ie 200gsm for summer, 400gsm for autumn, 600gsm for winter).

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Wibbleman posted:

Sounds like you want a good wool "duvet" inner.

Any Scandinavian will tell you you'd need a duvet for keeping warm in winter. Those yank blankets just aren't going to cut it.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Thanks for all of the blanket responses guys. I have a duvet but it is useless and basically just air. I will look into getting a wool inside. I didn't realize there was so much variety. Whenever I cruise down the bedding section and check out pillows and blankets, it seems like everything is basically a cloud in a bag.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

jojoinnit posted:

Can you connect it to your belt on the side of your hip? May mitigate some slappage against your thigh.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Looking for a nice flask, willing to spend up to $30, preferably at least 8 ounces?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Iucounu posted:

Can you connect it to your belt on the side of your hip? May mitigate some slappage against your thigh.

It has to be front visible. I guess there's really nothing.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

jojoinnit posted:

It has to be front visible. I guess there's really nothing.

You could try putting some velcro on the beltclip and on the cardholder, and stick them together that way. Can't think of anything else.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Cornuto posted:

You should get one of those:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000687B4O

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Looking for a nice flask, willing to spend up to $30, preferably at least 8 ounces?

Hip, thermal, or other?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

An 8oz flask is definitely a hip flask. I'd like to know of a quality one too. Everything I see is the crappy kind on Amazon that sells for like $4. I think a bunch of companies use the same one and rebrand it.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Mu Zeta posted:

An 8oz flask is definitely a hip flask. I'd like to know of a quality one too. Everything I see is the crappy kind on Amazon that sells for like $4. I think a bunch of companies use the same one and rebrand it.

Honestly, how quality do you need a flask to be? I've used the generic coleman flask for years and its still kicking. http://www.coleman.com/Product/2000006877?gclid=CLGE7ZPHtLQCFUeRPAodB3gA3Q#.UNkVpo7pbnM

I have dropped it off a boat, sealed, and found it 109 feet underwater with booze still good. It fell out while rock crawling and a jeep with 42 inch tires ran it over and it didn't break. They are nothing special, but they are a solid metal flask that will keep on kicking.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
I've also heard good things about the Sigg flasks; I'd have been looking for a Canadian distributor if I hadn't found a reasonable stainless steel unbranded alternative recently. Search for 'oval' on their site to find the hip flasks.

http://www.mysigg.com/

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

Cornuto posted:

Kershaw scallion is a nice inexpensive knife.

e; Could someone recommend me a cool wine bottle opener/corscrew thing that 30$ or less?

MAJOR STRYkER has a new favorite as of 09:52 on Dec 25, 2012

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

Could someone recommend me a cool wine bottle opener/corscrew thing that 30$ or less?

There are a lot of different types of bottle openers but the one I like best is a basic waiters corkscrew. They are inexpensive, compact, fast and easy to use. Here's the one that I use and recommend (not my blog):

http://fredfoodie.com/2012/08/28/screwpull-waiters-corkscrew/

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

Kershaw scallion is a nice inexpensive knife.

e; Could someone recommend me a cool wine bottle opener/corscrew thing that 30$ or less?
I bought this after doing some homework.

Atomic Hotdog
Aug 23, 2007
I've never seen such confident, powerful strokes of the ass!

Mu Zeta posted:

Stanley Flasks are pretty classic and look pretty awesome compared to your average stainless steel flask.
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Class...1RY?afsrc=fstfx

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

Devonaut posted:

There are a lot of different types of bottle openers but the one I like best is a basic waiters corkscrew. They are inexpensive, compact, fast and easy to use. Here's the one that I use and recommend (not my blog):

http://fredfoodie.com/2012/08/28/screwpull-waiters-corkscrew/

Dominoes posted:

I bought this after doing some homework.

Thanks guys, but I was thinking more along the lines of a gift. Like something more novelty than a generic $5 wine opener (but still works well).

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

Thanks guys, but I was thinking more along the lines of a gift. Like something more novelty than a generic $5 wine opener (but still works well).

An electric wine opener might be just the novelty you need. I've got this one and it works well http://www.amazon.com/Oster-FPSTBW8...ric+wine+opener . Got it as a gift so I didn't really research it at all.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I too have that bottle opener and its pretty awesome.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

What's a good brand of waterproof winter shoe? I'm visiting in Portland, Oregon, and one of my Christmas presents is to be a pair of shoes that will keep my feet warm and dry in this rainy hipster place. ~$100 would be nice, but I'm not sure of the normal price range. Going to REI today or tomorrow.

Fishhook
Jul 15, 2004

The specter of me reflected

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

For just corks, this type is nice
http://www.amazon.com/MIU-France-Connoisseur-Corkscrew-Opener/dp/B0006ABVK2/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1356540545&sr=8-11&keywords=wine+opener

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My dad's looking for a cheap, good vacuum, ideally something right around or under $100. Anyone know of the best one for that price range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

My dad's looking for a cheap, good vacuum, ideally something right around or under $100. Anyone know of the best one for that price range?

I got a refurbished Shark windtunnel vacuum for about $40. Its nowhere near the build quality of a dyson but it sucks like nobodies business.

• Locked thread