Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just wanted to come back and thank you guys a LOT for your help. I really think you've made it 20x better with your criticism, and the Tech Support guys got me to shrink my files way down. Wish me luck :):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!
Let's Play Blades of Time

It all began with the Super Meat Boy race thread

I was gifted this game anonymously based on my rather atrocious performance in the bonus races of that thread, so naturally my only option is to LP it!

What is Blades of Time?

Blades of Time is the Spiritual successor to X-Blades, an anime styled game made by Russians which no one played. Blades of Time ditches the anime aesthetic in favor of an admittedly unique take on time manipulation. The game generally received poor to average reviews, which, in spite of a few bright spots, is definitely earned.

Do not post spoilers, yes this game's plot is very stupid, but do not spoil it

Contents

1. Talking to nobody

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Iron Chitlin posted:

Let's Play Blades of Time

Looks good to me. The LP, not the game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Suggestion: Don't talk over the dialogue. :v:

But seriously, the video's fine. Banter's a bit sparse at places, but it's better than talking too much, like this game's heroine. I'm looking forward to more of this, if only to continue watching the heroine constantly spout exposition to herself like some sort of crazy person.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Hmmm, I saw that Youtube nows allows you to adjust the start and end time of playlist items. I'm thinking that this could be useful for gapless playback of LP's. Any opinions or thoughts on this feature? Or would it probably not be relevant since I don't think anyone here posts playlists anyway.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Don't think many people will care. Don't see the point in it myself.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Most people wouldn't benefit from using this functionality, I would imagine. If you think it's useful, well, use it, but there can be no across-the-board recommendation.

Faithiest
Mar 27, 2010

Black Mesa is a recreation of Half Life using the Source engine. After 8! years in development it is finally out. Every level has been completely remade up to the Xen Chapters. Its completely free without any Valve products. Black Mesa is great and if you are a fan of the original or wanting see what Half Life is all about this remake comes highly recommended.

This is a one off video with commentary for the Lets Fail thread, in it I will be playing through Questionable Ethics on hard difficulty. This is the 11th of the 14 chapters in Black Mesa, so beware if you want to experience it for yourself. The video is available in 1080p.

Black Mesa:Questionable Ethics youtube

To play the full game yourself all you need are Steam, Source SDK found free on Steam, and the mod download found here: Black Mesa Official Site

Any feedback on the video is welcome. Thanks for reading.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I assume you meant to post it in the Let's Fail thread, then?

Faithiest
Mar 27, 2010

Just a test post for the Lets Fail thread, I may not be any good at this.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Honestly, unless the video's just plain unwatchable I don't see any issue with throwing it straight to the Let's Try/Fail thread. It is kind of weird to show off part of the endgame as a Let's Try though. If you have to warn people about spoilers in the thread it kind of misses the point.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Since the whole point of the thread is a fresh, blind look, asking for feedback is kinda pointless. Unless the video is complete poo poo, just post it in the thread.

e: Beaten like a redheaded stepchild.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Insert James Bond Pun Here: Let's Play Everything or Nothing!

What's with this game?

The year was 2004. Call of Duty had yet to realise that more wars happened since the early 20th century; Epic Games were still picking out the right shades of brown and grey for Gears of War; and James Bond fans were still licking the wounds of Die Another Day from little over a year previous. EA, in an odd stroke of genius, decided to forgo the idea of making the next interactive Bond adventure another first-person shooter, instead opting to develop Everything or Nothing as a third-person action game, featuring more varied hand-to-hand combat, driving sequences powered by the Need for Speed engine, various open levels that would reward alternate methods of dispatching (or avoiding) enemies, and cover-based shooting that was ahead of its time. It's the best James Bond game that has been made to date, and as Pierce Brosnan's final performance as James Bond, serves as a much better sendoff than Die Another Day.

What's with this LP?

I'll be playing each mission in the game on the standard difficulty, "Agent". In each level, I'll endeavour to play relatively stealthily; there's plenty of shooting throughout the course of the game, and I want to show the alternate ways of progressing, should they come up. I'll also aim to earn as many of the "Bond Moments" as I can, however I don't expect to get all of them, as my memory tells me some of them are ridiculously annoying.

What about platinum ranks for the levels?

Hah. Good one.

The Videos

Update 1: Stronger Than A Fighter Jet - YouTube

Bitter_one13
Jan 2, 2012

God damn, you're worse than useless; you're actually harmful!

frozentreasure posted:

Insert James Bond Pun Here: Let's Play Everything or Nothing!

What's with this game?

The year was 2004. Call of Duty had yet to realise that more wars happened since the early 20th century; Epic Games were still picking out the right shades of brown and grey for Gears of War; and James Bond fans were still licking the wounds of Die Another Day from little over a year previous. EA, in an odd stroke of genius, decided to forgo the idea of making the next interactive Bond adventure another first-person shooter, instead opting to develop Everything or Nothing as a third-person action game, featuring more varied hand-to-hand combat, driving sequences powered by the Need for Speed engine, various open levels that would reward alternate methods of dispatching (or avoiding) enemies, and cover-based shooting that was ahead of its time. It's the best James Bond game that has been made to date, and as Pierce Brosnan's final performance as James Bond, serves as a much better sendoff than Die Another Day.

What's with this LP?

I'll be playing each mission in the game on the standard difficulty, "Agent". In each level, I'll endeavour to play relatively stealthily; there's plenty of shooting throughout the course of the game, and I want to show the alternate ways of progressing, should they come up. I'll also aim to earn as many of the "Bond Moments" as I can, however I don't expect to get all of them, as my memory tells me some of them are ridiculously annoying.

Hah. Good one.

The Videos

This seems decently watchable, just a couple notes. I'd suggest amping up your voice level after the second cinematic, and also taking it a little slower when commenting about things. I know that's a little hard to do in post, but what I do is (if I'm planning to do post-commentary by myself) record my talking during the game, then when running through in post, just repeat notes from the live copy but not sound like an idiot.

Edit: Slight nit-pick, Gears of War didn't come out until about 2006 and only one Call of Duty game came out before Everything or Nothing. And calling it better than Goldeneye is sure to ruffle some feathers, so I hope you already have your points ready for that argument.

Bitter_one13 fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 26, 2012

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I was wondering about the audio levels; thanks for letting me know (When you say "second cinematic", do you mean the one that ends with M telling Bond to pick up the briefcase?). And talking while I played is what I actually did; I've been told before that I sometimes speak a little fast. Was it anything specific, or just in general? Because the only point that I felt a little rushed was in the post-level summary screen.

I'll edit the note about Call of Duty, though my point about Gears of War was that it was still in development and had yet to make third-person shooters "a thing".

And I'm definitely being hyperbolic about it being the best Bond game; I'm assuming people will be able to respect personal opinion and that I'm not trying to force mine on them.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

frozentreasure posted:

I was wondering about the audio levels; thanks for letting me know (When you say "second cinematic", do you mean the one that ends with M telling Bond to pick up the briefcase?). And talking while I played is what I actually did; I've been told before that I sometimes speak a little fast. Was it anything specific, or just in general? Because the only point that I felt a little rushed was in the post-level summary screen.

I'll edit the note about Call of Duty, though my point about Gears of War was that it was still in development and had yet to make third-person shooters "a thing".

And I'm definitely being hyperbolic about it being the best Bond game; I'm assuming people will be able to respect personal opinion and that I'm not trying to force mine on them.

Silly thing, but put an image in your OP, even if just your test post here. It's a good callout to let people reading the Sandcastle know you've got a test post you'd like feedback on.

Bitter_one13
Jan 2, 2012

frozentreasure posted:

Sorry, after the cinematic with the intro sequence and the music. Rushing in the post-level summary screen sounds about right, as well.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
Is there any interest in an LP review series?

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Yes please cybershell

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

Cybershell posted:

I will dislike every single one of these videos.

Also, I subscribed to you just so I could unsubscribe :)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
It's begging for an E/N pun.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Cybershell posted:

It's like I'm taking a shower with Trin Tragula!

I laughed so hard. Your Let's P vids never fail to humor me.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

slowbeef posted:

Silly thing, but put an image in your OP, even if just your test post here. It's a good callout to let people reading the Sandcastle know you've got a test post you'd like feedback on.

Is it okay to just grab something off of Google Images, or will I need to make sure it's hosted somewhere?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

frozentreasure posted:

Is it okay to just grab something off of Google Images, or will I need to make sure it's hosted somewhere?

Always rehost. You can use lpix, imgur, or your own hosting, but don't image leech.

Bitter_one13
Jan 2, 2012

Cybershell posted:

If you can keep up the gag, absolutely.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
(Changed the note about Call of Duty, added a title image and upped the commentary audio by 2 decibels. If the commentary still seems too fast, I'll re-record it.)

Begging for an E/N pun: Let's Play 007: Everything or Nothing!

What's with this game?

The year was 2004. Call of Duty had yet to reach critical mass; Epic Games were still picking out the right shades of brown and grey for Gears of War; and James Bond fans were still licking the wounds of Die Another Day from little over a year previous. EA, in an odd stroke of genius, decided to forgo the idea of making the next interactive Bond adventure another first-person shooter, instead opting to develop Everything or Nothing as a third-person action game, featuring more varied hand-to-hand combat, driving sequences powered by the Need for Speed engine, various open levels that would reward alternate methods of dispatching (or avoiding) enemies, and cover-based shooting that was ahead of its time. It's the best James Bond game that has been made to date, and as Pierce Brosnan's final performance as James Bond, serves as a much better sendoff than Die Another Day.

What's with this LP?

I'll be playing each mission in the game on the standard difficulty, "Agent", with the exception of the first level, which the game automatically sets to the easiest difficulty, "Operative", to make it basically impossible to lose. In each level, I'll endeavour to play relatively stealthily; there's plenty of shooting throughout the course of the game, and I want to show the alternate ways of progressing, should they come up. I'll also aim to earn as many of the "Bond Moments" as I can, however I don't expect to get all of them, as my memory tells me some of them are ridiculously annoying.

Hah. Good one.

The Videos

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

frozentreasure posted:

Begging for an E/N pun: Let's Play 007: Everything or Nothing!

I think it's pretty good, commentary could stand to be a touch or two higher still, but it's nothing dire. For what it's worth I'm looking forward to seeing EoN again after all these years, it was a fun little game.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I was very uniform with putting the game audio down; I might play with that on a per-line basis for the next video. And I forgot to turn the gain up, so I recorded a little quieter than I should have to begin with.

But apart from that, I should be good to go?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

frozentreasure posted:

I was very uniform with putting the game audio down; I might play with that on a per-line basis for the next video. And I forgot to turn the gain up, so I recorded a little quieter than I should have to begin with.

But apart from that, I should be good to go?
Use autoducking instead of just turning the game volume down; it's a lot cleaner in my opinion and you'll still be able to hear the game audio. Otherwise, yea, I'd say the video is good to go.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Okay, thread's live. Added some stuff regarding spoilers and the multiplayer mode to the OP.

Thanks for the help, peoples!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Yep, that's right everyone, and I present to you all have yet ANOTHER LP of one of the the most famous (and controversial) RPG's of all time, right here!

(stuff that got edited a bunch of times)

Yeah. That's right, I'm LPing that, and not only that, but I'm going to be 100%ing it using RTA speed run strategies to completely DEMOLISH almost every battle in this game! What do I mean by that? Well, there are two fairly prominent sources that I've have gathered all of my strategies from, Puwexil and LetRangerStranger (otherwise known as "Pingval" on TwitchTV). You can find their videos here...

LetRangerStranger (Youtube): http://www.youtube.com/user/letrangerstranger

LetRangerStranger (Twitch): http://www.twitch.tv/pingval/videos?kind=past_broadcasts

Puwexil: http://www.twitch.tv/puwexil/videos?kind=past_broadcasts

But anyways, let me give you a brief introduction to this game. Now, why is it so important? Why is it so famous? Well, it was not a perfect game, first and foremost. The character models are blocky, the story, although amazing once you've wrapped your mind around it, is complex and confusing, the translation was very unpolished (though not necessarily BAD persay), and, perhaps worst of all, it had severe balancing issues, including, but not limited to, easy access to items that would reduce all damage by 30% with essentially no drawbacks, bugged stats that would make certain pieces of equipment worthless, and very little character deviation, meaning that there was almost no obvious reason to not just use the same three characters all throughout the game...(unless of course, you've studied this game as much as I have, which I'll get into later).

In spite of all of these flaws however, it was, and still is, an amazing game with a great story that's made all the better by extremely sharp narrative techniques that have STILL not been challenged by many, even RECENT, RPG's that I know of, an incredible musical score composed by longtime veteran Nobuo Uematsu, incredibly detailed and beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds (although there are times where it clashes rather harshly with the character models themselves...), and a very fun battle system due to the Materia system, which was simple enough to grasp, and yet complicated enough for one to have a swell time experimenting with different combinations against, say, this game's superbosses (which I will be fighting near the end of this LP). It is because of these qualities that I can say that the game is well worth at least a rental for anyone who's curious.

So, what can you expect out of this LP? Well, this is actually going to be a video LP, and here is what I intend to do...

1) Beat this game 100% (which I define as "all optional characters, all optional bosses killed, and all Level 4 Limit Break items collected").

2) To try to upload a video every 2-4 days (but not if I think the commentary is bad).

3) To have great sound and visual quality.

4) To talk to every NPC unless you guys don't want me to.

And most importantly of all...

5) To keep you guys entertained with my commentary (though I may need your suggestions and criticism with this one).

Now, although I have started up a few other LP's in the past, I have never any of them, for one reason or the other, and so, I'm not as experienced as other LPers like, say, HCBailly, Slowflake, or other such LPers, and so, I would like to ask you all this...

Please, Please, PLEASE, do not hesitate to give advice and criticism!!. My wish with these LP's is to put my video gaming knowledge and my own OCD to use by putting on a show of good gaming along with good commentary, so if I'm doing something to annoy you or put you off (whether that be bad commentary, or annoying delivery of said commentary, sloppy playing, bad editing, or what have you), let me know! I promise you that as long as the advice is not blatantly hateful or anything like that, that I won't be offended!

Anyways, that out of the way, here are the three videos I have already uploaded! The second video has audio issues up until around the 7:54 mark (mainly due to desync problems with what I'm using to record these), but other than that, there are no issues with any of these videos as far as as video and audio go. Enjoy!

Disc 1

Episode 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHXaZWxF0ss

Episode 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAu-7raEY1I

Episode 3: https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 27, 2012

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I have to go to bed soon, so I don't have time to watch the video. That said, image leeching is against the rules, using imgur or Lpix. Also use [img], not [image] to embed images.

A video LP of a turn-based JRPG, is also almost always a terrible idea, and from what little I watched of the video (I lied) this doesn't seem to be an exception.

e: Is your speedrun tactic running from every non-boss fight? If so, video is an even worse idea.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
I see. So, if I still want to use that image, what should I do? And what flaws do you see in this video that make it a bad idea?

edit: And yeah, I'm running from (almost) all non-boss fights. And I can always edit those out if you wish.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 27, 2012

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Fionordequester posted:

I see. So, if I still want to use that image, what should I do? And what flaws do you see in this video that make it a bad idea?

Upload it to imgur or Lpix, then embed it in [img] tags like so (I actually used [timg] tags to make it smaller.)

JRPG's are just generally a bad fit for video. Watching every random battle, and watching someone explore every nook and cranny of a dungeon can get pretty tedious, there's a reason most JRPG Lp's here use screenshots (so that they can cut the bulk of that stuff and focus on the essentials). It's nothing specific to the video itself, it's just a JRPG thing.

It could work with heavy editing, but it's generally accepted around here that JRPG Video Lps are pretty much verboten.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Well, what if I edited out the battles, or made screenshots and text entries using commentary from the video? There would be both a screenshot version AND a video version according to my idea.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Fionordequester posted:

Well, what if I edited out the battles, or made screenshots and text entries using commentary from the video? There would be both a screenshot version AND a video version according to my idea.

This would be a better idea, although I'm not sure how many people would watch the video. Still, it's not like more options really hurt. If you're actually flexible enough to do a SSLP too (I had you pegged as an LP superstar type, if I'm being honest), I'd consider looking at some of the previous FF LPs on the archive to see how they're usually done. Here's a good example: http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-IV/Update%2001/

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

I have to go to bed soon, so I don't have time to watch the video.

You should really watch the videos, if only for a couple minutes. He reads some of the dialogue out loud with goofy voices, it's really funny. AAA, five stars, would watch again. Liked. Subscribed.

Edit: Who are "HCBailly" and "Snowflake"?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Well, to be perfectly honest, I DO always wish for more viewers and readers, but only if I'm actually GOOD at what I do. After all, what's the point in going out of your way to do something...if nobody's enjoying it, right? It'd be like writing a novel only to never get it published.

But I'm not doing this for something stupid like fame and fortune or the like. If I wanted that, I wouldn't be doing Let's Plays. And yes, I WOULD be willing to make this a screen shot LP as well. And the way I figure it, the video won't be wasted, because 1), I'm sure there will be at least SOME people who prefer the video, and 2) there's always the fact that I'm getting people on Youtube following my LP as well as you guys here.

quote:

You should really watch the videos, if only for a couple minutes. He reads some of the dialogue out loud with goofy voices, it's really funny. AAA, five stars, would watch again. Liked. Subscribed.

...I only do that for a brief segment in Episode 2 though. Other than that, I don't remember doing that, as I usually find it terribly annoying when other LPers do that.

quote:

Edit: Who are "HCBailly" and "Snowflake"?

They are fairly popular Let's Players on Youtube. Slowflake mainly specializes in Pokemon games, while HCBailly plays mainly RPG's, usually old classics from the past (with a few exceptions). Their channels are here...

Slowflake: http://www.youtube.com/user/slowflake

Hcbailly: http://www.youtube.com/user/HCBailly

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 27, 2012

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Fionordequester posted:

Well, to be perfectly honest, I DO always wish for more viewers and readers, but only if I'm actually GOOD at what I do. After all, what's the point in going out of your way to do something...if nobody's enjoying it, right? It'd be like writing a novel only to never get it published.

Hard work is it's own reward.

Edit: What good is EFFORT if nobody ever ACKNOWLEDGES ME???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

quote:

Hard work is it's own reward.

Edit: What good is EFFORT if nobody ever ACKNOWLEDGES ME???

Well, is that unreasonable? Video editing and the like is hard work, so if there's nobody who enjoys it, then why go through the hassle? I'm not asking to be a superstar or anything, but, I do wish to entertain.

EDIT: I mean, what good would it have done George Lucas if he had completed the screenplays of Star Wars Episodes IV-VI as well as the Indiana Jones movie...and then never released them in theaters, and just locked them up in a vault somewhere?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 27, 2012

• Locked thread