Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

SeanBeansShako posted:

Felt a little flat honestly.

Bit with Super Hans and his place was gold though.

Quite a few snakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Aaaaaand tranny jokes in Peep Show too. Fucksake. :smithicide:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

TinTower posted:

I wouldn't say that was a joke. It definitely wasn't negative on transexuals, anyway.

And yea I didn't really like that last episode. Real downer ending in a pretty boring way and SuperHans having all those snakes just felt sort of stupid. Other stuff in the series at least seems to come from a realistic place but that felt like the Mr Lizard sketch in Jam!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
edit - Actually, no.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

TinTower posted:

Yeah it seems christmas brings out all the transphobic stuff.
It really appears in such stark contrast as you seem to get a lot less overt gay jokes now (or I watch very little tv and miss them all) but still jokes about trans people.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
That joke you're talking about in Peep Show wasn't a joke aimed at trans people.

I thought the episode was great, personally. Mark on the footy pitch (that was too hard!), and the electric fence bits were hilarious.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Can someone remind me of the offending joke? It wasn't a very memorable episode...I'm having trouble recalling what happened/any good one-liners.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It was only a page or so ago that TinTower said they were trans themselves, they've probably got a better grip than most on whether or not that joke was offensive and it's pretty gross to deny that.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Al2001 posted:

Can someone remind me of the offending joke? It wasn't a very memorable episode...I'm having trouble recalling what happened/any good one-liners.

I haven't seen the episode so all these vague allusions to the joke are ticking me off. Just say what the loving joke is. :argh:

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax

josh04 posted:

It was only a page or so ago that TinTower said they were trans themselves, they've probably got a better grip than most on whether or not that joke was offensive and it's pretty gross to deny that.

It's possible to be both trans and wrong about stuff. Merry Christmas!

jfjnpxmy fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 25, 2012

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

A downer ending, but Jez and Mark completely deserve that. I loved the pathetic hostilities between them though.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

jfjnpxmy posted:

It's possible to be both trans and wrong about stuff. Merry Christmas!

That's good to know, now gently caress off.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Gorn Myson posted:

A downer ending, but Jez and Mark completely deserve that. I loved the pathetic hostilities between them though.

I sort of hoped it was going to end with Mark having the poo poo kicked out of him by somebody and beat him down a notch to humble again.

The bit with the Football was hilariously awful.

Also gently caress you Mc Beardy and your creepy advertisement for your perfume.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Al2001 posted:

It was a throwaway line. At the club, Dobby went over to talk to her female friends, then came back to talk to Mark.

Dobby: "Big news! Such-and-such is a transexual, she's started on hormones and is getting the op."

Mark: "What? Really?"

Dobby: "Of course not! The news is <stuff about job>"

I'm probably more sensitive to trans issues than most people; I thought the line was mildly disappointing but not really a big deal.

Overall it seems like I liked the episode more than most people here -- the nasty overt tension on the train between Mark and Jez was highly satisfying.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

h_double posted:

It was a throwaway line. At the club, Dobby went over to talk to her female friends, then came back to talk to Mark.

Dobby: "Big news! Such-and-such is a transexual, she's started on hormones and is getting the op."

Mark: "What? Really?"

Dobby: "Of course not! The news is <stuff about job>"

Yea, to me it was just "She has surprising news! Actually no it is different surprising news". Instead of "she has disgusting news!". How is it anti transexual to imply that it's suprising news?
Especially to Mark, the middle of the road Tory.

All I can see when Simon is in it is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51aHb_U8Zr0

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Him And Her Christmas special, Laura literally almost crushes the dreams of a young child just ten minutes in.

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

I was thinking that Peep Show would end with one of them killing the other, which is pretty much the only possible ending I can see to the show.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Poor series of Peep Show overall for me. The Paintball episode was great, but the rest was a bit flat. There were some good jokes in every episode, but nothing compared to recent series.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I enjoyed it. I especially liked Jez pointing out that Mark is basically dating a female version of himself.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
As an official trans person(c) I would say that joke is mild as all hell and if that's the worst we get I will be very happy indeed, somebody transitioning would indeed be surprising, thank you and merry christmas this has been your trans joke advisory.

Also TinTower, one trans person to another, stop saying "tranny" jesus christ.

Edit: More coherence because I can see this being read the wrong way: not every joke that mentions trans people is transphobic, just as we know that not every joke that mentions gay people is homophobic, and so on. I guess there's an argument for "the op" being factually incorrect in statistical and medical terms, but it's certainly not anything to whip out the :smith: about.

Noreaus fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 25, 2012

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

To be honest, I'm more annoyed it's a common source of comedy than the joke itself. Yeah, it was a mild joke, but death by a thousand cuts, I guess?

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
No, not really. I think that once you get to a certain level of it just being a passing mention, it stops being death by a thousand cuts and starts being you feeling uncomfortable of anything to do with it being mentioned in the context of comedy.

I never thought I'd be on this side of this argument, but consider the various things that have been mentioned in Peep Show in the past...if it were being cruel, that's another matter, but the joke is that it's a surprisingly thing. I don't think I would disagree that yeah, just blurting out that somebody is transitioning would be hella surprising.

The reason I'm keen to comment on this is that I'm writing a comedy screenplay at the moment (for the BBC transgender scriptwriting award that got posted in this thread earlier) and it does in fact have a trans character. There are passing jokes related to this, and I'm being very careful to avoid the usual tropes - Having studied them in the past, and argued against them. This doesn't change the fact that it is being seen in the context of comedy, and I'm very aware that in some views this in and of itself is entirely unacceptable. Of course, I think that there is a place for humour to do with it.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

It's not a transphobic joke, it's a joke about transphobics - Dobby knows exactly what will needle Mark's interest.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Going off the Trans chat (oh it always derails) for a bit.

I think the thing that marred this series for me was the fact that I just don't see any sort of chemistry between Dobby and Mark. I could see it when she was first introduced, but I just don't get why Dobby would stick with such a sad sack like Mark.

I wonder if she'll be in the next series, or if they'll 'reset' to Mark and Jez living together again, and Dobby conveniently relocated to NYC. Much as I like Isy Suttie and Dobby as a character, I think the plot line dragged this series down.

That episode should have been funny - when I think back on it there were some great bits - the electric fence, the train, Mark playing football, Jez looking for a ring in the pie - but it didn't make me laugh out loud at all. Maybe I should watch this series again with revised expectations.

Friday Night Dinner, on the other hand, was very funny. Hanukkah bush!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I think someone mentioned earlier than Dobbie clearly has problems of her own that she's not really dealing with and being with Mark is basically the easiest thing she can do. She's probably in her thirties, smokes pot with failed musicians, floats from one internet startup to the next, spends most of her time hanging out with her ex, and loves playing Street Fighter.

None of these individually are bad things, but taken all together don't paint the portrait of a particularly ambitious individual. She definitely wants things to be better and likes when Mark goes through the motions of being romantic, but at the end of the day it's very much a path of least resistance kind of relationship.

When she finally had something better dangled in front of her, she still didn't leap at it because she wanted Mark to be the right one for her. Thankfully, he made it painfully obvious to her what an absolute miserable poo poo he is and she was finally able to move on.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Peep Show was okay. No episode will ever be as good as Mark's wedding though I suppose. Also the baby has dissapeared?

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
It was a weird series. No baby, Sarah having a toddler, Mark and Jeremy switching personalities at will, almost no Johnson, Super Hans felt like a different character. Dobby is so different to the awkward IT girl Mark fell for during the Sophie era.

I dunno it all just felt lazy. 50 shades references and stuff, almost as if fans thought hey we could write Peep Show episodes. Just felt repetitive, going through the motions, a filler series disconnected to anything else and stuff like the return of Andy the decorator and Gail was a bit odd and forced. Who gives a poo poo about Gail any more?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Haraksha posted:

I think someone mentioned earlier than Dobbie clearly has problems of her own that she's not really dealing with and being with Mark is basically the easiest thing she can do. She's probably in her thirties, smokes pot with failed musicians, floats from one internet startup to the next, spends most of her time hanging out with her ex, and loves playing Street Fighter.

None of these individually are bad things, but taken all together don't paint the portrait of a particularly ambitious individual. She definitely wants things to be better and likes when Mark goes through the motions of being romantic, but at the end of the day it's very much a path of least resistance kind of relationship.

When she finally had something better dangled in front of her, she still didn't leap at it because she wanted Mark to be the right one for her. Thankfully, he made it painfully obvious to her what an absolute miserable poo poo he is and she was finally able to move on.
This is excellent. It sort of makes me think that the show is sort of channelling "Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia" in the sense that the characters are horrible people who are constantly undercutting themselves through their horribleness. Meanwhile, everyone else in the world just gets on with it and carries on growing up.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

I agree this entire series of Peep Show fell a bit flat. You can see why they'd want to keep the break up for the finale, but the failed romance just dragged on and on.

On the plus side mother complained about the swearing which has definitely been the highlight of xmas so far.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Without trying to be all :goonsay:, I hated Dobby this series and thought she was just as bad as anyone. It just made you wonder all series why they even wanted to be together at all.

On a related note, my friend went for dinner with the actress who plays Dobby not long ago. He said it was utterly surreal when she was looking at him and talking.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
My friend sat next to Dobby's Actress on a flight to Australia.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I actually really enjoyed Super Hans this season. I think the joke they were going for is that even a hopeless drug addict with a house full of snakes is a more responsible adult than Mark or Jeremy.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, Super Hans, especially in the paintball episode, was the highlight of the series.

"I don't make the rules!"
"...yes, you do!"

It all felt really slow and plodding, then the ending felt really rushed. I feel they could have paced the entire series a lot better.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Metrication posted:

My friend sat next to Dobby's Actress on a flight to Australia.

Isy Suttie is amazing. I saw her live stand up show back in May (Pearl and Dave) and it was brilliant. :3:

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Why does Super Hans have to rent a snake for the party back in a later series when he has a room full of them? IMMERSIONNNNN~~~

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Thinking about it, Dobbie's character has changed quite a lot since we first met her. Didn't she go LARPing with Gerhard?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It really did feel like Peep Show was building to something this season, but it's really felt quite stale in the end, when it became clear that the main theme of the series was Jez moving out and Dobby moving in (which is basically what we established at the end of the last series). It really feels like everyone - writers and cast - were just calling it in, and giving us more of what we're used to. If it doesn't return for another series, I won't be surprised, and I won't really miss it, either.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

It deserves a good ending. Unfortunately, I think that good ending was the wedding.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
They've already confirmed there will be another series.

I found this series a lot more depressing than others. The old dynamic used to be that when one was up the other was down. Nothing went for Jeremy at all and it became obvious early they weren't going to have Mark and Dobby's relationship work out. And that's all the poor bastard had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I've got a question about a show not called Peep Show, who do you figure was playing Santa in the latest 8 out of 10 Cats? It sounded like a comedian but I don't recognize the voice or style.