Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Has anyone set up a Newznab install running from a home server, rather than a VPS? If so, how have they found they found it running in an environment with relatively lower bandwidth etc? Does it totally saturate your connection for an extended period of time, and take forever to update groups (after the initial group populating period, I mean)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Anyone else who uses Supernews experiencing really slow speeds tonight? I'm getting like 200k if I'm lucky.

WINTER IS COMING
Oct 6, 2011

real_scud posted:

Anyone else who uses Supernews experiencing really slow speeds tonight? I'm getting like 200k if I'm lucky.

Getting a lot of failures / incompletes from supernews lately :(

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Chick3n posted:

I was confused by that for a while as well :downs:. The default Admin account can't post Spots/Comments or download new spots.

If anyone plans on opening their site publicly make sure you change the default Admin password as well (it's set to admin).

Open your start menu. Spotweb Easy > Management > Apache2 Port

In that file all you need to change is List and (optionally) ServerName. To change from port 80 to 90, go from:
code:
## httpd
Listen 80
ServerName localhost:80
to:
code:
## httpd
Listen 90
ServerName localhost:90
And then restart the server. (Start Menu > Spotweb Easy > Management > Restart Server)

Make sure you didn't edit URL: line (keep the # in front of it), that's just telling you what your new URL would look like. For port 90 it would be http://localhost:90/spotweb

Thanks for the response, that is what I was doing and for the sake of sanity followed your directions precisely. I'm still getting an error that the Apache server could not be started.

code:
The wampstackApache service is starting.
The wampstackApache service could not be started.

A service specific error occurred: 1.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3547.

Here's my custom.conf
code:
## httpd
Listen 90

## Restart server after saving changes.

## Example
# Listen 4001
# ServerName localhost:4001
#
# URL: [url]http://your-ip:4001/spotweb[/url]
##

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

TraderStav posted:

Thanks for the response, that is what I was doing and for the sake of sanity followed your directions precisely. I'm still getting an error that the Apache server could not be started.

code:

Here's my custom.conf
code:
## httpd
Listen 90

## Example
# Listen 4001
#
##

I'm getting this same error. I haven't done anything but download the .zip and double-click the exe, then when I start the Setup Wizard, IE opens to http://localhost/spotweb/install.php with a 404.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Supernews performance has been very poor for me lately.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

kylej posted:

Supernews performance has been very poor for me lately.
Ok, at least now I can stop trying to mess with my connection.

I kind of figured it when I could still download an update over Steam at my full connection but Supernews pokes along at like 200k.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Must be regional or something. I'm having no issues with Supernews.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Must be regional or something. I'm having no issues with Supernews.

Same here.

That said, I am tempted to try out XSUsenet's paid offering, since they're European only (and thus, I hope, less likely to comply with takedown notices).

Uselessness
Mar 29, 2005

This really pisses me
off to no end
Slippery Tilde

moron posted:

Has anyone set up a Newznab install running from a home server, rather than a VPS? If so, how have they found they found it running in an environment with relatively lower bandwidth etc? Does it totally saturate your connection for an extended period of time, and take forever to update groups (after the initial group populating period, I mean)?

I've got newznab running off a netbook, admittedly only indexing 4 news groups. No problems. I have a fairly respectable 80mbit/20mbit connection though so your mileage may vary, but I don't believe it would actually saturate your connection - when I pull headers with a usenet client, the speed is usually <500kb/s because it's pulling many tiny files as opposed to one large one (I believe is the case - so it's slowed down by GET/authentication processes and connection limits).

I'd suggest downloading some form of newsreader client which allows you to fetch headers (I tested with GrabIt on windows) and seeing how your connection holds up while that happens.

It's an old eee pc 1201n which has been lying around doing nothing for years now - dual core atom and 2gb ram. The CPU usage caps out for sure when it's indexing but that doesn't take long.

Updating once an hour - it takes less than 10 minutes usually to pull the headers from all 4 groups (one of them always has 100k+ headers, it seems - the other three are much faster), 5-10 mins maybe to index them so I separate each process by 15 mins.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

TraderStav posted:

code:

Here's my custom.conf
code:
## httpd
Listen 90

## Example
# Listen 4001
#
##

Perhaps try a port above 1024, I'm not sure how windows deals with this but Unix systems generally require root to open ports lower than 1024. Much less of a risk of blocking something else too.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Gism0 posted:

Perhaps try a port above 1024, I'm not sure how windows deals with this but Unix systems generally require root to open ports lower than 1024. Much less of a risk of blocking something else too.

That was it! I switched it to 1500 and it started successfully! Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

That was it! I switched it to 1500 and it started successfully! Thanks!

Alternatively, telling TeamViewer not to use 80 or 443 has it working out of the box!

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

moron posted:

Running from home on a 50/5 connection. I can't even tell when its doing its thing. I use compressed headers as I found it was faster so maybe that helps. It makes it through its loop about once every 5 minutes.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hello Spaceman posted:

Same here.

That said, I am tempted to try out XSUsenet's paid offering, since they're European only (and thus, I hope, less likely to comply with takedown notices).

I had this same idea and so added a tweaknews.eu block account as a backup server in addition to Blocknews and my main Supernews account.

I can't really say much about them other than that sabnzbd has downloaded about 500MB from them over the past month. I don't really have a problem with DMCA'ed posts too often. Maybe once every couple months I'll have something fail...except for that one day a week or two ago where all sorts of poo poo was failing for everyone.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Hello Spaceman posted:

Same here.

Their prices seem good too. A 1 year account is €60 which converts to about $80 while most other providers are in the $95+ range. The only catch is that their retention is 'only' 900 days while the other providers are in the 1500+ range now.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
So if you have two backup providers set in sab will it try one then the other to find a missing article or does it just pick one when the primary fails?

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

Gism0 posted:

Tried this and I'm still getting the same error with Apache. Do I need to have anything installed before Spotweb Easy? I'm not running any sort of Apache install beforehand.
Trying to start the Apache service manually via Windows gives me the same result.

e: additionally, Event Viewer shows this error
code:
The Apache service named  reported the following error:
>>> (OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.  : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:443     .

Sunblood fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 23, 2012

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I think I've got Spotweb all set up just right, I'm guessing this is where everyone has said that they're learning Dutch. Should I assume that the files are in English, but with Dutch descriptions, or should I ignore anything Dutch in it?

Is there any way to find out how much space or spots I've grabbed? Curious to see what kind of bandwidth usage/hard drive storage it's using. How long on a 10mpbs internet connection until I should assume I have a good chunk of the NZBs available?

If I want to best replicate the other indexers, I should set up Newznab and go that route? That would require much more HD storage and bandwidth, yes? Also a much more difficult set up?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

TraderStav posted:

I think I've got Spotweb all set up just right, I'm guessing this is where everyone has said that they're learning Dutch. Should I assume that the files are in English, but with Dutch descriptions, or should I ignore anything Dutch in it?

If you click a spot it tells you audio and subtitle language .

[quote="TraderStav" post="410852295"]
Is there any way to find out how much space or spots I've grabbed?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1733507/how-to-get-size-of-mysql-database

TraderStav posted:

Curious to see what kind of bandwidth usage/hard drive storage it's using. How long on a 10mpbs internet connection until I should assume I have a good chunk of the NZBs available?

As far as I can tell, it doesn't really use much bandwidth at all and the bottlneck is something local...maybe CPU speed? Anyway it took me several hours to get everything.

TraderStav posted:

If I want to best replicate the other indexers, I should set up Newznab and go that route? That would require much more HD storage and bandwidth, yes? Also a much more difficult set up?

Yes.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

Sunblood posted:

Tried this and I'm still getting the same error with Apache. Do I need to have anything installed before Spotweb Easy? I'm not running any sort of Apache install beforehand.
Trying to start the Apache service manually via Windows gives me the same result.

e: additionally, Event Viewer shows this error
code:
The Apache service named  reported the following error:
>>> (OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.  : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:443     .

Go to C:\Spotweb Easy\apache2\conf and open httpd.conf in Notepad. Find (ctrl + F) the line that says "Include conf/extra/httpd-ssl.conf" and put a # in front, save and then try starting the Apache service (wampstackApache).

That will disable SSL support, but I'm pretty sure Spotweb doesn't need SSL to run.

TraderStav posted:

Should I assume that the files are in English, but with Dutch descriptions, or should I ignore anything Dutch in it?

Is there any way to find out how much space or spots I've grabbed? Curious to see what kind of bandwidth usage/hard drive storage it's using. How long on a 10mpbs internet connection until I should assume I have a good chunk of the NZBs available?

1. It should say: "Language English audio/written" if it's in English. I haven't downloaded enough to confirm if that is always accurate.

2. My Spotweb is set to Full Spots, Comments, Reports but to not Pre-fetch Images or Nzb files. 27 MB disk space used, 3.6 GB database file.

3. Yes. More HD storage, potentially more bandwidth (depending on features) and more CPU usage as well. There isn't a pre-packaged setup like Spotweb Easy, but once you have the backend setup (Apache/Mysql/PHP) it's about as difficult as setting up a Web Forum (copy files over, run install script, configure settings, setup auto retrieval).

Ronald Duck fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 23, 2012

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

ClassH posted:

So if you have two backup providers set in sab will it try one then the other to find a missing article or does it just pick one when the primary fails?

I assume it goes through them that way, but I think it prioritizes servers that just have Backup ticked first, and ones with Optional/Backup second.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

Chick3n posted:

Go to C:\Spotweb Easy\apache2\conf and open httpd.conf in Notepad. Find (ctrl + F) the line that says "Include conf/extra/httpd-ssl.conf" and put a # in front, save and then try starting the Apache service (wampstackApache).

That will disable SSL support, but I'm pretty sure Spotweb doesn't need SSL to run.

That did it! Thank you so much.

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005
Looks like omgwtfnzbs.com shut down sometime this weekend.

For Spotweb, is there a delay in processing headers?

I noticed if I search for something that should be released on a weekly basis, it'll show one from a week ago, but the next result will be 1+ year old.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

MrCodeDude posted:

I noticed if I search for something that should be released on a weekly basis, it'll show one from a week ago, but the next result will be 1+ year old.

Things get posted to spotweb when people post them. It doesn't scrape usenet like newznab does.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

MrCodeDude posted:

I've noticed that the search results aren't immediately arranged by date posted. Have you tried sorting the search results by date?

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

MrCodeDude posted:

They were asking for (demanding) donations (in bitcoin :banjo:) a few days ago, so gently caress them.

Larry Christ
Jul 27, 2005

elwood posted:

They were asking for (demanding) donations (in bitcoin :banjo:) a few days ago, so gently caress them.

Oh cool, and right after I paid for VIP. I used paypal, anyone else in the same boat? Think I could get the 10bux back?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Larry Christ posted:

Oh cool, and right after I paid for VIP. I used paypal, anyone else in the same boat? Think I could get the 10bux back?

I'm not sure how if they throw NZB sites in the same category but PayPal has a pretty strong 'gently caress you' policy when it comes to do anything file sharing related.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
No refunds on digital goods on PayPal.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

No refunds on digital goods on PayPal.

Is this a new thing? I got a refund for a game that I bought from a deadbeat dev that never sent an activation code a few months ago.

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Things get posted to spotweb when people post them. It doesn't scrape usenet like newznab does.

I understand that, but some of the weekly Linux distributions I'll search for are very popular and are seemingly missing most of their most current season release code-name.

I'm not complaining if this is the case, I just want to make sure that my Spotweb configuration is working properly.

Larry Christ posted:

Stop paying for NZB sites, at least until things somewhat stabilize. Right now, you're gambling with your money.

MrCodeDude fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 25, 2012

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Stop paying for them period. There are plenty of good sites out there that are free, or roll your own

kiresays
Aug 14, 2012

MrCodeDude posted:

I understand that, but some of the weekly Linux distributions I'll search for are very popular and are seemingly missing most of their most current season release code-name.

I'm not complaining if this is the case, I just want to make sure that my Spotweb configuration is working properly.

Stop paying for NZB sites, at least until things somewhat stabilize. Right now, you're gambling with your money.

Yeah, I've found everything I need/wanted through the free engines. Even some stuff that apparently got filtered out on nzbmatrix.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
just took less than an hours setting up SpotWeb Easy (instructions in previous post helped + google translating the FAQs) + CouchPotato + Headphones + Sickbeard is pretty straight forward and seems to work just fine for me using supernews. no need for nzb engines for now.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Hello Spaceman posted:

Same here.

I've been eyeballing TweakNews and XS Usenet recently, but one of the possible "catches" I see with the latter is this bit:

quote:

Is there a bandwidth/usage limit?

Free users are limited to 25 GB per month and Premium users have a 'fair use policy'.
Fair use implies that we expect a user to keep his bandwidth usage in line with the average usage. Heavy users risk temporary suspension of service.

Do we have anyone who is already using the service primarily that has an idea whereabouts this average use lies? My average is around 400GB per month and I have no idea whether that is below average, above average, or outlandishly high.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
The TweakNews block account I just bought is already helping me out. Thanks for the recommendation Thermopyle.

I could have sworn there was a way to limit downloads to one item at a time, but I can't find it in the settings. Ever since adding a new block server as a backup, SAB is downloading the top two items.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

EC posted:

The TweakNews block account I just bought is already helping me out. Thanks for the recommendation Thermopyle.

I could have sworn there was a way to limit downloads to one item at a time, but I can't find it in the settings. Ever since adding a new block server as a backup, SAB is downloading the top two items.

I just added this too. Its rare, but I have ran into a situation where Readnews, Giganews, Highwinds AND Astraweb were all missing a chunk, and had to fall back to the free XSUsenet account (which is very unstable)

Basically, there's no reason not to add a block plan from every major feed you can find and then some.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I have been downloading things to a shared folder on a NAS and just launching them when I want to watch them but I really would like to make things a bit more automated. Will Sickbeard install on top of a set of existing media without jacking it up and more importantly will it recognize you have that media downloaded already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Syano posted:

I have been downloading things to a shared folder on a NAS and just launching them when I want to watch them but I really would like to make things a bit more automated. Will Sickbeard install on top of a set of existing media without jacking it up and more importantly will it recognize you have that media downloaded already?

Depends on how you have your folders and naming set up.