Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

FCKGW posted:

I like Amazon product-in-a-post plugin. I don't use the whole post/review feature, just the shortcode links. I think the default template creates the most appealing link code of the ones I've tried.

Here's an example of a page I used it on.

Just so you know, right now that page is a clusterfuck of:

quote:

Warning: file_get_contents(https://webservices.amazon.com/onca...y%2Fj0PjXk2U%3D) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable in /home/fluxity/domains/gangnam-costume.com/wp-content/plugins/amazon-product-in-a-post-plugin/inc/aws_signed_request.php on line 376

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Zero Gravitas posted:

Just so you know, right now that page is a clusterfuck of:

Thanks for the heads up, Amazon's API was down for a few hours this morning. Nothing wrong on my end.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My Black Friday blog didn't do quite as well as last year, but it still earned more in the single week than all my other blogs did the the months prior.

Traffic

Earnings

I also earned an additional $150 from Amazon and ~$20 from CPA offers. Last year I had $2200 from Adsense, $500 from CPA and $300 from Amazon. Also my traffic this year was just over 50k visitors that week versus 80k the time before. CTR was crazy high though which helped to offset the earnings versus lost traffic.

I think my from in traffic/earnings was from my site dropping from Yahoo/Bing. My site was not listed at all in Bing's results and I'm not sure why. Nothing has changed from this year and last year. They finally got around to re-crawling my site last week and I'm still not in their results.

One good note is that About.com wrote 2 or 3 articles about my website so that should be a huge boost in authority in the rankings. On Thanksgiving and Black Friday I was listed higher than the retailer I was writing about so traffic had a good spike.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That's really impressive, pretty good for something that is low maintenance.

Is that income from adsense then and not from Amazon?

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Invision is it really that easy to get stuff to review? I know exactly what id like to get my hands on for free.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Zero Gravitas posted:

Invision is it really that easy to get stuff to review? I know exactly what id like to get my hands on for free.

Yeah. it's amazingly easy. As long as you do an actual legit product review, I don't think you'd have any problem getting the free stuff train rolling your way. Don't gently caress people around on reviews or whatever though because word will get out. That's obviously not to tell you to write dishonest reviews - i make it a point to tell people that I'm going to write a completely honest, truthful review of their product and everyone is okay with it. Now, I'm not going to completely destroy someone in a review saying "yep will this is a piece of poo poo" and if I notice something wrong, I'll give them a call/email and ask them if they are aware/if they are planning on fixing it so I can add that info in.

Check this review out for an example of how to do one the way I do. The owner of the company was extremely pleased with it, even though I do list negatives in it, and I still have a really good working relationship with them.

http://10seventyfive.com/gopro-hero2-vs-fdcam-1080-bulldog-helmet-cam-shootout/

I got that camera because I tweeted a gopro video I took and someone said "Well I use the fdcam you should check it out!" so i tweeted the following, verbatim, to the companies twitter account

"Would you guys be interested in sending me a demo unit to do an A/B comparison and review on my site?"

and it went on from there.

invision fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 27, 2012

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Double post: I posted on fb/twitter about needing some help with the site over the next few months due to me not having the time to take care of it like i would. I have about 10 people that want to write regularly for the site contact me in the past 10 minutes. Did I just turn this into a no-maintenance site?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

JFairfax posted:

That's really impressive, pretty good for something that is low maintenance.

Is that income from adsense then and not from Amazon?

Yes, that screenshot was Adsense only. I did much better in Amazon last year due to some great TV deals I posted, but not as much this year.

Had a real good CPA offer last year as well that was cancelled a few weeks prior.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

invision posted:

Double post: I posted on fb/twitter about needing some help with the site over the next few months due to me not having the time to take care of it like i would. I have about 10 people that want to write regularly for the site contact me in the past 10 minutes. Did I just turn this into a no-maintenance site?

No, you've just moved from a writer to an editor. From my experience most writers, even paid ones, will require a lot of editing for your own site. You still have to come up with the article ideas, or at least review and approve them, you still have to edit the articles for SEO and readability, add pics, fix links, add tags, categorize it, schedule it, etc.

Having writers underneath you definitely allows you to create more content in a shorter time, which usually translates to better rankings and more money.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

FCKGW posted:

Yes, that screenshot was Adsense only. I did much better in Amazon last year due to some great TV deals I posted, but not as much this year.

Had a real good CPA offer last year as well that was cancelled a few weeks prior.

A 7% click rate is outstanding. Are you running ads in posts with your styles matching?

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Thanks to this thread, I think I'm actually going to break even or even make a slight profit. Of course that is assuming that my time and effort is valueless.
But making $100 from Adsense and another $150 from Amazon isn't bad for seven months of work.

I've also been working on the social media side of my sites and between reddit, twitter, and stumble-upon my daily visitors are slowly increasing. Hopefully things keep getting better in the next year.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MasterControl posted:

A 7% click rate is outstanding. Are you running ads in posts with your styles matching?

Obviously everything is set up to match the site layout. This site is heavily optimized for Adsense clicks, nearly everything "above the fold" is an ad, content requires scrolling down.

This is a site that the average visitor will hit once per year so I don't have to worry about building an audience, it's setup to maximize revenue.

It didn't hurt that the main google ad I kept seeing on my site matched the keyword I was going for exactly. CTR was >10% for the first few days.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

So I've decided to get up off my arse and sort out some amazon stuff because my astronomy site could do quite well with putting in product links to "atlas of the sky" or "babbys first telescope" type stuff.

But immediately I'm wary of the first hurdle: do I go for associate on the amazon.com site or .co.uk (where I am)?

I know most of my traffic is going to be from the US, but the last time I checked Amazon had this godawful system where you couldnt get paid overseas without setting up a US tax number or some such thing where you had to go to the embassy to fill out forms and in general it just seemed like some massive loving hassle that didnt make it worth it as youd have to pay £200 to earn £50.

Is that still the case or have they managed to get their poo poo together?

Bodhi Tea
Oct 2, 2006

seconds are secular, moments are mine, self is illusion, music's divine.

Zero Gravitas posted:

So I've decided to get up off my arse and sort out some amazon stuff because my astronomy site could do quite well with putting in product links to "atlas of the sky" or "babbys first telescope" type stuff.

But immediately I'm wary of the first hurdle: do I go for associate on the amazon.com site or .co.uk (where I am)?

I know most of my traffic is going to be from the US, but the last time I checked Amazon had this godawful system where you couldnt get paid overseas without setting up a US tax number or some such thing where you had to go to the embassy to fill out forms and in general it just seemed like some massive loving hassle that didnt make it worth it as youd have to pay £200 to earn £50.

Is that still the case or have they managed to get their poo poo together?

You can get both a .com and .co.uk associates account.

I'm in Canada, Amazon.com mails me a cheque, there are no fees but there is a $100 minimum. AFAIK, direct deposit is only for US residents.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Bodhi Tea posted:

You can get both a .com and .co.uk associates account.

I'm in Canada, Amazon.com mails me a cheque, there are no fees but there is a $100 minimum. AFAIK, direct deposit is only for US residents.

Ok.I guess my question then becomes "How do I set this up so that the right amazon ads display depending on whether the visitor is from the US or overseas?"

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Zero Gravitas posted:

Ok.I guess my question then becomes "How do I set this up so that the right amazon ads display depending on whether the visitor is from the US or overseas?"

I think at least one of the WP plugins for amazon associates has geo-location.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sperg Victorious posted:

I think at least one of the WP plugins for amazon associates has geo-location.

PiP and most of the major Wordpress plugins for Amazon support geolocation and specific stores.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

A good thing to do on twitter is to create and use your own hashtag. For instance, I use #vollielife since my blog/twitter is about volunteer firefighting, and it's started to get used some by my followers, which of course leads more people to the twitter, which leads people to the site.

e:Has anyone managed to turn what we're doing in this thread into a full-time hired-to-do-work job?

invision fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 30, 2012

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any recommendations for a decent WordPress Amazon Affiliate plugin?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

JFairfax posted:

Are there any recommendations for a decent WordPress Amazon Affiliate plugin?

This has been talked about in the last few pages.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

FCKGW posted:

Obviously everything is set up to match the site layout. This site is heavily optimized for Adsense clicks, nearly everything "above the fold" is an ad, content requires scrolling down.

This is a site that the average visitor will hit once per year so I don't have to worry about building an audience, it's setup to maximize revenue.

It didn't hurt that the main google ad I kept seeing on my site matched the keyword I was going for exactly. CTR was >10% for the first few days.

What are you using for your site? Wordpress or did you build it yourself?

Also, that's pretty rad. You've got your own little money maker going - living all of our dreams.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MasterControl posted:

What are you using for your site? Wordpress or did you build it yourself?

Also, that's pretty rad. You've got your own little money maker going - living all of our dreams.

I'm just using wordpress on a hostgator account for all my blogs. Most of my sites are using the Heatmap theme which is pretty utilitarian and has a good CTR.

Also I'm still working for a living, that earnings is from a single site that's meant to make money on Black Friday only. It earns less than $5 the rest of the year :smith:

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I'm now selling branded t-shirts for my main firefighting blog. 10 orders in the hour that it's been up. Leveraging social media to put money in my pocket is pretty awesome to be honest.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Ok, somebody really needs to break the Amazon thing down for me - it might just be because Ive had a killer day at work and I'm using a netbook with a tiny screen, but I'm finding this a real uphill struggle.

Ive got the Amazon Piap plugin and I've signed up to the amazon.co.uk affiliate scheme and got an affiliate ID. So far, so simple. But in the settings page I get the impression that it will only accept one ID (so one amazon affiliate account) either US or UK, and not both a UK account and US account, displaying different ads depending on location. Have I got this right? Am I limited to the one amazon affiliate account or can I enter multiple ones? :ohdear:

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

So... no help?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Zero Gravitas posted:

So... no help?

I just took a look at the plugin on my site and there's not really much explaination on how it works the locaization. I think it will just use the same affiliate ID and then send the visitor to the correct Amazon site.

You could also try looking at Amazon Link plugin
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/amazon-link/

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Thanks for Amazon Link. Of the two thats the easiest to get started with - although now it seems I have a lot of reading to do when it comes to setting up custom banners and the multinational aspect.

Plus, how do I get two links to display side by side instead of one on top of the other? Having a massive break in my article text isnt going to do me any favours. :/

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Made $42.00 in the past week off of t-shirt sales via teespring.com

If you have a userbase that's into your poo poo, go ahead and make a t-shirt. I sold 28 shirts total, which isn't a whole lot either.

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If I'm using Google Maps to pinpoint locations that are specific to my website do I have control over those places or does Google have control since I'm using their map?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Google owns the map data so they would have control over specific locations or names.

You can use something like openstreetmaps if you need more control.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I've been working on another site recently that I kind of stole the idea from Scotsman. Sorry about that.

It's a book order site that focuses on science fiction and fantasy series with links to the Amazon pages for each book. The site has about 90 or so series listed with me attempting to add one a day with most of the major series covered, or at least the ones I enjoy. :)

I've been following some of the tips and ideas that have been posted. I started posting to twitter whenever I added content to the site and followed some of the publishers and major authors. To my surprise, that account gets about one new follower a day. I've even set up a paid stumbleupon account that generates 10 hits a day or so.

But I'm not really seeing any organic hits coming to the site, with only about one a day or so. I know that it takes time and the field is somewhat crowded with goodreads, wikipedia, and even amazon itself to choose from.

So I'm thinking about going on Reddit's science fiction and fantasy pages and posting a link to my site. This might seem like a dumb question, but what is the best way to go about that? Make an account and hit every sub-reddit with a link to my site? Or take my time and gain their trust before I start hawking my site?

And if anyone wants to give me some criticism on the layout, I would really appreciate it. Or even a better way to generating the links to each book. I'm copying and pasting each link from Amazon by hand so anything to speed up the process would be nice.

Guess I should put the address too.

http://scifibookorder.com

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
I highly suggest making an account and adding good content to the subreddit. Like post and answer questions, give theories, ideas, etc. casually mention your site where you can and leave it at that. You'll see a lot more exposure from a post that lingers around in a semi-popular thread as opposed to one that you just spam out there all over the place and then they get down voted right away. Plus people will respect you more.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Moniker posted:

I highly suggest making an account and adding good content to the subreddit. Like post and answer questions, give theories, ideas, etc. casually mention your site where you can and leave it at that. You'll see a lot more exposure from a post that lingers around in a semi-popular thread as opposed to one that you just spam out there all over the place and then they get down voted right away. Plus people will respect you more.

Also, it doesn't hurt to add some click-bait to your content. For instance, if you have a list of say "Top 10 Fantasy Novels", make it a good list, but add something believable, but not Top 10 quality, and rank it above some of the cherished series. Its the internet, people will fall all over themselves to comment about how you're wrong to rank a Piers Anthony novel above Robert Jordan.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Also, it doesn't hurt to add some click-bait to your content. For instance, if you have a list of say "Top 10 Fantasy Novels", make it a good list, but add something believable, but not Top 10 quality, and rank it above some of the cherished series. Its the internet, people will fall all over themselves to comment about how you're wrong to rank a Piers Anthony novel above Robert Jordan.

Let me just re-iterate this. List's really drive sites and breaking from the norm is fairly ok because it gets people talking. I made a 100 great albums list and people still criticized me. That's not really the point though my point is I made about 30$ off that story and it's because a suggestion the OP made to me: Put text ad's in content. In the list/gallery format ust put them directly beneath your content. For example my previous list shows this: http://britpopnews.com/100-great-albums-of-the-1990s-from-the-uk/

In fact, most of my traffic is from my gallery/list's. Top 10 albums, top 10 songs, top 10 songs to get drunk to. If you read the book/saw the movie high fidelity then you'll catch the drift. THing is you'll see that so many sites do it. NBC sports, nme, espn, huffington post (especially them).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Try lists in something other than 10, like 9 or 12. They tend to get better click troughs. I hear 7 is the best number in fact.

Just take a look at Cracked.com, they specialize in "Top #" lists and nearly none of them are Top 10.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Just made $500 bucks selling ad space. holy poo poo.

Arsenic Life Form
Jan 1, 2011
Here's my blog on using everyday items to remake famous outfits from TV, movies, and the web. It's still in early stages -- just publishing a new post each day and building up the content for now. Check it out and let me know what you guys think.

http://carboncostume.com

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Arsenic Life Form posted:

Here's my blog on using everyday items to remake famous outfits from TV, movies, and the web. It's still in early stages -- just publishing a new post each day and building up the content for now. Check it out and let me know what you guys think.

http://carboncostume.com

This is a pretty fun idea for a blog. Are you making many sales yet? I notice your amazon links are automatically directed to the user's country. What are you using to do this?

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

FCKGW posted:

Try lists in something other than 10, like 9 or 12. They tend to get better click troughs. I hear 7 is the best number in fact.

Just take a look at Cracked.com, they specialize in "Top #" lists and nearly none of them are Top 10.

any reason why that is? I'm guessing a list less than 10 might seem more clickable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MasterControl posted:

any reason why that is? I'm guessing a list less than 10 might seem more clickable?

Absolutely, 10 just sounds boring. 9 most overweight superheroes or the 33 worst shoes ever made sounds way more interesting.

You see it all the time on any website that does heavy seo.

• Locked thread