Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Is trying to download the update taking that much time today? (How has it taken people who have done it today?) I'm wondering if I should wait to set up my WiiU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It took me a couple hours, the download servers kept dropping me and so I had to keep resuming the download but I got it done.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

Is trying to download the update taking that much time today? (How has it taken people who have done it today?) I'm wondering if I should wait to set up my WiiU

You can always have it download in the background, it will not impede you actually playing games if you have it download in the background (is this not in the op yet?)

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Robolizard! posted:

You can always have it download in the background, it will not impede you actually playing games if you have it download in the background (is this not in the op yet?)

quote:

First time set up and update
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR SYSTEM DURING FIRST UPDATE OR IT COULD BE BRICKED. Auto shutoff does not apply during the download of the update, no matter the setting. Apparently if you choose not to perform the update immediately, it will download in the background while you do other stuff. The update is about 1 GB, despite gossip that it is 5 GB

But then why would anyone assume in the first place that you have to have the internet to play a game on a console?

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 26, 2012

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
So, owning a 360, PS3 and a Wii, my wife bought me (awesomely) a Wii U - my question is to owners, is it worth it? I was considering changing it, but the idea is growing on me, am I going to feel let down like I was by the original Wii?

Obviously it's early in the console life, but just wanted some views really.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Doug Dinsdale posted:

While the Youtube app is total crap, I love how the slick browser handles Youtube.
It automatically resizes the video to fill the TV screen with no borders or overflow, and it frees the pad so one can search for other videos while the original is still playing. This is how it should be.

This was basically my family christmas. I was searching for new funny cat videos to play while family watched other funny cat videos. Then I would premier them with the curtains. It was awesome.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Shockeh posted:

So, owning a 360, PS3 and a Wii, my wife bought me (awesomely) a Wii U - my question is to owners, is it worth it? I was considering changing it, but the idea is growing on me, am I going to feel let down like I was by the original Wii?

I feel like Nintendo at least sort of realized what they did wrong with the Wii. They're trying not to ignore the "hardcore" audience anymore - flirting with Platinum, backing Monolith, getting the AAA titles (even if half of them are just stuff they missed in the past year) - and they're taking a decent stab at online support, even if they have a lot of issues to start with.

But it's still way too early to tell if they actually have a long-term solution.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Shockeh posted:

I wouldn't expect the Wii U to miss out on any ports due to lack of power like the Wii did. The disparity isn't going to be as significant with its new competitors. Iwata has said this as well.

But why would you return a gift from your wife anyway, geez.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Shockeh posted:

I understand exchanging Christmas gifts, but isn't that a little difficult when it's from your wife?

Otherwise, the system is certainly an improvement over the Wii, so far. We don't really know what to look forward to on it though, past March, or if Nintendo will commit to online multiplayer. It handles online multiplayer great so far, in third party titles, but so far no Nintendo titles, or even announced Nintendo titles that I am aware of, support online multiplayer. I assume Smash Bros will, but they are probably only in design phases with that game right now.

The short of it is a ton of good to great games already even though some are old, a really good eStore, good ancillary console features, TVii is pretty good if you are a cable subscriber, the browser is really good if you want to show stuff on TV, and being able to suspend a game to search for something is a great feature, the off screen play is great. It should tie you over til the next systems are out, or longer.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So this is kind of interesting. Namco Bandai listened to people complaining about the cost of Tank! Tank! Tank! versus the amount of content and gameplay actually in the game, and as such are changing the payment model for the Japanese release to be freemium.

I really hope that Coming Soon to eShop version we're getting is this, because it sounds way more tempting than dropping $50 for it straight up.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Maple Leaf posted:

What's the opinion on 007 Legends? Just going by the Miiverse, it seems roughly 70/30 hate/love.

I played Goldeneye for the Wii and I for some reason loved it to bits, particularly the multiplayer. If it's more of the same but with smoother and faster online then I guess I'm sold.

I don't know anything about the Wii U port in particular, but the other versions suck. The game was rushed out in under a year in order to launch alongside Skyfall, and it was such a flop that it killed Eurocom.

Xenomorph posted:

That Rayman Legends demo has sold me on the game, I think.

I played through it twice, and still have 29/30 plays left.

The "Black Betty" stage is nuts. Does anyone know if there are more stages like that in the full game?

Yeah, I remember seeing one based on "Bad Romance" by Lady Gaga, and I think I read there was a Queen track, too?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So, did it happen? Did the online community swell and quadruple in number?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bobnumerotres posted:

So, did it happen? Did the online community swell and quadruple in number?

I would hope not, that'd mean we're now outnumbered 3:1 by children and teenagers.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

My Wii U was up and running in about 30 minutes today, from plug in to nintendoland! Completely pleased with everything so far!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

After beating round 20 on the Metroid Nintendoland game, I drew a terrible GET OUT frog as a response.

Someone almost immediately sent me a friend request saying "GET IN". I'm so glad Nintendo actually understands online now. :3:

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
So I popped in Warriors Orochi 3. Have not yet let the patch finish, as I'm at my cousin's house using his Wii U and his Internet is awful.

There are either no SFX or they are extremely quiet. Does the patch fix that?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I got Sonic Transformed and popped it in to try the a race.

The wife was watching something and I didn't know how to get the screen onto the gamepad so ended up doing the first race playing entirely off the minimap.

1st place on medium. :smug:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Puddin posted:

The wife was watching something and I didn't know how to get the screen onto the gamepad so ended up doing the first race playing entirely off the minimap.

In case you still do not know, swipe down on the touchscreen.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

THERE ARE EXTRA LEVELS FOR LUIGI'S GHOST MANSION? :stare:

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Puddin posted:

Reminds me of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWbLOFGSEDo

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The demo for Rayman Legends is a hell of a lot of fun. Looks beautiful and has plenty of charm to it. I didn't even mind the Murphy level because it still managed to be fun to play and control. Castle Rock was awesome to play and I echo the hopes that there are more of these cool music levels.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I got a Deluxe model for Christmas and went to set it up but couldn't get it to output to the TV. After double checking that the input and HDMI cable worked, I noticed the blue light on the console was blinking instead of staying lit. I looked around on Nintendo's site and it looks like this might be some sort of video-out error :(. Calling Nintendo tomorrow while my copy of Nintendo Lane and NSMB:U taunt me silently.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Playing Yoshi Cart with my parents, and spending much of Christmas day turning my friends into Miis really reminded me of the same magic I saw in the Wii.

I think Sony or Microsoft will eventually give me consoles that will replace this as my main device for gaming, but I can see this being my go-to for other media. They literally have the best presentation of Netflix on any other device or browser. I was going through he fool's errand of finding a specific episode of a show on Netflix, and I was shocked how easy they made it with the episode selection menu. I really hope a Pandora or Spotify app are developed for this thing.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I got this for Christmas. Spent an hour playing around with NSMBWU without even turning on the TV.

It's amazing. It's a combination of the comfort of playing a portable at home with the power of a console.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Man, as lame as it all sounds, the Miiverse is really awesome and posting messages after levels of NSMB is always worth doing. The Wii U is unabashedly uncool and proud of it and I love it.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Is there a problem downloading updates for netflix or youtube? It seems to keep giving me an error code. I did the original big first start update and I'm connected to the internet and other things work, but I can't seem to update those. Nintendo store don't work either.

null_user01013 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 26, 2012

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
Anyone know why Miiverse posts in NSMBU are limited to 90 characters instead of 100? Such a strange limitation worries me about the system's cohesiveness from a software design perspective.

Awcko
May 26, 2009

Mo' Pushin'

Mo' Problems

AxeManiac posted:

Is there a problem downloading updates for netflix or youtube? It seems to keep giving me an error code. I did the original big first start update and I'm connected to the internet and other things work, but I can't seem to update those. Nintendo store don't work either.

I think all the new Christmas buyers are putting strain on the network. It'll probably clear up in the next day or two.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Awcko posted:

I think all the new Christmas buyers are putting strain on the network. It'll probably clear up in the next day or two.

Bummer, can't try any of the online stuff really. Oh well.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Oh cool, Youtube is working again on the Internet Browser. No more having to use the embedded feature to watch them.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mennonites Revenge posted:

Anyone know why Miiverse posts in NSMBU are limited to 90 characters instead of 100? Such a strange limitation worries me about the system's cohesiveness from a software design perspective.

Probably to accommodate the DEAR BOWSER and other various headers that are attached to some NSMBU messages.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
loving hell, I think I got a dud Wii U. :( Console loads up fine at first, but seems to shut off at random intervals, leaving the power light blinking red. Unplugging the system for a bit gets it to power on, but I'll be damned if I'm going to try updating this thing like that. Unless I'm missing something obvious, I guess I'd better return it.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I got Scribblenauts and Sonic Racing. Haven't had a chance to play Sonic yet but I popped in Scribblenauts and played for an hour. The time went by in a blink. I have no idea why but the game thinks Maxwell is a thief right now! Also he's running around in a banana suit but at least I saw that happen. I am having so much fun, though a few puzzles here and there have been obtuse and somehow at one point I got stuck trying to create a musical instrument, and it wouldn't even accept "guitar" or "flute." I think it's because I tried and failed to spell "didjeridu" (didgeridoo? too many options, Google!) enough times that I just screwed up the whole input thing. It worked once I backed out and went in again, but it kind of ruined the fun. At any rate, the game is drat fine, and I'm glad I have it.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

FPzero posted:

The demo for Rayman Legends is a hell of a lot of fun. Looks beautiful and has plenty of charm to it. I didn't even mind the Murphy level because it still managed to be fun to play and control. Castle Rock was awesome to play and I echo the hopes that there are more of these cool music levels.

I had no idea all the levels in the demo are also multiplayer, leaned on a Wii controller accidentally while playing on Christmas day and bang. Am I the only one who didn't know this?

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

A few quick questions...

1) What's the best screen protector for the Gamepad? Is it Hori again?

2) What's the best Wiimote-only charging dock? I have the deluxe console, so I don't need it for the gamepad.

3) Is it best to let the Gamepad die totally before recharging, or just put it on the charging dock whenever I'm done playing?

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
I read the FAQ, but didn't see this answered. My live-in boyfriend got a Wii U for Christmas, that we'll both use. We both made Nintendo Network accounts – but should there be only one account per Wii U, or an account for each person who will be using it?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Walked into a local Walmart and picked up a Deluxe model this morning. Currently downloading the update, which is taking forever. Like, the progress bar hasn't moved in 10 minutes.

Can't wait to play some Zombi U! My sister and some others are coming over this weekend, so I'm gonna save Nintendoland until then.

I'm also scrolling through Gamefly's used section of Wii games to pick up some that I missed. I'm a huge Zelda fanboy, but the stuff I've heard about Skyward Sword sounds like some of the worst aspects of Twilight Princess got brought over. Slow text, endlessly repeating and unskippable animations, etc. Kind of a bummer.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Jet Set Jettison posted:

THERE ARE EXTRA LEVELS FOR LUIGI'S GHOST MANSION? :stare:

There are seemingly extra levels for all the "main" games except for Animal Crossing: Sweet Day, which is by far the best game on the disc. What's up with that?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Invalid Octopus posted:

I read the FAQ, but didn't see this answered. My live-in boyfriend got a Wii U for Christmas, that we'll both use. We both made Nintendo Network accounts – but should there be only one account per Wii U, or an account for each person who will be using it?

You can do either/or. All the demos and as far as I know downloaded games are accessible from both accounts. Also some games split the saves via what profile you're on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I had heard that the menus were slow but it just took me 15 seconds to open the settings app, and another 15 to exit it back to the main menu. Goddamn.

• Locked thread