Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

notZaar posted:

Does it really matter if they reach the island? The story will progress one way or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Berserk, also known as George R.R. Martin's Waiting for Godot.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Miura's gravestone will read BERSERK WILL RETURN ON ________

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Raku posted:

Miura's gravestone will read BERSERK WILL RETURN ON ________

"TIL NEXT TIME!"

:smith:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

WickedIcon posted:

Berserk, also known as George R.R. Martin's Waiting for Godot.

At least Japanese people have some of the longest average lifespans, GRRM is going to turn into a greasy cinnabun in like 2 years.

imfrustrtd
Apr 24, 2010
Er, well sorry to derail but I just thought I would leave this here: Raws for 333

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK
Watched the first two movie last night with my brother. Sure they left some stuff out and sometimes the CGI looked a little wonky but drat did I love seeing it animated like that. The action scenes were amazing and we watched the century slayer scene twice.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I still think the first episode of the TV series is the most badass Berserk animation (though I have yet to see the second movie.) I actually watched that show before I ever read the books so I was kind of pissed at what a bait and switch the whole season was. I wanted to see the Black Swordsman!

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
People have a weird habit of saying the animation in the first Berserk series is not good when the technique used actually holds up incredibly. The Japanese Blu-Ray sets are really nice and have converted from analog well.

The animation itself, from a technique perspective, is far better in the TV show than in the new movies (most of the time, depending on the animator during the scene as the team was pretty big). Though, some of the 2D segments in the new films have some incredibly keyframe work.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

imfrustrtd posted:

Er, well sorry to derail but I just thought I would leave this here: Raws for 333

Did they really hit land.. That isn't Elf Island? After 4 years? Ugh. What am I doing with my life.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Awesome Welles posted:

"TIL NEXT TIME!"

:smith:

From evil-genius:

He's a goon maybe??

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Koalas March posted:

Did they really hit land.. That isn't Elf Island? After 4 years? Ugh. What am I doing with my life.

Did you even read the same chapter as me? Guts' crew isn't in this at all. What are you talking about?

Annoying that this is just one chapter and then no date for the next though.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

notZaar posted:

I still think the first episode of the TV series is the most badass Berserk animation (though I have yet to see the second movie.) I actually watched that show before I ever read the books so I was kind of pissed at what a bait and switch the whole season was. I wanted to see the Black Swordsman!
I also saw the show before I read the books, and always loved the show possibly because of that. Goofy as hell opening theme, though.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!

Woebin posted:

I also saw the show before I read the books, and always loved the show possibly because of that. Goofy as hell opening theme, though.

Yeah, I had to laugh pretty hard when I finally read through it and saw this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I love the show's theme song. The broken english, out of tune guitars, it was perfect pump-up music to a really sad and depressing show.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

temple posted:

I love the show's theme song. The broken english, out of tune guitars, it was perfect pump-up music to a really sad and depressing show.

As much as I actually (unironically) love that song, everybody knows that Forces is the real Berserk OP song.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

laplace posted:

As much as I actually (unironically) love that song, everybody knows that Forces is the real Berserk OP song.
Oh, that's what that song is called. Awesome, I pretty much haven't heard it since I last watched through the show. Not that I don't love the actual opening song too, despite its goofiness. The ending theme does nothing for me though.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Woebin posted:

Oh, that's what that song is called. Awesome, I pretty much haven't heard it since I last watched through the show. Not that I don't love the actual opening song too, despite its goofiness. The ending theme does nothing for me though.

Yeah, and its by Hirasawa Susumu if you need the artist. He composed all of the music for the series score, as well as the two video games. He's known primarily for being the composer of Paprika, Paranoia Agent, and Millenium Actress aside from Berserk. He provided the opening theme for the remake movies as well, Aria, which is pretty much the only memorable song in both of those films because he didn't do the score for the full film.

The PS2 game has an awesome OP song as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV26zIE0130

The PS2 game was actually pretty good, aside from some strange casting for Serpico and Farnese. Mizushima Takahiro (Megaman X) for Serpico and Goto Yuko (Asahina Mikuru) for Farnese. Isidro is played by Yoshino Hiroyuki, who is one of my favorite seiyuu but the performance itself gets a lot of flack because a lot of people think he sounds like 10 years older than he should.

Yukana voices Schierke though, which is like spot on.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He only composed the main theme for the PS2 game, the rest of the music again being largely forgettable. I really do think that animated Berserk is missing something without a Susumu soundtrack and I'm convinced I'm harsher on the new Berserk movies than I otherwise would be because of it.

I really need to play the PS2 Berserk game properly, don't have a console that can do imports and last time I tried it on an emulator the game ran okay but the UI elements were all messed up, I should see if it's improved recently.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Yeah yeah Forces is good. I can't imagine watching Berserk without Forces.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Sakurazuka posted:

He only composed the main theme for the PS2 game, the rest of the music again being largely forgettable. I really do think that animated Berserk is missing something without a Susumu soundtrack and I'm convinced I'm harsher on the new Berserk movies than I otherwise would be because of it.

I really need to play the PS2 Berserk game properly, don't have a console that can do imports and last time I tried it on an emulator the game ran okay but the UI elements were all messed up, I should see if it's improved recently.

It's not a very good game, you're better off sticking with God of War for a good bloody mythological killfest.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

New chapter looks pretty good, we actually get to see Falconia again! Also the area around it. Those giant stone wings are pretty badass.

I'm wondering if Falconia will be the last bastion of humanity in the world, with Griffith establishing a protectorate over everyone there. And the rest of the world left to the apostles and the crazy magical creatures and the other members of the Godhand.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

After they're done with One Piece and Fist of the North Star, Koei should do a Warriors game in the Berserk universe. :getin:

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Awesome Welles posted:

After they're done with One Piece and Fist of the North Star, Koei should do a Warriors game in the Berserk universe. :getin:

Bonus Mode: 100 Apostle Slayer

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
How about a Berserk game with the Dark Souls engine? Every area bleak as all hell, every victory a hard-won struggle. A constant omnipresent feeling of preternatural oppression. Horrifying monsters that would give HR Giger nightmares. Big rear end swords.

Its creator even admitted to being influenced by Berserk. Cmon, it could happen.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Dragon's Dogma, which is quite similar to Dark Souls, even has Guts' and Griffith's armor and swords available.

Edit for image of said equipment:

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 30, 2012

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Urdnot Fire posted:

Dragon's Dogma, which is quite similar to Dark Souls, even has Guts' and Griffith's armor and swords available.

Welp I know what game I'm playing next on my ps3.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Soulcleaver posted:

How about a Berserk game with the Dark Souls engine? Every area bleak as all hell, every victory a hard-won struggle. A constant omnipresent feeling of preternatural oppression. Horrifying monsters that would give HR Giger nightmares. Big rear end swords.

Its creator even admitted to being influenced by Berserk. Cmon, it could happen.

It's weird, I spent a few hours today playing Dark Souls and after a certain point I was just like "this is just a Berserk side story game." Super awesome.

I haven't heard much about Dragon's Dogma, but I wanted it just because of Guts and Griffith's outfits/weapons.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dragon's Dogma isn't really a whole lot like Dark Souls, apart from maybe in aesthetics, the closest thing it really compares to is something like Gothic/Risen (on open world but more focused than an Elder Scrolls game) with a bit of Monster Hunter thrown in.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Dark Souls even has the wheeled zombies (who are annoying as gently caress assholes), a moth butterfly boss, and quite a few other similarities. Also a lot of the friends you encounter die/turn against you and you have to kill them.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Yeah, Dragon's Dogma is a bit different from Dark Souls. It's still an action RPG, but it's got more emphasis on adventuring. The gameplay revolves more around doing questlines, as opposed to wandering from place to place. The combat is a bit different, too, since it uses a class system with specific skills/equipment/etc locked to each class. So in Dark Souls, you could level yourself up to use whatever equipment and whatever spells. In Dragon's Dogma, you have to be one of X classes to be able to cast spells, or one of X classes to use giant swords.

The game is still super fun, and it starts out against you pretty harshly. There's a Day/Night system, and Nighttime is really terrifying early on (just like Berserk~). However, later on, it's fairly easy to overlevel and the game gets easy. But then you get to another portion of the game and the difficulty pops back up.
Some of the developers/producers for the game were actually from the Devil May Cry series (I think they worked on 2-4), and you can see a handful of elements from that game carried over to Dragon's Dogma, as well as some other mechanics from other Capcom games (i.e. Monster Hunter).

It's definitely got the aesthetic that you'd find in Berserk, so if you enjoy the setting and characters of the manga, I'm sure you'll also enjoy the same things in Dragon's Dogma.

Also, the Griffith and Guts equipment is kind of in a weird place. If you pick up the game, you might need to look up how to find the stuff.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
The Berserk influence in Dark Souls is really obvious at some points:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkLdq70Wugo

That's basically exactly how I imagine the berserker armor to behave, and I really hope it's animated so well.

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun

Urdnot Fire posted:

Edit for image of said equipment:

Did they ever release this in the states for the armour and swords? I been wanting to get the game because it is kinda Dark Soul'ish, but the Berserk stuff is a big bonus.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

lyricaldanichan posted:

Did they ever release this in the states for the armour and swords? I been wanting to get the game because it is kinda Dark Soul'ish, but the Berserk stuff is a big bonus.
They did, but as mentioned it's kind of hard to find (you have to do a quest called Of Merchants and Monsters and clear out its associated area, the Ancient Quarry, which is west of Gran Soren).

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

lyricaldanichan posted:

Dragon's Dogma is not at all Dark Soul'ish except for maybe a dank dungeon or two. You're going to be disappointed with it if that's what you're expecting.

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun

notZaar posted:

Dragon's Dogma is not at all Dark Soul'ish except for maybe a dank dungeon or two. You're going to be disappointed with it if that's what you're expecting.

That is why I said kinda like it, NZ

Will have to check out that quest thanks for the heads up UF.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man, is the US release of the first movie as bare bones as the UK one? It's literally just the film, on a disc, in a box.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Yup.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Man, is the US release of the first movie as bare bones as the UK one? It's literally just the film, on a disc, in a box.

I thought it was a bootleg DVD when I first saw the box at the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Well, the UK actually got a collectors edition.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Berserk-Film-Collectors-Edition-Blu-ray/dp/B008X70QE2

Its really quite nice. The film on both Bluray and DVD, with the data booklet attached to the case. The case itself feels kind of like a book cover (thick cardboard) and is the size of a DVD case.

Here are some images with horrendous amounts of flash.

Honestly, Kaze/manga have been doing a bang up job with their releases in general.