Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zwabu posted:

Crossposted from documentary thread:

Queen of Versailles - garish couple try to turn the hundreds of millions from the husband's timeshare hawking business into America's largest and most ostentatious home in Orlando, FL, then run into economic hard times when the home is only a half built shell and hilarity ensues. It's pretty much the perfect documentation of the trashy reality show that is America over the last decade or so.
So it's Arrested Development?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

George Jefferson cop
Plantation spooks oppose
Slave jests this Ghost Fever

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

SRM posted:

So it's Arrested Development?
If the cast of any E! reality show replaced them then yes. Bonus points for showing the stuffed dog.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
The Artist was fantastic. If you don't know about it, it's about an actor (played by the amazing Jean Dujardin) during the transition from silent films to the talkies of the late 20's. The film itself is a silent film of that style and he won best lead actor for the role.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

The Artist was fantastic. If you don't know about it, it's about an actor (played by the amazing Jean Dujardin) during the transition from silent films to the talkies of the late 20's. The film itself is a silent film of that style and he won best lead actor for the role.

I thought it was a good movie, but I don't think it was worthy of the Best Picture Oscar, and I think its going to be one of those movies that will have people scratching their heads in a few years, and likely even just forgotten. Although, not nearly egregious as Crash or The Hurt Locker winning.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Nihonniboku posted:

I thought it was a good movie, but I don't think it was worthy of the Best Picture Oscar, and I think its going to be one of those movies that will have people scratching their heads in a few years, and likely even just forgotten. Although, not nearly egregious as Crash or The Hurt Locker winning.

I kind of agree with this (I liked but didn't love the film) but drat if Mr. Dujardin doesn't have the greatest smile, it's just amazing to see. Perfect face for a silent actor.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

regulargonzalez posted:

I kind of agree with this (I liked but didn't love the film) but drat if Mr. Dujardin doesn't have the greatest smile, it's just amazing to see. Perfect face for a silent actor.

I've mentioned this during Artist chat before, but if you love Dujardin and that movie be sure to also check out the OSS 117 movies (Also on Netflix), where that star-director team spoofs 1960s spy flicks in hilarious fashion. Dujardin is just as good when he speaks as well, and those are some of my favorite comedies.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Nihonniboku posted:

I think the fact that, despite being one of the biggest movies of last year, Fiendish Dr. Wu felt the need to introduce it to us with a "in case you haven't heard of it" disclaimer proves its already being forgotten about.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

PriorMarcus posted:

I think the fact that, despite being one of the biggest movies of last year, Fiendish Dr. Wu felt the need to introduce it to us with a "in case you haven't heard of it" disclaimer proves its already being forgotten about.

I did have a parenthetical afterwards that was going to say something about not sure which rock you've been under, but I left it out.

I guess I liked it so much because it was so different (by today's standards) and I have a thing for that era.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I did have a parenthetical afterwards that was going to say something about not sure which rock you've been under, but I left it out.

I guess I liked it so much because it was so different (by today's standards) and I have a thing for that era.

I liked it, and I definitely think that the cast deserve the accolades it got, however, I don't think it was anywhere near being a best picture nominee in quality.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't think it was anywhere near being a best picture nominee in quality.

When is that ever the case, though? At this point I'm just happy that something memorable and weird like The Artist won instead of yet another period piece Oscar bait.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Farbtoner posted:

When is that ever the case, though? At this point I'm just happy that something memorable and weird like The Artist won instead of yet another period piece Oscar bait.

While I'm all right with it winning, "period piece Oscar bait" is exactly how a lot of people I know looked at The Artist, and I can't really blame them. 2011's Oscars kind of stunk of "remember the old traditions of Hollywood? We should bring them back!" between that, Hugo and others.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You do have to admit there's a certain amount of daring in trying to make and release a black and white silent film at all in the year of our Lord two thousand and eleven.

I don't think it's the best film of the year but I don't see it as being particularly unworthy either.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I liked Midnight in Paris better, but The Artist was still wonderful and I don't get why people are begrudging it winning. I thought Hugo was terrible and The Tree of Life was incomprehensible, but a lot of people thought they were brilliant and I appreciate that they were nominated. Hugo was probably the most "baity" movie being period and a loose biopic.

Hewlett posted:

While I'm all right with it winning, "period piece Oscar bait" is exactly how a lot of people I know looked at The Artist, and I can't really blame them. 2011's Oscars kind of stunk of "remember the old traditions of Hollywood? We should bring them back!" between that, Hugo and others.

Eh, I didn't really get that vibe from The Artist or Hugo. I viewed them more as a celebration of the origins of film than a nostalgic pining for those times. There may have been some subtle desire to see a return to passion filmmaking over commercial filmmaking (even if it was very commercial back then), but I don't think it was a major point of either.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Malloreon posted:

The West Wing is now on Netflix Instant. All 7 seasons.

I've actually only seen maybe one episode of this show, but I'm pretty excited to start now.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I liked Midnight in Paris better, but The Artist was still wonderful and I don't get why people are begrudging it winning. I thought Hugo was terrible and The Tree of Life was incomprehensible, but a lot of people thought they were brilliant and I appreciate that they were nominated. Hugo was probably the most "baity" movie being period and a loose biopic.

Eh, I didn't really get that vibe from The Artist or Hugo. I viewed them more as a celebration of the origins of film than a nostalgic pining for those times. There may have been some subtle desire to see a return to passion filmmaking over commercial filmmaking (even if it was very commercial back then), but I don't think it was a major point of either.

Of, I'm just arguing about the public perception of the films, I agree they weren't strictly trying for that. I just thought the Academys darlings that year fell along a cerain pattern.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Hugo was magical. I think it should have been between Midnight in Paris and Hugo for the top nod.

SouthLAnd posted:

I've actually only seen maybe one episode of this show, but I'm pretty excited to start now.

Its viewed better if you acknowledge what it is: a sitcom. While it does have its serious moments, and certainly tries to take itself very seriously, it is mostly full of the zany antics and frequent one-liners of the White House staff, with President Bartlett in the role of the bumbling dad whose only wisdom comes at the end of each episode where he explains the lesson of the week to the children, or rather his staff. You get such gems as whole episodes centering on the President, sick in bed with the flu, desperately trying to have sex with his wife while his staff have to work hard to try and convince him that he needs to stay in bed to rest. Really, if you put a laugh track over the show, it wouldn't seem out of place at all.

The show is respectable for being revolutionary at the time for being one of the only shows at the time of its quality. It was at the forefront of the golden era of television that began in the late 90's with shows like itself, The Sopranos and Six Feet Under, but I think that it is dated now in that there have just been so many other better shows since then.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Hugo was magical. I think it should have been between Midnight in Paris and Hugo for the top nod.

Its viewed better if you acknowledge what it is: a sitcom. While it does have its serious moments, and certainly tries to take itself very seriously, it is mostly full of the zany antics and frequent one-liners of the White House staff, with President Bartlett in the role of the bumbling dad whose only wisdom comes at the end of each episode where he explains the lesson of the week to the children, or rather his staff. You get such gems as whole episodes centering on the President, sick in bed with the flu, desperately trying to have sex with his wife while his staff have to work hard to try and convince him that he needs to stay in bed to rest. Really, if you put a laugh track over the show, it wouldn't seem out of place at all.

The show is respectable for being revolutionary at the time for being one of the only shows at the time of its quality. It was at the forefront of the golden era of television that began in the late 90's with shows like itself, The Sopranos and Six Feet Under, but I think that it is dated now in that there have just been so many other better shows since then.

Yeah the West Wing is definitely very Clinton-era-y, but its still fun to watch just because it has so many good actors in it. It is a bit weird watching it in 2012 after two middle-eastern wars, 9/11, and a collapsed economy and in the show they're pondering what to do with the budget surplus or something.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Nihonniboku posted:

... but I think that [The West Wing] is dated now in that there have just been so many other better shows since then.
On the other hand, we rewatched the entire series about a year ago and were really impressed how relevant each episode seemed to be regarding current politics. While I'm not a fan of the seventh season compared to the rest of the series, it's all worth watching.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Hugo was probably the most "baity" movie being period and a loose biopic.
I think you forgot about the movie where an autistic boy remembers his father Tom Hanks who died in the twin towers.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

kuddles posted:

I think you forgot about the movie where an autistic boy remembers his father Tom Hanks who died in the twin towers.

Add to that the fact that it only really turns into a biopic in the last hour, the first half being just a Scorcese esque steampunk kids movie.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

kuddles posted:

Intentionally, yes. Also it seemed to have crossed too far over the line between "heartstring tugger" and "exploitative schmaltz" and I think most people were puzzled by its nomination given its general reception. Hugo was a critical darling.

Hewlett posted:

Add to that the fact that it only really turns into a biopic in the last hour, the first half being just a Scorcese esque steampunk kids movie.

True. I might have enjoyed it more if it hadn't felt like it was dragging its feet for the first hour with a stupid orphan cliche trying to solve a personal mystery I felt no investment in. I enjoyed the 30-40 minutes that were actually about Méliès.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
I've only seen a few episodes of the West Wing, but one included Toby smuggly giving a condescending speach to WTO protesters infused with the wisdom of moderate liberalism. Go gently caress yourself Toby.

Pandabearassault
Sep 1, 2004

The only bar with soul...of children
There's a ton of Columbo episodes on Netflix and they are excellent. Not only are the plotlines very interesting, it's always fun to see guests like Leslie Neilsen and Leonard Nimoy show up.

For you unfortunate souls who are unfamiliar with the show, Columbo is about a disheveled, friendly detective who solves murders. Peter Falk plays the lead and he is so drat likeable that you can't help but watch episode after episode. It's really great to watch Columbo slowly unravel complex murder mysteries in a way that doesn't involve superhuman abilities(like Sherlock, which rules) or ludicrous technology(CSI).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Columbo rules and I seriously doubt anyone other than Peter Falk could've pulled it off. It's really clever and sly with its protagonist who essentially just irritates people into incriminating themselves.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Columbo is awesome and I wish all the episodes were up. Falk is amazing of course, but you've got to tip your hat to the stellar writing of that series. A 90+ minute detective show where you know who the murderer is right from the beginning, and yet you can always start an episode knowing it will be completely captivating. There are only a few duds in the whole run.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I used to watch Columbo with my grandmother all the time. I love it when the crook thinks he's in the clear and then Columbo goes, "Oh yeah, just one more thing."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

kuddles posted:

Columbo is awesome and I wish all the episodes were up. Falk is amazing of course, but you've got to tip your hat to the stellar writing of that series. A 90+ minute detective show where you know who the murderer is right from the beginning, and yet you can always start an episode knowing it will be completely captivating. There are only a few duds in the whole run.

This is very true, people like to pretend that this is the first time good writing ever appeared in TV shows but they are just remembering the stretch of their childhood that was crammed full of awful sitcoms and cartoons made to sell toys.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Pandabearassault posted:

There's a ton of Columbo episodes on Netflix and they are excellent. Not only are the plotlines very interesting, it's always fun to see guests like Leslie Neilsen and Leonard Nimoy show up.

For you unfortunate souls who are unfamiliar with the show, Columbo is about a disheveled, friendly detective who solves murders. Peter Falk plays the lead and he is so drat likeable that you can't help but watch episode after episode. It's really great to watch Columbo slowly unravel complex murder mysteries in a way that doesn't involve superhuman abilities(like Sherlock, which rules) or ludicrous technology(CSI).

Columbo's weird dubious look is a lot of what made his character work. Interestingly it was from him having a glass right eye, it was removed when he was a kid. Watching the show on Netflix on a bigger screen you can really see how fake it is.

Once I knew that, Columbo because a 90 minute show about me trying to see his fake eye, just like how MASH is now a 30 minute show where I try to spot radar's crippled hand.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The New Legend of Shaolin, aka Bad Parenting: The Movie, sure is a weird film. I've been on a Wong Jing kick lately. He is everything that is great and terrible about 90's Hong Kong cinema.

I really wish God of Gamblers was on streaming.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
What's the deal with show availability on Netflix? I understand it's all tied to rights issues about what they can stream and where they can do it, but I don't get the way they go about things. UK shows available only in the US, US shows only available in the UK, Canada getting some seriously good movies releases at times.

I mean, I use Unblock-US so it's not an issue, but it's weird I have to use the UK stream to watching the latest Breaking Bad or Portlandia, or Canadas to watch whatever new movie out of the US. poo poo be weird.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

What's the deal with show availability on Netflix? I understand it's all tied to rights issues about what they can stream and where they can do it, but I don't get the way they go about things. UK shows available only in the US, US shows only available in the UK, Canada getting some seriously good movies releases at times.

I mean, I use Unblock-US so it's not an issue, but it's weird I have to use the UK stream to watching the latest Breaking Bad or Portlandia, or Canadas to watch whatever new movie out of the US. poo poo be weird.

The rights issues aren't just a matter of who has the right to what, but what makes money where. For instance, they've tried to show Breaking Bad on TV in the UK twice and it failed miserably both times, so showing the new season on Netflix isn't hurting anything. Whereas in the US, I'm sure AMC wants to get its fill of reruns first. Likewise, I'm sure there's stuff the BBC can't get on air here so it doesn't hurt to have it on Netflix.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

How do you guys manage your international queues? I didn't know that the new season of Breaking Bad was on Netflix UK, and I'd love to have access to the new season of Portlandia. I already have a VPN with nodes around the world so that part isn't a problem, I just want to know how you keep track of what's available where.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I find it funny that 'Girls With Low Self Esteem' is still in the top 10 most popular titles on Instant Watcher but hardly any of the other fake AD shows are in the top 50.

eleven extra elephants fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 29, 2012

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008
Despite its three star rating I thought Four Rooms was pretty fantastic. Especially the Robert Roduigez segment "The Misbehavers" which turned into an adult version of Looney Toons. Four out of five. Good times.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
^^ I've always loved that movie, and I find it kind of surprising that it bombed as hard as it did.

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I find it funny that 'Girls With Low Self Esteem' is still in the top 10 most popular titles on Instant Watcher but hardly any of the other fake AD shows are in the top 50.

I think that just proves the sad fact that if Girls Gone Wild were actually on Netflix it'd be the most watched thing by people who don't know how to search for porn on the internet/don't have a computer.

Anyway, I just watched Indie Game: The Movie last night after my misgivings about it. I figured it'd just be an internet-quality fanwank project, but it's actually a really good documentary in its own right. It has all the drama of something like "King of Kong", it just happens to be about small-team game developers.

Edmund McMillen and Tommy Refenes (Super Meat Boy) were the most likable and interesting to watch of the bunch, they probably could've made an entire movie just around those two and their families/spouses. JB of Braid was like some inscrutable alien being, and Phil Fish came across like a hot-headed flaming douchebag.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tewratomeh posted:

^^ I've always loved that movie, and I find it kind of surprising that it bombed as hard as it did.

I think that just proves the sad fact that if Girls Gone Wild were actually on Netflix it'd be the most watched thing by people who don't know how to search for porn on the internet/don't have a computer.

I'm not going to post the Netflix Porn site again but there is definitely an undercurrent of people who use it for celebrity/rape porn.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Tewratomeh posted:

Edmund McMillen and Tommy Refenes (Super Meat Boy) were the most likable and interesting to watch of the bunch, they probably could've made an entire movie just around those two and their families/spouses. JB of Braid was like some inscrutable alien being, and Phil Fish came across like a hot-headed flaming douchebag.
Yup, and the thing with Phil's former partner really started to bother me. He seemed to be presented really negatively, and a lot of the conflict involving him seemed forced. (i.e. They made a big deal about how he hadn't signed off on that form yet and it turned out to not really be an issue.) It doesn't help that since most of that footage has been filmed, Phil Fish has pretty much revealed himself to be an egotistical rear end in a top hat who has trouble working with others which makes that one-sided portrayal of their fallout much harder to swallow.

I liked how the hidden theme of the movie, though, was essentially "Working with Microsoft is a complete nightmare."

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

kuddles posted:

It doesn't help that since most of that footage has been filmed, Phil Fish has pretty much revealed himself to be an egotistical rear end in a top hat who has trouble working with others which makes that one-sided portrayal of their fallout much harder to swallow.

Well, at first you kind of empathize with Fish when he talks about all of the problems he had during development, about his partner leaving the project and then his girlfriend leaving him. But then later on, as he starts ramping up the drama you get the impression that both of those things might, in fact, be due to Fish's personality and not so much bad things happening to a guy for no good reason. It's especially glaring when you put it up against McMillen and Refenes, who respond to similar pressures in a much more level-headed way. They also seem ready to blame themselves (well, and Microsoft, but that's reasonable) before they blame anybody else for any potential failure.

That aside, I laughed my rear end off at Phil freaking out at all the game-breaking bugs. He was just so tense and nobody else seemed to give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
May I humbly recommend the fp for your viewing pleasure.

Same distro company that ended up with the right to Miami connection (another amazing film). The digital revolution has allowed people to make some crazy poo poo and this my friends is crazy poo poo.

The difference between the fp and Miami connection is the fp is always winking at you where Miami connection really wanted to be something. They are both special but Miami connection is not streaming. It's best to see it in a loud cinema at midnight anyhow.

https://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_FP/70180031?locale=en-US

• Locked thread