Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Feeple posted:

Combat is a bit abstract, but the core mechanics seem solid. Anyone want to make a thread for the SW LCG?

I'm writing one up now. I guess I'll link it here when I'm done.

e: it's a start!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523602

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Red Robin Hood posted:

FantasyFlight have been putting out some really great games lately. Most notably X-Wing and this baby (that looks incredible!): http://youtu.be/6vB23NCXYxs

Lurking this thread, emerging to agree with this sentiment, I think I've only had fun playing a variety of FFG's efforts.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
So the expansions are pretty cheap on Amazon right now, free shipping with Prime if you have that.
TIE Advanced $6.39
TIE Fighter $6.79
Y-Wing $8.49
X-Wing $7.74

Just ordered a base set and looking at grabbing some of these. Any sets I should avoid? Any I should get 2 of?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I got to play this last night! :neckbeard:

A guy from our warham group went to one of the Kessel Run events near us and placed 3ed, picking up an interceptor. I played him after my warham game last night using an X wing and a Y wing versus his interceptor, and two named TIE pilots. He put the hurt on my X wing but I blew up his interceptor in the first pass, after that we did some awesome dog fighting. I dropped another TIE but he wound up getting my X wing and got the Y wing down to one hull point. After that it was a crazy cat and mouse game, but I got lucky with my ion cannon(thank god for the turret) and kept him stunned through some nerve wracking dice rolls.

I am definitely picking this up.

e:

Casyl posted:

Amazon deal

Whelp, I just bought one of each. Hope I get that starter set for Christmas! :v:

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 19, 2012

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I really wish the new ships were up for preorder at those prices...I already have enough Wave 1 ships to field pretty much any non-gimmick build I could ever want.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Sulecrist posted:

like in Star Fox.

I'm going to hope you meant to say TIE Fighter there, or else I'm going to be REALLY disappointed.

I haven't had a chance to pick this up yet, mainly because I'm waiting to see if they do some of the cooler EU stuff, but if they did a Battlefleet Gothic-esque capital ship expansion I would be all over that.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Feeple posted:

Combat is a bit abstract, but the core mechanics seem solid. Anyone want to make a thread for the SW LCG?

I'm starting to suspect the game balance is very broken. I have a Rebel deck that hasn't lost once. Direct damage is just too good.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Casyl posted:

So the expansions are pretty cheap on Amazon right now, free shipping with Prime if you have that.
TIE Advanced $6.39
TIE Fighter $6.79
Y-Wing $8.49
X-Wing $7.74

Just ordered a base set and looking at grabbing some of these. Any sets I should avoid? Any I should get 2 of?

God dammit at this point maybe I should start doubling up on expansions. This is the cheapest I've seen.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
I need to pick up another X and Y, and probably two more TIE fighters. I don't think I need a second TIA/A though. And then when the second wave hits, I'll probably buy two A-wings and Squints, and one each of the big ships. My wallet is already weeping :ohdear:

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Those TIEs are cheaper than I can get them at my wholesale distribution rates. They are losing money on them.

I have distribution accounts with FFG, and with Warpathgames.com

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
gently caress, they wont ship them to the UK. :(

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
There is a limit of 3 items each or 6 total I'm not sure...

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

Serotonin posted:

gently caress, they wont ship them to the UK. :(

For Australians - The TIE Advanced expansion and the Y-Wing will ship to Australia.

The X-Wing and TIE Fighters will not which is really strange. I'm guessing none of them are meant to ship to Australia so I jumped in quick.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
Welp. Looks like I missed out on that deal. I was traveling all day and when I went to go purchase them the price had increased a few bucks each.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
I was worried that the A-wing didn't pack enough punch to hit tie fighters, but after playing a few games with one, I'm less worried. Tycho can outmaneuver regular tie's so hard that I spent a lot of turns rolling three dice with focus. I haven't had a chance to play with the interceptor yet, but Turr looks soooo good I can't wait.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Tycho with Push the Limit and Wedge with Expert Handling or Engine Upgrade sounds like a ton of points fun!

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber
I've never been one to sleeve my cards, but X-Wing is getting played quite a bit. Any recommendations?

Are there even sleeves for the little cards..?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Alberta Cross posted:

I've never been one to sleeve my cards, but X-Wing is getting played quite a bit. Any recommendations?

Are there even sleeves for the little cards..?

Do you have a local board game store or anything? FF makes card sleeves for the little ones: http://amzn.to/12Bq4BZ

And pick out some rad Star Wars themed card sleeves? http://amzn.to/VRibCk

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber

Red Robin Hood posted:

Do you have a local board game store or anything? FF makes card sleeves for the little ones: http://amzn.to/12Bq4BZ

And pick out some rad Star Wars themed card sleeves? http://amzn.to/VRibCk

Thanks for that! I'll head to my FLGS tomorrow and see what he's got in stock.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Ok I am about pickup some of those cheap expansions off of Amazon. How many of each should I be getting if I plan on getting two box sets?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Ok I am about pickup some of those cheap expansions off of Amazon. How many of each should I be getting if I plan on getting two box sets?

So far the consensus seems to be "one of each", since then you have all the unique stuff that comes with them. It's not as though Amazon won't offer more sales.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Also the prices are all on the upswing again. Already missed out on the massive deals.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

The Gate posted:

Tycho with Push the Limit and Wedge with Expert Handling or Engine Upgrade sounds like a ton of points fun!

Rogue Squadron here we go!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Can anyone give me an idea of about how much play space is needed to comfortably play this game? I've been thinking about picking it up, but I live in a 2 bedroom apartment and there is only so much available table space.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Chomp8645 posted:

Can anyone give me an idea of about how much play space is needed to comfortably play this game? I've been thinking about picking it up, but I live in a 2 bedroom apartment and there is only so much available table space.

We play on a 3' x 4' space and deploy our forces in the "2" range. It works well!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

The game itself calls for 3'x3'.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Cool, that's actually space I have. For some reason I imagined the game would need more.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
I played a 100 point game in a 4x4 space and it only took us 2 rounds to engage, so it works with bigger spaces or smaller spaces.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
In all 3 rounds I played in the Kessel Run tourney, we had combat occurring no later than the 3rd movement, and that was 100pt squads on a 3'x3' space.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Even a 2x2 space would work in a pinch really.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Making the play area fit a kitchen table was genius on FFG's part. It's easier than anything to set up a nice half-hour game of screaming TIE death!

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

I got the core set for Xmas to go with the expansions I bought. :getin:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Naramyth posted:

I got the core set for Xmas to go with the expansions I bought. :getin:

Same here! Now to get another core set and probably more expansions.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

The Gate posted:

Same here! Now to get another core set and probably more expansions.

:frogc00l::respek::frogc00l:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Just remember the Falcon, A-wings, and TIE interceptors are coming out in February, so don't spend all your x-wing money yet. Slave I is coming out then too but it's a stupid prisoner transport ship that nobody likes.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Fox of Stone posted:

Just remember the Falcon, A-wings, and TIE interceptors are coming out in February, so don't spend all your x-wing money yet. Slave I is coming out then too but it's a stupid prisoner transport ship that nobody likes.

But it also has awesome upgrade cards you can use on other ships. :/

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Poopy Palpy posted:

Speaking of upgrade cards, I noticed in the builder that Rebels can't take swarm tactics/team leader but I can't find a reason why in the book.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Naramyth posted:

Speaking of upgrade cards, I noticed in the builder that Rebels can't take swarm tactics/team leader but I can't find a reason why in the book.

Probably a fault with the builder, rebels certainly can take those cards.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Naramyth posted:

They show as available for me on that page, maybe an old version got cached or something on you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Poopy Palpy posted:

I think those come with the falcon too. (I'm gonna end up buying 2 falcons as a gimmick build :negative:)

• Locked thread